Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2008/2009 Season

2609_136117355202_633260202_6046453_2559600_n.jpg

:LOL:

"I always get knocked out in the quarters"

Milanista said:
I disagree about Doni - I think he is a liability. He has pretty good shot stopping abilities, but I see him like I see Dida - never feels confident on the ball.

Well, did you agree with what I said about him? Or disagree with my ranking him as the 2nd best keeper of that group?

Doni(29) - Roma
Once was surely discussed in the Top 5 with Cesar, Buffon, Frey...has this season IMO taken a step back. Has not been very reliable. He does have outstanding physical tools, and still top level reflexes. But his decision making & leadership tends to lack at times and has lacked the consistency that many of these other keepers provided for their clubs. Looks to now be the back-up to Cesar on the NT.

If he has taken more than "a step back" can you tell me what else he is lacking besides what I have mentioned, and his ball handling. In comparing him with Bizzarri; I'd say they have similar athletic abilties and handling. Bizzarri is more consistent in his effort, and Doni can cover more space in the net. Bizzarri is a bit more agile.

My Top 5:
5. Alex Manninger
4. Albano Bizzarri
3. Marco Amelia
2. Doni
1. Christian Abbiati
This is basically my opinion if I was a team, not named Inter, Fiorentina or Juventus....this would be the order of keepers I would go after for a 1-year loan next season. As far as potential, I'd rate Marchetti & Amelia higher on this list. I haven't seen anything personally from Marchetti outside of consistency. He doesn't seem to possess outstanding physical tools, and has good reflexes & positioning. I just haven't seen that "special" quality with him yet. But I am looking to learn and hear more about him. If I were Lazio for example, I'd take a loan out on Manninger for next season over Marchetti.

I am NOT a keeper expert. Glad to hear others opinions on this :D

I've seen a few articles as of late regarding Mourinho's plans for Inter next season and how he wants to include more young Italians into the team, which is great news for the likes of Robert Acquafresca who i hope is given time to prove his worth next season, however with the arrival of Aguero seemingly a forgone conclusion i hope he isn't just cast aside. Although i do think remodelling Inter's defense and midfield are more of a priority for Mourinho this summer. So it will intriguing to see how Mourinho's vision of Inter materialises over the summer.

Last edited:

IMO Acquafresca has a long way to go before he is able to fill the shoes of a Crespo or Adriano. I guess he could be a Cruz replacement, but still isn't really at his level yet either. He had like a good month or so this year, and was pretty lousy prior to that. And since his hot form he has been just solid. They are Inter Milan, I think they have better options than Acquafresca IMO. Aguero would be an interesting player for their squad, would definitely change the dynamic of their attack. I think they were hoping Obinna or Balotelli would provide that versitile striker this season, and I think Balotelli has done a decent job. It would be a shame to get deminished...but he is 18 so he'll need to get over it :P

I think for thier midfield, they really need a high quality playmaker. There are a lot of younger ones out there in Italian football...Cigarini, C.D. Ledesma, Montolivo, and D'Agostino. I don't see how they couldn't add one of these guys to their line-up, and possibly play with some combo of Cambaisso, Muntari, Zanetti or Stankovic.

Moratti's been chasing Aguero for ages. I think Ibra may be off to Real so he might just be his replacement.

Inter attack I think will be completely different next year. Drogba, Aguero, and Acquafresca are most probably to come. Although Aguero may give Moratti a hard time to get.

Or if Mourinho wants to play his 4-3-3 again it might be different and they will go for new wingers.

And as usual, Milan will take the left over Inter players... Should be a nice derby next year. Inter will crush us.

I don't think it will be that drastic to be honest. I think it will be Ibra, Balotelli, Acquafresca and Aguero up front. They also have Mancini who can play up there.

I'd be happy to take Maxwell off Inter, someone useful for our team.

Aguero from the wing? Quaremsa and Mancini will probably go. Ibra im not sure about. Real will want their annual target. Im sure Ronaldo and Kaka will be targets but they will be probably end up having to settle for someone else.

I think it would be a good thing for Man Utd if Real should buy Ronaldo.
They would get loads of cash and would get rid of a prima donna (he behaved very unprofessional against Fulham).

He also got fouled all match. I wouldnt want to sell Ronaldo because IMO on his day hes as good as Messi.(He hasnt shown this since 06/07 though) It wouldnt be that bad if we brought Benzema and Ribery for the money though :))

I got this off a Milan blog and think its very interesting. I've translated it:

True or False?

1) The Milan medical staff will be sacked and re-created with new members
2) Fabio Cannavaro will be a Milan player next year
3) Ronaldinho will not be a Milan player next year
4) Maxwell will be a Milan player next year
5) Ancelotti is the new Real Madrid Manager
6) Mancini will be the new Milan manager
7) Oddo won't sign for Bayern
8) Gattuso will be the new Milan captain
9) Gourcuff will return to Milan
10) Kaka will still play with Ancelotti as manager
11) Sheikh Mansour will purchase around 25% of Milan
12) Trezeguet will be the new Milan center forward
13) Nesta will end his career as a professional footballer due to physical problems
14) Ambrosini will not renew his contract with Milan
15) Thiago Silva is not the next Lilian Thuram

These are my answers:
1) False
2) False
3) False
4) True
5) False
6) False
7) False
8) True
9) True
10) True
11) False
12) False
13) True :(
14) False I hope....
15) False I hope....

1) 50% true
2) false,he is too young for milan's defense :P
3) false
4)true
5)true
6)false
7)i don't know,but he is too young for milan defense like cannavaro,maybe he'll come back in 2011 :P:P
8)true
9)i don't think so,with kakà,ronaldinho etc there will be the same problems he had in the past
10)kakà will go to madrid with ancelotti
11)maybe,he already bought an important quote of Mediaset
12)it depends on ranieri's choices,but it's possible
13) true :(
14) false
15)true,thuram was an incredible player (i've seen t.silva playing and he can just lick the bottom part of thuram's left feet)

Another questions

16) Will Becks stay ?
17) Will R10 Stay ?
18) Will Luis Suaréz be a Milanista next year ?

16) as far as i know he'll go back for some months to alaxy,then he'll return to Milan...this is what was written on Italian newspapers

17) yes (it's the same of point numer 3 ;) )....there are too many marketing reasons

18)
suarezsq4.jpg
after almost 50 years in Inter i don't think he'll go to milan,even if he has the right age for rossoneri :P:P:P

What a second half by Milan yesterday. Ronaldinho got in th rhythm, Pato is improving fast, and Sheva with that hairstyle brings back lots of memories...

Yah that was a great left-footed cross by the long-hair blonde Sheva :) And pippo of course puts it away.

Pato really has become a great player!

EDIT: Oh yah by the way! Pellissier!!! :D :D :D

Which brings me to a question. Hellas Verona (Simply known as Verona to most) despite their downfall in recent years (They're in Serie C now I think) have more fans than Chievo (and despite their relatively successful past decade) right? I seem to remember a friend telling me that.

Last edited:

yes PLF,youre absolutely right about Hellas.
Verona is actually the team with the biggest support in serie C (with my Cosenza). Chievo will never have so many fas in Verona and there's a reason:
Hellas is the team of the whole city of Verona,it has won also a scudetto during the 80's and it has been the only important team in Verona for years and years.
At the end of the 90's a new team,from a small zone of Verona,became known because of its promotions in that period:it was Chievo,that arrived to serie A (fighting-and winning :( - with cosenza for the promotion from B to A) and played a fantastic season the first year,under Gigi Del Neri's direction. They played the most spectacular football in Italy,a kind of 4-2-4 with eriberto (a.k.a. luciano) and manfredini on the sides , corini and barone in the middle of the field and corradi + marazzina as forwards.
that year many people (not only in verona,in whole Italy) started to look at chievo like a lovely team....
then a great verona (with mutu,oddo,gilardino,camoranesi and other good players) started its decline,so chievo remained the only team at high level there.By the way for Verona citizens the team of the city is still Hellas,because it represents the history of football in romeo and juliet's city and chievo will never be as famous and loved as hellas

la fatal Verona! :D

Yep Sina, as Gigi pointed out, chievo is basically a "frazione" of the city of Verona.
---------------------------------------------------------------
that's the meaning of "frazione" (taken from wikipedia)
Typically the frazioni cover villages surrounding the principal town (the capoluogo) of a comune. Subdivision of a comune is optional, some comuni have no frazioni, but others have several dozen.

In practice, most frazioni are small villages or hamlets, occasionally a mere clump of houses, although being such a place is not requisite. Nor is every hamlet a frazione; those that are not are often referred to as località, for example in the telephone book. In some occasions frazioni can be more populated than the capoluogo of the comune. Very occasionally, due to unusual circumstances or to the depopulation of the capoluogo, the town hall and its administrative functions can move to one of the frazioni: the comune, however, still retains the name of the capoluogo.

--------------------------------------------------------------
u can basically consider chievo as a "district" of verona, a small district (hence the very small fan base).
chievo's "virtual" fan base however grew when they reached serie a a few years ago. as Gigi remarked lots of people feel in love with that nice little clockwork del neri built.

as for their tactics setup, Gigi, i wouldn't define del neri's chievo as a 4-2-4 however. luciano was definitely very offensively-oriented, but on the other side, manfredini used to cover the whole flank.... i'd rather call it an offensive variant of a 4-4-2 line up :)

Gigi, speaking of hellas verona, do u remember who was their sport director during their glorious days?
coz i can't remember it right now... actually maybe i just don't know it....
however i'm very curious to know who was the man who built that great team :)

however i just took a look at the last 2 pages.... the spalletti-prandelli comparison Sina brought in, the goalkeepers conversation Jason brought in are both very good topics to talk about, and i'm a bit surprised they didn't caught the attention and the interest they deserve.....
so, people, don't be lazy and share your views on theese concerns :D

as for me, i already expressed my opinion on the spalletti-prandelli point, and i would like to write a bit about the goalkeepers jason mentioned.... but i'm already late so see ya :D

Last edited:

Lo zio, about Hellas Verona and that scudetto. The coach was Osvaldo Bagnoli.

The usual line-up:

GK: Claudio Garella
DF: Mauro Ferroni - Luciano Marangon - Roberto Tricella - Silvano Fontolan
MF: Hans-Peter Briegel - Pietro Fanna - Domenico Volpato - Antonio Di Gennaro.
FW: Giuseppe Galderisi - Preben Elkjaer Larsen

Preben Elkjaer (or Preben Larsen like he's known in Belgium) played for Lokeren and is/was married to the sister of a former girlfriend of mine.
He's a very nice guy.

One of the best football books ever written is about Hellas Verona: "A season with Verona" by Tim Parks (he followed the team the season Camoranoesi played for them).

la fatal Verona! :D

Gigi, speaking of hellas verona, do u remember who was their sport director during their glorious days?
coz i can't remember it right now... actually maybe i just don't know it....
however i'm very curious to know who was the man who built that great team :)

:D

emiliano mascetti ,zio :)

emiliano mascetti ,zio :)

wow Mascetti!! he also built Dino Viola's roma in the late '80s.
i didn't know he was also the man behind la fatal verona.

thanks for the info Gigi :))

.... but actually what i really wanted to know is the name of the sport director of verona in 2000\2001; that fantastic team u mentioned in your post (with the likes of gila, camoranesi, oddo, cassetti, mutu, zanchi, dainelli, cannavaro jr, and so on...)

that team was almost on par with that verona wich won the scudetto :))

don't apologise for your post Gerd! that verona wrote an important page in the history of serie a... as for Elkjaer (he was known like this in italy).... i have to say it's quite a funny coincidence... the same thing happened to me (a former girlfriend of mine was friend of the girlfriend of a former player of palermo.... we even had dinner altogether a couple of times :)) ).
and thanks for the book tip ;))

moving on..... great result for palermo today... i really didn't see it coming to be honest...
and i can't even tell about the match as i wasn't able to watch it.

however if u got a chance guys, take a look at genoa-juve tonite....
it was a hell of a match so far :))

2'nd place race is on! Hell of a match last night.

For Milan, they should lose Seedorf quick, he is rusting really fast...

.... but actually what i really wanted to know is the name of the sport director of verona in 2000\2001; that fantastic team u mentioned in your post (with the likes of gila, camoranesi, oddo, cassetti, mutu, zanchi, dainelli, cannavaro jr, and so on...)
i'm not sure,but i think he was Rino Foschi

Lo zio, about Hellas Verona and that scudetto. The coach was Osvaldo Bagnoli.

The usual line-up:

GK: Claudio Garella
DF: Mauro Ferroni - Luciano Marangon - Roberto Tricella - Silvano Fontolan
MF: Hans-Peter Briegel - Pietro Fanna - Domenico Volpato - Antonio Di Gennaro.
FW: Giuseppe Galderisi - Preben Elkjaer Larsen

Preben Elkjaer (or Preben Larsen like he's known in Belgium) played for Lokeren and is/was married to the sister of a former girlfriend of mine.
He's a very nice guy.

One of the best football books ever written is about Hellas Verona: "A season with Verona" by Tim Parks (he followed the team the season Camoranoesi played for them).

Cheers Gerd, just ordered it from Amazon, look forward to reading it

i'm not sure,but i think he was Rino Foschi

i just took a look at foschi's carreer on wikipedia (not that i don't trust u, but since u said u weren't sure, i did a fast check), and u're actually right.

gotta love foschi. he definitely has some weaknesses, and probably is a bit too passionate, but sure he knows how to build a football team.... (kjaer was his last "gift" to palermo).
even though i didn't really agree with many of palermo's moves last season, i have to say we'll probably miss him in the long term.

it's not like i don't trust Sabatini (he did an amazing job at lazio), but i'm not sure he will be able to repeat himself in palermo.

however Gigi thanks for the info (u defeinitely got a very good knowledge and a hell of a memory! :) ).

is there a team in serie a u have a soft spot for?

Stef said:
Buona Pasqua/pasquetta to you all!
:BEER:

Not long to go...... I'll write more when I'm back in London... but for now:

FORZA GENOA!!!!! 4th place is only for yourselves to lose!

FORZA MILAN!!!!! 2nd place is ours if we maintain our consistency!

FORZA Lazio and Napoli!!!! Get out of this bad form and end on a high, keep your stars!

CASSANO!!!! Dont leave Samp - its one of your best career moves and you're hitting some of the best form ever with a team built around you!

DIEGO!!!! Choose Juve. This is the kind of player I can honestly see as a future leader. He has confidence, strength, technique and initiative. Definitely a match changing player.

Back
Top Bottom