Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

I remember there was talk of Hubner getting in the national team for the world cup that year.

BTW to anyone in London, Napoli are playing at West Ham on the 8th August, should be a good game, hopefully I get to go.

Lool yah Dario Hubner!!!! Damn he could score goals!! Had totally forgotten about him! You guys even remember near the end with him and the divine ponytail together at Brescia causing havoc for some teams at their respective ages! lol that was fun to watch!

And yah Chiesa was a genius! Never had a strong 'attitude' to be a true champion though.

@ Ben, I think by now we all know Zamaprini doesn't take drugs. He's just naturally the most crazy chairman around. Lol... I would not want him to be president of my club (though he's done SO much for Palermo) but he's definitely good to have around due to his crazy comments/antics and because he's funny. To have big mouths like him and Mourinho and others around in the league, it makes the league more interesting off the pitch! :)

@Mila, I heard you say Udinese won't let go of Inler after having lost D'Agostino, Fabio Q and Di Natale this year in the Arsenal thread. Antonio the captain left?!?!!b :shock: I never heard about that! And yeah D'Agostino will most likely leave but that's not final yet either. So they've lost Quagliarella so far but not that bad.. plus they always capture good relatively unknown players so I have faith in them... they won't do too bad.

Just a quick question:

Believing the transfer market is over (its not but lets just put this in a hypothetical hypothesis) How will the big 3 from Italy display their eleven and what chance do you calcio commentators give to each one of them?
Btw any special Team that may break the table like Genoa last season?

-----Jankulovski---------------Ronaldinho
------------------Ambrosini--------------
-----Nesta---------------------------
------------------Pirlo-------------Borriello-
-----SIlva----------------------------
------------------Gattuso----------------
----Zambrotta-----------------Pato----------

I'm not sure about Jankulovski. I think we will rotate quite a lot his insertion in the squad with Antonini.

As for Juve, Juventini can correct me - I'd imagine them playing like this:

-----De Ceglie------------------------------
--------------------Sissoko--------Del Piero----
-----Chiellini-------------------------------
------------------Melo-------Diego---------
-----Cannavaro-----------------------------
------------------Camoranesi-------Amauri----
-----Zebina--------------------------------

I'd say the most impressive team on paper at the moment is Napoli:

-------------------Vitale--------------
----Campagnaro------------------Lavezzi---
----------------Gargano------------------
-----------------------------------------
----Cannavaro----Cigarini------------------
------------------------------Quagliarella--
----------------Hamsyk-----------------
----Santacroce----------------------------
------------------Maggio (Zuniga)----------

De Sanctis being the new GK. I'm not sure if they'll play 3-5-2 or with a new formation to fit in Obinna too.

Last edited:

Get it together Milan, at this rate we'll have no competition in Serie A........

Forza Juve

-----Jankulovski---------------Ronaldinho
------------------Ambrosini--------------
-----Nesta---------------------------
------------------Pirlo-------------Borriello-
-----SIlva----------------------------
------------------Gattuso----------------
----Zambrotta-----------------Pato----------

I'm not sure about Jankulovski. I think we will rotate quite a lot his insertion in the squad with Antonini.

As for Juve, Juventini can correct me - I'd imagine them playing like this:

-----De Ceglie------------------------------
--------------------Sissoko--------Del Piero----
-----Chiellini-------------------------------
------------------Melo-------Diego---------
-----Cannavaro-----------------------------
------------------Camoranesi-------Amauri----
-----Zebina--------------------------------

I'd say the most impressive team on paper at the moment is Napoli:

-------------------Vitale--------------
----Campagnaro------------------Lavezzi---
----------------Gargano------------------
-----------------------------------------
----Cannavaro----Cigarini------------------
------------------------------Quagliarella--
----------------Hamsyk-----------------
----Santacroce----------------------------
------------------Maggio (Zuniga)----------

De Sanctis being the new GK. I'm not sure if they'll play 3-5-2 or with a new formation to fit in Obinna too.

We have 2 formations Ciro is considering

51594.jpg

4-3-1-2 - This system will certainly suit Diego, as he is at his best when the team is built around him. The three centre midfielders will provide a mix of steel, substance, power, pace and flair, while the attack is certain to cause problems for any backline. The only problem with the 4-3-1-2 is that it could mean limited chances for Sebastian Giovinco and David Trezeguet if he stays. There is also not as much flexibility as with the 4-2-3-1.

4-2-3-1 - The formation that most of us believes is most suitable for Juventus. The defence will receive ultimate protection from Felipe Melo and Momo Sissoko, with Cristiano Zanetti and Claudio Marchisio as first reserves. Ciro Ferrara will be blessed by numerous options in the attacking midfield slots, with Iaquinta, Diego, Camoranesi, Giovinco and Del Piero all able to rotate the five positions, and all capable of interpreting different roles. In the lone striker slot, Amauri will be first choice, but both Trezeguet and Iaquinta will be excellent alternatives.

Lucio to Inter for 5 mill :BLINK: From what I've seen of him in international tournament, he is good.

Last edited:

Not convinced he's the best signing for Inter.

Had a great Confederations Cup but defensively, hasn't been at the same level he was 2-3 years ago.

Im happy for Ibra if he ends up in La Liga or the Premiership only for the reason that he doesn't get enough credit playing in Italy which is a shame.

Just a quick question:

Believing the transfer market is over (its not but lets just put this in a hypothetical hypothesis) How will the big 3 from Italy display their eleven and what chance do you calcio commentators give to each one of them?

I like how Milanista only mentioned Juve and Milan and not Inter :BOP: Last time I checked Inter were Italian champions.

About Ibra leaving to Barca, I wonder how Eto'o and Milito will fit in Mourinho's 4-3-3 formation, or any other formation for the matter since both need a support striker playing off them. This does not look good.

Isn't Hleb coming as well on loan?

In that case, think Jose has given up on the 4-3-3 (thank god, the idiot).

Inter's line up will probably be

Cesar
Maicon Lucio Samuel Snaton
Cambiasso
Motta Zanetti
Hleb
Eto Milito

Personel wise, that's one of the strongest teams in Europe. Still lacks a regista, and interesting if Eto and Milito can play together.

The thing about the transfer is that its free, so we can't really lose much from the deal.

He's basically your Oaf Mellberg, big, strong, free and that's about all.

Let's see if you can bag 2M for him next summer when he's showed he's sub standard:))

In other news ADP till 2011:BOP:

Im yet to see a Juventus game, but from what i saw during the season and spare games adding to this personal reviews, i would go for:

-----Del Piero-----Amauri-----
------------Diego-------------
Giovinco---Sissoko---Marchisio
De Ceglie---------------Zebina
-----Chiellini--Cannavaro-----
----------Buffon--------------

But that was keeping the last season team and adding just Diego to it and building the squad a lil bit over the AMC and his capacity to break their defence. Giovinco would go for the wing unlike Marchisio that would give some creativity to the midfield and work with Momo which would be the worker of the mid. The defence, apart from that right wing that seems the weakest, will surely look like that. GK not even questionable.

Going for a more offensive/creative approach i maybe would go for:

-----Del Piero----Amauri-----
----Giovinco--------Diego----
-------Sissoko----Zanetti----
De Ceglie--------------Zebina
-----Chiellini--Cannavaro----
----------Buffon-------------

Adding Zanetti to the mix making him and Sissoko more like DMFs and Zanneti being the Deep lying playmaker, Giovinco and Diego being the creative minds and serving as well Del Pieros magic and Amauris finish.

Still tough, im quite mad that there wasn't a single talk about Juventus RB position, i think i am not wrong by saying that Zebina/Grygera aren't good enough to wear the Zebra shirt. Or am i wrong? Zebina seems dodgy at times, and Grygera is there to attack but when it comes to defending his positioning is awful which caused lots of counter attack goals last season. They should find a better right back, its their only flaw.

The Carceres move seems to be gathering pace - Poulsen is a goner one way or the other, just a case of whether we take the trade or opt to get some cash for him via one of the premier league clubs.

C'MON SECCO ! don't stop know, get us Santacroce !!!!

Well we never really know, Milan bought Ronaldinho to sit on the bench too so i don't really understand any more how transfers work, if they pay such high values they should be starters but instead some go sit on the bench, other similar case was Keita from Barcelona, bought from sevilla for 15M to sit right next to Caceres and Gudjohnson and Bojan.
But that makes up naother topic, why the hell buy Melo in the first place? I don't even think he is that creative guy to be first option over Marchisio and Poulsen is Momos replacement, unless they will sell Poulsen, which i doubt.
Hope Ciro knows what he is planning with Secco (or who ever is planing these transfers) because so far i only see mist around the teams formation.

Melo wouldn't have been my choice either, I would have gone for Alonso instead, but he still adds a lot of strength in depth to that midfield area of the squad.

This Juve squad is shaping up very nicely. :BOP:

Juventus wouldn't be able to compete for his signature with Real though so they never really had the option.

Isn't Hleb coming as well on loan?
that's what they're saying...

In that case, think Jose has given up on the 4-3-3 (thank god, the idiot).

Inter's line up will probably be

Cesar
Maicon Lucio Samuel Snaton
Cambiasso
Motta Zanetti
Hleb
Eto Milito

Personel wise, that's one of the strongest teams in Europe. Still lacks a regista, and interesting if Eto and Milito can play together.

i think that 4-3-3 isn't in mourinhio's mind since the start of the past season and the failure of mancini and quaresma...
by the way, i think that they will try to buy cassano with the money of ibra affair...it seems that Sammpdoria want A.Mancini according to some italian newspapers, so they might exchange the brazilian with fantantonio (adding some cash for samp).
Imho having cassano-eto'o-milito would be absolutely amazing...one of the guys with more fantasy in the world and two real killers

Recently came across this.

So is a trequartista de usual (original reason) number 10 of the team? the "pushing strings" kinda guy? Like Diego for Juve now?

@ Ben.
Is it true that Palermo bought Pastore from Huracan ?
He's supposed to be one of the biggest talents in Argentina..if i'm not wrong Man Utd was interested in him too...
This could turn out to be a great buy...

ok there's really lots of stuff to talk about, and u guys also brought in many interesting points, so i'll just pick those who catched my interest most (otherwise it would take 30 mins to write the post...)

lucio to inter..... weird.. to be honest i can already see the italians destroying his (a bit undeserved) good reputation as soon as they'll watch him in action...

ibra to barca.... the deal is very good no doubt about it... ibra is unique... but it's always tricky to hold a player against his will.... plus inter got a world class striker and lots of money (appearently)..... the thing is they already bought a world class striker (milito).... .. and even though (funny coincidence) they happen to be 2 of the most versatile world class poachers in the world.... the eto'ò - milito partnership doesn't seem to me as complete and balanced as the ibra-milito one.....

rfu said:
wait a minute, what are those bracketed numbers? Is that crosses per game?
that is "crosses during a play"... the other stats usually consider every kind of cross (from a free kick or during a play... this stats instead just consider the "proper" crosses).
Sorry, I made my arguement poorly. What I meant to say is that being an U21 international says very little and does not mean a player will make a succesful transition or warrant a place in teh Italian NT.
i know mate. that's why i said "u know that's not right" ;) .
u're right when u say that being an under 21 international doesn't mean that much... many players find the most different ways to screw their carreers... and some others just turn out to be not good enough.

but i'd like to make 2 points:
first - i'm not implying abate will become something special.... i'm not talking about his potential.... infact my post was pretty much "against the potential factor". i said "di gennaro has lot of potential, but don't miss abate, as he's got great "current ability".
second - yeah being a international under 21 is notso important..... but being an italy under 21 is a bit different. u see, when it comes to under 21, the azzurrini ("the little azzurri") are for under 21 football what italy is for world football.... actually it's even more than that.... because, while talking about the national team italy comes right after brazil (4 world cups).... when it comes to under 21 football we are the ones in charge.... and by a huge gap (we won 5 euro championships, then there are spain, england and holland wth 2 victories.... we got to consider the euro championships as there's no such thing as a under 21 world cup).
to make it into the squad, u really must be something special, as the competition is enourmous....i mean we all saw italy during the last under 21 competition.... most of our backups would be starters in germany's formation... and i picked germany precisely coz they're the champions, wich means they have quite a team.
and it's not like this is a special generation, actually this under 21 team is slightly poorer than its predecessors...
so being part of the italy under 21 team doesn't mean u'll become a top class player..... but sure it means that u're one of the best under 21 players in the world right now.... and that's is something..... actually for those who consider current ability more important than potential (like me), that's much more than something. ;)

PLF said:
@ Ben, I think by now we all know Zamaprini doesn't take drugs. He's just naturally the most crazy chairman around. Lol... I would not want him to be president of my club (though he's done SO much for Palermo) but he's definitely good to have around due to his crazy comments/antics and because he's funny. To have big mouths like him and Mourinho and others around in the league, it makes the league more interesting off the pitch!
seconded. let's go for "he's nuts" then :D . jokes apart u brought in an interesting point here when u said "i wouldn't want him to be my president".
indeed i feel like that quite often... i mean it's quite obvious he's been our major issue in the past few years, and his crazy unpredictable mood changes costed us a lot.... but then again, as a matter of fact, if it wasn't for him my beloved palermo right now would still be playing vs the likes of castel di sangro..... he gave us a new dimension.... just consider the italy team wich won the world cup... u know wich was the club which gave more players to that team? not juve, neither milan or roma or inter.... it was the mighty palermo! a team who just arrived in serie a, after spending 28 years in serie b (5 italy players were coming from palermo... no other club did better than that).
so even though most of the times i complain about his attitude, his crazy comments and decisions... i gotta admit he's not that clueless afterall.
i mean, marino, corvino and monchi are praised as Gods (and they actually deserve that credit), but zamparini (helped by foschi) brought here barzagli, simplicio, barone, cavani, amauri, nocerino, bresciano, brienza, fontana, gasbarroni, kjaer, mascara, santana, pepe, zauli...... he' was the first to realise amauri's, kjaer's simplcio's and barzagli's potential... he's the one who realised that toni and grosso (who were in the middle of a pretty average carreer) could have becom world class players, with the right support....

so even though he's crazy and most of the times he acts like the most clueless president, his achievements prove he's not really stupid... a clueless president wouldn't have done what he did... he took many risks during his reign here in palermo (toni, amauri, zauli, grosso, corini, just to mention a few) and almost always, time proved him right.

as for that della valle press conference, i watched it live on tv... and he was absolutely great. i feel the della valle brothers are a classier, cooler, less crazy version of zamparini... sure the kind of president everyone would love.

neoexodus said:
So is a trequartista de usual (original reason) number 10 of the team? the "pushing strings" kinda guy? Like Diego for Juve now?
there are many, many wrong things about that article... by reading it i realise the guy has not really a clear idea of what a trequartista is.... the only agreable point is the title of the article.... infact the trequartistas are quite an endangered species today (for many reasons i pointed out in 2 occasions, a few months ago and last year)..... he failed to realise why this is happening though... and also why the british game doesn't suit the trequartista role... i'm gonna drop a few thoughts about it later, as i'm running out ot time now.

as for your main question (what's really a "trequartista"?), a few days ago abou asked me if i could explain a bit the italian football glossary... just a few lines to explain each and every role. unfortunately i can't do it right not, coz i'm in a hurry, but i'll do it in my next post... and of course i'll also write about the trequartista ;)

Gerd, yes we bought pastore... he played 20 mins in a friendly match yesterday, and i got to admit he was absolutely stunning!
however it's still way too early to say what this kid is about... afterall i'm still waiting to express a fair opinion about abel hernandez (and we bought him last season). we'll see :)

edit:
i'm glad to announce (even though u guys probably don't really care) i'm now a ps3 owner!! i know i'm a bit late, i always wanted to get one, but never found the time to actually buy one (let's just say that i wanted it, but not badly enough to go to a store on purpose to buy one).
however sathurday my girl basically kicked me out MY home and told me not to get back without a new tv (got to admit we really needed a new tv)... so since i was at the store, i saw the ps3 and thought "what the hell, let's get that too!".
i bought 3 games: fifa, pes (i'm gonna see wich one feels best and drop the other) and grand theft auto...... and Jeez! i had no idea the whole gaming industry went through such an improvement.... i never imagined the ps3 would have been such a more powerful and sophisticated machine than the ps2....
damn i feel sooo old right now! :P

Last edited:

Alright ben how are you? been a while since i was on here. Glad to hear you have a ps3, if you start playing fifa add me, my tag is satty1993. cant wait to beat you :P

From wat i have heard about pastore is that he is effectively going to be brilliant, and its good that italy is attracting players like these, especially bearing in mind the fact that man u were apparently interested.

And Ben, with regards to the earlier argument about hype and age i think its the fact that more hype will always be given to the younger players purely because they are showing so much talent at a young age. Obviously it is more impressive if a 18 year old was displaying very good potential as opposed to a 22 year old displaying the same amount because one has simply been around for longer and has more experience which in turn magnifies the quality of the younger player.

I have reservations about ibra to barca. There's no denying his quality, but im not sure if he will really suit the system, eto'o was perfect for the 4-3-3 which involved a lot of movement and unselfishness, which i think is where zlatan is lacking. However, he will be on the receiving end of some world class supply, unlike he was at inter, and generally la liga defences aren't quite as good as serie a ones so he may have some fun in spain.

As for inter, they are missing out hugely. Maxwell and Ibra to Barca! despite being a back up last season, there aren't many better than maxwell in the world, and ibra for inter is almost irreplaceable. Yes Inter will have a new system, one that doesnt rely on Zlatan, but at present Inter dont have the quality to feed Eto'o efficiently. Additionally, Eto'o and Milito have styles which just seem like they wont work, so i feel inter may have offensive problems. However, i think lucio is a good signing for them.

Also, if ROma sell Aquilani i will personally find spalletti and have to chop that egg off. If one of our most talented players departs ROma are acknowledging that they cant compete at the top in the short term.

Finally with regards to ronaldinho, i hope he returns to the top. On his day he is still one of the best in the world, just look at brazil italy in february. The video showed that he looked a bit slimmer from last season, and of course his talent was still there. At Barca, he thrived off being the centre of attention, having the system around him, so hopefully that will motivate him along with the desire to be the best again. Personally, i think he can and im going to stick my neck out and say he will achieve excellent form next season. I dont think his heights will be as lofty as say 04/05 with barca but he will be amazing to watch again. I hope so anyway :P

One last thing, is Ciro/juventus in general keeping Criscito? Wasn't he "named" the next Cannavaro or something? (saw it on a video around youtube) he looks like a huge prospect for the future, btw is he LB or CB?

Back
Top Bottom