Top 5 Games of All Time

Hard! Ones I've played most and had best times with.

1) SWOS (Amiga)
2) PES (prob 6, over ps2 and pc)
3) Rock Band (ps3. All are good, so that series in general)
4) Grand Prix 3 (PC. Once modded, was amazing)
5) Football Manager in all guises back to original Amiga days.

Not a very diverse list eh?! I prefer games with no real story as you can pick them up and play whenever.

My 2 cents (not in a particular order)... Maybe they're not my favourite ones of all time but are the one that I could name from the top of my head:
  • Bioshock (even the 2nd was cool and it had many interesting variations but the 1st is still unbeaten)
  • PES6 (although I'm the last one playing it among my friends, quite everyone moved to 2011)
  • Football Manager 2011 (probably the game I played the most in the last 2 years)
  • NFS 3: Hot pursuit (I don't know why, but it's been the only one in the series that got me really hooked. Other than that, also the 1st Underground and Most Wanted (2005) were good)
  • Runaway (I just finished the first: now I have the 2nd and 3rd, both already bought, to complete)

Interestingly this list doesn't feature FIFA11 which is a game I fell in love with hen I first tried it... I played FIFA for 2 years in a row, but then got back to PES6 :)

For me a game is not timeless like a book, a good movie or a music because of the technological dependence. So the top 10 games for me are all new games, or at least from this generation:

- Last of Us
- Bioshock Infinity
- PES 2013
- Uncharted 3
- Uncharted 2
- Heavy Rain
- Fallout 3
- Red Dead Redemption
- Skyrim
- Demon Souls

1. GTA IV + Episodes (IV Vanilla > TBoGT > TLAD)
2. Mafia 1
3. PES 6
4. GTR 2
5. GTA San Andreas

Plus many games that stole a lot of my time, but which I generally wouldn't consider as parts of the "top 5 of all time": Age of Empires 2, BF1942 with Forgotten Hope 0.7, BF2 with Forgotten Hope 2 (best mod ever), CS:Source, DTM Race Driver 2 + 3, Empire Earth 1, Just Cause 2, SWAT 4 with the SSF Mod and Test Drive Unlimited 1 + 2.

Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix
Sensible World of Soccer
Cannon Fodder
The Settlers
Syndicate
Populus

...all on the Amiga.

From the consoles....

Pro Evolution Soccer 5
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Red Dead Redemption
Crackdown
Gran Turismo 2
Midnight Club: LA

Probably loads I've forgot.

I have one of those Geoff Crammond GP games (maybe GP4) for PC. I wonder if anyone would still play it? It's in the proper hard case still.

Loved It Came from the Desert, what a game that was, the 2nd one Antheads was enjoyable too.

I'm only going to go for 5, no particular order.

Half Life - The game that changed everything for me, just unbelievable.
Red Dead Redemption - Probably all in all the best game I've ever played, with graphics, story, setting etc.
Blade Runner - Brilliant adventure game which had multiple endings, spend god knows how many hours on that.
Football Manager - Probably spent more time on this than anything else, have played it from it's Championship Manager days.
PES/Pro Evo/ISS - Still king of the footy games for me.

That's my 5.

FD

I have one of those Geoff Crammond GP games (maybe GP4) for PC. I wonder if anyone would still play it? It's in the proper hard case still.

I still to this day play GP4, it is still the best F1 game available to play at present and still has mods coming out for it, I have every year mod dating back to 1986.

Since 5 is such a small number to limit the best games, I thought I would I would do this by each generations since I've been playing games.

(3rd Generation) 8bit c64/spectrum
Jetpac, Batman the movie (1st full price game I ever brought for my speccy +2), Midnight Resistance, Atic attack & Target Renegade.

(4rd Generation)16 bit, Amiga, Snes, MegaDrive
Sensible Soccer, Jaguar Xj220, Speedball 2, Streets of Rage 2 & Super Street Fighter 2 (played that game non stop for 2 years everyday).

(5th Generation)32/64 bit, Saturn, ps1, N64,
Virtua Fighter 2, Mario Kart 64, Resident Evil 2, WWF No mercy & Gran Turismo 1

(6th Generation)DC/GC/PS2/Xbox
Soul Calibur, Knights of the Old Republic, Grand Theft Auto 3, Burnout 3 Take down & Pro Evolution Soccer 4.

(7th Generation/Current)360, ps3,wii
Heavy Rain, Gears of War, Mass Effect 1, Rock Band 3 & call of duty 4 modern warfare (got me into mufti player gaming)

(General PC), Command & Conquer, championship manager 2, unreal tournament, Doom & fallout 3

People should really learn to read: The OP wants five bes/most favourite games of all time, and not some long lists structured after platforms. Keep it simple, decide for five and write them down. I know it's hard, but otherwise these threads become meaningless.

So here are mine:

5. Carmageddon 1

4. Resident Evil 1-Gamecube-Remake

3. GTA III

2. Pro Evolution Soccer 3/5

and

1. Ico/Shadow of the colossus

I still to this day play GP4, it is still the best F1 game available to play at present and still has mods coming out for it, I have every year mod dating back to 1986.

I bought a steering wheel for it about 13-14 years ago but the game kept crashing under Windows so I returned the wheel :(

Might have to check out the mods for it and when I upgrade my PC, install it. I don't think it's very demanding given it's age. Do the mods improve the visuals?

I bought a steering wheel for it about 13-14 years ago but the game kept crashing under Windows so I returned the wheel :(

Might have to check out the mods for it and when I upgrade my PC, install it. I don't think it's very demanding given it's age. Do the mods improve the visuals?

Posted information in PC Racing thread to keep on topic.

PES6
FFX/VIII
Ultimate MK
MGS2-3
Gran Turismo2

from my childhood but i would put there a +1, Syphon Filter aswell

forgot Dino Crisis, Resident Evil, Shenmue, Soul Reaver, Double Dragon III, Operation Genesis, AVP2, GTA3, Tomb Raider: The Last REvelation....and i should put here The Last of Us, Skyrim, Heavy Rain

Last edited:
UFO Enemy Unknown
Sensible Soccer
Mario Kart 64
Super Bomberman 3
ISS Delux (SNES)

Also Goldeneye, Civilisation 2, and GTA San Andreas were very good.

1- WE 2000 U-23 (best gaming time of my life, hands down!)
2- WE 4
3- WE6 FE
4- Championship Manager 2 97-98
5- MLB The Show 06

worth mention: GP2, WE5, PES6 , FIFA 95, Football Manager(any year), any of the J-League games, NBA Live back in the 90's.

As u can see im not quite enjoying our current generation of games, they usually last 6-7 months for me... back in the psone/ps2 era those classics would last 2-3 years, weird, maybe im just getting old.

Last edited:
1. SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs
2. PES 5-2013
3. Mario Kart 64
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs

PES6
FFX/VIII
Ultimate MK
MGS2
Gran Turismo2

from my childhood but i would put there a +1, Syphon Filter aswell

Updating this 8 years later while not putting on the list new games really.

PES 5 - Cant really remember honestly which one i would pick. But one PES for sure.
Final Fantasy X - The best RPG of all time with the best story

Metal Gear 3 Sneak Eater - The best action game of all time with the best story. First chronologically so you can play it without the others.

Soul Reaver - The best platformer of all time with the best story. And possibly the best voice acted game of all time.

Resident Evil 1 Remake - The best classic survival horror of all time.

TBH, if I was to update my list it wouldn't change that much.
I would maybe only split it from PC and Console.

PC
1. XCOM - UFO Enemy Unknown - ORIGINAL RELEASE
2. Civilization 2
3. Championship Manager / Football Manager
4. Colonization - ORIGINAL RELEASE
5. Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix Series

Console:
1. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
2. The Last of Us - Part 1
3. Shenmue 1 & 2
4. Batman - Arkham Series
5. Detroit Become Human / Resident Evil 2 Remake

No one with Bloodborne/Dark souls on the list
I hate to make a list but let's say
PES1 and 5
Bloodborne
Dark souls series
God of War series
Okami

Retrogaming my list would be too long. I'm a big fan of retro games, and Emulation since i've got a PC

5: Onimusha 2 (PS2)
4: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2)
3: Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis (PC)
2: Uncharted 3 (PS3)
1: Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)

New list
A bit of a cheat because I have 6th place.... and 2 games there. Ignore them if you must.

6. Draw between Sleeping Dogs (PS3) and Marvel's Amazing Spider-Man (PS4). Not necessarily because they are equally good, but because they are pretty much the same game, except you swing in one and drive in the other.
5. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2) Excited to hear they are remaking this. The mood of this game is perfect, a mood they flushed straight down the toilet with Warrior Within.
4. Fate of Atlantis (PC) I almost consider this a part of the original movies. Still revisit it regularly. Better than Crystal Skull, but then, what isn't?
3. Uncharted series (PS3, PS4, not Vita though) Another cheat I guess. Put 4 up there if you must choose, a perfect end to the main series.
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) This was such a massive evolution from 2, and everything so memorable. The end fight will stay with me forever. Pity about 4 and 5, I could not get into them.
1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4). What a game! First really deep RPG I get into, gameplay is maybe not perfect but the story makes up for what is lacking. Even side missions you could miss altogether can turn out to be utterly brilliant. I have sung its praises enough in the respective thread, so I will leave it there.

Bonus award:
Best console: Playstation 2

Last edited:
4. Fate of Atlantis (PC) I almost consider this a part of the original movies. Still revisit it regularly. Better than Crystal Skull, but then, what isn't?

I still go back and play the LucasFilm/Arts games occasionally.

I have completed Monkey Island 1 and 2 twice since they were remastered and completed Fate of Atlantis last probably a couple of years ago - Even though completed it a few times, I have never done the Indiana Solo use your brains method. Only with Sophia and the wits and fists path.
They really should of made Fate of Atlantis into a movie, the story really is that good.

I have the Monkey Island remakes but they are just a tad bit to hard for me. Never played them originally. Need to get back in there.
Curse of Monkey Island on the other hand, on my top 10 for sure.

Back
Top Bottom