Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2008/2009 Season

casillas makes a lot of big saves and probably saves madrid 10 or 12 points every season. van der sar on the other hand doesnt have a lot to do most of the time, dont get me wrong whens hes called upon he more often than not does the job but i wouldnt say he was worthy of the title of one of the 2 or 3 best in the world.

casillas makes a lot of big saves and probably saves madrid 10 or 12 points every season. van der sar on the other hand doesnt have a lot to do most of the time, dont get me wrong whens hes called upon he more often than not does the job but i wouldnt say he was worthy of the title of one of the 2 or 3 best in the world.

But J. Cesar is number one at the moment and Casillas good enemy for brazilian goal keeper. :BOP:

So i'll give my thoughts on the Gk's of the top 4 in Serie A and some others.

Julio Cesar: Well he has been keeping me amazed all season long. He is simply out of this world. I'd rate him as the best GK at the moment. He saved Inter many games with his stops.

Abbiati and Dida: Both not world class GK's at the moment, that is why Milan were after the likes of Boruc, Lloris, and Frey in the summer. Abbiati had a good season but not a great one. Still catches the ball at 2 times and had some mistakes this season. While Dida, well some might disagree completely, I think he is better than Abbiati, but not by much. But still he has moments were he is great and moments were he is simply bad.

Doni: He still doesn't convince me. Cost Roma some goals which could have been avoided. I think Roma deserve better. Maybe Amelia or Marchetti but most probably Amelia.

Buffon: Well nothing to say about Buffon. Simply World Class Experienced GK. Still has minimum 5 great season ahead of him. Took some goals whose Juventus defense is totally to blame.

Buffon and Casillas are in a league of their own. Julio Cesar is probably the 3rd best in the world but is still a long way away from those two.

So i'll give my thoughts on the Gk's of the top 4 in Serie A and some others.

Julio Cesar: Well he has been keeping me amazed all season long. He is simply out of this world. I'd rate him as the best GK at the moment. He saved Inter many games with his stops.

Abbiati and Dida: Both not world class GK's at the moment, that is why Milan were after the likes of Boruc, Lloris, and Frey in the summer. Abbiati had a good season but not a great one. Still catches the ball at 2 times and had some mistakes this season. While Dida, well some might disagree completely, I think he is better than Abbiati, but not by much. But still he has moments were he is great and moments were he is simply bad.

Doni: He still doesn't convince me. Cost Roma some goals which could have been avoided. I think Roma deserve better. Maybe Amelia or Marchetti but most probably Amelia.

Buffon: Well nothing to say about Buffon. Simply World Class Experienced GK. Still has minimum 5 great season ahead of him. Took some goals whose Juventus defense is totally to blame.

And what am I to say?

A full analysis like yours, I did not know it.

I can say that J. Cesar is the best GK for the price at which he was raised in Italy (€ 100,000 approx)

Inter-Fans We must thank R. Mancini.

Gifts is a good goalkeeper, he is to the moment: good moments and bad moments.

Surely, the Roma, this year will not be able to entare among the top 4 and then, I assume that things will change drastically for her.

Money makes the power.

I find it strange that Frey was not purchased by any big team, but I think he added that sooner or later a super offer.

Are you "rosso nero"?

Yes I am a Milan fan and Proud :D

Emerson released. Should have really been pissed of to run out now as his contract expires this summer :D

Last edited:

YOUR PERSONAL "Serie A Awards". Just based on this campaign. I'm thinking a top 5 "Top player", top 5 "Rookie (or 1st year in top flight), top 5 "CB". These would be ONLY based on this campaign...and not who is the best(because I'm sure Nesta or Trezeguet would still be on that list).
I am going after the Top 5 CB's in the Serie A this campaign:
1. Giorgio Chiellini
2. Philippe Mexès
3. Paolo Maldini
4. Matías Silvestre
5. Juan
Honorable Mention:
Thomas Manfredini, Sebastiano Siviglia, Diego López

i don't agree about maldini...he's been one of the top defenders in whole football history (maybe the best LB) but actually he is not the player he used to be because of his age.

here's my list about the top 5 midfielders

-cambiasso
-fabio simplicio
-thiago motta
-de rossi
-asamoah (one of the biggest surprise of the season,another good young player found by udinese)

honorable mention: momo sissoko,palombo,brighi

I can understand the arguement against Maldini...I have a problem where to put guys like that. He obviously isn't at his best, but he is still playing better than most CBs IMO.

As far as midfielders go, I can't agree with all of yours. Specifically, I don't know how you can have Asamoah & Simplicio over Liverani and D'Agostino. Asamoah has only played in about a quarter of a season, and has impressed. And the addition of Liverani to the midfield has meant more to Palermo IMO. I also feel that Brighi has a really surprising season, but I think a NT call-up was a bit much.

1.Esteban Cambiasso
2.Daniele De Rossi
3.Thiago Motta(I'm not entirely familiar with him, but it's hard to ignore his impact in their MF)
4.Fabio Liverani
5.Gaetano D'Agostino
6.Cristian Ledesma
7.Angelo Palombo
8.Andrea Pirlo(not his best season, but still the best at what he does)
9.Felipe Melo(has outplayed Donadel, Montolivo and Kuzmanvic this season)
10.Blerim Džemaili(another one of the biggest suprises this season. Doesn't play for a big club...but has been outstanding this season.)

Honorable Mention:
Cigarini(if not injured)

I also let off AMF's like Kaka, Rosina, Simplicio & Hamsik.

i remember we had a top 11 (and top 11 rookies) conversation last season (can't remember at wich point of the season though). it might be interesting to get those posts back (just to see how those guys we picked performed this season).

anyway too many names come into my head right now and i don't have time to put them into a specific order (tomorrow maybe).

I don't know how you can have Asamoah & Simplicio over Liverani and D'Agostino.

i guess it's also a matter of personal likes. for instance, by looking at your lists and Gigi's list, i can tell u have a soft spot for deep-lying playmakers, while Gigi definitely loves "old school" metodisti :))

that's why the top 11 conversation Dominic brought in last season was a very clever idea... coz to field a complete setup u must pick up both a metodista (or a pure defensive midfielder) and a playmaker :))

however gotta go now. tomorrow i'm gonna add my thoughts to the conversation :BYE:

p.s.
buon compleanno Stefano!!!!!!!! Hope u're having a nice one mate. :WASTED:
i'm sending u my best wishes for your birthday here coz, as usual, i don't have enough time to log on messenger

Last edited:

Thanks Ben!

As we are approaching the end of the season, Milan needs to play their BEST formation to maintain 2nd place. I think right now it should be:

----------Dida---------
Flamini-Bonera-Favalli-Zamb
-----------------------
---Becks--Pirlo--Ambro
---------Kaka---------
------Pato--Pippo------
---------------------

Alternatively, Pato sole striker with Ronnie and Kaka, or Ronnie ahead of Kaka since Kaka is clearly still recovering and regaining form. Stats have shown that when Favalli is a CB, we've always gotten points. Maldini is a HUGE liability and is only playing due to injuries. Flamini needs to start- he has heart and soul. Ambrosini is our true captain these days, and its a joke how he hasn't received a contract renewal yet!

Jankulovski is great in midfield, but in defense he is a liability, like Maldini. We need him to play more offensive roles rather than full back. Zambrotta is better back there, and Flamini is a monster.

Future Milan (How I think it will look with Ancelotti in charge, and the ideal line up imo):

----------Abbiati----------
Flamini--Silva---Agger--Zamb
--------------------------
-----------Pirlo-----------
-----Ringhio---Ambro------
----------Kaka------------
-----Pato-----Borriello-----

Subs:
Dida
Abate
Antonini
Jankulovski
Darmian
Bonera
Ronaldinho
Seedorf
Paloschi
Inzaghi

Pirlo will have protection from Gattuso and Ambrosini, giving him more freedom. They run a lot and a lot of top European clubs have midfield muscle to compensate for strong offenses recently. Flamini is a pure runner and hunter.... we need his aggression and stamina down the flanks to balance out Zambrotta's forward runs. Borriello is arguably our most complete striker. When he started this season, we almost always won. He is good in the air and a strong striker. Would complement Pato perfectly.

imo Seedorf needs to play less or go. He's lazy and only plays well when he feels like it... which is once in every 5 games. I think its time we let him go or give him a minor role. Players like Ronnie, Becks and Gourcuff are far more determined than he is and have a lot more qualities imo. He's been great in the past, but now is the present and we need results.

Paloschi will be an expensive signing since we stupidly co-owned him out to Parma... and he's scoring left right and center. Pippo is still scoring hat tricks at 34, therefore he would be a very useful sub, and a good mentor for Paloschi.

OUT:
Maldini
Favalli
Seedorf
Shevchenko
Oddo
Gourcuff (:()

In relation to Ben's top 11 thing... here's mine based on current/seasonal form
I like using the lesser known players that imo deserve a mention!

-----------Julio Cesar-------------
Pisano---Kjaer----Chiellini---Santon
---------------------------------
------T. Motta---Beckham--------
-------------Doni---------------
------------------------------
--------Pato-------Cassano------
------------Di Vaio------------

Julio Cesar - No need to say anything
Pisano - Often Cagliari's best defensive player. Very consistent and therefore I think is one of the best full backs this year.
Santon - Didn't play that much, but for his age... he has incredible composure and concentration. Very good for what he has to offer
Kjaer - He's the man! Scores goals and is already hunted by everyone. I thought his season was solid and will get better.
Chiellini - Had some off games lately, but in big games he really does show his leadership and abilities.
Motta - Former Barca man wants to redeem himself. Scoring goals, holding the midfield - one of Genoa's engines. Hope he stays.
Beckham - Some might say Beckham doesn't deserve to be there after only playing for like 5 months. But imo he completely deserves it. Most people, including me, thought that this 'publicity stunt' wouldn't really change much... but he actually brought a lot to Milan. He is a true professional who, at times, seems to be the most serious player on the pitch. He runs hard and tries hard.... and makes incredible crosses/passes.
Doni - Can be invisible sometimes, but when hes not... he is Atalanta's soul. Against Roma, Inter and Milan... he destroyed our defenses even at that age. He really can do so much and should never have left Atalanta in the past.
Pato - Like I said before, our best player this year and is just incredible. All year long he has been impressive.
Cassano - Magic in both his feet. Last night against Inter some of the things he did were just out of this world. I think he has arguably some of the best raw potential in any footballer I have ever seen in my life time. He can do so much with so little... and just keeps creating chances and scoring important goals.
Di Vaio - Hes the man! Scoring goals from all directions and can still save Bologna. Been scoring all season.

Honorary mention:
Pippo - If Pippo played more games this season....
Jankovic
Miccoli
Kolarov
Halfredsson
Marchetti
.... loads more...

Last edited:

I gotta ask why Hallfredsson in an Honorable Mention? He only played in I think 7 matches this season & 4 were as late subs?

I'm a bit suprised to read that about Pisano...I personally probably rate Marco Pisano above him as far as defensive ability(not to mention Marco helps out at CB as well). I'm interested in hearing more about F. Pisano. As I have not nearly thought of him this highly. Off the top of my head it would be hard to ignore Litchtsteiner or Maicon at RB. For Instance why is he better than Comotto?

Where the hell is Nesta? Any news about him? :(

I gotta ask why Hallfredsson in an Honorable Mention? He only played in I think 7 matches this season & 4 were as late subs?

I'm a bit suprised to read that about Pisano...I personally probably rate Marco Pisano above him as far as defensive ability(not to mention Marco helps out at CB as well). I'm interested in hearing more about F. Pisano. As I have not nearly thought of him this highly. Off the top of my head it would be hard to ignore Litchtsteiner or Maicon at RB. For Instance why is he better than Comotto?

I left out the bigs like Zlatan, Maicon and Del Piero etc. because it would be too easy. Sure they are world-class, but I think its more fun trying to think of lesser known guys.

A lot of my choices are down to preference. Halfredsson for example, didn't play a full season but when he has played he really impressed me, but its unfair to put him on my proper 11, so its just a mention. Look at him!!!! He's the man!
Halfredsson.jpg
:LOL:

I chose Francesco Pisano because I thought he was extremely consistent, and at times captained Cagliari this year. I also remember looking at all his 'pagelle' this season and he gets solid ratings of 6-8. So imo he deserves to be up there and is certainly a huge part to Cagliari's solid defense and performance this year.

Where the hell is Nesta? Any news about him? :(

I don't consider him a Milan player really anymore. I love Nesta but I think his career is over, and we will hear his retirement soon. He's too fragile to be considered a key Milan player.... even though he was one of the best CBs I have ever seen.

Cafu-Stam-Nesta-Maldini....... awesome.

Last edited:

Comotto is a very good RB. i was gutted when he refused palermo's offer.
but that pisano really has a future. i do agree with Stef, when he says he's the most talented element in cagliari's defensive line (even more than canini).
and he's a lot better than the other pisano (the former palermo left back, current torino player) ;) keep an eye on him Jason, as he's worthy :))

as for halfredsson, he was outstanding last season, and i don't quite understand why he didn't get much playtime this year... but yep, i guess he didn't play enough to deserve a mention.
LOL stef, nice pic! :LOL:

this is my top 11

--------------------------------julio cesar
maicon----------------kjaer-----------------chiellini------------bellini

--------------------motta-------d'agostino--------de rossi

-------------------cassano--------------------sculli
----------------------------------milito

best 5 picks for each role
GK: julio cesar - frey - bizarri - amelia - marchetti

CB: chiellini - kjaer - manfredini - legrottaglie - bocchetti

RB: maicon - pisano - zuniga - lichtsteiner - cassani

LB: Bellini - balzaretti - ????? i really don't know who else to put here as vargas and pasqual disappointed me and santon didn't play enough to deserve a mention imo (even though he's been fucking impressive)

DMF: Sissoko - biondini - zanetti - biagianti - nocerino - carboni

METODISTI: de rossi - motta - palombo - cambiasso - marchisio

PLAYMAKERS: d'agostino - conti - liverani - dzemaili - pirlo

AMF: inler - hamsik - guarente - cossu - foggia

SP\SS: cassano - mutu - quagliarella- miccoli - sculli

CF: Milito - gilardino - ibra - di vaio - pato - floccari

honorable mentions:
mascara - amauri - pazzini - palladino - jeda - sanchez - asamoah (this guy is a monster! :SHOCK:) - acquafresca - cigarini - brighi - portanova - stovini - criscito........ and probably many more i'm forgetting right now :))

I don't consider him a Milan player really anymore. I love Nesta but I think his career is over
yep... and with him and maldini on their way to retirement, the glorious italian cb school will be officially dead! :CRY:

Last edited:

Cannavaro is near his end as well at 36 but I hope to see him come back to Napoli but it seems like they won't be getting him and a move back to Juve is possible.

I really want to him leading at the back for Napoli though. That'd be awesome.

p.s. Found out anything about Pirlo's family's oil money, Ben? Maybe my friend was Bullshitting... because if none of you had even heard about this, then perhaps it's not true.

But basically I heard, because of his family, he was already gonna be rich even without football. Kinda like Gianluca Vialli.

I had a quick look and I found a few websites saying that his family own several Steel refineries, not sure how true this is, like you say. But he does seem rather wealthy.

I know that Kaka has a wealthy family too, so even without football he would've had a pretty good life.

In terms of talent, I would put Balotelli in the top formation. He has MAD skills and has been really impressive lately.

PLF said:
Cannavaro is near his end as well at 36 but I hope to see him come back to Napoli but it seems like they won't be getting him and a move back to Juve is possible.

yeah that would be great. the 2 cannavaro brothers playing togheter, two 100% napoletani protecting napoli's box....
it's a shame it probably won't happen, as they say the deal with juve is almost done.

p.s. Found out anything about Pirlo's family's oil money, Ben?
i actually asked to a very reliable source (when it comes to milan). sunday i had dinner with a milanese judge. he was my favourite university professor and, concerning the rossoneri, he's some sort of a living encyclopaedia.
unfortunately he didn't seem to be very updated about pirlo's family financial situation.
infact when i asked him "i heard pirlo's family is pretty wealthy, is it true?"
he replied "now this is a creepy question, boy... u're not planning a kidnapping aren't u" :LOL:

Lol Ben.

Well, like Stefano, I did some research myself though obviously not knowing Italian means my sources are limited to English ones and several websites did mention that he comes from a wealthy family because his parents own several steel factories. In fact, some said his dad is a fairly well known business-man. But the fact that Italians like yourself living in Italy haven't heard of him may mean he's not as well known as these sites report.

But the fact that his family was well off even without his football now seems more certain because I saw several sources. It's not oil money though.. I was wrong about that. It's 'steel'. :P

@Milanista, I didn't know Kaka's family was wealthy. Then again, we have to define wealthy... do you mean like his family wasn't poor like those of many other Brazilian players who grew up in poverty or are they actually RICH. Cuz I wouldn't call me and my family 'wealthy' but you know we never have had trouble growing up thankfully, but this is interesting... I wonder if Kaka was more like me and you or actually rich like Pirlo, Vialli, etc.

Kaka I think was actually well off. You can tell with his English etc seems like he was from a rich family in Brazil.

i always heard the media saying kaka's family was "benestante". the proper english translation of benestante is "wealthy", wich should be 1 step below "rich".
but then again people in italy usually use the word benestante also to refer to rich people. the expression "ricco" (rich) is seen as a show off, so "benestante" (wealthy) is considered an elegant, dicrete way to say rich.

btw was Vialli family rich aswell? i didn't know that (gosh i'm such an ignorant :P)

anyway i got the feeling the fiorentina - roma game tonite is gonna be absolutely horrible to watch (sure not as horrible as that juve-inter game a few weeks ago though).
it's gonna be too important for both teams to win the game, and the pressure on both sides will be immense.

From what I know Kaka was not that "wealthy" but he was a white kid with good education so that's halfway to have at least decent life here.
But I'm pretty sure he was not that rich.

OT: I read lo zio quoting PLF but to be honest took me a while to figure it out who was him :P
I was looking for the old Diego Tristan avatar then I see El Niño, nah that ain't him :P Just joking off course.

anyway i got the feeling the fiorentina - roma game tonite is gonna be absolutely horrible to watch (sure not as horrible as that juve-inter game a few weeks ago though).
it's gonna be too important for both teams to win the game, and the pressure on both sides will be immense.
:OOOH: Fiorentina were very impressive. Compact and robust, and full of determination. I think Cassetti should've been sent off for that foul on Jovetic - imo MOTM and has bags full of potential. Thought the 3-0 was a very nice goal and so was Vargas'. Montolivo's blind pass to Gila for that 3rd goal was awesome.

Roma were, as most of their games against motivated teams this season, destroyed. No solidity.... Pizzaro had a very good game until the sending off but the team were a little disjointed and were just long balling all game. Reminds me of Milan before the new year.

Now for Genoa's response tomorrow.....

anyway i got the feeling the fiorentina - roma game tonite is gonna be absolutely horrible to watch

man, i was soo wrong :P
nice match. and monumental performance by gila. that was just outstanding, even for his top class standards :WORSHIP::WORSHIP:

thanks for the info about kaka, Sauce. it's nice to see u on the serie a thread :))

my mighty palermo was pretty much destroyed today :(

p.s. kakà is a god. but we all know that of course.

marilungo :APPLAUD:

Very controversial first penalty for Milan I would say. But then again, Palermo didn't step up to the game and Milan played a very good game. They are starting to look like a solid group again.

It's going to be hard not seeing Roma in the CL, which means they would lose some of the big names they have. On the other hand, Fiorentina are one step closer after Genoa's upset today. It would be great to see them the 2'nd time in the CL with some new stars arriving...

Back
Top Bottom