Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

Borriello proving to be our most useful center forward. His presence is just too important in supplying our other players.

not only your most important foward... along with nesta he's your most important player right now.

this really weird tactical formula leonardo is displaying lately strongly depends on having a benchmark upfront and a God leading the back 4.... everytime nesta isn't playing (like today) the rossoneri look so shaky at the back.

btw how nice is this cagliari!! their football is so beautiful to watch... i wish my palermo would play that good (side note: after the home draw vs catania this week, zenga is in serious troubles.... and with ballardini risking his job at lazio aswell.... we might see the bald genius back in sicily soon enough :PRAY: ).
anyhow after a great campaign last season, allegri is proving himself as a very very good coach (2nd sidenote; anyone who watched today's game vs milan will easily understand why marchetti jumped ahead of amelia as italy's backup gk).

anyhow milan fans, how do u guys feel about your team lately? this new tactic leonardo is testing is definitely unique. no one (or at least no one i saw) in europe plays that kind of football.... it's extremely old fashioned, yet fresh (as it's different from the football we saw in europe in the last 10 years).... it's pretty horrible, from a tactical point of view... yet the result on the pitch (in terms on excitement) is definitely enjoyable.... and it also allowed milan to put on a pretty nice streak......
so stef, zeem, hey there, everybody, wich are your thoughts on it? coz i just can't make up my mind on it. :))

congrats ernestito. big win today :))

I think this tactic would work a lot better if we had better depth. I think Kaladze is a huge liability, like today. I don't think Pippo really works either in this formation, and Huntelaar just can't settle in. It was nice to see Strasser play today.... nice to see Leo has faith in youngsters compared to Ancelotti. All our players were running today, except the defenders, so there are plenty of options for the attack. Its nice to see Seedorf pushing up and using Borriello as the target man, because it allows other players and especially Pato to find space, and to eventually score. Seedorf and Pato scored some very nice goals today.

I think we really need new full backs (eventually) and a new CB. Dida has been in great form, so I'd let him stay.

Meh, the new AC Milan style is pretty weird and to be honest I just can't get used to it. I'ts like going to the dentist and discover he has no more painkiller,so he takes this big, bad drill and starts to fuck up your theeth. After the pain comes the relief, and you realize the dentist has done the best work ever possible for a human being.

That's how I feel watching Leo's AC Milan. From a certain point of view, I never get bored of watching AC Milan games, Pato is incredible, Dinho today reminded me of Dinho, Seedorf is back in shape and Borriello is just the heavy and hardworking forward we always needed. Damn, even Dida seems to be a Goalkeeper again.

From another point of view, I just can't ignore that we need two brand new side backs. Zambrotta and Oddo are average in defending, but we clearly need more. Pirlo just can't play deep anymore, he just doesn't have the space and Ambrosini can't create enough space like the old Gattuso.

Kaladze is the worst defender ever, after today it's official.

It seems we switched sides with the bauscia :\

Now I get why Poulsen is looking good lately... it's Melo's fault. (well it's also him that's playing better :P)

Oh my God Melo makes me want to cry, literally... it's hard to see someone play worse than him today... luckily I know that when he decides to play good he can (even though not up to the 25M€ mark), but he's done it only after the goal the last match... :\ luckily for us Sissoko comes in and no one ever comes through the middle anymore :)

and I'm liking Caceres more, he looks very complete despite the age. Even though he does mistakes once in a while...

congrats ernestito. big win today :))

thanks. :)

I just saw the highlights and Lippi was also in the stadium today. I guess Candreva gave him good reasons why he should be in the NT, especially the assist on the first goal was amazing.

btw how nice is this cagliari!! their football is so beautiful to watch...
They were a joy to watch, but then they've played together and with this same system for quite a while. Anyway, they could've easily taken this game. Where was Cossu today? Lazzari was excellent but lacking with his efforts on goal. What a missed opportunity, with Nesta out, they really had Kaladze on the ropes.

anyhow milan fans, how do u guys feel about your team lately? this new tactic leonardo is testing is definitely unique. no one (or at least no one i saw) in europe plays that kind of football.... it's extremely old fashioned, yet fresh (as it's different from the football we saw in europe in the last 10 years).... it's pretty horrible, from a tactical point of view... yet the result on the pitch (in terms on excitement) is definitely enjoyable.... and it also allowed milan to put on a pretty nice streak......
i think its bullshit. Milan weren't supposed to be in such form and winning match after match, and playing some brilliant football mind. And how is it none they're star players are getting injuries like ours? It's such a joke. Its like our players have egg shells for knees. And how is there formation working? Only Ambrosini and painfully-slow-Pirlo covering in midfield? And Seedorf is running in midfield :LOL: I expected Milan to be in the bottom half of the table, not third behind Juve. Never a dull day in Serie A. And its funny watching Genoa and Samp drop points :LOL:

Well who would have thought after a humiliating start the 82 Brazil WC formation Leo always talked about would work. You can notice Leo adds something diffrent to the team. Yesterday, Milan were able to hold the ball and keep it which is one of our strongest points and gave us better chances. We definitly need some covers especially for the side players. Pato, Ronnie, and Seedorf not being there would change the whole team even if only one of them was not present. Here are my notes on some players:

Zambrotta: I think we all agree he is doing much better on the left flank. Although he always says he likes the right side, Dinho being on the left makes him show better offensive skills.

Ronaldinho: This guy has the best killer pass I have ever seen. Long, short, over, and under. He can do it all. If he gets his penetrations from the side back I guess we will see an even better Milan.

Borriello: Rock Solid. Two years ago I was saying why is this player in our first team and he used to play reserve matches behind the likes of Gila, Inzaghi, Ronaldo, and Oliviera(:D). Great physical presence which makes him diffrent than our other strikers, he is also able to hold the ball and has some nice strong shots. Every thing you need in a striker. Hope he gets past his injuries though.

Dida: Keep him as our number 1 :D This might be a problem for Abbiati and Storari who are looking to play some games.

Don't know where Beckham would fit in this formation since he will also be excpecting to play.

Last edited:

bye bye Zenga...

he's the 28th coach fired by Zamparini in 20 year.......the 9th of Palermo times...

Well, it wasn't unexpected: When you tell Zampa that your objective is the scudetto, he takes you VERY seriously.

Even if you play with Migliaccio and Bovo (no pun intended zio :P).

bye bye Zenga...

he's the 28th coach fired by Zamparini in 20 year.......the 9th of Palermo times...

I'll quote someone from a inter-fan website i follow:

Hmm so many different managers, same president = no titles

I wonder what's causing it?

:LOL: :LOL: Poor Zenga tho. Wasn't his daughter born on the day?

rfu said:
Hmm so many different managers, same president = no titles

I wonder what's causing it?
well it's not like we can blame zamparini for not winning any silverware.... first of, coz zamparini has been in charge here just for the last 7 years, while we didn't win a thing since our club foundation (wich was in 1900 if i remember well). and then, coz we're not supposed to challenge for the title... we never were... i mean, if roma isn't a challenger how could palermo ever deserve this label....we're not even a champion's league team..... uefa cup spot, that should be our place.... and it it's not gonna be easy to get that place, as there are plenty of other competitors who are just as good as (or even better than) us (like samp, genoa, napoli, roma, udinese).

infact people here in palermo (the president included) didn't expect zenga to get much more points than he did get so far.... as caressa correctly remarked yesterday, we're about 2 spots behind the place we deserve in the table, so no complaints about that.
the reason why we dumped zenga is because we're almost in december and he still didn't give us a gameplan, a personality. watching palermo playing u get a sense of total frustrating ramdomness, that, after 3 months, u just can't tolerate anymore.
sure we missed liverani all this time, but that's not enough to justify the total lack of a plot on the pitch.
as zamparini said "after 2 months all our contenders were progressing, getting more acquainted with their schemes, playing each week better than the previous..... while we didn't".
and he's right. u look at sunday's match and u look at our seasonal opener match and u just can't spot any sort of progression.

i kinda feel for zenga. he's a good guy and i'm sure he'll eventually get another chance (although, given his tactical education and skills, i'm not sure he deserves it), but we really need to move on and start playing some proper football asap.
delio rossi might not be ballardini, but he's a very good coach and a huge step up from zenga.
infact the real mistake zamparini did was not firing zenga and getting rossi..... he should have signed rossi in the very first place (this summer), as clearely he was the right man to continue ballardini's project.

so bottom line, even though i'm usually very critic towards zamparini's moves, i gotta agree with him on this one.
rossi did an amazing job at lecce and lazio. i always loved his football. plus he has an amazing ability in discovering talents, and here in palermo, he will find sabatini, the sport director that helped him building that great lazio team.

some very interesting post about milan, but i'm already late so i can't write anymore (nice metaphor, hey there! :D )

oh and dafrenz, don't worry about melo.... sure he's not that monster everyone thought he was this summer.... but he's not as bad as he showed lately either.... that's not the real melo..... he's much better than that. now he will probably be benched for a few matches (yesterday caressa said that with del piero getting back from the injury, ferrara will probably get back to the diamond formation, drop melo and put sissoko in the middle... totally agree with him).... and that will allow felipe to calm down, stop trying to "overdo" and get back to his football (once he will get another chance in the starting formation).
eventually u'll see the real melo, i'm sure of it. :))

Last edited:

Oh, don't worry, I don't expect to actually see more performance at that level from him... that would be too catastrophic :P

Bu the way, Juventus actually plays worse than at the start of the season :D Buffon, Chiellini and Camoranesi are just saving the days, all of them. (Didn't mention Sissoko and Marchisio 'cause they didn't play much for injuries :( )

some cracking matchups this weekend. cagliari juve shour be a good one. juve must win to put an end to this bad period.... but against this cagliari isn't gonna be easy at all.

parma-napoli should be another very good one... parma has been outstanding so far, but napoli seems much better since mazzarri got the job.

inter-fiorentina might be interesting too..... i believe inter roster can handle midweek champions league fixtures much better than fiorentina, and playing in san siro will be another advantage for the nerazzurri.... plus there's the fact that they absolutely have to win to "clean the shame" of their embarassing defeat against barca......
but fiorentina might surprise us.... sure their roster situation is tragic... gamberini and mutu injured, donadel suspended, jovetic probably will start from the bench..... but the enthusiasm for the champions league result might give em the boost they need....
plus there's the mourinho-prandelli factor to take into account.

barcelona always keeps its upfront line spread open. it became some sort of a trademark of barca's attack. stretch the oppponent's defensive line. keep em wide, to force 1 on 1 situations, to take advantage of the mismatches, and to give more space to iniesta and the central foward...
now, what is the very one midfield setup u never have to display, when facing a team who likes to keep the possession line as wide as possible? yes, diamond. and what setup did mourinho chose? yep, diamond....
with marchionni, vargas and santana, fiorentina keeps its possession line as wide as barcelona..... i wouldn't be surprise to see mourinho making the same ridiculous mistake twice in 3 days.

and then, tonite, THE GAME. genoa-sampdoria!! it might turn out to be an amazing open match (like last season) or a tough close match with only a few scoring chances (like 2 seasons ago, when some players on both sides cracked under the pressure and both teams nullified each others).. this rivalry is just too intense and there's too much at stake to make any sort of predictions (also because both teams are damn good).... but one thing is for sure. it's gonna be intense! and the crowd is gonna offer the best show in europe, as they do every year.... speaking of the fans aspect, there's just no derby that gets close to this one: not the milano one, nor the madrid one, not the ruhr derby (borussia dortmund-schalke), not the liverpool one, not the superclasico (real-barca) neither the derby d'italia (juve-inter)... hell not even roma-lazio and the old firm can offer the show we're gonna see tonite.

a few pics from the past derbies... i'm putting them into spoilers to make to avoid to overload the page and make it more 56k friendly :))
Samp_Genoa_00_01.jpg

coreografia_genoa_derby_3-5-09-300x225.jpg

10g9ov4.jpg

genoa_samp_91_92_1.jpg

genoa_samp_91_92.jpg

samp03.thumbnail.JPG

genoa_samp02_03_5.jpg

genoa-14.jpg

m_2533.jpg

m_2529.jpg

derby.jpg

3104960866_f6278769fe_b.jpg

3104960850_0c10d0454e_b.jpg

_S3C0401.jpg

nord2.jpg

1414_4122002222157-vi.jpg

and that's about the cooolest coreography i've ever seen.
the whole curtain thing is just great. i wonder how much time did the whole process take.
derby01-vi.jpg

derby02-vi.jpg

derby03-vi.jpg

derby04-vi.jpg

derby05-vi.jpg

derby06-vi.jpg
:))

if i'm not mistaking theese should be last season's derby coreographies (not sure though)
genoa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ER-96wa3Q

samp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JWQKJwuM4

Last edited:

brief explanation of the curtain coreography.
genova is one of the 4 ancient maritime republics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repubbliche_Marinare. they have a glorius sailing and yachting tradition (and i'm not just talking about Cristoforo Colombo).
the derby itself reminds this tradition as it's called "il derby della lanterna" (the derby of the lighthouse.... genova's lighthouse is famous all over the world and protected today by UNESCO).

in the first pic u can see the genoa curva before the coreography.
then they hide the entire curva with that big red-blue curtain and put that road signal with a "work in progress" banner
once the coreography is ready the curtain opens up and disclose a red and blue sea with a caravella (ancient genovese boat) sailing and the lighthouse on the lower deck.
while the upper deck shows the sky and the sun.
below u can see the banner saying " like our ancestors used to rule the seas, we will rule this pitch".

Thanks Ben, interesting like always.
Last year i read an article about that derby in FourFourTwo and they also wrote that this is THE derby in the world, more than the old firm, Boca-River or other big derbies...

I hope Genoa wins (now we know that Samp will win).

gerd, even if i could try to explain how does it feel to live in genova during the week before the derby, and til the beginning of the match itself (and i really wouldn't know how to put that in words), trust me, u wouldn't believe me.... coz there's just no way u could possibly fully understand what i'm talking about, unless u experience it in person.
it's not the stadium (the marassi stadium is very beautiful and full of history, but then again stadia like the nou camp or the olimpico in roma have as much history and are much bigger)...
and it's not even the game (afterall a football match is always a football match.... actually matches like theese often turn out to be not really entertaining, concerning the football, as there's just too much pressure on the players)..
it's the city of genova that makes this match special, the people (and not just the fans)... it's something that just can't be described..... seriously.
the pre match is already live on sky italia.... the atmosphere is already insane :))

I just heard Lippi will watch the Genoa derby...would that be to watch Cassano ?
Will he change his mind now that Cassano has announced he will get married during the WC ?

how about that!!! :SHOCK: :...
hey guys, have a nice sunday. i'm just dropping by a minute to say...
man, what a game!!!
i hope u guys got a chance to watch it. i've been watching the game with a pure 100% genoano.... he told that enourmous banner that covered the entire stand... "figgi dò zena", that is genovese dialect.... it means "figli di Genova" in italian ("sons of Genova" in english)....
anyway even the match itself was amazing. i kinda feel for samp, as they weren't really bad (cassano was awesome) but barcelon.... ehm i mean genoa was just ..... WOW!

Stef, yeah i remember that :P... it was last season wasn'it?

Gerd, no he wasn't there for cassano.... the genova derby is an event, no surprise lippi was there... besides there were plenty of players on the pitch yesterday, that are being followed verly closely by lippi.... bocchetti, palladino and criscito (he was immense) especially, they had a real top notch performance yesterday.
milanetto too was great yesterday, but he's not one of the players lippi is interested in...
speaking of milanetto, i'm getting a bit confused, i always considered him a good solid squad player with a pretty average technique, but the more i watch him playing, the more i notice he's everything but average... in every department... and his passing especially seems to be way beyond "average"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA5LSTKC8Sk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7r551MgYEY

edit:
oh wait, almost forgot..
gasperini_genoa.jpg

:WORSHIP::WORSHIP::WORSHIP::WORSHIP::WORSHIP:

Last edited:

there are things in football I would get crazy as a manager. Sculli's miss is one of them. I would really ban him from the team after such a miss seeing that Palladino is freeeeeeeeeee in the middle. good for him that his team won in the end. yesterday when I was at the betting office, my first game was genoa-sampdoria because I knew this would going to be an ass-kicking game by genoa and the odd was great, too. :D

Sadly, Livorno lost yesterday. :( Spinelli must look for 1-2 offensive midfielders who are able to move the ball well and assist. money should be available after Diamanti's departure.

I managed to watch the 2nd half. Thought the game had incredible intensity. Especially straight after Genoa's 2nd goal, they were crazy and were creating millions of nice plays! Milanetto's lob would've been a great goal.

I thought Cassano was well marked, he was very limited in creating plays, and it was almost impossible for Samp to get the ball to their forwards.

I'm beginning to think Palacio is a little too weak... he gets pushed off the ball so easily!

there are things in football I would get crazy as a manager. Sculli's miss is one of them. I would really ban him from the team after such a miss seeing that Palladino is freeeeeeeeeee in the middle.

yeah that was really unforgivable. i can't even tell you what came out of my genovese friend's mouth.... also because he was speaking in strict genovese dialect and i could catch just about every third word :DD
come to think of it, with italian, spanish, french and english, i can cover almost the entire planet.... and yet i can't understand an italian guy who speaks in genovese dialect... LOL!!

milanista said:
Milanetto's lob would've been a great goal.
yeah, but that assist for rossi's goal was even better...that was.... pirlo-esque!

oh and about sculli... once he was subbed, he had a little argument with cassano (who was still playing) from the bench... i assume he was trying to provocate him....
well gasperini, didn't took his defence. he shouted in sculli's face to shut up and behave.
now that's what man managing is about to me. not taking your players defence regardless the circumstances, not protecting them no matter what..... but educating them.

Any resemblance to real events and/or to real coaches is NOT purely coincidental.... :P

Actually Quaresma is Inter's best player on the pitch. It's the new San Siro pitch :D

Frey is awesome btw.

oh and about sculli... once he was subbed, he had a little argument with cassano (who was still playing) from the bench... i assume he was trying to provocate him....
well gasperini, didn't took his defence. he shouted in sculli's face to shut up and behave.

I thought it was Raffaele and Cassano who were having a bit of an argument even after Palladino was subbed off, probably due to the celebration Paladino did (in front of Samp fans?) the fight that broke out...

Anyway, you guys mentioned Sculli so I have to say, he's probably one of my least favourite players in the entire league. Don't like him at all. Him and Sammarco just rub me off the wrong way lol.

The Genoa derby is always TOO INTENSE and I don't mean that in a good way.

p.s. Yah Milanetto's amazing. Runs like a dog and has incredible stamina. Should NOT have gone for the classy lob though, yah it would've been a great goal but if he had passed it to a team-mate, it could've been an easy goal... but I guess with your team comfortably leading and you having a great game, sometimes the heat of the moment just takes over....

And yah Criscito has a LOT in the tank! The Muthafucka was running with incredible speed down the left hand side at 90th minute!! :SHOCK:

Jeez anyone see Gilardino's Sombrero over 2 Inter defenders?! Too bad he hit the post!!!

that was an amazing move.

as for quaresma, a friend who watched the inter match told me he was great.... coz no fiorentina player even bothered to mark him, so he found himself free from any markings quite often.... my friend was probably exagerating.... funny nontheless though :D

and here's another look at palermo's new stadium. i had a dinner with one of the architecht directors of the project last week (zamparini was supposed to be there too, but eventually didn't make it to the buffet).... i gotta say he sounded really promising....
esternostudio2.jpg

stadiom.jpg

stadio1r.jpg

looks good to me! :))

Back
Top Bottom