Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

I think Flamini will be limited to his midfield position this year taking into consideration along Seedorf he is the only cover to the starting three.

Antonini has shown great determination last season, I think he can play on the left also right?

Last edited:

Rocky, there's no need to get on the defensive ;)) . no one here is having a go at juventus. When Abhishek or Rfu or Milanista or i criticize juve's market strategies, we don't do it with a biased anti-juve intent
Speak for yourself Lo Zio :LOL: as an Interista its always my intention to offend Juve/Milan fans :APPLAUD: But Lo Zio is also right about all of us wanting to see an ultra competitive Juve this season... I was miserable the whole ten months Juve were relegated, there's no serie A without Juve competing for first spot (I have to say its getting boring winning the Scudetto by landslide :D). Melo is a great buy (certainly better than Poulsen or Thiago) but did they need him? THere's room for him in midfield, but again did they need him? D'Ago was a cheaper and more suitable alternative, but with Melo, Juve are very much a team to be reckoned with.

I think we will alternate with Borriello and who ever comes in. I agree though, I don't think we're that bad off as people think, thats why I'm quite positive about our summer. I think we have a lot of talent - Pato, Abate, Di Gennaro (He was dubbed a wonderkid in our youth team ... some really good videos of him on youtube too).
You know I completely forgot about Borriello. But I'm really on the fence about him. What's to stop him from being the next Gilardino? Unless Milan plan on playing with wide men, I don't really see the point Abate, he's a workhorse, super fast, but doesn't offer much else. Di Gennaro on the otherhand is certainly interesting player. I've watched him a couple of games with Reginna, I really couldn't believe Milan sent him on loan in favor of Sheva :SHOCK: Atleast he got more playtime. I'm a bit confused as to what position he plays, he's a very technical player with good pace. He did well playing off COrradi, and if I remember correctly he scored against Milan a few months ago. But he still has some way to go. If he didn't manage to start games for Reggina, what makes you think he's good enough to play for Milan?

I know its early and there's still another month to go, but I really think Milan have shot themselves in the foot this time round. The sale of Kaka must rank as one of the worst transfer decisions in the history of football. I thought only Inter were capable of such gaffes but evidently not. When Juve sold ZZ to Real Madrid for at the time, a world record fee, at least they formulated a plan: they brought in Buffon and THuram, and Nedved from Lazio to replace him. Not bad huh? I have to say Zidane at the time wasn't even as good Kaka and Milan relied on Kaka more so than Juve did on Zidane. What's funny is that Kaka didn't even want to leave. Exaclty what was the plan here? Who were they going to replace Kaka with? Milan lost their best defender to Maldini, their coach to UCL competitor and so they decide it's okay to lose thier best forward. What sense does this make? If Inter sold Ibra we could get Cassano no problem. Maicon? We could replace with Santon and another back up, not like-for-like but workable. I make these points not because I am anti-Milan, but it just doesn't make any sense.

I think a lot offensively will depend on Ronaldinho which is a bit of a worry
My thoughts exactly, his form has been too erractic over the last two seasons. God forbid he gets injured for a good chunk of the season.

The absolute worst part of it all is that while Milan are dismantling their team, all the mid-level clubs are building on last season's succeses, teams like Napoli, Palemro, Sampdoria and Fiorentina. Will we even see Milan anywhere near the top 4 next season? One final thing, nevermind the fact that Kaka is one of the greatest players of our generation, one of the few trequartistas comparable to the all time greats, Kaka is also true professional, not in it for the money or the fame, but because he loves the game of football. Goodluck replacing that with 3/4 players.

Who knows, maybe Milan are taking a 'season off' to balance the books and then launch an assault on the transfer market in the 2010/11 season. Could be.

Last edited:

Well personally being slightly positive maybe this is exactly what Ronaldinho needed. All the pressure on his shoulders to step up. I seriously wouldn't be suprised if he as a amazing season.

You know I completely forgot about Borriello. But I'm really on the fence about him. What's to stop him from being the next Gilardino? Unless Milan plan on playing with wide men, I don't really see the point Abate, he's a workhorse, super fast, but doesn't offer much else.

When Borriello played last season we usually won and he was always involved with the actual goals scored. I wrote up a little bit about him a few pages ago and there were statistics showing that every time Borriello started, we scored and won.

About Abate, I'm quite sure he will play a big part this season. He will play as a winger or a fullback I think and will offer pace since our team is pretty fast upfront with Pato already. I'm expecting him to start shining and I'm sure Milan fans will start seeing him as a good player

I know its early and there's still another month to go, but I really think Milan have shot themselves in the foot this time round. The sale of Kaka must rank as one of the worst transfer decisions in the history of football. I thought only Inter were capable of such gaffes but evidently not. When Juve sold ZZ to Real Madrid for at the time, a world record fee, at least they formulated a plan: they brought in Buffon and THuram, and Nedved from Lazio to replace him. Not bad huh? I have to say Zidane at the time wasn't even as good Kaka and Milan relied on Kaka more so than Juve did on Zidane. What's funny is that Kaka didn't even want to leave. Exaclty what was the plan here? Who were they going to replace Kaka with? Milan lost their best defender to Maldini, their coach to UCL competitor and so they decide it's okay to lose thier best forward. What sense does this make? If Inter sold Ibra we could get Cassano no problem. Maicon? We could replace with Santon and another back up, not like-for-like but workable. I make these points not because I am anti-Milan, but it just doesn't make any sense.

One final thing, nevermind the fact that Kaka is one of the greatest players of our generation, one of the few trequartistas comparable to the all time greats, Kaka is also true professional, not in it for the money or the fame, but because he loves the game of football. Goodluck replacing that with 3/4 players.

I agree with you that losing Kaka is a huge blow, but I think me, similar to Leonardo, see it also as a good thing. Before, Ancelotti relied on 'his' men... players that he would not remove even in poor form such as Seedorf, Kaka and Pirlo. Our team basically relied on Pirlo and Kaka to initiate play, which made Milan predictable and slow. Leonardo seems to be a rotation type of manager who focuses on pace and spreading out play on the flanks. His signings are all quite physical and pacey - Di Gennaro, Pato, Kaka, Abate, Thiago Silva, Onyewu and possibly Luis Fabiano are all pretty quick players. If you look at Ancelotti's type of signings theyre usually people like Emerson, Favalli, Adebayor-esque players etc... so its a new type of game we're after.

Milan in the last 3 years was basically this: Pass to Pirlo, he looks for Pato or Pippo making the run, long pass to them. Pass to Kaka and rely on him to beat a man then send it to Pato. Far too predictable and wasting too much possession.

Kaka out means we won't rely on him to beat a man then set up play, it means we can play through our other creative players such as Ronaldinho and Pato.

imo Kaka was mediocre last season for his level and I think transferring him now rather than later was the best thing to do. I doubt we would've got the same sum and Milan needed change. Kaka was part of a different system.

I have to disagree about Maldini - I thought he was poor last season and that Bonera and Favalli did much better than him. When Maldini played he was huffing and puffing and was always messing up the offside trap.

Last edited:

It will be interesting to see where Ronaldinho plays now. I'm guessing Milan would play with a 4-3-3, and I don't think he'll suit playing out wide, as he just doesn't have the pace anymore. Be great to see him playing central behind the attackers. Whatever you say, he's still one of the best passers in the world.

I agree, and I really think the fans and the management have faith in him, which is exactly what he needs. He will also have continuity so he can build up confidence and fitness. Last season towards the end, when he came on as a sub he was doing some crazy things with the ball... he's still got it but just needs support and continuity.

I don't think we will rely on him... I think we will rely on our striker to act as target man and Pato to run at defenders.

Mark my words, he will have a good season! :D

Last edited:

I think he'll do well with young and hungry players like Pato, Borriello and Abate around him.

Comparing Borriello to Gilardino, well I hope Borriello gets 19 goals in his first season and 16 in his second. I think the new formation will be more comfortable to a striker than the christmas tree.

About Ronaldinho, The only game this season were I saw marks of the Real Dinho was the away Inter game. Such precision in passing and amazing dribbling abilities. Kaka was out injured so he was the center of attention. Can't get enough of this video :D

He definitely needs consistency and motivation. Hope he finds that.

Defence? Well this season's defence was a one to forget, one of the worst in Milan history.

He'll never lose the talent, just like Fat Ronaldo, he just needs to make sure he stays hungry and if he's the centre of the team then the responsibility will give him the hunger.

I hope so anyway because he is an absolute joy to watch when he's playing well.

Speak for yourself Lo Zio :LOL: .

fair enough :D

rfu said:
Unless Milan plan on playing with wide men, I don't really see the point Abate, he's a workhorse, super fast, but doesn't offer much else. Di Gennaro on the otherhand is certainly interesting player

:OOOH::OOOH: :SHOCK::SHOCK: :CONFUSE::CONFUSE:
blasphemy!!!!!!
abate is fast and very determined.... but theese are not his only qualities at all.... actually theese aren't even his main qualities. di gennaro is just a promise at this stage of his carreer (a good promise sure, but nothing more), while abate already is much more than a promise.
u don't get any playtime in italy's under 21 if you're just fast. let alone becoming a regular azzurro ;)

unfortunately i'm afraid he won't get the playtime he needs and deserves at milan (pretty much like giovinco at juve).... but there's hope.

btw guys... i have big expectations on borriello too.... but becoming "the next gilardino"? that's a bit of a stretch, let's not push too much on the guy....just yet :))

zeem said:
Antonini has shown great determination last season, I think he can play on the left also right?
he's been your best fullback last season imo... at least until his injury. he's very good, very complete and versatile... his natural position is on the right but he can play on the left aswell.... infact ronaldinho said antonini has been his favourite side-partner this season (the chemistry between those 2 was pretty evident on the pitch).

he probably won't ever become a world class player as zambrotta was (but who knows), but he's very, very good and extremely consistant (much more consistant than the former world class player zambrotta ;) ).

milanista said:
I think it would be criminal to start Oddo ahead of Antonini
...i think it would be criminal to start oddo. period. :P

Last edited:

What are his main qualities lo zio?
I'm interested to find out myself. Not only that but he doesn't fit in the current Milan system. And being a regular with U21s doesn't mean much (to me atleast). How many U21 regulars have made it at the top flight? Out of all the promising players such as Baronio, Coco (the next Maldini :APPLAUD:), Ferrari, Barzagli, Zaccardo, Bonera, Amelia... none are plying their trade amongst the top European clubs or even the NT. Di Gennaro I am more optimisitc about, but he is three or four (at the very least) seasons away from realizing his potential, but he probably won't even be at Milan that long anyway.

Comparing Borriello to Gilardino, well I hope Borriello gets 19 goals in his first season and 16 in his second. I think the new formation will be more comfortable to a striker than the christmas tree.
ha ha, good point. Borriello is certainly capable, but as DiVaio himself witnessed, banging in 20+ goals doesn't guarantee a top 4 finish.

About Ronaldinho, The only game this season were I saw marks of the Real Dinho was the away Inter game. Such precision in passing and amazing dribbling abilities. Kaka was out injured so he was the center of attention. Can't get enough of this video
I love the video too, especially the part where Stanko rifles in the second goal :D :APPLAUD: ... But lets see Ronaldinho put in a performance like that all season long, towards the end of the campaign when relegation threatened teams become more tigerish and impudent to survive :BYE:

he just needs to make sure he stays hungry and if he's the centre of the team then the responsibility will give him the hunger.
DOn't forget he hasn't proven himself at all at Milan, he hasn't managed to keep his place in the Brazil NT and its a world cup year. There's plenty of motivation for you :)). But who knows, I'm finding Brazilians are quite unpredictable by nature (Ronaldo, Robinho and Adriano anyone) so anything can happen, but I think its a mistake to put all your eggs one hole-ridden basket.

imo Kaka was mediocre last season for his level and I think transferring him now rather than later was the best thing to do. I doubt we would've got the same sum and Milan needed change. Kaka was part of a different system.
I can't believe what I'm reading, I guess whatever helps you sleep at night... I do agree Kaka had an average season last year, but wasn't he still one of your best players? IMO he has peaked and we really won't see a Kaka better than previous years, but that would still put him head and shoulders above most players. You say Milan were too stale and needed a new system, why couldn't Kaka be a part of that system? I could easily see Milan playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, with two wide men (Pato and perhaps Abate) and a strong lead striker, and then Kaka at the helm of the ship steering Milan on course. But why am I still harping on about this when all is said and done. Berlusconi is obviously no longer putting money into the club and Milan badly need the funds to build a team. But surely there was an alternative to selling Kaka (although not for the same amount of money). Why not sell Gattuso (blasphemous I know but he's a wanted man and you could get a good price for a limited player), Bonera, Kaladze? You know this is why you shouldn't have wasted time buying old, one-year-from-retirement players like Favalli and Emerson, they bring no value to the team and you can't get rid of them for a price. Oh well, time will tell I suppose if Milan's plans will bear fruit or wither like Adriano's career ;)

abate is fast and very determined.... but theese are not his only qualities at all.... actually theese aren't even his main qualities. di gennaro is just a promise at this stage of his carreer (a good promise sure, but nothing more), while abate already is much more than a promise.
u don't get any playtime in italy's under 21 if you're just fast. let alone becoming a regular azzurro ;)

unfortunately i'm afraid he won't get the playtime he needs and deserves at milan (pretty much like giovinco at juve).... but there's hope.

I think if Abate is going to get playtime at Milan it is going to be this year. I mean look at Milan's options:

-----Pato/Abate-------Ronaldinho/Di Gennaro/Viudez(?)-----
---------------Inzaghi/Borriello/Fabiano(?)---------------

3'rd choice winger behind Dinho and Pato is good, taking into consideration Dinho is not a definite success.

I love the video too, especially the part where Stanko rifles in the second goal :D :APPLAUD: ... But lets see Ronaldinho put in a performance like that all season long, towards the end of the campaign when relegation threatened teams become more tigerish and impudent to survive :BYE:

I liked the part when he danced around you best defender :SMUG: but that is normal as Kaka last year also danced around him and made him injure himself. :P

As for Kaka being mediocre, as I said, result wise we did much better when he was around.

I think Viudez will be loaned out to Standard with Cardaccio. But I agree, I think Abate and Antonini will get a lot of playing time since we are going to be playing with 'wingers' now. Ronaldinho and Pato will probably start out wide and go inwards, with Abate acting as first choice sub for them.

Edit - Milan 2-0 Varese tonight... apparently Ronaldinho was the best player on the pitch.

Last edited:

What are his main qualities lo zio?

hey man, been a while! :))
abate has a fantastic cross a very good dribbling and an above average shot.... each of theese skills is much more important than being just fast :))

i believe we all are way too focused on the future. nowadays fans rave about 17\19\21 year old kids who shows great potential and don't even consider a 22\23 years old player who already is above average, just coz he's not "the next best thing".
maybe di gennaro will become a great player... maybe in 8 years he will be a legend... who knows...
but what we know for sure is that right now abate is a much better player.
the problem is abate is already 22, wich makes him way too "old" to catch the attention of the "hype generation fans" (i'm not referring to u rfu here, it's just a generic rant about football fans ;) ).

just to support my point with a fact, the kid (i mean abate) has been the best crosser in the league last season.... not the best young crosser... he was the best of the lot!
http://www.lega-calcio.it/it/Sala-stampa/Archivio/Dettaglio.page?id=7DFB66D1-8DE2-2854-DF86-920FBD7B561F
that's the lega calcio site (the lega calcio is the italia FA). so this stat and the award are "official".

he didn't receive an award for being the fastest player in the league neither for being the most hardworker.... he reveived a prize for being the best crosser in serie a :))

rfu said:
How many U21 regulars have made it at the top flight? Out of all the promising players such as Baronio, Coco (the next Maldini ), Ferrari, Barzagli, Zaccardo, Bonera, Amelia... none are plying their trade amongst the top European clubs or even the NT

oh come on mate, u know that's just unfair...we cannot measure the quality of a player by his curriculum. do u have to play for a top team to be considered a great player??
zola never played for a top club in italy (cagliari, parma and napoli) and chelsea, well, they weren't exactly a top european side when he joined them.
Miccoli didn't expressed himself at his highest levels at juventus (some might say he wasn't given the chance to shine)... so what, would u say he's not a fantastic player? and what about cozza, di natale, locatelli, rosina, alemao, careca, vannucchi, zico, socrates, briegel, bellucci, flachi, zauli, riva, oliveira, bulgarelli, aguilera, skuravy....
or what about lucarelli, who spent most of his carreer playing in serie b (aswell as vannucchi) and who never played for a top european or italian club?
i'll cut it here but i could go on for hours mentioning great players who never played for top clubs.... some of the name i mentioned above aren't even just great... riva, zico, socrates and careca could well be labelled as "legends".

and however, considering those guys u mentioned...
baronio was having a great carreer, until perugia's president destroyed him.
ferrari had a bad period at roma, but he never got "starter playtime" so no wonder about it. this season though he has been one of the very best centre backs in the league.
barzagli, well he might not be a world class player (as he was supposed to become)... but he's still a fucking great player.
bonera wasn't given the chance to prove his quality as he has been lined up as a side back on a constant basis all along the last 3 seasons.... but whenever he was lined up as a cb, he showed how good he is.
and as for amelia..... wtf isn't he a great goalkeeper?? ;)

edit:
reading my post i noticed it sounds harsh, wich was not my aim. sometimes my posts turn out to be a bit aggressive, even if i don't want them to be like that... must be down to the language barrier. :P
so don't take this post as an attack or a rant towards u, rfu, as it isn't at all :BEER:... i actually enjoy theese conversations

Last edited:

Speaking of Flachi, did you catch his return towards the end of last season Ben? He scored some important goals! I always used to think he was a really good striker with Bazzani at Samp... then we know what happened there... What about super Dario Hubner? :D

Also - about Palermo - credits to Zamparini for offering Carrozzieri a new contract. Zamparini also went on to say that the guy needs support and that the team and fans should help him get out of this dark period.

flachi was an outstanding player... but coming back after a 2 years stop... at his age... it will be tricky. however nice to see he's back on track.

and yeah hubner could be mentioned along with the other players i mentioned above... as well as hundreds of players we are forgetting about right now ;)

as for zamparini, i believe he's defending carrozzieri coz they share the same pusher..... i mean did u hear he said palermo will aim for the scudetto??... :FAIL:
he's either drugged or completely nuts.

Wow!
That ronaldinho, for a second or two, seemed like the Ronny Barcelona had years ago. Damn, if he keeps playing like that he will fill Kakás shoes and AC will have some flair. Lets see what Leonardo does with him. He seemed quite fulfilled with the dribble of R10. Brazilian Joga Bonito. lol

@ Milanista

Do you have Milan pre season fixture list?

- Sunday 19 July 2009, Los Angeles, Friendly: LOS ANGELES GALAXY-MILAN

- Wednesday 22 July 2009, Atlanta, World Football Challenge 2009: CLUB AMERICA-MILAN
- Friday 24 July 2009, Baltimore, World Football Challenge 2009: MILAN-CHELSEA
- Sunday 26 July 2009, Boston, World Football Challenge 2009: MILAN-INTER

- Wednesday 29 July 2009, Munich, Audi Cup: BAYERN MUNICH-MILAN
- Thursday 30 July 2009, Munich, Audi Cup: 2nd MATCH AGAINST MANCHESTER UNITED OR BOCA JUNIORS

- Saturday 8 August 2009, Lisbon, 2nd Edition Eusebio Cup: BENFICA-MILAN

- Friday 14 August 2009, Pescara, 9th Edition Trofeo Tim: MILAN-INTER-JUVENTUS

- Monday 17 August 2009, San Siro, 19th Edition Trofeo Luigi Berlusconi: MILAN-JUVENTUS

- Tuesday 25 August 2009, Madrid, 31st Edition Santiago Bernabeu trophy: REAL MADRID-MILAN

Real Madrid V Milan ?! Will be interesting with Kaka playing for them.

Damn what a pre season!

Normally i would start hard and then lower the level so the team is really hyped for the start of the season but Milans calendar is just insane, if you win 60% of those matches your like Title owner. Who does your calendar btw? lol

That fixture list doesn't include the ones against Serie C teams or lower, like the game against Varese last night. Most of those big games are sponsorship games... the game against Real - we lose it every year because we never take it seriously.

But i think this year it will be different. See now you have to show that you can play against Kaká and still win it you used to rely too much on him, you need to focus on the team now and build up a new squad, which i think your doing atm. You just need to show the world that you can win against those Madrid Bastards.

just to support my point with a fact, the kid (i mean abate) has been the best crosser in the league last season.... not the best young crosser... he was the best of the lot!
http://www.lega-calcio.it/it/Sala-st...6-920FBD7B561F
that's the lega calcio site (the lega calcio is the italia FA). so this stat and the award are "official".
wait a minute, what are those bracketed numbers? Is that crosses per game?
And what about Fini and Pasqual? According to corrieredellosport (cross riusciti means crosses completed, right?) Abate has 44 successful crosses out of 189 attempts (25 games 1919 minutes). Vargas for example, has 43/173 in 27 games (2009 minutes) and so has a better average than Abate albeit over more games and few attempts but then again Abate plays further ahead and Torino are one of the few teams in serie A to play with proper wingers and two CFs (if you consider Stellone a center forward). Beckham also has 189 crosses but only 38 succesful (again according to corrieredellosport), but this is understandable the case becuase Milan insisted on one CF so it becomes an unfair comparison. And does it matter what position the crosses come from? All this is besides the point I suppose because it nevertheless shows Abate is atleast half decent at crossing, and perhaps the best in Italy. So I take it back that he's crap :D

Nice website too by the way, I'm very reliant on corrieredellosport and tutto but this one can help affirm certain things.

oh come on mate, u know that's just unfair...we cannot measure the quality of a player by his curriculum. do u have to play for a top team to be considered a great player??
Sorry, I made my arguement poorly. What I meant to say is that being an U21 international says very little and does not mean a player will make a succesful transition or warrant a place in teh Italian NT. But even that isn't fair because it is the case for any international team, or even sport. But also, sure players are just unlucky with injury, or as such, but other times they are just not international class. Players like Bonera, Baronio and Coco were meant to become Italian NT regulars. Ferrari had a good season with Genoa but so did every other Genoa player, this tells us nothing. He tends to switch off at times and loses focus, letting the players he's marking coast by him. This is why he was not succesful in either ROma or Inter IMO. Same with Bonera and Barzagli. They make serious mistakes at the wrong moments. Amelia is a good keeper, but I even rate over Castellazi over him in terms of consistency and reliability. Amelia isn't even close to replacing Buffon and its not like he has tough competition. Again its those momentary lapses in concentration. Top keepers/players can rarely afford them. I have no idea what happened to Baronio. He was Pirlo before Pirlo became the Pirlo we know now. I don't think the management at Perugia had too much to do with his downward spiral because he made his debut with NT several years later playing with Lazio I believe. About Zola, Parma in the early 90's were a good team, finishing in the top 4 and reaching UEFA cup finals :D. You should've added Chiesa to your list, I will never figure out why he never became a regular with the NT, quite baffling really.

I always used to think he was a really good striker with Bazzani at Samp... then we know what happened there... What about super Dario Hubner?
thanks for that. I've been watching a highlight reel of the 1997/98 serie A season and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out who that lanky bearded fellow was :D Very impressive player, who can forget his 25 goals with Piacenza when he was already 35 :SHOCK::APPLAUD:

Wow! That ronaldinho, for a second or two, seemed like the Ronny Barcelona had years ago. Damn, if he keeps playing like that he will fill Kakás shoes and AC will have some flair. Lets see what Leonardo does with him.
Nevermind that this a preseason fixture, but it was versus a serie C side. Exactly what does this prove? DOn't forget Quaresma scored an impressive goal in preseason when he joined Inter, and we all know what happened after. You're better off waiting until midway next season before reaching a conclusion. The 4-3-3 formation seems a good look though. But I wonder, where did this sudden fascination with this formation stem from? I know Catania and Fiorentina have being playing this way for years now, but suddenly everyone is adopting this formation. Mourinho seems quite adamant about using the formation instead of last seasons 4-3-1-2 formation.

Back
Top Bottom