The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Sorry for the post, looks like the Retro Pes corner. I'll remedy by asking something I've been wanting since some time; what's you guys opinion about Street Fighter 2 EX? I have no idea if purists hate these games, where polygons replaced beloved sprite. I remember I bought it for Psx at the times and having very good fun even if it was so different from the originals. It was also the first SF I owned with those special "special" moves. Hitting this Shoryuken (1:55):
I never played Street Fighter 2 Ex, really heard about it though.. Not really qualified to give an opinion since I didn't play it but.. I think it looks quite fun! I think as long as the gameplay of the series is maintained, polygon or not is not really an issue! Will probably give a more complete opinion once I play it. :)

I was a massive SF2 Turbo player with the 12 characters, the regular 8 + Balrog, Vega, Sagat, and M. Bison (must've played like 10 thousand hours or something haha). I think that one was the best out of the SNES ones, even better than Super Street Fighter tbh.. Turbo had more balance than Super Street, for example in SSF2, they made Guile too weak compared to other characters, etc.. Also one thing I liked about Turbo was playing with 4 star speed.. 3 Speed in SSF2 seemed a little slow to me.. :LOL:

But the one game that I think is MASSIVELY underrated is Street Fighter Alpha Zero 3 for various paltforms (I mainly played it for Neo Geo), it had so many new characters and it was so fun to play. I liked the fact that it had the super specials, the different fighting styles and I thought the less serious more "manga" cartoony look to it was really cool and a breath of fresh air! A very underrated installment for sure! ;)

Here is a run with my favorite SF character of all time, Blanka! :TU::GSCARF:

Last edited:
Never been SF Alpha : just because i knowed it just by name and was sick of Street Fighter lol. Bad. As the game was good (a bit closer to SF3, well SF3 is THE most accurate SF i tried : well it plays like a KOF a bit so i preferred it lol)
BUT i played a lot on Arcade to Marvel vs Capcom (corrected) and a bit Street fighter vs Capcom.

Now, the game i played the most on single, when there was 3D everywhere :

PSX Version
Capcom vs SNK Millenium Fight 2000 (PS1/Saturn/Arcade)

... But well, the version i played the most was the Dreamcast, seems a sequel version but overall looking similar but it's a sequel ("PRO"). More character and levels, overall different to play etc., i think ending is the same Vs Geese Howard... Needs to watch the vid but not envy

I got the 2001 version on PS2, but it's less plug'n'play, different modes, characters, moves etc. needs learning.

Capcom vs Snk Millenium Fight Pro 2000 (Dreamcast/Arcade)

One thing about SNK VS Capcom 2000.
>There's two "Groove", i'll explain what does it mean as i'm finally happy i've learned it after 20 years practically 🤣

Firstly there's two "groove" before starting : SNK or Capcom. It change the character design on presentation. That's what i know.
And secondary, if you choose SNK groove you will got Geese Howard as final boss, and Capcom Mr Bison... That i never fight on Dreamcast as i always selected SNK groove like a dumb :(

But Geese Howard is like on KOF : a pain in the ass with his Aikido move. So hard to master in game, but i'm sure if you train with him, you'll become almost invincible.
A bit like Aikido, hard to learn, and you got to have a very high status before being "strong", but when you are, you're untouchable :)

Now a bit of PSone love :
3 fighting game and one which is considered as the most underrated and some put it on part with Tekken and Bloody Roar : Tobal.
I will only post the first versions, even if Tobal 2 is better and more beautiful, never player Rival Schools 2 but beautiful too without squared polygon like Tobal 2. It's a weird case, the sequel was always better than the first on Fighting PSX game. Not the same for KOF as an example.

Tobal and Rival Schools are arcade playable i think, perhaps not Ehrgeiz...

Ehrgeiz : God Bless The Ring (PSX) / with Cloud from Final Fantasy, the most known on PSX (never been a fan so numbers...)

Rival Schools 1 (PSX)

Tobal No 1:
Note : design by Akira Toryama (DBZ)

PSX had so many good fighting games, I remember Rival Schools a lot as well, Tobal looks really cool (never played it!), looks interesting and will probably check it out soon. One of the good things about it is that even if the pace is slower, it looks very fun and realistic in a way.. I think it's a challenge to make a slower fighting game fun, but when they pull it off with the pacing then it's good!

Speaking of the SNK vs Capcom "war", I always played Street Fighter more than KOF growing up, I think a lot of it had to do with popularity and availability at the time.. But as time has passed and I've been able to check out KOF, I've noticed that there are several things about KOF that I probably like more than Street Fighter. For example, the manga feel to it, the humor attached to it, the rock-oriented soundtracks, the team element, quirky characters etc.. SF will always be the benchmark classic and the giant in 2D fighting games, I played endless hours of it and still enjoy it a lot, but lately KOF has been capturing more my attention for the reasons above! I also think SF Alpha Zero 3 has some similar manga elements to KOF, also the voices are more "animated" and funny like in KOF, more like a cartoon that's probably why I like it so much! KOF has all these elements, its characters are not so "serious" and the whole series has kind of a wacky, kind of chaotic and urban, more "crazy" energetic aspect to it which I find very refreshing, maybe it's the character design, the music, move list, pretty much a combination of everything!

Here is a longplay with one of my favorite teams, team Korea, in arcade!

Last edited:
Speaking of fighting games, my fav would be Bloody Roar 2 & Tekken 3. Tekken 3 is well-known popular, but i rarely see people mention Bloody Roar 2.

Never played the first one but BR2 Imo, it's great game. Good controls, Good Story Mode, Godly soundtrack and graphic looks good compare to BR1.

I remember back then doing combo, just smesh them buttons, lol. Either way, great game, if you never play it, try it.

I heard the 4th installment was failure and the studio that made the game got bought by Konami 🥴. Well knowing Konami these days i dont think BR could make a comeback but if Suikoden can get remaster release, who knows this game might find the light someday.

I didn't posted them bro as they were already posted, But I love Bloody Roar 1 and 2, the 3 on PS2 same : It's a game that would have been rebooted instead of Killer Instinct : less based on super combo and more natural to play. And Tekken is my favourite 3D franchise... Even if was meh for the 5 and didn't liked the 6, but i own the 7 and it's an awesome version + the story is even more.

What i've posted above was "forgotten/underrated games". I should have posted the version 2, Tobal 2 is more complete, and they're using the "don't remember effect" to rely to polygons (not like Virtua Fighter 2, Tekken 2 too)

Tobal 2 (Arcade/PSX)

In fact, about "more realistic/strategic/less super fireball moves) : it's what the/we (as i am one of it) the Fighting game as "Gameplay 2D" and "Gameplay 3D". I'll explain even if you probably know it.
It's not because the game is in 3D only : I tried SF EX 3 on PS2 : it's a totally 2D gameplay, same as the reboot on SF4 and 5, i played the 4 a lot as it was as responsive as SF2 and 3.
But about reboot i'm way more MK reboot since the 9 : i love the totally different approach more based speed/timing and a bit rigid but on purpose. What they acheved with that comeback is Outstanding (fans wil recognise :D )
MK4 was a 2D gameplay with the possibility to turn around your opponent. Fun but MK in old 3D... Meh

It's in fact Virtua Fighter bring a new approach regarding 3D fighting game like a Martial Arts semi-simulation.
It's more technical/close/counter while you trap someone doing a kick and reverse to your advantage like in real fights.
Closer combat, etc., realistic but not less fun for it. Well depending the game, i was more 3D fighting style than 2D during a moment. Probably played too much 2D style haha.
Now, it's only depending on the game : i don't care really.

Back to Tekken : controller in hands i looks easy to do as you want as every combination button results in a move (even a simple forward + left punch as example) as the variety is gigant regarding the number of blow you can do.
The game was built for debutant aswell as for advanced Tekken fans. But well advanced will always get the advantage of course.

It's my favourite 3D style series... Well, i didn't liked that much the 5 and 6 but i own the 7 which is really an improvement in my eyes.

Virtua Fighter 2 on Megadrive reproduced very well the 3D gameplay, except you can move around you adversary, it was pretty well reproduced for a simple Megadrive : 3D gameplay overall. turn around you adversary. I'll post it just to show something "unique" in his kind. There's also Tekken in GBA through.
I was in love with Virtua fighter 2, then i liked the 3 more or less, but since the 4 it's less fun, you feel less blow impact, and it's kinda reserved to an elite of Virtua Fighter gamers : kinda opposite to Tekken. Pro said it : you want to be strong for VS human? Select 1 character and learn everything, train with him etc. or 2 character max. I know we got all a favourite character but that one forced you to found and work only one character : which is not fun and repetitive. And Figthing game are nothing like football online : it's much fun in all ways to play vs human/online or not, than vs CPU.

Virtua Fighter 2 (Arcade/Saturn/Megadrive/PS2 "Sega Classics")
Note: the Saturn version was ultra close to arcade version and in High Definition (4:3 but still), very rare from the time.

Megadrive version posted

Talk about off-the wall ideas that work well, I'm really enjoying the challenge of Cool Spot! Never knew playing a 7-up character could be so fun. I started playing this one recently, thinking it would be a "relaxing" experience but when I start playing I start realizing this is a pretty difficult game! :LOL: But really enjoying it. I think what I love most about this game though is how random the idea is! Sure! Let's release a game with the 7-up character (who I remember was pretty popular back in the day but never thought a video game would come from it!) Let's make him shoot soda sprinkles and face all kind of random enemies like crabs and jumping teeth. I think that's hilariously cool. :LOL: Just another showing of how random and great retrogaming is. Here is post my favorite port of the game, the SNES version (in which our famous Cool Spot character is a bit faster than the Mega Drive Version).

Talk about off-the wall ideas that work well, I'm really enjoying the challenge of Cool Spot! Never knew playing a 7-up character could be so fun. I started playing this one recently, thinking it would be a "relaxing" experience but when I start playing I start realizing this is a pretty difficult game! :LOL: But really enjoying it. I think what I love most about this game though is how random the idea is! Sure! Let's release a game with the 7-up character (who I remember was pretty popular back in the day but never thought a video game would come from it!) Let's make him shoot soda sprinkles and face all kind of random enemies like crabs and jumping teeth. I think that's hilariously cool. :LOL: Just another showing of how random and great retrogaming is. Here is post my favorite port of the game, the SNES version (in which our famous Cool Spot character is a bit faster than the Mega Drive Version).

Well I've played this game a lot of times, but the Genesis version.

The SNES version here, doing the comparison by videos, if it's not something up to emulation filters, looks much smoother, with warmer colors.

Probably SEGA did again the futuristic mambo-jumbo, cause their version tries to be more 3D but ends up, like bad reflections of metal, and a lot pixelated sprites.

Maybe they can try again today, with HD and ray-tracing!!!! :P :P 😜

Well watching the video now, i realized how wrong i was playing this game all the time.

Check this video below in stage 1, minute: 01:10, how ois this guy playing. I had never even imagined, that you could do such things with balloons!! :D

Last edited:
The best emulator right now for Dreamcast is Reicast i think. But you need to pay for the full version.
I never got issue with that game.
Otherwhise, i never played Cool Spot, don't ask me why. There was also Zool, the insect ninja which was fun coming from Amiga (best version is on Amiga CD 32).

I also got a Saturn Emulator, weirdly running super good on my PC when it's one of the hardest console with the N64 to Emulate, here's two games to discover. One i just saw but didn't played, the second i finished it. As good as Shinobi 3.

Some Saturn love then. They've got a big catalog, i was surprised about it.

The real name is Saturn Victory Goal, but i prefers to show the less known version with J-LEAGUE Victory goal 97' on it and some improvement.
Note : the guy change the cam at 10:50
Looks pretty decent for a football game, sincerely

Now, one game i falled in love with, the amount of possibles moves is uncountable.
Just check a bit of the vids, in diagonal, you'll understand.

Shinobi X also called Shinobi Legions

Ah yes, @slamsoze you should try Sonic Adventures on Dreamcast, very fun and free even for now. I took the DX for my PS3 but didn't installed yet, like tons of games i DDL lol... And Virtua Tennis 1 and 2 😁

The better Dreamcast emulator is "Reicast", but there's a paid version now so i suppose they removed stuffs like filters etc. (well you can found the full version by checking better)
Otherwhise i love to run on Crazy Taxi, it's super fun, but i don't like to do the missions 😂

Guys, I've been trying to get a Turbografx/PC Engine emulator for my laptop, but I can't seem to find a working one.. Would like to check out the library of games, even though it's not huge, they seem to have games that really suit my taste! Could anyone recommend me a good easy to use emulator for this console? Thanks. :TU:

Last edited:
Got 2, one was paid at the time, and the other was but supposed to be easy to configure and working on very old machine.
They aren't that new lol, but it should be working like a charm on your PC.

1st most known is Ootake, free
2nd is Magic Engine (paid normally, but i given some penny at the time) supposed to be the best.

Don't remember the differences between those 2 emulator.

Will upload it bro with the roms on it (but not the CD one lol, there's +- 30 gigas of bin/cue 🤣)

NOTE/ Posted on the wrong "Retro" Thread 😅

Now for CD, check the catalog, here an example as i've searched Art of Fighting (Ryukoo No Ken / Pc Engine CD > you can see it on the pocket)
There's also Fatal Fury Special, World Heroes 2, Street Fighter 1 (lol) etc.

You can ddl Art of Fighting here and others games if you put the name on it, simple.
https://cdromance.com/?s=art+of+fighting

Listing of PC Engine CD games by pictures https://www.video-games-museum.com/en/sys/45-pc-engine-cd/2/all
Listing by Name : https://gamicus.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_PC-Engine_CD-ROM²_video_games

You'll see games like Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting etc.
I don't know or own all CD games, but i was some days ago curious about it, and want to try some Arcade ports and originals games from that CD version.

... I kept one single iso from a game you like on the pack (not the ones mentionned) and check how it works : it's on the subfolder MagicEngine.
Magic Engine could read CD, Ootaake i don't think.

Here's the link. The roms are the same in the 2 Emulators, don't know if it's complete but i think yes (playable games, no japanese strategy, RPG without translations, or Mahjong games)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h096ky588yld5hn/2.+Pc+Engine.rar/file

Just discovered one game as River City Ransom with better graphism are on PC Engine CD, but untranslated and i found this compilation, out in 2020, where that version is translated officially :

"Double dragon kunio kun retro brawler bundle"

18 games based on Double Dragon / Kunio-Kun most of them are B-T-A (Brawler) or VS games. And some volley games i saw, but all funs. Kunio games were all fun, whatever the theme.

I want if for the collection, but too expensive... Will try to found a key, as there's many exclusives not already translated in English BUT yes, in that game :
Mostly the reason why i want it 🥰

Edit: many Kunio-Kun fighting version are in Japanese. That's what's make that compilation very interesting because no, you can't have all those game translated on your PC emulated.
I want the PC engine one (the best from what i read is out the "PC gamer for rich retro" Sharp X68000. No idea if he's on the package, but the PC Engine CD is.

Out on PS4 and Switch only >

Last edited:
Man, this compilation looks amazing! As a HUGE fan of Kunio Kun (and it's SNES counterpart, lesser known but still good), and also Double Dragon (especially 2 and 3), this compilation friggin rocks! Too bad I'm strictly a PC gamer.. But maybe who knows one day a translation might come out! I also remember the Super Dodgeball game, I played the American version which substituted some players but was essentially the same game! I haven't tried the football one, that one looks interesting!

The SNES Super Kunio Kun I played was called "Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun" which I posted here before, really loved this one..

But guess what guys! I just found another one that I never played before! "Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunip-tachi no Banka". This one I'll be checking out very soon! It is translated as well! This might interest @crustcyb as well!

And of course here is the arcade version which @crustcyb posted a while back as well! "Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun" playable on MAME! I'm pretty sure this is the one that started it all, this one has all the makings of a classic. I believe this is related to "Renegade", or a Japanese remake that is very similar which was posted by @vialli82

Man the Kunio Universe is replete with great games :TU:

Last edited:
Yes that SNES version is the sequel, and a very good game (especially if you understand Kunio-Kun references)

In fact when you think about it, the real mascot from SNES should be Kunio Kun as there's tons of games with him on it lol.
The Dodgeball was awesome, i remember well, didn't owned a snes but a guy got many Kunio games. There's also a Volley-ball, Basket, even Football : the guy from "World Cup" is him etc.

Just by curiosity, the PC Engine/TG16 version of Kunio-Kun and the "i don't know the name of that shit" (to me it's just Kunio-Kun lol)

There's also a remake version on GBA if you want a version with better graphisms : River City Ransom EX. Very pretty, when we told people that good mechanics don't need to be changed :

NOTE / That version got a very good XBZ filter on it. But it was as good to watch on a real GBA ;)

.... Well i prefers PC Engine/just NES design more colored. But the GBA even revamped graphisms did not a bad job.

For UMK3 fans, they finally made a complete version called UMK3 Deluxe with all missing stages (we've been waiting for "The Graveyard" stage since forever) with one or two character created from scratch (one scorpion's like) and also you unlock every cheats code in game by just pushing some buttons except start / the button to enter on it of course.

The genesis version got also a very good version which get closer to Arcade (simply named UMK3 : Arcade edition), there's things in more and others in less.
Like the cutscenes starting presentation. But even from a digitalised game, it's not that ugly as i think regarding digitalised colours never really fitted with Megadrive but they corrected it the best they could, and it seems that on Megadrive sprite are a bit bigger... For no reason except the cost price, the MD version was 24 MB while the Snes got 32 MB.... And even with that : Megadrive original version got more stages lol. Colors + digitalisation tooks a lot of memory it seems.

Back to the Hacks :
On Snes version they shows IDELS is the new (Hidden) character which got practically all the special trows from Sub Zero, Rain, Noob Saibot. It was normally CHAMELEON but they decided to change it with others moves than that other hidden player not appearing in 16 bits versions.
A bit like Smoke in MK1, who got both Scorpion/Sub-Zero moves. The character in game doesn't looks that weird and more dark colors... Don't know, Youtube + no filters etc.
It's compatible with a real Snes, the cartdrige is 64MB ; we got to know that mostly, hacks are made for emulations with one or two exception (16/9 mode playable only with Bsnes emulator. But too complicated to make it run... I prefers to stay on 4:3 lol)
So you can add it to your Everdrive, that cartdrige with an SD card on it ;)

Better than words a small look about it, as i discovered the very last "Deluxe" version. Previous ones weren't that complete.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat Deluxe (Snes) (Note : IDELS gameplay )
Some info regarding moves here : https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5025/

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Arcade Edition / Megadrive

Its not that bad as you think regarding the comparison, and very playable, seems for X reason i got the feeling the reaction time are faster on Megadrive, and the 6 button pad better adapted (i got both so i switch depending the console lol)

Final note: my favourite version is MK TRILOGY on PSX but i like to play on 16 bits console too. Normally the Arcade vesion is a +- 64 bits game if you don't know.

There's at least 3 colors hacks. That one is ok except the pixels when you choose your character, the other don't got it but colors seems a bit too warm.

Conclusion : both are good and very enjoyable to retry with everything enhanced :)
Link here for the 2 versions https://www.mediafire.com/file/rkh5ei9pxzfnxap/UMK3+hack+consoles.rar/file

Last edited:
As i tried River City ransom, Double Dragon, others BTA, i've made a conclusion :

Double Dragon, and even older it got more skills than some Capcom BTA like Final Fight/Cadillacs and dinausaurs... Well it's not better for it as strike (only puch for those games) were better balanced and with a better distance, different to play.

BUT:
River City Ransom got like twice the possibility to strike with run, jump with kick or punch etc. than Double Dragon, it's probably one of the richest BTA you will never play. + the RPG elements to grow your characters or win skills...
I discovered it not so long ago to be honest, and replaying it i was VERY impressed.
It's the best NES games i never played to be honest. Even without the nostalgia : there's tons of elements which probably insipired future BTA.

-Every opponent got a name, and they said some lines when you touch them, it's dynamic.
+They reappears in the game with a "revenge" line lol, pretty fun.
-The number of skills is incredible. The only issue is that whe you push A+B, you got to push again one of the two button. It's valid for the real NES game, but on my new Batocera/Retroarch you can assign a button for A+B, and believe me it's much more fun like this.
-RPG stats for Speed, endurance (number of punch you get before getting down) and all the others are a big + and you can feel it when you make your player grown.

One thing seems the same, it's the number of weapons to take, not really important for me. But for example, you can run with a barrel to trow it faster and stronger. Level are more like "on town" but it's much much longer to finish than a Double Dragon. I like both especially for that difference + that Double Dragon got 3 versions and much more level changes, you advance and that's the goal.

River City Ransom is a real concept of BTA/RPG, when you came back to some older previous places, like to upgrade your Kunio-kun... So it's a Map, i think there's level when you beat a Boss, that you have to found on a certain Map, as you can goes up or down with some passages.
Remind me a bit Bloodborne/Souls : you increase your ability (for your weapon too) but and it's a BTA/RPG too, with a bit of "research-adventure" added of course for that generation. But the principle is the same and both are easy to assimilate.

Well just to say : to me it's probably the most "advanced" in terms of possibility NES game i played, even better than some BTA from SNES by far, more fun too overall (to me) than any BTA on NES even Snes. @millossobek the sequel is a good game, i tried it. Just that it suffers with that version comparison in fact, but people don't get how hard, when you give everything on a game, to make a better sequel.

And for the last : it's became one of my top 3 or 5 favourite NES game, even BTA NES/SNES/Megadrive all games.
But my top 3 best objectively without nostalgia BTA are from the last to the first, Sengoku 2 (neo geo)/Street of Rage 3/ Sengoku 3 (absolute best BTA of all time)

Sorry to bother you about that game with 3 (well 2 talking about it) post a row 😅 but it's a real discover to me, and yes it get a bit older, you still can play the similar GBA version with filters if it's bothering you.

Last edited:
I've seen fit to appraise it:

Man I remember playing an identical football game at my cousin's house as a very little kid, when I wasn't even really following the sport.. but it was on Pc. Perhaps I'm mixing it up with some other as it seems it was never released there. But the end to end action and of course the camera are really giving me familiar vibes.

It's the best NES games i never played to be honest.
I completely agree bro! I mean River City Ransom has insane replay value. Something about it makes it so playable and fun. I've noticed that not only do opponents have different names, but they have different fighting styles, some come at you more aggressively, others more passive. But I think more than that, there's just something completely classic about its design and gameplay. It's kind of like Mario 3, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, and those other classics in the sense that there's just something about it that basically works. I like to call it the overall FEEL of the game. A combination of many factors that boiled to its most simple gameplay, has something intangible that makes it endlessly replayable! It's in the little details you mentioned, the quotes, the skills, the RPG elements.. But really, I think a game is classic when it's "simple" gameplay stands the test of time, and River City Ransom does!!

------

On an unrelated note.. I'm having an INSANE time with Contra 3, the Alien Wars on SNES. I've never been able to beat it, and even in "easy" mode with 10 lives I believe it is, I'm not able to pass the third stage! This has to be one of the hardest games on 16 bit, not to mention all time (including Ghosts n Goblins, Super Ghouls N Ghosts etc..) Even without the 30-lives cheat code, the original NES contra and Super C were not as difficult as The Alien Wars. Have any of you guys beaten the game? Haha.. maybe I need to practice more. :LMAO:

Last edited:
I played it after the "Contra : Hard Corps" on Megadrive i remember and i was like "okay, it's a good game".
And yes it's a very very good game...

BUT it's just because i finished "Contra : Hard Corps" the Snes Contra 3 which all seems different seemed basic and slow in comparison.
Less let's say authentic and impressive, the guys doing it on that Genesis version tooks every special effects and more added/created. It was a "mouth open" game when i tried.

Literally Arcade at home, didn't trough it was possible (hard to tell the difference from similar Arcade cabinet games)
Also... Needs Illimited Continue (to change characters when you lost)... Like an Arcade game.

Here's the map, everything depends on your choice between or in missions, there's 6 ending :

Well, it's in top 5 of the game who pushed the Genesis/Megadrive to very very high limits, zero slodown, and ranked as the best Contra of all time.

Name is : "Probotector" in Europe, simply.... No idea why they switched the name for no reason even if on Megadrive (Europe so) version you got 2 different characters.

Well it's probably like Winning Eleven and Iss Pro from the time, different names for no especial version.

Contra O.T.
I tried the first 2D Contra 3 days ago talking about it, but it's off thread as it's on PS2.

"Contra : Shattered Soldiers" : the game looks super good to me but a 2,5D games on PS2, it's 6 years after Contra III.
There's "Neo Contra" also on PS2 too, i don't know from what version it's the sequel.
PS2 is a encyclopedia of games so.... I discover always a gem when i'm searching a specific rom.

Here's the version PS2 "Shattered Soldier", didn't checked "Neo Contra" already but i will ddl it ASAP

You can check all the others Contra who was out after those versions III and Hard Corps, the 2 last 16 bits versions, there's many sequels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_(series)

Note : Contra C on PS1 is kinda different. A bit fun but not dynamic and hard as others versions from the franchise.

That's a great wiki article. :) PS2 Contra "Shattered Soldier" looks pretty cool, will probably give it a try sometime, it has nice ambiance for sure although it seems like you're fighting against a lot of "bigger" bosses and semi bosses.. And not the "regular enemy manic onslaught" that comes with the 8-bit and 16-bit contras, which seem in a way more action-driven!

After checking out some more longplays, I think Contra 4 for the Nintendo DS (2007) looks a bit more to my taste, as it is closer to the original contra!(in terms of look and also gameplay style!) I was looking into it and can be run with a DS emulator on PC. This is quite a bit more up my alley, more the "1000 enemies come at you at the same time" gameplay which I enjoy with the Contra series.

But I'll probably give Contra 4 a try after trying and trying the Alien Wars (and haven't even started with the Genesis Hard Corps version, which I remember you posted earlier!) :TU:Those different pathways look impressive, definitely have a lot of Contra to play. :LOL:

Last edited:
Didn't checked as it's on DS (3DS : impossible for my Raspberry, i used it on PC for Winning eleven check lol), don't remember if i can emulate DS roms on my Raspberry... I will try if it's a DS rom because i really loved what i just saw, really like an Arcade a bit less old / more Metalsluggy than the very first on Arcade (different from Snes, and VERY hard as you don't have unlimited continue : 3 only then game over)

It's a i think from what i've read but in terms of gameplay remaster in fact a bit like Windjammers 2 : same concept, button, some stuffs in more but the closest possible to the original.

Edit: there's PS4 version (Steam if i'm right too), didn't checked if it's a remaster in terms of gameplay with pixel arts or 2.5D or something more mixed between old/new school. I will later.
FTM i retried games like Shoot'n'gun and Shoot-them-up and i'm shit on it :LOL: i was very good in the old time, i lost it. A bit lazy to invest myself on those games directly. Time to time then.

Last edited:
Wow, as a Metal Slug fan too, i never know it existed a "crossover" more Shoot-them-up than Run'n'gun with the submarine.
Or it's just a copy inspired by, well it's copy paste litteraly (we won't complain about it as MSlug fans :D )
Will try it on Mame too, weird that i don't remember and don't think seeing the picture of that game on the Neo Geo emulator "all games"...

But it totally looks like a SNK game, pehraps the "Playmore" section when they started to release games on others machines when the Neo Geo was "older".
I know the game from his name, but never guessed that it was a 2D style Shoot-them-up.

Back
Top Bottom