Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

Yay, many great goals were scored at the weekend. Ibra's genius touch, Pazzini's Trezeguet-esque chip shot, Di Natale's volley, Pjanic's double strike (this guy's really the successor of Juninho) and Totti's off-side goal. Real joy to watch for neutrals. :)

Last edited:

Good game on at the moment, Inter v Lazio, grandad Rocchi is rolling back the years!

Agreed. Thought it was a fun game and that Lazio played a very good game, especially against a very in-form Inter. Cisse is a joke sometimes, he comes on and attempts karate kick-style shots when he knows he has no chance. Rocchi was pretty classy all game, and so was Klose. Miro was helping all parts of his team and showed incredible fitness for his age.

Anyway, I don't understand how Sneijder is sellable by Inter.... he has golden feet. Every second touch his a dangerous chance for Inter.

Yay, many great goals were scored at the weekend. Ibra's genius touch, Pazzini's Trezeguet-esque chip shot, Di Natale's volley, Pjanic's double strike (this guy's really the successor of Juninho) and Totti's off-side goal. Real joy to watch for neutrals. :)

Thought Totti's first goal was brilliant, as was Di Natale's volley. Ibra's great at cheeky goals... if you watched the game, you could hear the Novara fans applauding him for the goal.

Anyway, double post aside, El Shaarawy has been showing his skills in his last 2 games, and he's brilliant and is definitely one to shine.

Also - team of the year announced... I like it....

Handanovic, Thiago Silva, Ranocchia (tied Nesta), Maggio, Armero, Hamsik, Marchisio (tied Thiago Motta), Boateng, Di Natale, Cavani, Ibrahimovic.

Best club - Udinese
Best manager- Allegri
Best Serie B - El Shaarawy.

C_27_photogallery_5889_listphoto_itemPhoto_18_immagine.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah I like that team too. Nesta instead of Ranocchia though and Marchisio ahead of Thiago Motta.

And I'd put Chiellini in there too.

That team is so strong! Those players would murder any and shine in any league.

Di Natale + Cavani partnership with Zlatan there too! Imagine! :D

Thought Totti's first goal was brilliant, as was Di Natale's volley. Ibra's great at cheeky goals... if you watched the game, you could hear the Novara fans applauding him for the goal.

Anyway, double post aside, El Shaarawy has been showing his skills in his last 2 games, and he's brilliant and is definitely one to shine.

Yeah, I like Totti's first one too but since it bounced from the defender I excluded it cuz that ruins any goal imo. :)

I watched Milan's last two games before Novara match and from what I've seen in the Coppa match (and some prev matches he played in), I think El Shaarawy is so closely the Serie A version of Callejon from Real Madrid. And I rate both players quite high. They got some explosive energy in them which always makes me enjoy watching that type of players.

Ranocchia should not be in that team..

Neither should Chiellini, PLF. Too hot and cold, his 2011 was porobably his poorest season of his carreer. Barzagli is winning juve the the title, he should rather have a shout.

Well a month ago we were critisizing Juventus for announcing Del Piero's retirement and now pops Maldini with an interview saying Milan don't want him at the club. Talk about a slap in the face.
wow!i didn't expect that from milan. the rossoneri have always handled every tricky situation with unmatched class. that is so not "milan style". :CONFUSE:
Gerd said:
Maybe Madini hasn't the abilities for the job he wants to do with Milan (because i gather he won't come back as a player). It's not because one is a legendary player that one automatically has the right abilities to do other things...
that's definitely not the case Gerd. Paolo is without a doubt the most brilliant, composed and clever football player\ex football player i've ever heard. being italian, i've had the chance to hear so many of his interviews over the years. he's an excellent conversationalist, often offers very interesting and peculiar point of views on the most different subjects. he has an impressive culture for a football player, a great taste for art.... if u would approach him without knowing who he is, and have a conversation with him, u would never believe he's a football player, as he sounds like a guy with a top notch university education.
i can tell u, Paolo is the kind of person who would easily succeed in whatever professional path he would pick. i have no doubts he'd make a great team director.

besides that's not even that important.... i mean a man with the class, the charisma, the reputation and the image of paolo maldini could do so much for milan.... even without opening his mouth. he's like rui costa, guardiola, del piero..... his style and his image alone would already be an extremely valuable asset for milan.

as for el sharaawy, he looks like a very promising kid. i was quite disappointed when he decided to go to milan this summer.... he should have stayed with genoa. it would have been so much better for his growth as a football player.

Last edited:

I expected Maldini to be like that. He always looked like it on the pitch. No dumb charges and a teamplayer. A real captain aswell.

Maldini, Zanetti, guys like this come around once a generation!

It's all about power staying in Galliani's hands. Galliani doesn't want a guy with a huge fan influence taking charge at Milan. He has Braida who is already on the same page as him and he will risk it with Maldini. I remember over the course of the last two years, Maldini has questioned a lot of Milan's choices like coaches, signings, and managment openly in the press. He is not afraid to speak his mind, kind of like Leonardo. As soon as Leonardo started questioning the management and the signings made, he had a fued and left.

Last edited:

milan v lazio 3-1 with ibra's goal now. what a great play from emanuelson that was! he simply made the goal.

Yeah I do hope so.

And yes Kanoute, you're right! That was BRILLIANT by Urby! Awesome stuff!

I'm sorry to rain on your parade. I have the same image about Maldini as being a class guy.
But that doesn't always guarantees success in the ruthless world of football.

You only have to look at Gianfranco Zola...not exactly the biggest success as a coach.
If you read the book about Robert Enke, what strikes you is the fact that he was a nice, decent guy.
In Belgiun we have Jan Ceulemans, one of our best players ever and a nice guy: he became coach of the club where he is a legend (Brugge) and got fired...now he is figthing relegation with Westerlo.

Ben and others, we've all discussed how Europa League is NOT a priority for Italian clubs and how they treat it very casually most often in the past.

But how do you think clubs treat their Coppa Italia duties? I think they take it more seriously than Europa League and actually do try but how much? How important is it for clubs to do well in this competition or to win it?

I'm curious about this especially considering, Italian clubs have ONE domestic cup competition every year where as the French and English for example have two.

guys who saw last night match , how was Mesbah ? how he played in hes 1st game for Milan ?

Ben and others, we've all discussed how Europa League is NOT a priority for Italian clubs and how they treat it very casually most often in the past.

But how do you think clubs treat their Coppa Italia duties? I think they take it more seriously than Europa League and actually do try but how much? How important is it for clubs to do well in this competition or to win it?

I'm curious about this especially considering, Italian clubs have ONE domestic cup competition every year where as the French and English for example have two.

I think the Coppa Italia thing is a new trend for the big clubs. Ego plays a large part into this, as we like to always have one trophy more than our rivals. Funny thing is that once you're eliminated you're inevitably going to say "Mickey Mouse Cup"... like Inter fans in some forums in the last few days... even though almost their complete star-filled lineup played.

guys who saw last night match , how was Mesbah ? how he played in hes 1st game for Milan ?

Match reports say he had a decent debut, much better than Taiwo's first Milan game. I have high hopes for Mesbah. He reminds me of Zambrotta for some reason, especially in terms of stamina, defensive duty and attack.

Check this:

YouTube - Djamel Mesbah Vs Lazio Roma [By Youss-LGDF]

Gerd said:
I'm sorry to rain on your parade. I have the same image about Maldini as being a class guy.
But that doesn't always guarantees success in the ruthless world of football.

You only have to look at Gianfranco Zola...not exactly the biggest success as a coach.
yup, i perfectly see your point Gerd. but u see, zola actually is a perfect example to make my point more clear. gianfranco is a great man.... i mean, leaving aside his skills as a football player (wich are not relevant to my point), he's a very humble man, he's always so kind and polite and classy. he's truly a stand up guy and i have huge respect for him. but as much as i respect him, i can't honestly say he strikes me as a particularly clever and educated man.... wich is absolutely normal, as, being an ex football player, he never invested much time and resources into his education process (nor did his parents).
but as for Paolo, like i said, if u were to talk with him without knowing who he is, u would NEVER imagine he's "just" a football player (pretty much like platini...... actually even more than platini).

besides, keep in mind we're not talking about coaching here, we're talking about a role in milan's board (as a team director or something like that). coaching is a very peculiar activity, wich doesn't necessarily have much to do with intelligence or culture.... with all due respect i consider myself much more educated and cultured (and probably intelligent too) than most of the coaches out there... but that doesn't mean i'd be a better coach than them. succeding as a coach requires a very peculiar set of skills... if u have those skills, u might aswell be an ignorant buffoon, u will still be a great coach (and vice versa, u might aswell be a university professor and still be terrrible at coaching).
but being a team director is different.... it's a "field position" u get to confront yourself with other players and other ex-players, so "you're never in over your head". the pressure and the mediatic exposure is much more easy to handle than it is for a coach and having a good image can help u a lot. Paolo could certainly handle himself in this world much better than many team directors out there, who don't have his class and image, nor is intelligence and culture....... just think of branca (inter), conti (roma) blanc (former juve gm, now working for psg).
the team director position is really no big challenge. coaching is certainly difficult, being a gm (general manager) is certainly very difficult, but those are completely different kind of positions and paolo always said he didn't wanna become a coach. he could easily occupy position leonardo's position at milan (leo was a great team director, before deciding to become a coach..... very bad call!)

i think zeem nailed it here. not only maldini isn't afraid to speak his mind..... it's absolutely impossible to get him to say in public something he doesn't agree with. he values his dignity over pretty much everything and he's the exact opposite of a bum-licker. like zeem remarked, he's already questioned his own employers (former employers) several times....... he's never performed any cheesy act just to win his fans over (like most football players do)..... he actually had the balls to openly criticize his own fans, whenever he felt "they were not meeting the high standards of class of a proper milanista" (i've never seen a player doing and saying what he did and said on several occasions, like after the CL final with liverpool or on his last match).
so yeah, like zeem, i also believe berlusconi thinks it could be tricky to have an "uncontrollable" open minded guy in the board. wich is something i could also agree with (at least it makes sense from berlusconi's perspective)....... but still, come on, we're talking about paolo maldini here.... this shouldn't even be a choice.... he's has been milan's image for 20 years. he epitomizes the class and elegance that became a trademark of milan over the last 30 years (and he actually is part of the reason why milan gained such a shiny image in terms of style and "savoir faire")....... he IS milan!.... just like facchetti and is inter and scirea and and del piero are juventus.
PLF said:

like stef said, italian clubs have changed their approach towards coppa italia over the last 6\7 years. it used to be snubbed just like europa league, but now every club takes it very seriously. top clubs, midclass clubs and relegation contenders, they all try to field their best formations for coppa italia fixtures now.
i remember last season when palermo played the semi-final against milan... i was expecting milan to line up a formation filled with backups, as the rossoneri had much bigger fishes to fry those days (the scudetto), but they came out with their very best 11 and really played their hearts out.

i'm not sure what's the reason of this sudden change of mentality about this cup, but it's evident now everybody cares about coppa italia (and i forn one wellcome this change).

Last edited:

All right you convinced me Ben (that was a good post). I have to admit that i've never seen an interview with Maldini.

Match reports say he had a decent debut, much better than Taiwo's first Milan game. I have high hopes for Mesbah. He reminds me of Zambrotta for some reason, especially in terms of stamina, defensive duty and attack.

Check this:

YouTube - Djamel Mesbah Vs Lazio Roma [By Youss-LGDF]

thanks man , i have high hopes on him too , I do believe he can be one of the best in serie a for his posision , the guy know how to defend but also atack so lets hope for more

I saw video and I think it was a possitive performance by him special that was 1st match for him , I believe others will be even more better

yup, i perfectly see your point Gerd. but u see, zola actually is a perfect example to make my point more clear. gianfranco is a great man.... i mean, leaving aside his skills as a football player (wich are not relevant to my point), he's a very humble man, he's always so kind and polite and classy. he's truly a stand up guy and i have huge respect for him. but as much as i respect him, i can't honestly say he strikes me as a particularly clever and educated man.... wich is absolutely normal, as, being an ex football player, he never invested much time and resources into his education process (nor did his parents).
but as for Paolo, like i said, if u were to talk with him without knowing who he is, u would NEVER imagine he's "just" a football player (pretty much like platini...... actually even more than platini).

besides, keep in mind we're not talking about coaching here, we're talking about a role in milan's board (as a team director or something like that). coaching is a very peculiar activity, wich doesn't necessarily have much to do with intelligence or culture.... with all due respect i consider myself much more educated and cultured (and probably intelligent too) than most of the coaches out there... but that doesn't mean i'd be a better coach than them. succeding as a coach requires a very peculiar set of skills... if u have those skills, u might aswell be an ignorant buffoon, u will still be a great coach (and vice versa, u might aswell be a university professor and still be terrrible at coaching).
but being a team director is different.... it's a "field position" u get to confront yourself with other players and other ex-players, so "you're never in over your head". the pressure and the mediatic exposure is much more easy to handle than it is for a coach and having a good image can help u a lot. Paolo could certainly handle himself in this world much better than many team directors out there, who don't have his class and image, nor is intelligence and culture....... just think of branca (inter), conti (roma) blanc (former juve gm, now working for psg).
the team director position is really no big challenge. coaching is certainly difficult, being a gm (general manager) is certainly very difficult, but those are completely different kind of positions and paolo always said he didn't wanna become a coach. he could easily occupy position leonardo's position at milan (leo was a great team director, before deciding to become a coach..... very bad call!)

i think zeem nailed it here. not only maldini isn't afraid to speak his mind..... it's absolutely impossible to get him to say in public something he doesn't agree with. he values his dignity over pretty much everything and he's the exact opposite of a bum-licker. like zeem remarked, he's already questioned his own employers (former employers) several times....... he's never performed any cheesy act just to win his fans over (like most football players do)..... he actually had the balls to openly criticize his own fans, whenever he felt "they were not meeting the high standards of class of a proper milanista" (i've never seen a player doing and saying what he did and said on several occasions, like after the CL final with liverpool or on his last match).
so yeah, like zeem, i also believe berlusconi thinks it could be tricky to have an "uncontrollable" open minded guy in the board. wich is something i could also agree with (at least it makes sense from berlusconi's perspective)....... but still, come on, we're talking about paolo maldini here.... this shouldn't even be a choice.... he's has been milan's image for 20 years. he epitomizes the class and elegance that became a trademark of milan over the last 30 years (and he actually is part of the reason why milan gained such a shiny image in terms of style and "savoir faire")....... he IS milan!.... just like facchetti and is inter and scirea and and del piero are juventus.

like stef said, italian clubs have changed their approach towards coppa italia over the last 6\7 years. it used to be snubbed just like europa league, but now every club takes it very seriously. top clubs, midclass clubs and relegation contenders, they all try to field their best formations for coppa italia fixtures now.
i remember last season when palermo played the semi-final against milan... i was expecting milan to line up a formation filled with backups, as the rossoneri had much bigger fishes to fry those days (the scudetto), but they came out with their very best 11 and really played their hearts out.

i'm not sure what's the reason of this sudden change of mentality about this cup, but it's evident now everybody cares about coppa italia (and i forn one wellcome this change).

Maybe the simple answer is that we already have a world class training team and management (which we do). When Leonardo left, we didn't get a replacement.

For the Coppa Italia - I think it's largely down to bragging rights, but to the 'upper-middle' class teams, a fail safe if they don't get CL. Remember that by winning the cup, you get automatic Europa League qualification.

I really doubt it. You tell me we can find a place for Ibrahim Ba in the staff cause Galliani thinks he is a good luck charm and can't find a place for Maldini?! :LOL:

According to Maldini himself, Leonardo and Allegri asked for him at Milan, Ancelotti asked for him at Chelsea, and Leonardo asked for him again at PSG in the role of a link between the management and the players. All of them trust his abilities. There is something wrong with Milan keeping him out like this. Kind of like limitng Baresi to representing Milan in social meetings also.

Can someone explain to me why Milan needs another super-star forward? It means one/two of Pato, Robinho, Cassano and El Shaarawy won't get playing time. Attack is our best strength, so why not spend this £20m on a midfield that's so desperately in need of a new permanent solution? Just steal De Rossi and Paloschi :D

Last edited:

Can you really see De Rossi joining Milan? It's nearly impossible. But agree. I'd rather spend on a Mascherano than Tevez although MvB has been one of the best players this season. Then there's always Montolivo.

It was a joke about De Rossi, but I can only dream. MvB has been great, but I don't think he can cope for too much longer. In some games he just looks completely out of steam.

Ambrosini, Gattuso and Seedorf have their moments, but their fitness is far too inconsistent. I would be happy if Merkel started more games. But I still think we lack a 'creator', like Kaka or Pirlo, who could open up tough defences like Inter. Boateng is very physical and doesn't really open up play like that.

Montolivo is good, but I can never see him becoming a world class player... I think he's a bit of a pussy.

we play good 1st half in second have played just Inter but we defend good and Benassi was amazing , hes best performance of his carer I believe , he did amazing saves , sure man of the match !

great win today , damn im so happy to win vs Inter its just amazing + players , fans and everyone now believe we can stay in serie a the motivation will be up and I think we can do it stay in Serie A

FORZA LECCE

Back
Top Bottom