Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - Fixtures Released!

His natural talent is just astonishing. I can't remember the last flair player like that Italy have had. And to think Juve may lose him :P The next generation of Italians seem amazing :)

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/napoli-furious-over-marcello-trotta-s-ma-5511586.html

here we go again...

after Zamblera (stolen by newcastle from atalanta), Borini (stolen by chelsea from bologna), Sala (stolen by chelsea... again from bologna.. again), Macheda (stolen by manchester utd from lazio) and petrucci (stolen by man utd from roma)....
...another kid used as he was "a thing" by his parents, another club who pretend to "buy" talent (coz they probably don't know how to "create" talent), another general manager who has no moral, no respect for other clubs's work, and no problem about breaking the rules.
actually i don't know who disgusts me most; british club's general managers, or the parents of theese kids.

Platini keep saying he will introduce new rules, to avoid british clubs to break the current rules....(as well as johannsoon used to say)... he keep saying premier league clubs must stop treating young talented kids as they were "goods"..... i wonder when will he stop talking and start doing something about it.

......and then they say serie a has some ethical issues (talking about the moggi affair)......:tumble:

Last edited:

Not much we can do now but offer young players mega contracts. I'm a huge fan of Platini as president, and can't wait for his new system. I'm looking forward to the top 3 getting CL and the 4th being Coppa Italia. That would boost coppa italia so much.

Not much we can do now but offer young players mega contracts. I'm a huge fan of Platini as president, and can't wait for his new system. I'm looking forward to the top 3 getting CL and the 4th being Coppa Italia. That would boost coppa italia so much.

me too i have huge expectations about michel.

as for the italian kids problem, the thing is no club could ever afford to offer contracts to 400 hundred kids (as Marino pointed out).
moreover there are some legal limits to under 18's contracts.

right now it's forbidden for a primavera kid to move to another club. this rule is aimed to preserve our clubs scouting and youth team coaching work (not to mention the kids growth).

but if the kid's parents move to another country for job-tied reasons, then the kid can follow them and he's allowed to sign for another club.

british club use a pretty dirty escamotage: they offer a fake job to the parents, so they can sign the kid.

this situation is not acceptable :SHAKE:

Yup Rocchi was injured during the olympics. He will be out for a while now.

Another story, Sheva looks like going to Milan. Too many strikers IMO(when they are all fit).

1 week to go!!! WOOOHOO!!!!

Here are my predictions:

Atalanta - Siena 3-0
Cagliari - Lazio 1-2
Catania - Genoa 2-1
Chievo - Reggina 2-0
Fiorentina - Juventus 2-2
Milan - Bologna 2-1
Roma - Napoli 3-2
Sampdoria - Inter 1-0 (:LOL:)
Torino - Lecce 1-2
Udinese - Palermo 1-0

I hear Rocchi has broken his leg, sad news!

yep. and now they might loose ledesma aswell :((

Milanista said:
Here are my predictions:

Atalanta - Siena 3-0
Cagliari - Lazio 1-2
Catania - Genoa 2-1
Chievo - Reggina 2-0
Fiorentina - Juventus 2-2
Milan - Bologna 2-1
Roma - Napoli 3-2
Sampdoria - Inter 1-0 ()
Torino - Lecce 1-2
Udinese - Palermo 1-0

i hope u're wrong :-pp

after all that talk about how great sky italia football coverage is..... i just realised they're not going to cover ligue un this season...... damn bastards :censor:

Last edited:

is anybody else watching the supercoppa final?
what a match!!! :w00t:

Setanta will be showing Serie A coverage again.

Setanta Sports 2 at 19:00 is Live European Football
(Teams TBC). Now Sampdoria are playing Inter Milan on this day with Kick off at 19:30 so I am pretty sure it will be this game.

Sunday 31st August

Setanta Sports 2 a 19:00 is Live European Football
(Teams TBC). Fiorentina vs Juventus is scheduled to Kick off at 19:30 so it could be this game or they will be showing St Etienne vs Lyon whick Kicks off at 20:00.

Looks like Serie A coverage on both days but live ligue 1 coverage ditched.. :(

(Teams TBC). Now Sampdoria are playing Inter Milan on this day with Kick off at 19:30 so I am pretty sure it will be this game.

Sunday 31st August

(Teams TBC). Fiorentina vs Juventus is scheduled to Kick off at 19:30 so it could be this game or they will be showing St Etienne vs Lyon whick Kicks off at 20:00.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!! :DANCE:

it amazes me how much the networks underestimate ligue un.
here in italy we used to have a fantastic ligue un coverage until last season (about 4 matches each week- 2 of em live, plus the highlights of all the matches, of course):((

Milanista said:
Mourinho was a good sport in the interviews.

yep, giving credit to Mancio was a classy move. :))

great match anyway. i feel sorry for roma. winning the cup would have been a nice "goodbye" to Franco Sensi.... but inter was really impressive.
i didn't expect the nerazzurri to reach such a good shape so early.... they were fantastic in the first half.
they reminded me the way liverpool played during the first 30 minutes in athens .... the way mourinho mixed up pressing phases with coverage phases was stunning. :))

Last edited:
Re: Serie A Thread - 2008/2009 Season

What a first game of the season! (Sorry Ben)

Udinese were impressive and were very compact. Palermo seemed all over the place and Liverani and Cavani were poor imo. Cavani was constantly making mistakes and missing easy chances. Liverani just couldn't do his "Pirlo" stuff and was closed down by a very impressive Inler. All 3 goals were nice, with Di Natale probably winning goal of the week!

Di Natale... he gets better with age, I really don't understand Italian forwards.... Del Piero, Zola, Di Natale, Hubner, Robbie Baggie etc.... they seem to improve as their age goes up. He was quick, energetic and a perfect partner with Quagliarella - he was so confident and creative. Every time Udinese were on the break, they missed because of a good save or a deflection. They were so deadly. Isla was great, and so was Vuckevic, Pepe and Pasquale (I rate him, since his Inter days). THey were quick on the attack and the whole team worked together. Di Natale and Pepe were working as full backs while defending!

I don't understand how players like Bresciano started on the bench, and how Cavani started. I'd say 3 more games and Colantuono will go :D

Sampdoria - Inter

Great atmosphere! Samp fans were loud all night. Great 2nd half. Sampdoria were the better team and Palombo was definitely my man of the match. Great football my Samp, Sammarco, Padalino, Campagnaro and Palombo were awesome all night. Inter couldn't find space and Zlatan was just being an arrogant prick in the second half. Complaining about every ball that he didn't receive. Samp were looking for space and constantly crossing - especially when Padalino came on. Great result, but Samp could've easily taken it in the second half.

Serie A isn't that easy Mourinho!!!!:D:D Anyone watch his interview after the game?

Last edited:

Sunday 31st August

Just checked the Setanta schedule and it still shows St Etienne v Lyon, so not sure where you got this info, maybe not UK setanta

Cagliari 1-4 Lazio

First match, first win..
2 goals by Zarate and 1 by Foggia..

I think I'm quite impressed with this season squad from Lazio..
I hope they can achieve better result than last season..

AC Milan surprisingly lost over Bologna..

I think their problem is the defence but they didn't see it as a problem..

Gilardininho!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a goal!!! great control and volley in one move, like Berjkamp

guys what do the following phrases mean in the context of football:

ballottaggio (I think this means elected ? is it debut ?)
indisponibili (gussing this is injured ?)
squalificati (disqualified ?)
diffidati (one card away from suspension ?)

thanks!

guys what do the following phrases mean in the context of football:

ballottaggio (I think this means elected ? is it debut ?)
indisponibili (gussing this is injured ?)
squalificati (disqualified ?) exactly
diffidati (one card away from suspension ?)exactly

thanks!

indisponibile (plural- indisponibili) means unavailable (referred to people)... for injury, suspension or whatever.

the word ballottaggio (in english "second ballot"), in a football context, refers to a "2 players for 1 starting spot battle".
example: Rossi already decided the starting formation for this week.. there's just one doubt left, as mutarelli and brocchi are "in ballottaggio" for the defensive midfielder spot.

anyway this week i watched udinese-palermo, samp-inter (just the second half), roma-napoli and fiorentina-juve.

and after watching theese 4 matches, i'm seriously thinking that, for the first time in the last 10 years, i might decide to snub all the other leagues in europe, to focus myself just on serie a.
coz honestly, if what i saw this week really reflects this season's standard quality, then there will be no room for anything else (except some european top clubs matches).

the dark side is that, if that's this season's standard quality, my mighty palermo won't finish the season anywhere near the top 10 :((
when i think what serie a was about just 8, 6, 4 years ago, i almost can't believe it.

indisponibile (plural- indisponibili) means unavailable (referred to people)... for injury, suspension or whatever.

the word ballottaggio (in english "second ballot"), in a football context, refers to a "2 players for 1 starting spot battle".
example: Rossi already decided the starting formation for this week.. there's just one doubt left, as mutarelli and brocchi are "in ballottaggio" for the defensive midfielder spot.

Cool, thanks for the help with those translations!

Calciomercato! Chiuso!

All the madness can stop until January now! Kerlon joining Chievo could be exciting providing he can stay fit.

Quaresma joins Inter at last with the young Pelé going the other way to Porto. Not sure if thats the best deal for Porto or not.

Nothing interesting really happened in Turin - Barcelona youngster Iago joined The Old Lady and Dzemaili left Bolton to join Il Toro.

Lecce done well getting Stendardo and Boudianski after stealing Dusan Basta from Udinese.

Cool, thanks for the help with those translations!

u're wellcome mate ;-)

anyway this really was a crazy calciomercato (stef, yesterday late night i saw on tv Pastorello throwing milito's contract over the lega calcio box wall :LOL: priceless).

what do u guys reckon was the best deal?
which team strengthened itself most? (is this statement grammatically correct however?)

Milanista said:
What a first game of the season! (Sorry Ben)

Udinese were impressive and were very compact. Palermo seemed all over the place and Liverani and Cavani were poor imo. Cavani was constantly making mistakes and missing easy chances. Liverani just couldn't do his "Pirlo" stuff and was closed down by a very impressive Inler. All 3 goals were nice, with Di Natale probably winning goal of the week!

Di Natale... he gets better with age..... Every time Udinese were on the break, they missed because of a good save or a deflection. They were so deadly. Isla was great, and so was Vuckevic, Pepe and Pasquale (I rate him, since his Inter days). THey were quick on the attack and the whole team worked together. Di Natale and Pepe were working as full backs while defending!

well u're right about everything, Stef, but honestly i can't say i was surprised by the result or by udinese's performance. i mean they're a fantastic team, with a great roster, a great coach, a great management, who just did some slight adjustements to the roster, wich means that the main structure of the team is already settled and that they won't waste any time trying to find new tactical solutions to suit the new signings.

shall we talk about coach Marino? i mean this will be his third season in serie a, and until now he has been nothing less than AMAZING!!!
the 4-3-2-1 system he applied in catania was fantastic. the 4-3-3 he used in udine is fantastic.
u mentioned how both di natale and pepe moved back during non possession phases wich was great and very "manchester utd-style"... but actually it was slightly different, as di natale and pepe didn't move backwards to redouble the marking on the ball carrier (as rooney often did last season). they did some sort of a "vertical overlap" (don't even know if this word actually exists, as i've never see anything like this before) with the sidebacks. and it wasn't just a position switching, as obviously pasquale and ferronetti could never do what pepe and di natale do (and vice versa). however pasquale and ferronetti started running foward anytime pepe and di natale moved backwards , with inler and d'agostino following the sidebacks, to get ready for a "hook" or a "fast discharge-passing". great!
Moreover, while man utd usually keeps at least 1 central midfielder behind the ball-line, during theese sort of "end-around" (it can be either hargreaves or carrick or fletcher.. or both carrick and hargreaves), udinese saturday played without a "covering" central midfielder.

of course all this "magic" was also allowed by our disgrafecul midfield displacement. lining up a 3 central midfielders line was everything but smart from colantuono. this set up requires a good stamina (coz u need those 3 guys to absolve the coverage duties of 4 men) and it also requires a perfect chemistry between them; they have to know each others, to be able to harmonize and coordinate their own movements without talking each others..... coz they won't have the time to talk each others. colantuono instead lined up together 3 central midfielders who almost never played together before (migliaccio and liverani played together just 1 match, while nocerino saturday played his first match wearing a rosanero shirt).
so we let udinese take control of the match, by gifting them the midfield, and all our 3 midfielders were just wandering around the pitch, trying to follow all those role swaps udinese players were applying.... no wonder they were in a spin, trying to understand what the fuck was going on.

and u also have to consider udinese were missing their defensive cb couple and obodo! both felipe and zapata were out and so lukovic and coda took their place. and what about their midfield setup. can u imagine what they will be able to do with their whole starting midfield? obodo-d'agostino-inler..... this is as good as fiorentina's midfield... as good as samp and napoli midfield. this midfield is so good that tissone won't be nothing else than a backup. and the same goes for coda, talking about the cbs....
tissone and coda... backups??? in a team wich can't even be mentioned among the top 5 (udinese should be considered among the 6th and the 9th place in serie a right now):shock:

so this means that this fantastic team, not only isn't likely to reach a champion's league qualification spot, but they will also have to fight in order to reach a uefa cup worthy spot (and it won't be an easy fight, with challengers like genoa, samp, napoli, lazio atalanta and maybe fiorentina aswell).

i also agree with u about pasquale, Stef. very very good fullback. i actually think udinese has 2 of the most underrated players in serie a (in their own roles);pasquale and d'agostino.

Last edited:

Ibra and Quaresma in the same team. Could spell disaster if they're both sulking/not pulling their weight simultaneously. On the flip side, it could be pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom