Sony PlayStation

I signed up for the BETA ages ago, but so far have not been accepted onto it.
It would of been nice to get on it, as the PS5 storage is really ridiculous - I am so glad that it is not my primary gaming machine.

I just can't believe it has been about 8/9 months since launch and they still haven't activated the 2nd NVMe slot yet.
yeah... took them some time.
i'm ok with the space available; dont need (for example) 25 games on my disc.
btw: the PS4 had only 500GB, so thats a step up! ;)

Well least we know there doesn't seem to be any limitation of what SSD you can use with the PS5.

Basically just has to be any PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD and for it to have a heatsink, which would be a wise move anyway given how hot some of the components within the PS5 run.

I am hoping, I will be eventually be accepted into the firmware BETA and will most likely only purchase a 500GB drive to increase the storage as the system isn't my primary gaming machine, but have however run out of space on my PS5 on a couple of occasions.

Finally:-

Congratulations, bsmaff!​
You've been invited to help test the PlayStation®5 System Software Public Beta. Your participation is very important to us and we look forward to receiving your feedback.

Please note that because this is a beta, features and specifications may change prior to the official system software release.

Main updates from this System Software Beta Program:

• M.2 SSD Storage Expansion
Click here to read detailed instructions on how to install M.2 SSD to a PS5 console, and the required specifications for the M.2 SSD and cooling structure (heatsink, etc.).
• 3D Audio Support for Built-In TV Speakers
Go to [Settings] > [Sound] > [Audio Output] and turn on “Enable 3D Audio for TV Speakers” and measure room acoustics for 3D Audio to try this new feature.
• PS5 UX Enhancements​

Finally:-

Congratulations, bsmaff!​
You've been invited to help test the PlayStation®5 System Software Public Beta. Your participation is very important to us and we look forward to receiving your feedback.

Please note that because this is a beta, features and specifications may change prior to the official system software release.

Main updates from this System Software Beta Program:

• M.2 SSD Storage Expansion
Click here to read detailed instructions on how to install M.2 SSD to a PS5 console, and the required specifications for the M.2 SSD and cooling structure (heatsink, etc.).
• 3D Audio Support for Built-In TV Speakers
Go to [Settings] > [Sound] > [Audio Output] and turn on “Enable 3D Audio for TV Speakers” and measure room acoustics for 3D Audio to try this new feature.
• PS5 UX Enhancements​

tenor.gif

let us know your findings and impressions, ya olde beta tester! :D

Well some people have been testing SSDs:-

We tracked down an ADATA XPG Gammix S50 Lite, one of the slowest compatible PCIe Gen4 drives we could find at 3,900MB/s reads and 3,200MB/s writes, and stuck it into a PS5, along with another drive.

We compared the S50 Lite against both the PS5’s internal SSD and a 5,000MB/s Sabrent Rocket 500GB in a battery of tests, including load times for games like early PS5 showcases Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

The verdict?
Surprisingly, even the slowest compatible SSD we could find had near-identical load times to the one Sony includes in the box.
Sometimes it’s a second slower, sometimes a second or two faster, but basically it’s a total wash.
Hopping through dimensions in Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, I saw no appreciable difference with the slowest SSD in gameplay, either.
Stepping through pocket dimensions was instantaneous, and when there was a slight pause during a boss fight, I saw the same pause on the internal SSD as well.

We tracked down an ADATA XPG Gammix S50 Lite, one of the slowest compatible PCIe Gen4 drives we could find at 3,900MB/s reads and 3,200MB/s writes, and stuck it into a PS5, along with another drive.

We compared the S50 Lite against both the PS5’s internal SSD and a 5,000MB/s Sabrent Rocket 500GB in a battery of tests, including load times for games like early PS5 showcases Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

The verdict?
Surprisingly, even the slowest compatible SSD we could find had near-identical load times to the one Sony includes in the box.
Sometimes it’s a second slower, sometimes a second or two faster, but basically it’s a total wash.
Hopping through dimensions in Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, I saw no appreciable difference with the slowest SSD in gameplay, either.
Stepping through pocket dimensions was instantaneous, and when there was a slight pause during a boss fight, I saw the same pause on the internal SSD as well.
Hmmm, interesting! I just found one guy sell his two EVO 980PRO 1T for 150 euros each, I think to get one. What about the heatsink requirement?

I just need to decide whether to get a 500GB or 1TB SSD..
I think TBH an extra 500GB will be perfectly fine.

Hmmm, interesting! I just found one guy sell his two EVO 980PRO 1T for 150 euros each, I think to get one. What about the heatsink requirement?

The heatsink requirement is probably there due to how hot the components in the PS5 run, it seems to be common knowledge the memory chips are running incredibly hot and would expect that without a heatsink the SSD's would most likely be beyond a comfortable level.
The SSD is kept in such a confined space it is likely to get very hot there, it is not a PC where the SSD has so much free air around to assist with the cooling.

The verdict?
can you please provide a source to that?!

can you please provide a source to that?!

The link is below:-
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22608153/ps5-ssd-speed-test-storage-expansion-m2-playstation-5

TBH I am not surprised by this, many people in the past have done tests with SATA, NVMe and PCIe 4.0 drives in the past.
Although on paper the SSD's are a lot quicker the reality is there is absolutely no real difference between the drives.
The best test I saw was something Linus done a while ago where he got a few people to guess which one has the SATA SSD and which one had the high end PCIe 4.0 SSD - I think at the end only one person got it right.

The link is below:-
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22608153/ps5-ssd-speed-test-storage-expansion-m2-playstation-5

TBH I am not surprised by this, many people in the past have done tests with SATA, NVMe and PCIe 4.0 drives in the past.
Although on paper the SSD's are a lot quicker the reality is there is absolutely no real difference between the drives.
The best test I saw was something Linus done a while ago where he got a few people to guess which one has the SATA SSD and which one had the high end PCIe 4.0 SSD - I think at the end only one person got it right.
tenor.gif

;) (i hope i got that correct)

the more i dive into gaming PC territory the more i'm watching related videos on yt. Linus is one of the guys i subscibed to. any other recommendations regarding good tech news, tech guys... everything PC and gaming you can give!?

tenor.gif

;) (i hope i got that correct)

the more i dive into gaming PC territory the more i'm watching related videos on yt. Linus is one of the guys i subscibed to. any other recommendations regarding good tech news, tech guys... everything PC and gaming you can give!?

I sometimes watch Linus, as he is the main guy on YouTube, his channel is quite in your face and entertaining - But he also does a lot of trash videos these days like most YouTubers.

I would say the one I watch the most and pay most attention too is Gaming Nexus, they seem to do a really decent job with their information and it is certainly a lot more informative than other channels.

I also on very occasions watch some videos by this guy - JayzTwoCents - https://www.youtube.com/user/Jayztwocents

After that they are the only other one which you got me more into is Digital Foundry as they do good comparison videos and they are very informative at what they do, however I skip watch them, as I find them all incredibly boring to actually listen too for long periods.

I sometimes watch Linus, as he is the main guy on YouTube, his channel is quite in your face and entertaining - But he also does a lot of trash videos these days like most YouTubers.

I would say the one I watch the most and pay most attention too is Gaming Nexus, they seem to do a really decent job with their information and it is certainly a lot more informative than other channels.

I also on very occasions watch some videos by this guy - JayzTwoCents - https://www.youtube.com/user/Jayztwocents

After that they are the only other one which you got me more into is Digital Foundry as they do good comparison videos and they are very informative at what they do, however I skip watch them, as I find them all incredibly boring to actually listen too for long periods.
I stumbled across Gaming Nexus already and Jayztwocents too. :D
DF videos I am watching for years now.

im glad you said the same. Slowly I’m getting there again… had a laugh about me „looking at myself“ tinkering like in the good old days. Nights are short, days at work seem endless.… :LOL:

So I downloaded the BETA bios and purchased a 1TB Samsung PM9A PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD for £85 from eBay.
The SSD is basically an OEM Samsung 980 Pro, so to get a £180 Samsung drive for only £85 is a bonus.

The SSD reads at 7,000MBPS so way above Sony's recommendation.

The only issue at the moment is getting hold of an SSD heatsink right now is absolutely impossible, I get the feeling pretty much everyone has bought a heatsink for preparation for the new firmware.

Once I get the SSD and install it, I will run a few tests to see if there is any difference between the internal SSD and the new SSD.
Although I fully expect the SSD to perform exactly the same, like all the other reports online saying they will.

Last night, I finally got round to installing the SSD into my PS5.
Installation process was incredibly easy, just unclick the top and just two screws to get installed - Took me about 5 minutes.

So I purchased the 1TB Samsung PM9A PCIe 4.0 SSD, which is basically a Samsung 980 Pro but made for OEM manufacturers.
I bought it on eBay for £90, so TBH was an absolute bargain.
The heatsink purchased is now OOS, so can't show which one, as pretty much all heatsinks are OOS, so I just had to purchase one which is available - It really isn't a great one, but will easily do the job.

The PS5 instantly detected the SSD and formatted it, which took about 10 seconds.
I installed a couple of games - Spider-Man Miles and F1 2021 to the NVMe SSD and loaded the games on both and the performance difference was identical.

TBH 1TB is probably a bit too much storage, but given the really cheap price I paid for the drive, I am more than happy with it.
I can now at least install pretty much every game to my hearts content and not have to worry about constantly deleting games, due to the complete lack of storage of the PS5 out the box.

I was furious last night! I tried to install a kit for PES 2021 so I uploaded the file to one of my flash drives which are 3.0! The front USB says but PS5 says: ... NO... I don't support this drive on the front try on the back ... I put it on the back .. it doesn't even notice that there is a flash driver at all! I formatted it on PC, first NTFS then exFAT, and tried again ... but again without success!
I tried with another flash drive which is again 3.0 but bigger, 256 GB or 128 GB if I'm not mistaken ... again, the front refused to accept it, so I put it in the back .. the console wrote something about some sizes and speeds and nothing happened ...
Then I tried with an external hard drive, 2 TB which is usually connected to my TV to record, again on the front refused to accept it, so I put it on the back again. Alleluia. The PS5 requested a drive format and after the format, I already had access to it .. BUT my PC no longer recognizes it ... what the hell is going on? I'm sure I've installed OF files before, and I did it all from the front USB input ...did Sony broken something with their latest update? DO I need an old ass 2.0 USB drive?

I was furious last night! I tried to install a kit for PES 2021 so I uploaded the file to one of my flash drives which are 3.0! The front USB says but PS5 says: ... NO... I don't support this drive on the front try on the back ... I put it on the back .. it doesn't even notice that there is a flash driver at all! I formatted it on PC, first NTFS then exFAT, and tried again ... but again without success!
I tried with another flash drive which is again 3.0 but bigger, 256 GB or 128 GB if I'm not mistaken ... again, the front refused to accept it, so I put it in the back .. the console wrote something about some sizes and speeds and nothing happened ...
Then I tried with an external hard drive, 2 TB which is usually connected to my TV to record, again on the front refused to accept it, so I put it on the back again. Alleluia. The PS5 requested a drive format and after the format, I already had access to it .. BUT my PC no longer recognizes it ... what the hell is going on? I'm sure I've installed OF files before, and I did it all from the front USB input ...did Sony broken something with their latest update? DO I need an old ass 2.0 USB drive?
Never had a problem putting my OF files on a exfat formatted usb stick (2.0,3.0) and copying them over (WE folder is important but you know that). The PlayStation don’t send a message to format, I guess that’s only done when an external hdd drive is connected and PS wants to make it PS storage. i fear your PC data is gone now as the external HDD is PS storage now (you can try recovery tools on windows though).
There should be a warning message coming up before formatting, about all data on the external hdd being deleted if going on with the process...

usually i use a 128GB 3.1 stick these days (for a year now). old 32GB 2.0 were working too.

Last edited:

Interesting to see what they show here, the "You have been patient" line indicates it's at least something exciting. I would probably be happy with a "The PS5 system will be more readily available over the next months" but there is probably little chance of that.

One question : i buyed the pack one month ago with Ratchet and Clank.
I know it's a hommage to 3D plateformers... The issue is that i don't have that nostalgia about 3D plateformer i'll explain:
-I buyed a PSX around 15 years old. keeped it one year and sold it (much more interested to buy clothes and... girls / clubbing so... I wasn't rich)

I already get some games in location such as Crash Bandicoot, but 3 days for at the time 3 to 5 euros depending the video club.
In fact, i discoverer plateformers 3D when my cousin gives me his N64 with SM64 and Banjo and Kazooie (i loved that game, but it was more adventure/action than a real classic transformer)
I also played, but very late like 6-7 years later, Spyro.

Well just to say : i don't have that nostalgia about 3D plateformers. I was more on 3D actions or MGS type when i played with friend, also ISS 98 Japanese translated version i won't explain how it was translated haha. Then i falled in love with Iss Pro Evolution. Discovered ISS PRO (the previous one) later etc. but whatever.... It was another time, but welll i just explain my relations with games...

So whatever i've said before, i got some questions : I will probably start that game, of course, like i did with Destiny even if i wasn't too much FPS (but i loved it).
-First, i've readed than that version is another story and it's not necessary to play the first.. But i've read the story a bit, and it seems a bit weird to read that when i saw that game universe. Would it be better to start by the PS4 remake of the first version or could i launch that version without problem?
Next question : Is the game is really a shooter/plateformer and that's all?
And the last and probably the most important to me : Isn't it too childish, or it's just the design that makes thinkin' about it? Just want to now if it's necessary to buy the first version, or not that much.

I just saw there's a tons of story, but that "Rift Appart" was just after the PS4 reboot.

FTM i will firstly re-start some games from PS4 without slodown in 4k as they looks outstanding, such as GOW (i never opened the pack... Editing and work together...) i wanted more free time to be in full immersion of that game especially, as God of War fan. One friend gives me the advice to rush on GOW instead, it's not super long and then try Ratchet PS5.

Thanks for reading and sorry about the "my life, my passion" stuffs, wasn't planned but just to explain : 3D plateformers needs something more for me to be impressed, and i'm not a fan of childish story. "For every age" doesn't matter, as long as the scenario is smart, interesting and well written, and there's some characters with real charisma and style.

Forspoken looks good
Guardians of the Galaxy looks really good, that evil church thing was in the comics, and was a great run
Insomniac aren't hanging about, Spider Man 2 AND Wolverine, get in
Gran Turismo 7 not really my thing, but it sure looks nice
God of War I didn't watch because I never finished the first one, don't want any spoilers

All in all, pretty solid, nothing groundbreaking. Kotor remake has to be hype for some players, but I never played it back in the day.

Last edited:
Put me down for Forspoken, KOTOR (never played it but heard great things), GT7 (doesn't quite look as impressive as Forza Horizon IMO but the controller features and the parts store sell it to me) and MAYBE, probably not but MAYBE, God of War.

Really isn't my thing but holy fuck those graphics.

Spider-Man 2 is far off, 2023, but... I still haven't played Miles Morales, saving it until I get a PS5. Hopefully THAT will be before 2023

Back
Top Bottom