The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

ISS Deluxe was the best 16-bit football game, right? I mean it's subjective but I believe it's popular opinion for a reason.

I'm looking for best football games for each console like my opinions are ISS Deluxe for SNES & Genesis and WE 2002 for PS1.

5. generation
FM Towns Marty
null
Amiga CD32 - John Barnes European Football, Sensible Soccer
Atari Jaguar - Fever Pitch Soccer, International Sensible Soccer
3DO - V-Goal Soccer 96, J.League Virtual Stadium, FIFA International Soccer
PC-FX null
Sega 32X - FIFA Soccer 96 (only football game)
Sega Saturn - J.League Jikkyou Honoo no Striker, J.Leauge Go Go Goal!, FIFA 96
PlayStation - Winning Eleven 2002
Nintendo 64 - ISS 2000
Apple Pippin null

4. generation
PC Engine
- Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu: PC Soccer Hen, Formation Soccer on J.League, J.League Greatest Eleven
NeoGeo - Super Sidekicks 3
SNES - ISS Deluxe
Genesis - ISS Deluxe
CD-i - Ultra CD-i Soccer
NeoGeo CD - Super Sidekicks 3

3. generation
NES
- Kunio-kun no Nekketsu Soccer League, Nintendo World Cup, Soccer League Winner's Cup, J-League Winning Goal, Konami Hyper Soccer
Sega SG-1000 - Champion Soccer (only football game)
Sega Master System - Tecmo World Cup 93, Sensible Soccer
Atari 7800 null
Atari XEGS null

2. generation
Atari 2600
- RealSports Soccer, International Soccer
Atari 5200 - RealSports Soccer (only football game)

Karnov was one of the game on my list lol, then i remembered it wasn't a Arcade Exclusive.
Like the first CONTRA.... It's pretty difficult as you can't have more than 3 Credits. Great Arcade game, the NES version was a very close to Arcade port.

I recommand you @millossobek to try the Arcade version of Bionic Commando. It's really different from the one on NES, more... Arcade of course. Same machine as GNG and Tiger Road as you can see, and pretty hard like all Capcom games from that time :

Last edited:
Mate @Theshy7 i'm also a big fan of Super Sidekicks. I recommand you the 4 which is a great iteration too.
If i remember well, the 3 is the top of the versions... But i tried the 4, it was harder to play but great experience.

Well, let's say that ISS Deluxe is the more mix between Action/Sim in terms of players representation, stats, "physics" about players and tactics.
I would LOVE a Super Sidekicks more advanced : players appearances where greatly represented, but as an Arcade game (of course) you couldn't see stats or advanced formation etc., and it was easier to score due to the limited minutes for a match and some ultra moves never seen in football.
But it's sure they got stats. I love the physics, passing, pace, etc. it fitted with real football whatsoever.

Sensible soccer type of game is particular, but the best from a longside view and ball physics. I checked the Snes version, i didn't found how to check about players info (again, stats) which was pretty annoying.

Edit: @millossobek "Street of Rage" is an original megadrive stuff : but there was a machine i remember well, where there was +- 8 Megadrive games and you paid for the amount of time you wanted to play. I remember there was different version. The machine is called "Mega-Tech System"
https://segaretro.org/Mega-Tech_System
And there's a game with 2 versions for example "Shadow Dancer". The Megadrive version is exclusive, while the other got many ports

Arcade version / much more like a Shinobi Arcade 2

Megadrive version :

Same for NES game, there's NES version under a machine with 10 games.
Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong NES version, Punch Out same stuff (there's a real Arcade version) etc. : it was on on long screen like for some Shoot-them-up with above, in green, the ranking of points. I never found one machine like that, but i discovered it on MAME. Weirdly, my Mame version even on my Raspberry don't run those game for i don't know which reason / but who cares? Same as MegaTech you can have it on NES Emulator so....

Name is on the link ;) PlayChoice10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayChoice-10

Last edited:
Mate @Theshy7 i'm also a big fan of Super Sidekicks. I recommand you the 4 which is a great iteration too.
If i remember well, the 3 is the top of the versions... But i tried the 4, it was harder to play but great experience.

I don't really like it but I knew it well back in the day. It was one of the two football game in the nearest arcade saloon. There was Super Sidekicks 3 and there was Tecmo World Cup 98. I was drooling over Tecmo World Cup 98 but it was more expensive than Super Sidekicks. I didn't played Super Sidekicks much but watched so many times my elder brother and his friends playing it. I still play and love Tecmo World Cup 98, it's so wild with super powers.

and video title confused me. In wikipedia there are :
  • Super Sidekicks 3: The Next Glory
  • Neo Geo Cup '98: The Road to the Victory (re-make of Super Sidekicks 3)
  • The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship (Despite the title, it is still considered the fourth game in the Super Sidekicks series)
Video title uses words from two games and looks line it's not The Ultimate 11, it's Neo Geo Cup '98: The Road to the Victory. Also what the hell did he do at 00:45. I don't remember that trick, it's wild.

1648756735001.png

@vialli82 Wow, this is cool! I've never heard of this Mega-Tech system, or PlayChoice-10! Although, now that I'm looking at the pics,it does look vaguely familiar, I might have seen it when I was a kid!! I love the concept: chooose 10 games, then play your heart out. I will definitely be checking this out!!

Also, as I loved Bionic Commando on NES, I will for sure enjoy the MAME version. Noted and will check it out as well!!

Very well known game mate ! I told you that i will send some games here and there and not everything at once :

The game name is... TROJAN
Not sure but it seems it has ports of it, perhaps on PC or Amiga or something like that. But sure it's Trojan ;)

Now, one of my first VS game with a classic BTU (i'm used to say Beat'them all lol) as you can goes up and down, but it's like Boss after Boss :
Then you could upgrade your character in Strength/Speed/Stamina etc. after every matches. Number of points depended of how you did well against the opponent.

STREET SMART :

There's also a port on Megadrive, but it's a very rare cartdrige, i never found it anywhere personally. Good port, loved it and very good representation.

Last edited:
That's awesome bro, thanks!! Haha I knew I could count on the retrogaming sensei vialli hahahaha.. Will be checking both of these games out!!

I love the fact that Street Smart is a VS game, but with up and down movement like a BTU! :TU: Actually VS games aren't my favorite genre (except for Samurai Shodown, which I love!), I prefer BTU and platformers, but this is a cool design. Very unique! :)

Last edited:
Sunset Riders definitely looks like a fun game! I didn't play it as a kid but I just recently discovered it through MAME, will try it soon!

There aren't too many cowboy themed video games, but here's another one I can think of, which I actually played a lot!! Gunsmoke for NES! I remember there was a video game rental store close to my house, and I rented this one like 4 times straight! Very fun game. :)

Try Gun Smoke on Arcade version (there's 3 buttons, more combination of shoot).
You will struggle just to pass the first stage. It's one level harder than GNG.

@Isslander i was like you when i was younger : tons of games i through the same "Now they can't make better graphisms than this" lol.
We were so wrong, and to us the future should have been a game as smooth as a movie (but in 2D).
Never, at that time, i was thinkin that the future should be 3D games/stuffs based on movies special effects. Neither we ever imagined one second an higher resolution of TV and how it would have overally changed the graphisms.

But i think devs and all people related to technology knows at the time that it was the future of gaming, movies etc., just that it was too expensive so they got no idea how to reproduce it, with a machine/console at the same cost as a SNES etc., on a video game.
Then Sega Virtua stuffs. And Sony sorted out their PS (less powerful with a lesser resolution and FPS but with more stuff for texture than the machine for Virtua Racing for example) then 3D evolved step by step.

It wasn't beautiful but the animation was so impressive that we forgot the rest.

BUT Still : a lot of 2D games very very impressive (Rayman, the last Ghost'n'Goblin's) and tons of indies/semi indies games. Fortunately for us who grown with those type of gameplay.

Edit: Also, super fan of Sunset Riders. I've made it both on SNES and Arcade. On of my two favourite run'n'gun game with Metal Slug i discovered a bit later on Arcade too.

Haha, I know I posted these games here before but.. Just in case any of you guys know of a translation to these Sumo games, Tsuppari Oozumou for the NES, and Ahh! Harimanada for the Mega Drive that would be cool. :)

I'm a sumo fan and would love to finally be able to play these in retrogaming! I think the whole ceremony and tradition is so cool, also the actual matches themselves I would love to play these games with full immersion. :TU:

Last edited:
Here are 2 more!

Tsuppari Oozumou: Risshin Sussehen which is the SNES sequel, and Wakataka Oozumou, also for the SNES, Let me know if you find any translations bros! :TU:

@vialli82 Funnily enough bro, I've never been a fan of those "movie like" games, I mean the graphics look impressive and everything, but I feel something's missing in these games. (Outside of strategy and some others, which I still enjoy). To me the magic of 2D gaming is still what I find most entertaining. :) Maybe it's just personal preference hehe.. Anyway back on topic...!

Continuing on with the arcade classics, I've been really enjoying this one on MAME recently! Magic Sword! The gameplay is intense and fun, it's pretty much play start and go, and it is very easy to pick up! You have to climb a very high tower, and new rooms and floors bring all kinds of enemies. A nice touch is that you set free different types of companions, like a Wizard, a Ninja, Archer, even a kind of Ogre, and they help you along with their weapons. Also something noteworthy is the sheer number and variety of enemies all throughout. An enjoyable one right here! :TU:

Last edited:
Ok , now i am not sure where to place this.. It is my oldest memory, i remember watching my dad playing it in his Apple Macintosh, the version after Lisa, and i started playing when i grew up in stage to understand how to play games.

220px-Computer_macintosh_128k%2C_1984_%28all_about_Apple_onlus%29.jpg

blBut i am confused, after making research all those years, every time i recal it, and i find that Mac was the original port, but there are ports for Commodore,for Sega Genesis, for Amiga, just gets confusing,but from what i understand, the Macintosh port was the primogenitor.

And the name was " BEYOND DARK CASTLE"

1649592407789.jpeg
Well an old platform game, a lot vibes of Castelvania, of course it's older than Castelvania, very atmospheric for that age, very difficult, I can't define how revolutionary or inovative it was, cause the only games i had played until then, were Pong for Atari, Tetris of Gameboy and the Tiger Arcade Handhelds with fake clone games.
1649592365422.jpeg

So it was a new but completely next level gaming experience,for years i considered it the most realistic video game I've played, graphics, sound and gameplay wise.

For what i remember clear, it was very difficult game, not forgiving any mistakes.

Now if someone else knows about it, i remember latter my father playing a coloured version in his Power Macintosh. But my memory stops there. :)

Just to add here some extra info: My father was a Prodigy in his job, so he was using Macintosh computers since 1989, so i played a lot top quality games in my early childhood, despite the game Library of Apple was very, very limited.

I remember in my city, playing 3D war-flight simulators, when the average people, could only play Solitaire and draw in MS Paint in a Windows 3.11 PC, after typing the MS-DOS commands, to login into the software!!! :) :P
I was kind of "lucky"!!! :D
OF COURSE after Windows 95, and with a tone of catalogue of games for Windows in became mainstream to play games in Windows PC!!

And as my father always used to say, Macintosh is for serious business and jobs, gaming in Apple PC is the extra cherry on the cake :)

That's not what i said about "Like Movie" at all bro, i don't talk about the digitalised sprite @millossobek , i only like it on Mortal Kombat as it looked pretty natural. Also Pit Fighter Arcade, the first with that system (but the animations didn't matched with MK)
We played it as it was still a very fun Beat-them-up, on Megadrive it was a cool game but sprite were reduced by 75% lol

To us it was just the same as before, but with digitalised sprite ;)

But we imagined that in the future, games will really looking like a movie you play on (but not with the 3D we know, more like real images)
It's hard to conceive or explain. Well, we were approximatively right as 3D games can be played like if you're in a movie, but without the facial expression looking "real" so...
The only game/demo that could explain what we imaginated, is the recent MATRIX demo (if you didn't see it, just check, it's super impressive even if you're more in a "retro" phase lol, just to see how real UE5 can look like)...

That's, in fact, exactly what we imaginated how games should be, but in 25fps and without HD lol.

Ok , now i am not sure where to place this.. It is my oldest memory, i remember watching my dad playing it in his Apple Macintosh, the version after Lisa, and i started playing when i grew up in stage to understand how to play games.

220px-Computer_macintosh_128k%2C_1984_%28all_about_Apple_onlus%29.jpg

blBut i am confused, after making research all those years, every time i recal it, and i find that Mac was the original port, but there are ports for Commodore,for Sega Genesis, for Amiga, just gets confusing,but from what i understand, the Macintosh port was the primogenitor.

And the name was " BEYOND DARK CASTLE"

View attachment 155073
Well an old platform game, a lot vibes of Castelvania, of course it's older than Castelvania, very atmospheric for that age, very difficult, I can't define how revolutionary or inovative it was, cause the only games i had played until then, were Pong for Atari, Tetris of Gameboy and the Tiger Arcade Handhelds with fake clone games.
View attachment 155072

So it was a new but completely next level gaming experience,for years i considered it the most realistic video game I've played, graphics, sound and gameplay wise.

For what i remember clear, it was very difficult game, not forgiving any mistakes.

Now if someone else knows about it, i remember latter my father playing a coloured version in his Power Macintosh. But my memory stops there. :)

Just to add here some extra info: My father was a Prodigy in his job, so he was using Macintosh computers since 1989, so i played a lot top quality games in my early childhood, despite the game Library of Apple was very, very limited.

I remember in my city, playing 3D war-flight simulators, when the average people, could only play Solitaire and draw in MS Paint in a Windows 3.11 PC, after typing the MS-DOS commands, to login into the software!!! :) :P
I was kind of "lucky"!!! :D
OF COURSE after Windows 95, and with a tone of catalogue of games for Windows in became mainstream to play games in Windows PC!!

And as my father always used to say, Macintosh is for serious business and jobs, gaming in Apple PC is the extra cherry on the cake :)
Cool to read about Mac, that's a world I barely know about. The Beyond Dark Castle game seems really nice indeed, even tho the slaver whipping the guys chained at the wall feels a bit unnerving :D
I played with Tiger Handhelds as well. The "covers" were probably more artistic than the games themselves lol, but iirc they were like the first "video games" I truly owned, so they felt magic all the same at the times. We already talked about those here in this thread? Can't remember.

Anyway, have like an abudance of retro-pc stories, maybe more than consoles. I was almost tempted to open another thread to not divert too much this one. Or maybe this should become the general retro-gaming thread? What do you guys think :) ?

@vialli82 Oh ok now I think I understand 100% what you mean my friend. :) Kind of how we imagined games to be when we were little kids, with the facial expressions and everything! :TU:

@slamsoze Beyond Dark Castle looks amazingly hard! Kind of like a crazy Castlevania/Prince of Persia combination! :LOL: Man if one thing I can say about retrogaming, is that these games were difficult! What a cool story behind it, too!

@Madmac79 Hey man! We have included some PC games here in the past bro! For example, Red Baron, F-15 Strike Eagle, and others! So I think it's totally cool to include PC games here if they are in the spirit of retrogaming! Go ahead and include your PC stories here bro! :TU:

Speaking of PC games, here's one of my favorites growing up: Sierra's King's Quest VI, heir today, gone tomorrow! I always liked these "point and click" Sierra Games from the 90's, and I this one was my favorite since it had a very cool environment, in an Arabic style world, with a very cool story! :TU:

No prob, it's still Retro Gaming! We already talked about Atari ST, Amiga, Dos games so why not?
I played only on my uncle and cousin, some friends who got a PC, i know some old games but i'm very limited in acknowledge.

If we could discover some DOS games or whatever, it will be pretty cool too.

Edit: The game you posted is impressive.
PC was really the king of point'n'click games with awesome stories.
I don't know that game even from name, but pretty impressed by the mouth animation while talking : it's pretty rare to have such details like that which is pretty hard to reproduce (first time i see a game from that era with lip-sync so well done)

Last edited:
No prob, it's still Retro Gaming! We already talked about Atari ST, Amiga, Dos games so why not?
I played only on my uncle and cousin, some friends who got a PC, i know some old games but i'm very limited in acknowledge.

If we could discover some DOS games or whatever, it will be pretty cool too.

Edit: The game you posted is impressive.
PC was really the king of point'n'click games with awesome stories.
I don't know that game even from name, but pretty impressed by the mouth animation while talking : it's pretty rare to have such details like that which is pretty hard to reproduce (first time i see a game from that era with lip-sync so well done)
Yes! I was actually very impressed with that too when I saw the intro when I was a kid. I thought when I saw the sprites mouths move: "wow..... this is the future of video game graphics!" :LOL:

What other point n click games did you guys enjoy??

Last edited:
Like i said, the one who were in PSX : Broken Sword 1 and 2, but Discworld is my favourite of all time (even if i didn't make the Discword 2 and Discworld : Noir)
Everytime i start, i'm far, then i stop for i don't know what reason. But the English humor from that game is superb.

I'll post Broken Sword 1 as i believe everyone knows Discworld better:

Now, not a poin't n'click but some type of Q/A games i was in love with : Crash Garrett on Amiga (Also tried a bit Carmen Sandiego series but i'm quickly annoyed as there's no real story". Don't remember if there was point and click system, but it was you to talk (anything you want), there wasn't questions with multiple choice.

Crash Garrett It looked like a Comics from the 50's or 60's, and pretty adult (you can be killed by murder etc. There was a big tension and a great story)
I played it on Amiga, there's probably others ports :

Last edited:
@Madmac79 no problem mate. I assume all those old games & stories in the same category.

@millossobek i was ready to mention Discworld and Discworld Noir, but @vialli82 got it first!!! :P

I had a cousin who was crazy for that point and click adventure games, Monkey Island, King's Quest, Discworld, etc...

To be honest, this genre was not my favourite, but i used to play them, just for the astonishing graphics, details, and overworld design, it was like reading a good cartoon-quality comic book.

Same, i was more about watching a comic book or whatever else, Anime etc. it's not my favourite PC style.
But the Crash Garrett style is more interesting and "PC only", the issue is it's too rare.

I just remember a game like this from a VERY long time, playing on the PC from a friend. Don't remember the name,. But same system, you got to give consign for what to do. But it wasn't with dialog, just description of every pictures like "There's a cow blocking your path, it's dangerous. Behind there's a "X item". That's probably the only game i don't think to remember the name of it.

It was translated in french. I doubt it's an "indie" game, it was too advanced for it.

I was in love with point and click adventures for a good portion of my early gaming life. This game:

was among the reasons I was drooling to have a pc. Played it at my two cousin's house who used to have a good one - was hooked on the get go, the idea of practically playing a movie in first person (an horror one nonetheless!) felt so damn captivating. Now that I think about it those afternoons visiting them (unfortunately not so frequent, we both lived in the same city oc but were quite far - Rome is really big and not easy to navigate, especially cause my mom never learned to drive and my father being busy as he was rarely if ever drove me there, so while for a period we might have been able to se each other more often, for others we remained long without meeting; sorry for the little familiar anecdote lol) at their house were super influential for me as a gamer; but maybe I'll save it for another post.

Regarding the game, another Sierra classic, of course. Thanks to the mole of footage it came in 6 cds, and you moved your character in a pre-rendered photorealistic environment. Of course it was as limitated as an interactive movie could be, possibly more than the traditional point and click 2d games, and some puzzles were practically impossible without knowing the solution beforehand (there was one right at the end of the first cd in which you had to compose a very specific phrase with the recordings of the dialogues you had before to trick somebody to open you a gate.. I passed that point thanks to my cousins telling me after they read it on a vg magazine, otherwise no idea how the heck you could deduct on your own something like this lol), so always remembering that at the time there wasn't internet to help, you'd spent a good frustrating time going around locations trying to find out what to do. That said atmosphere was fantastic; the fictitious town and the various environments really well made and full of charisma, the story interesting and the cast good enough for a videogame, perhaps one day I might take it again and finish it (arrived at the third or fourth cd at the times iirc).

I was so crazy with interactive movies and "realism" at the times that I also had these two.
The more famous Phantasmagoria (2):

And this, surely less known:

First one was more of a classic adventure, but I have the impression the good one is the first I haven't played.. never captured my attention and it has the reputation of a joke more or less. The second was a mesh between adventure and on railing shooter on pre rendered footage and it was also quite mediocre. Also had Police Quest on this same vein:

but meh.. as for Phantasmagoria, I think the good one were the previous in classic 2d I, again, never played.

Some SCUMM ones I played later in my life. Liked a lot Monkey Island (first one I played was the third, courtesy, again, of my cousin, then in the years later the first two), but my true love wil always be without doubt:

man can't put in words the feeling this game gives me even looking at the after all this years. The humour, the puzzles, the dialogue, the general vibe.. loved it to death an I'm not even this incredible fan of the movies.

By the way, after I exhausted that period, I couldn't really play point and click anymore like, at all. In the years I tried modern ones once in a while.. but it never, ehrm, clicked again.

NES' Kid Icarus is one of those games that I heard about a lot but never played as a kid, but I heard so much about how difficult it is! Picked up my emulator recently and gave this a try, it's crazy! At first the game seems pretty straightforward but the sheer number of challenges, from the number of enemies to the different traps and precipices you can fall into, takes a lot of patience! Sometimes a bit frustrating, but fun to play, I now understand why it is considered a classic by many. If only I could get past some levels, haha time to check it out again. :LOL:

I had Kid Icarus on the Nes! Agree, it was so hard to play. The fact you had to advance by climbing up instead of going horizontally like most platforms made it really peculiar.

I just want to pop in and say I love this thread . It has taken me back years and I've lost hours checking youtube videos from my childhood (well, during work time so not really "lost").

My parents used to buy us those 200-in-1 cartridges for the NES. A bunch of the games were repeats with just a different color but I'm now looking for my favorite ones.

On another note, I've been trying to find a game for PC that I really enjoyed being a kid. It was kind of a biplane platform game (set in a red baron type of scenery). You started just popping balloons but then other biplanes started coming and you had to shoot them. Kind of a sidescroller but when you moved to one side of the screen you would just appear on the other side... If this sounds familiar please let me know the name

My parents used to buy us those 200-in-1 cartridges for the NES. A bunch of the games were repeats with just a different color but I'm now looking for my favorite ones.
I used to have the famicom 31-in-1 with adapter for NES! And then others came out 100 in 1, 200 in 1 etc!

1650067936512.png

So many underrated early games in those compilations!! I will post them little by little, but for now I will post one of my favorites! This game had no ending you could just keep going and going, early fighitng style, but quite fun! :LOL: URBAN CHAMPION

I used to have the famicom 31-in-1 with adapter for NES! And then others came out 100 in 1, 200 in 1 etc!

View attachment 156316

So many underrated early games in those compilations!! I will post them little by little, but for now I will post one of my favorites! This game had no ending you could just keep going and going, early fighitng style, but quite fun! :LOL: URBAN CHAMPION

Urban champion. The original street fighter.
One of those cartridges had a strip blackjack nes game. My brother and I won and were jumping just as the 8bit drawing took her top off. It was very anti climatic to say the least... Them graphics back then

San andresito for the 150 in 1 :BOP:no?

Back
Top Bottom