The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

You should definitely give NBA Live 96 a shot! What most impressed me about it was, despite the game's space limitations etc, it had great gameplay, and the stats really made a difference which might not be noticeable at first glance, but once you get into a whole season, these stats really start to show.

Lakers vs Celtics and the NBA Playoffs is an absolute classic, btw. Who can forget Kareem's sky hook! :TU:

I've been trying some 16 bit baseball games recently and, out of the bunch, (there's a whole lot of them), the one that seems the most fun is Ken Griffey Jr's presents Major League Baseball. I like the cartoonish looks, even though it had a sequel called Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run, which is also quite a good installment, but I think this is the superior version, more variation in the pitches and realistic speeds, the soundtrack is pretty cool, and overall it has a certain charm about it! I was surprised to see the number of baseball games for 16 bit generation! ⚾

You should definitely give NBA Live 96 a shot! What most impressed me about it was, despite the game's space limitations etc, it had great gameplay, and the stats really made a difference which might not be noticeable at first glance, but once you get into a whole season, these stats really start to show.

Lakers vs Celtics and the NBA Playoffs is an absolute classic, btw. Who can forget Kareem's sky hook! :TU:
I found a playstation version online, and gave it a go, turned into a nail biting game with my Lakers beating Orlando Magic by a point! Didn't look like the PC version, but there was some of that old feeling there. And hilariously being able to push anyone without any fouls being called (AI did it too).

I found a playstation version online, and gave it a go, turned into a nail biting game with my Lakers beating Orlando Magic by a point! Didn't look like the PC version, but there was some of that old feeling there. And hilariously being able to push anyone without any fouls being called (AI did it too).
Nice! Yes I think the PS version of NBA Live 96 is kind of a hybrid, in terms of graphics, between 96 and 97 PC versions! But actually the gameplay is very similar to 96 PC, just kind of bigger heads, and a bit more defined sprites! I remember the Pre-Shaq Lakers, with Vlade Divac and Nick Van Exel. Good times!

Wow, never seen that PC version, it looks really great and playable, with the angle turning when you change camp.
Didn't got a PC at the time (my first one was in.... 2004 lol)

Looks like a spruced up version of Lakers vs Celtics from 89. That was one of my favorite games back in the day but I would not try another EA sports NBA game until 97 or 98. I bet I would have liked this one as well.

Remember than one but on Megadrive.
Also a 1 vs 1 with Jordan vs Bird, the game wasn't that great with the recoil, but you know, the first 16 bits era etc.
Same goes for Bulls vs Blazers or Lakers vs Celtic on that console (looks different that the DOS version). I loved that game.

I finally got MAME to work thanks to my friend @vialli82 and now I truly can enjoy this game which I have seen so much on retrogaming twitter!

It really looks like I'm going to enjoy this one! A historical Chinese Beat-Em up? Amazing. :D
This looks right up my alley!

Warriors of Fate :APPLAUD: :LMAO: :BEER: :BSCARF:

Here is the very first arcade game I ever played. It was at a local place which had a few arcade machines and I don't remember how old I was, maybe 10 or 11. A friend of a similar age let me control the movement while he controlled the sword. Naturally I fell into the very first thing I had to jump over three times and that was that. I remember this moment so vividly, having only played some Game & Watches before it was really something else. I think it really stoked a gaming fire in me, although I wouldn't start playing games regularily until many years later.

If someone knows a way to play some version of this I would be much obliged.

Volgarr the Viking would come out much, much later, a very obvious spiritual sequel. It is supposedly incredibly hard.

Both of these games look very interesting BTW! Love the platformers as they are probably my favorite type of games, now with MAME I will check these out as well! Here's another arcade that I remember quite well, I remember I used to have an older friend who used to take me to the arcades when I was really little and this is one of the first games I saw: Pit Fighter! I remember thinking at the time that the digitalized graphics were amazing, it's like I was watching a Van Damme action scene, haha.. My friend was really good at this one too, hardly anyone in his neighborhood could beat him. :COOL:

Here is the very first arcade game I ever played. It was at a local place which had a few arcade machines and I don't remember how old I was, maybe 10 or 11. A friend of a similar age let me control the movement while he controlled the sword. Naturally I fell into the very first thing I had to jump over three times and that was that. I remember this moment so vividly, having only played some Game & Watches before it was really something else. I think it really stoked a gaming fire in me, although I wouldn't start playing games regularily until many years later.

If someone knows a way to play some version of this I would be much obliged.

Volgarr the Viking would come out much, much later, a very obvious spiritual sequel. It is supposedly incredibly hard.

Sent you a link via PM, was my first Google result. Tested it and played in my shitty mobile phone Google Chrome browser, so i assume it plays 200% on PC.

Screenshot_2022-03-14-04-28-33-924_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Rastan, i never played it on Arcade, but i was a big big fan from the Master System version. One of my favourite. Got the Megadrive version too (Rastan 2, called also Nastar lol for the licence i think. But the first was better, graphisms and all)

My first remember game on arcade, as my grandmother possessed a tavern so i started video games at 4 years old was the legendary :

TRACK AND FIELD.

Then as my Grandmother changed games times to times, i got Pac Man and Galaga.
I played so much at Galaga that i was shooting already on the enemies just an half second when they appeared. But never get to the end, after it became really, really hard. Pac-Man i wasn't that much a fan, too repetitive... Probably too old too.

She also got a great Shoot-them-up with an Helicopter, but no way to found that one name. I searched everywhere. No, it's not Thunder Blade or Choplifter (but looks more like Choplifter) it was the more modern one we got as an Arcade game.

Rastan, i never played it on Arcade, but i was a big big fan from the Master System version. One of my favourite. Got the Megadrive version too (Rastan 2, called also Nastar lol for the licence i think. But the first was better, graphisms and all)

My first remember game on arcade, as my grandmother possessed a tavern so i started video games at 4 years old was the legendary :

TRACK AND FIELD.

Then as my Grandmother changed games times to times, i got Pac Man and Galaga.
I played so much at Galaga that i was shooting already on the enemies just an half second when they appeared. But never get to the end, after it became really, really hard. Pac-Man i wasn't that much a fan, too repetitive... Probably too old too.

She also got a great Shoot-them-up with an Helicopter, but no way to found that one name. I searched everywhere. No, it's not Thunder Blade or Choplifter (but looks more like Choplifter) it was the more modern one we got as an Arcade game.
Track & field on Gameboy,was another one of my most favourites and most played, good ol'KONAMI... :)

TRIED again on emulator, unfortunately it can't be played, neither with proper gamepad, nor with keyboard,neither in mobile with touch screen buttons..

My workarounds to slash the buttons on GB and on arcade cabinets were:

1) 1647264743970.jpeg

2) A closed cartridge case
1647264799828.jpeg

3) a lighter
1647264848446.jpeg

Of course, the buttons were damaged, and when you were in an arcades café or tavern, there was the danger of the shop owner to catch you and kick you out.

For my disappointment,i noticed that NES emulator has function for turbo buttons, and even bigger disappointed, those YouTubers showing World Records are using a proper official Nintendo NES gamepad, that had turbo buttons additional function. I find it like cheating and so unrewarding!!

Below I attached roms I've found for mobile so far, they are though totally unplayable in mobile.. Without turbo buttons cheating...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-14-15-26-24-977_com.dsemu.drastic.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-14-15-26-24-977_com.dsemu.drastic.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2022-03-14-15-26-03-338_com.johnemulators.johngbac.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-14-15-26-03-338_com.johnemulators.johngbac.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 2
I really didn't know, at that time, that there was Track'n'Field on Gameboy. Not at all. Or i would have brought it directly. There was even the Arc shooting.
But my favourite event was... Javelin Trowing.

The thing is if i remember / the Turbo Button wasn't exactly the ideal way to run faster, not that much for that game on Arcade.... As it was a matter of tempo and timing. Yes, you got to push super fast, but with the right timing matter, at every step i thrust.

Also for a similar game : i think it was for Olympic Gold.
you got to push right then left button (A then B) like if it was the right foot and then the left foot. Pretty difficult, i don't know if the Turbo on the 2 button serve to something : but i truely believe that you needed to push exactly the first then the second button for running, or the player slowed down.
So you can forget the Turbo button for that one.

Olympic Gold > Master System version

The Megadrive version got better graphisms and two or three events in more i think. I tried it and was amazed by the animations, but especially the button "reactions" : it seemed much more precise, less latency etc.

But the MS verison was already super greatly built for that time. Just look at the players models too, it was all right.

@vialli82 regarding the turbo controller and the controls. I remember Track and Field, had a similar philosophy, precise consecutive presses of A and B over sheer power, IE if you press A right after A your player bar would slow down.

It needed well timed and precise presses of buttons A, B , the one after the other.

So, now i don't know how turbo mode works, i would never use it to be honest, but I assume it may have a function, for rapid-turbo consecutive A->B press.. You know, one press simulates all the precise sequence.

I recall it ,after I've watched this video in the past, and the video author admitted in the comments, that he used turbo controller..
Screenshot_2022-03-14-20-00-06-386_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Here's the video..

But what you say about Olympic Games,applies also for T&F. If you exchange sheer force and speed, with focused and precise, alternative-consecutive button press, you get also good results.

But most people can't be both accurate and fast, when you focus to the one you loose the other a little bit.

Last edited:
I've been watching quite a bit of Sumo lately, seems very interesting to me! So looking for retrogaming Sumo options, I stumbled into this one!

Tsuppari Oozumou: Risshin Shussehen​

The only thing is, I haven't been able to find a translation for it, or if it even exists.. But the game itself looks to be exactly what I'm looking for! I'll try it, but I think it might be difficult to play without a translation, because of the menus and I'd also like to access all the options, etc.!

Here's another Sumo game, this time for the MegaDrive! called

Aah! Harimanada​

Unfortunately, only Japanese version, and it looks like it has so many interesting dialogues! Would love to find translation for any of these two!

I've been really enjoying the gameplay in this one! With emulation I was able to find this one: Castlevania:Bloodlines! I wasn't even aware that Sega Genesis/MegaDrive had a Castlevania edition! With 2 new characters and a different storyline that I wasn't aware of, the fun factor and ambiance in this edition is off the charts! I loved Super Castlevania 4 and Castlevania X for SNES, so I am really excited to find Bloodlines, which retains a lot of the classic elements and adds a few twists to the stages and overall gameplay! A very solid, often overlooked edition!

Since GBA is considered 32-bit, (which to be honest i have serious doubts though!!!), i will start some GBA beloved games. Advnace has a huge catalogue of games, and the MODDING, ROM-HACKING community , if you are playing on a PC emulator, has gone in another level.

So starting with the RPG's, basically those based on anime/manga that i love. Today i start with BEYBLADE G-REVOLUTION
1647699278036.jpeg

Produced by ATARI, just to point here, some latter itterations for NDS have been publushed by HUDSON SOFT games, which seems, after i saw the label "published by KONAMI", that was something like sub-division company of KONAMI, merged around 2012 to KONAMI Digital Entertainment itself...

1647699554951.jpeg

So as for the game, it is a typical J-RPG, with exception, the battle system is not turned based, or text based, it is REAL TIME action, REAL REAL TIME. You are controling the blades with the D-PAD, doing combos, power ups, etc, and of course due to the RPG element, you level up your character, you customize your beyblade equipment, etc, etc...

It is very good RPG, plus i loved the BEYBLADE anime. Although to be honest, this is based in a latter season of the OG anime, while i've seen only the 1st season, after that i was too old to keep following the series.

Despite this, even if you have seen only the 1st season, you are pretty much good to go, as it follows the series, but the portagonist/hero and the main cast, are almost all the same from season 1.

THe battle screen
1647699803690.jpeg

The inside overworld,
1647699829552.png

Like FF and Chrono Trigger, it has a main overworld, where you navigate to places through paths, and inside every place, there is the top-down overwolrd, where you talk to NPCs, search for hidden items, battle people, and usual things you do in RPGs.

Walkthrough

It is about +15 years , since i had completed this game's story. Played it again yesterday and today. Took me about an hour, just to find out how to Let it Rip!!! :P :D

It is more difficult when i am now a 35 years old-fart..I lost so many battles and blades in the beginning...cause the game is tough, when you loose, you loose your blade+the equipment!!! In a minute, i wondered how the heck did i finished it in the past....Although i am pretty sure, i used a lot SAVE STATE and LOAD STATE, (emulator cheating :P ) back then... Now i am playing it fair, only IN-GAME save+continue, NO SAVE/LOAD STATE cheating! :)

FInally i forgot to mention...THe 1st season OST, which is the same in main menu here and the main battle theme, is one of the most Rock & Roll OSTs , i love it very much!!! :)

Even in MIDI quality, it is AWESOME!!! :BAND:

That's an awesome soundtrack bro!! I love video game instrumental rock from this period!! Sounds like Joe Satriani or DC Slater, those instrumental guitarists which are coincidentally my favorites! :TU:

I know very little of Gameboy Advance, so it will be so interesting to hear and see what other games you can feature!! :BSCARF: Always read great things about them, and in retrogaming world, it is very highly regarded!! :TU: ;)

Loved this game, one of my top 5 N64 games definitely! I used to play so much of WaveRace 64! 🌊

Smooth but challenging gameplay, a relaxing 90's fusion inspired soundtrack, exciting races, just hours and hours of fun! Loved this one, playing it with friends was the most fun! :TU:

Last edited:
Loved this game, one of my top 5 N64 games definitely! I used to play so much of WaveRace 64! 🌊

Smooth but challenging gameplay, a relaxing 90's fusion inspired soundtrack, exciting races, just hours and hours of fun! Loved this one, playing it with friends was the most fun! :TU:

Played it back at the time, at my OG N64. Was a period of time, that i had a youth crash on jet-ski for some reason. After this i was heavily inspired to play the second Mario Kart rip-off, Diddy Kong racing.

I played a lot the Gameboy version and less the N64. Never played the GAMECUBE version, as i did not own a GC. At general GC is my least played console generation, no console and the Dolphin emulator is too tricky for my PCs.

Gameboy

Gamecube

Although Diddy kong is purely fun and arcadey, no sim elements, like WaveRace. Also when i tried to play it again,in my PC in Project64, it was very tricky and with bugs, glitches crashes, cause it was the early days of N64 emulation. And not sure if it was only due to N64 emulator, or my ROM was unstable.

I've been really enjoying the gameplay in this one! With emulation I was able to find this one: Castlevania:Bloodlines! I wasn't even aware that Sega Genesis/MegaDrive had a Castlevania edition! With 2 new characters and a different storyline that I wasn't aware of, the fun factor and ambiance in this edition is off the charts! I loved Super Castlevania 4 and Castlevania X for SNES, so I am really excited to find Bloodlines, which retains a lot of the classic elements and adds a few twists to the stages and overall gameplay! A very solid, often overlooked edition!

It is a very strange dream i had for years, that my cousin was playing Castelvania in Game Gear. After searching and searching, i realised that there is not any port for SEGA Game Gear. But seems there are look-alike games to cover the gap.

My cousin was playing this: Vampire - Master of Darkness

-Is it CASTELVANIA?
-Nope....... :(
-Is it good substitute?
-Decent enough.. :)

That looks pretty interesting @slamsoze I know very little of game gear games, will have to take a look at them, there's a world there to be discovered besides Sonic! That Vampire: Master of Darkness looks like it is definitely worth a shot! ;)

As I told my friend @vialli82 , I now have MAME with thousands of games.. There are so many of them that it is easy to get lost. But I am looking for recommendations bros.. Here are the types of games I am looking for,, Final Fight type, or like Warriors of Fate, or platformers such as Rastan.. Basically action adventure is my favorite type of style of game, both with swords or bare hand combat like Streets of Rage!

I think you guys might understand the type of games I am looking for. (It can be MAME, or even SNES, Genesis).. Any recommendations would be really cool! :TU:

About classics B-T-U like Final Fight/Street of Rage :
You should absolutely try "Cadillacs and Dinausaurs" probably the best rated BTU you may found of all time.
"Golden Axe : The Duel" only on Arcade (that version couldn't be ported on console, i mean technically : it looks like a Comics)
Edit : i don't remember if it's that one or "Golden Axe : The revenge of Death Adder"... One could be a VS game. Try both mate ;)

"Alien vs Predator" is an awesome B-T-U but get a bad port on SNES/Megadrive, same as "Captain America and the Avengers"

Start with one of the from your choice if you want a Beat-them-up... There's so much on MAME that yes, you will be lost.
As i know well Arcade stuffs, there's say i give you some of my "top".

Now another but older action game with figthing in 2D, is a bit more difficult to found. You will get a bigger catalog on console, i give you the one i've found/

"Tiger Road" also about Asia myth and fight older game but it's a great one, same guys who did GNG. Hard but with infinite continue lol
"Ganryu", a great one of that kind, but much modern
"Black Tiger" is a good one too, i think by Capcom too.
also called "Nastar" of course, it's "Rastan II"

I can make a bigger list but little by little lol.

And an extra, a Run'n'gun like Metal Slug, also by SNK (so on Neo Geo) but more serious in the theme "Cyber Lip". Never finished it but it was on my list as it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Yes, it's Golden Axe : the Revenge of Death Adder. The "real" Arcade sequel.
The other one is a VS game.

I suggest to you @millossobek to try arcade version of game you owned on NES, SNES, played on Megadrive etc.
You'll be pretty surprised. Like Yie Ar Kung Fu etc. (i took the older one i remember lol)

Ah, one last B-T-U but less "dark" and more "funny" than the other "Asterix".
You CAN'T pass over it. It's the best representation of the Comics / Anime from that era you will found.
It's super fun, even if you like or not Asterix. On my top 3 BTU easy.

I am trying "Tiger Road" right now!! Lovin it!! I love the Kung Fu theme, and I like the fact that it is kind of like a maze, with high difficulty and lots of enemies! Haha looks like it's going to be a fun Friday evening for sure!!

Also surely I've taken note of the other games you mentioned, which I will be checking out further down the road!!

1648244853329.png

Any more recommendations for these types of games, surely welcome bro!! :TU: ;)

Good old Track n Field and Olympic Games.

Remember having blisters on my fingers as a kid cos of them games. I used to get a duster, wrap it over the d-pad, then hammer it as fast as possible 😂

Just started playing this one recently, Shinobi III, return of the Ninja Master on the Genesis! Makes me want to check out Shinobi I and II on the Master System, very smooth and dynamic gameplay!! Love the backstory behind it, the fun factor, the easy controls and the amazing soundtrack!

With my discovering of more MAME games recently, I've noticed that a lot of 8 bit and 16 bit console games are based on arcades! Of course you have the ones you expect like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Ghouls n Ghosts, Pit Fighter, etc.. But some are more unexpected, like for example Karnov! All throughout, I thought Karnov was a strictly NES game, but now that I have installed MAME, I realized that it is actually based on an arcade! The graphics of course are better than in the NES version, but I've actually found that the gameplay is much more difficult. I loved Karnov as a kid, and now that I have the MAME version, I am sure I am going to enjoy this quite a lot! :TU:

Back
Top Bottom