The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

Too bad, I wanted to see them through as a fellow knocked-out from the group stage in 98.

In the other side, we're losing to USMNT in a friendly, the team looks like an utter mess, all players look fatigued, some good gives and goes from time to time but this is not how you're supposed to play in the WC. I can smell another disappointment in the way

Why is it called "a nutmeg"?
I know what it means ,but why?
If I'd translate the Swedish expression for that it would be called "a tunnel" (tunnel in Swedish too) or get "tunneled"

Why is it called "a nutmeg"?
I know what it means ,but why?
If I'd translate the Swedish expression for that it would be called "a tunnel" (tunnel in Swedish too) or get "tunneled"
In most languages it translates to something like a "Tunnel", but the expression from Moroccan translates to "Egg" for some reason. I once came across an article or a discussion in whoateallthepeas speaking about that matter but never read it

So Haaland will sitting on ManCity's bench next season? Because Pep can't play with a striker.
:II

I cannot stand these glamour, brand-builder friendlies played in the USA etc.

Friendlies are pointless, whether it's Barcelona vs Real Madrid or Brechin vs Buckie Thistle. The difference is that puntets don't get conned at Brechin vs Buckie Thistle.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the Europa Conference League quite a bit. :) I think it gives us a chance (especailly those of us who live outside Europe) to see lesser known teams from smaller leagues. I can't recall ever watching a Qarabag (from Azerbaijan) vs SC Freiburg (recently promoted from Bundesliga 2) match, just to give you an example of a group stage match. Seeing these teams and discovering smaller leagues is always exciting to me!

I've never been a Luis Suarez fan, but I think it's really cool that he decided to go back to his childhood club, Club Nacional de Football de Uruguay!

And he scored this gem in their Clasico this weekend, vs Peñarol no less! What a strike!

I love it when established World Class stars go back to their respective clubs looking for glory, like Veron with Estudiantes, Forlan with Peñarol, Maxi with Newell's, and now Suarez with Nacional of Uruguay! Shows their fandom towards their respective childhood clubs! :TU:

Last edited:
Hand of God's ball and the referee who allowed the goal.

The ball will be sold at auction

The red and yellow cards of England-Argentina will be sold by the same way

1666046869807.png

1666084642638.png

Thought this was a typo, :LOL: 34 shots for Man U vs 3 for Omonia in last Thursday's Europa league match!

I don't know what's more astonishing: The stats themselves or the fact that the match only ended 1-0 (on a last minute goal, no less! )

View attachment 183168

Thought this was a typo, :LOL: 34 shots for Man U vs 3 for Omonia in last Thursday's Europa league match!

I don't know what's more astonishing: The stats themselves or the fact that the match only ended 1-0 (on a last minute goal, no less! )
I didn’t watch this but I saw United had an xG of 4-something and didn’t even go ahead until the 93rd minute 😂

Anyone bold enough to make World Cup predictions? I took a flyer through my bracket and the group stage finished pretty chalky, and then I took some liberties in the knockouts:

2nd Round: Netherlands (1A) over Wales (2B), Argentina (1C) over France (2D), Spain (1E) over Canada (2F), Brazil (1G) over Portugal (2H); England (1B) over Qatar (2A), Denmark (1D) over Mexico (2C), Germany (2E) over Belgium (1F), Switzerland (2G) over Uruguay (1H)

Quarterfinals: Argentina over Netherlands, Spain over Brazil; Denmark over England, Switzerland over Germany (right side of the bracket gets weird!)

Semifinals: Argentina over Spain, Denmark over Switzerland

World Cup Champions: Argentina over Switzerland

Some random thoughts:
  • If my prediction is true, Argentina going through defending champs France, Netherlands and Spain before the final would be epic
  • Until Brazil does it, I'm not picking them. I'm too gun-shy from 06, 10, 14 (especially 14) and 18 and don't trust them against top European opponents
  • Croatia is too old and Canada will pounce
  • France gets out of the group, but only barely. No fullbacks, lack of a creator in midfield and injuries at the back.
  • Poland will once again appear in a World Cup, and that's all
  • I wish Korea and Japan got better draws
  • I hope England goes down in flames, as usual 😂

I'm rooting for South Korea and Croatia in this WC. :RSCARF: :BSCARF: I also wish the Koreans got a better draw. Interestingly enough I'm not really rooting for any South Americans in this one, I don't quite sympathize with any of the teams despite my geographical location, especially now that Colombia and Peru didn't qualify!

Teams I'll be actively rooting for: South Korea, Croatia. :)
Teams I sympathize with: Tunisia, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan, Morocco, and Portugal.

Prediction: Germany. :)

Last edited:
I'm rooting for South Korea and Croatia in this WC. :RSCARF: :BSCARF: I also wish the Koreans got a better draw. Interestingly enough I'm not really rooting for any South Americans in this one, I don't quite sympathize with any of the teams despite my geographical location, especially now that Colombia and Peru didn't qualify!

Teams I'll be actively rooting for: South Korea, Croatia. :)
Teams I sympathize with: Tunisia, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan, Morocco, and Portugal.

Prediction: Germany. :)
Not asking who you are rooting for, what you are predicting 😂

C'mon, put your name on it!

I think World Cup predictions are hilarious because they seem fairly straightforward but often go so wrong. Here in the US, during March Madness, which is college basketball, everyone picks their bracket from the very beginning and slowly watches it fall apart. I feel like there are fewer and fewer people willing to put their predictions out there before a World Cup for fear of looking like an idiot.

So come on, let's laugh — or marvel — at my Denmark-Switzerland semifinal in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom