The Retro-PES Corner

Note i just found my OF original version (i just replaced Meijer with the Editor / I remember that the number of players where limited)
.... But i still got a lot of character to reset or restore i'll explain :
The patch i got with real kits erased players to create others. So some disappears litteraly i got no idea how they do it. Their names in in Jap, you need to re-write manually 😅

I checked my OF on the original version, now i will try on the italian patched version with kits and removed players... Sometimes because they're not important (i hate that lol) then i'll edit this post if there's no problem.

Worse comes to worst I will just have to manually edit the stats of each player back to their original if I can. Should be able to do it for 98% of players - i'm using the Redux 3.0 patch so I know they updated the transfers up to February 2004 so there may be a few new players I wont be able to update stats wise.

I'm also on the redux patch BUT the OF from the original version resolved the issues. And i got all names in english on that version.
But i'm pretty sure to have a version with real kits, just can't found them.

I got at least 7 version of that game i kept when i edited lol, i'm searching. One version got emblems edited except LENS in black i don't know (if there's no place, just restore to the basic one then...) It's WE7I X-Fantasy.

Does anyone have Winning Eleven 7 International (NTSC-J) but with English player names? Every patch I have downloaded has an edited database with player attributes boosted which I dont want. I just need the original database with the original stats but with English player names.
Looks, there's no problem for transfers, i took to original file and re-translated almost manually. Only "issue" is that i found WE7I stats super weird and i took PES 4 stats which got more logic. Now i don't remember where i stopped to recopy them.

Then, for emblems, i can import for another version with OF2 system, i found another version on my HDD with even better emblems.

And the version with kits was for PES 3 i believe. But i need to retrieve it, i sincerely got no idea where i put that version if you needs kits.
I believe it's on PES 3 TheWolf version. No idea how to assign kits without kitservers.

AH yes, some boots disappears here and there on every patch. Well personnally i won't lie but it's for me it's a too basic PES very linear, after some games i prefers to give up. It was pretty good at the time... But it tooks some age to me, WE8LE crush it, and it's pretty rigid. I prefers PES 1/WE5 from the very older version. Those are my two favourite.

Last edited:
Yeah dont worry Vialli its ok. Its nothing major.

I was just trying to build a patch for the game. So I was planning on using the Redux 3.0 patch as a base but then I found out they had changed the stats for all the players which I didnt particularly want. Then I thought let me import the original database from the unpatched game but then its stupidly got the player names in Japanese even if you choose English as the language option.

So I can either do:

1. Use the Redux patch and edit the player stats.
2. Import the original database but change the player names from Japanese to English.

I will see when I get time what to do. If it takes too long I will just leave it.

My very first start when i received my PS2 was to edit WE7I, as i wanted to put the new stats system with more individuality and logic so was recopying all players from PES 4 lol.
Just a correction : when recently i've brough a PS2 as i really wanted at least the real hardware. Otherwhise i'm editing really since the fakes names from ISS 98.
Ha yes if you're interested there's a new PS2 emulator running smoother. You still got the same bugs but less visible (hair disappearing/slowdown)
I still prefers to play on a real hardware with an upscaler (no choice, didn't found a good CRT with an acceptable price)

https://pcsx2.net/downloads/ try on "nightly" : there's a 64 bits release. It's a beta but looks like another emulator, the rendering is more like PPSSPP
Don't forget to copy > paste your bios from your 1.4.0 PCSX2.

Also, there's edited kits on Redux when you click to "edited emblems", but they've got all the same colors (white, red stripes, adidas in black, red shorts)
Got to re-create it manually then. Well it's a bit boring and i carried a bit more about the database to rectify so i was like "we'll see later" lol.
But even if WE7I is far more balanced than PES 3, the rest still pretty basic. If i got to name a single PES between all that resume the best that era, i would chose that one. Simple and missing a bit of variety but balanced and not bad looking at all.

Last edited:
Are you playing Pes on your PS2? If so is there a recent option file update for the older games like PES 5 or 6? Did you get anywhere with that?

Yes on PS2. But you can add real kits etc. like a modded PS2 : i just own an HDD and Freemcboot, and with some exception (bad iso etc.) all games i ddl runs on it.

I'm building an option file but i got tons of things that slowed me down. Then the database, when you got some recoil about it is plenty of error visually or in height. There's not only Ribery who got 185cm when he's 170... Many others players too. I'm practically done for V1, but got issues that block me to continue editing.

Don't know if there will be a V2 as on PS2 i got much more fun as it's less predictable with PES 2008/WE 2008/JL 2008, so probably after i will focus on it like if it was the last and almost only (with some special PES i got a big nostalgia for it : 2008 versions are not a matter of nostalgia : i take it seriously like a current game)
Note: V2 consist to correct tons of faces / if not every single ones / and errors in game. Perhaps i will only correct errors then.

Also one last thing : even with big teams i tend to prefers to play JLWE9 Asia Championship too. It's not because players are weaker than the game is harder or more balanced. It's just better optimised and less predictable. But the Fernando's version contains plenty of errors that i got to correct, plenty of fakes names are totally wrong, even for Europe clubs. Needs again to clean this up but it won't took me as much time as PES 5 or when i edited PES 2008 (for nothing, already explained)

Last edited:
hello, can anyone help,, does somebody have the link for pes 5 original season patch v3, ... the one in google drive is deleted

It's not PES, but if you want to see a fantastically weird intro 'movie,' may I present to you, Adidas Power Soccer 98:

That is fucking horrifying. LSD's an awful thing.

I'm remembering a game that has a similarly mad intro. Really creepy, with faceless humanoid creatures trudging around a sort of industrial, dystopian wasteland before they're brought alive by football. Anyone help me out? Pretty sure it's a PS2 game.

That is fucking horrifying. LSD's an awful thing.

I'm remembering a game that has a similarly mad intro. Really creepy, with faceless humanoid creatures trudging around a sort of industrial, dystopian wasteland before they're brought alive by football. Anyone help me out? Pretty sure it's a PS2 game.
That was the 3D from that era too which got a part of responsibility not only crack lol.

Some got pretty hard on PS1 Era to build a good cinematic and didn't used for X reason (don't care, busy etc.) another tool than the PS1 to make some sequences on pre-calculated first (far less demanding), then put every sequence side to side and made a cinematic with. "It's in 3D? Yeah? then ok put it as an intro"... As 3d was THE gaming revolution.

But damn, that Adidas Power Soccer 98 (98 > PS1) was super long. I don't know excatly how heavy was cinematic but it's like it took 1/3 of the CD memory.

I would love to extract litterally PES 6 360 as the 360 was like a PC and make a remaster. Like some people did with Super Mario 64 on PS2.
But the game is a Billion time less popular than SM64

Face editor is the same as PES 2009 to 2013.

I'm having a small annoyance with PES 2009.

Every time I start up the game, I have to change language settings to German (I'm playing an ML with Werder Bremen and want to play with German commentary). Everything works pretty fine, I even save the settings and everything, but every time I start the game up again it reverts to Spanish. I'm playing with Smoke Patch. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

Hi, I'm desperately looking for a patch to either winning eleven och pro evolution for ps2 that only contained Eminem music. I'm pretty sure it was for a winning Eleven game and it must have been either 2002 or 2003. I had it on a cd but lost it when I moved. I have recently bought a computer for playing all my retro games but I can't find this one. Been searching in different forum but can't find anything with Eminem. The music is just for nostalgia reasons and a nice touch but if i find that patch I would know exactly which pro evolution or winning eleven version it was that I played all these years ago. I anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know!

Hey mate @Flipper the Priest , i was checking the PES 5 O.F. Bundle on that thread (i would like one with accurate tactics, if not whatever)

... Then i saw your PES 3 option file : i don't have any PES 3 O.F. like you described https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes-3-option-file.82479/
If you still got it or somebody else for an old ride... PES 3 is the one i played the least between WE7 and WE7I.
Thanks! Nothing hurry guys

Stumbled upon this video while browsing youtube.. A pretty interesting take.

So many years later and I'd say PES 5 is still the most respected and loved game in the saga. And I would rate it really high up there in my personal list, although my favorite is PES 2017. :TU:
As i'm separating PS2 to PS4 (too much diffencies, 2 gen between), i would put 2nd after PES 2008 if we stick on Euro version (i don't even talk to JL versions or WE)
Replayed it and still prefers WE9. Not sure about JLW9AC, it feels the same with big teams, and WE9LE is a little more faster on PS2 at least.

Then, for the next-gen it's PES 2021 the only one. They're all very lookalike with one defaut removed after the other from 15 to 17 (same "engine") and the games from 18 to 20 and then 21 (bigger pitch, more algorithms) not supposed to be out but the most worked of all version in every departement.

I could trow at the toilet every others versions in terms of re-playability. It's not that i don't like them all, but between two very very lookalike version : i prefers to make a definitive choice. I'll came back older, but i will probably switch to my PS4 games enhanced by PS5 next week and take a PES break.

Really, really needs some fresh air. I edited and tried/retried the game so much that i don't feel anything while playing or scoring or whatever else...

I believe i already told it for those who complain about "the joy of scoring a goal as disappears" : the more you play, let's say only 20-15 years at every yearly football games, the less, whatever the difficulty the game got, you will feel that scoring "OH YEAH!!". You will just push start and skip. After having scoring 22589 goals vs 1185, it's kinda normal that you're get used to it, whatever the goal.

But something important i always forgot to mention :
Let's remind here that we're fans and experimented players we're out of the overall opinion. Some of us are advanced players, but PC only, didn't discovered the Jap version neither etc., others sold their PS2 and took a gfx card around PES 3 etc. / We got all different situations.

The ones who tested practically every PES and WE, and for my instance i played more WE than PES except the 5 (no final evolution).

Edit: more clarified :

Now about the time we played those games :let's take the example of PES 3
1. i discovered the WE7 on April/May (same game overall, new engine etc.)
2. Then PES 3 from end October to february
3. Finally the WE7I on end February and WE8 until middle October 2004.

So in 12 months if you don't coun't the new version (WE8) in the equation, we played PES during +-5 months WE7, +-5 months PES 3 and WE7I same +-4 months depending the release of the new version.

So the PES european version or american was more or less 1/3 of what we played during a full year for the one who got... You know a magic PS2 who could've read some weird burned 1 euros Dvd :PIRATE:

Last edited:
PES 2017 gets my vote. :) I feel it's the only new-gen PES that really doesn't need any gameplay mods to be really enjoyable. With smoke patch it's a really fun experience, and it is receiving a lot of support from the modding community. Also, PES 2021 is still constantly evolving, gameplay mods coming out all the time! And with the disappointing efootball, a lot of people are going to keep PES 2021 active for a long time, so I think the gameplay is something that is constantly changing if you play on PC of course! That to me is the biggest advantage of 21.

In terms of the retro installments, PES 5 and 6 to me are rightfully considered classics, for very different reasons. PES 5 is the ultimate physical game and PES 6 is streamlined and also to me quite enjoyable. :) I've only just recently discovered PES 3 and 4 due to the patches available here in evoweb, so that's cool there's a lot to discover still. :TU:

EDIT: oh and that's not counting the winning eleven versions. I haven't actually sat down to compare the gameplays but I'm pretty sure they're different so that's even more to explore!

Last edited:
I don't play both 2021 and 2017 and the best "patch" from PES 2021 as we already talked about is the final from Konami vs mods ;)
The original is better than any mods after recoil. Perhaps you didn't played that game without the very last Konami's patch.

2017 don't need neither to be modded me, i thrust you, but it's a bit to quick to dibble, move etc. it misses inertia and physics algorithms they implanted in PES 2019 (i don't talk about the whole game) for much more variety when you turn, more physical logic (i talk about 19-21) even if it maked it slower > i prefers that than reactivity at all coast. Well it's not a news, i "tolerate" sliders but only want to see them on FIFA, so it's the same for PES mods. Everythime i tried one, there was something wrong, one of "bug/balance" door closed, 3 door open.

BUT i take PES 2017 as another game : like i said there's 15-17 and then the 18 alone as a missed mix between the two, then 19-21 when they added algorithms, stats (like Tight possession as before it was a calculation while running/without) and slower stuffs regarding the bigger pitch.

>That doesn't makes the games better for all but to me it bring on the pitch more realism an variety by keeping the fun safe.
There's another example i don't remember with another PS2 or PS3 game you prefers than the others (PES2010 vs PES 11-12-13?) : there's argument in favor, in terms of preferences, which concern yourself and nobody else.
Because what you prefers (what's better by the majority, don't be influed) is what will decide what's the version you'll like the most mate ;) It's simple like "hello" like we said here.

So i totally understand : one friend is a fan too. The approach is different and we should look at it as two different games, whatever they're both called PES :)

I like it but i feel there's facts then too. On what's more and what's corrected between two version but we talk about your favourite game. I got a lot of argument as you got a lot too for PES 2021 but it's boring to play those comparison. Well, i'm bored personally lol, i like it above all PS4 version and that's all. Same for you bro :WASTED:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom