Anth's FIFA 22 Next-Gen Simulation Sliders/Tactical Adjustment (16/05/22)

I'm back to the disc version and trying to work on tightening up the midfield and reducing the close range goals from the CPU (v1.00 they don't shoot from outside the box as much unfortunately).

Currently testing the original set with:

Run Frequency: 85/85
FB: 45/45

I haven't had long with it yet but it seems to be helping. CPU is holding the ball in better areas around the outside of the box more, instead of inside. They seem more likely to cross it now instead of walking it into the box and it's also made the wings less accessible to counter. I think having some additional bodies higher up the pitch on turnovers is helping with the midfield resistance. I'm finding it much harder to get the ball out from the back. Early days, but hopefully it can help.

Despite the many positive from v1.00, the lack of attacking variety was starting to frustrate me a lot. CPU ending up passing around the box far too often.

I updated to TU5 and after some fairly big changes I think I’ve managed to finally get the pace/balance back to a level where you can’t just breeze through the opposition players anymore. I wanted bring back more physicality and the feeling that the opposition are a deterrent where you have to think more about body positioning and timing, not just burst through.

I’ve had to drop sprint speed back quite a lot and create a big discrepancy there, but I haven’t seen any CB jockeying yet and mentality still seems good. Don’t worry too much about the high discrepancy numbers, it’s more just a balancer than a huge gap in what’s possible.

I feel like overall it’s not as frantic as before also.

I’m still working on it but if anyone is interested give this a run. Hoping to try and stop flip flopping from disc version to update and stay with this and build. I’ve actually had a few good matches since this change.

1. Tactical adjustment

2. Sliders
-World Class/Legendary
-Slow, 10 min halves
-Classic Attributes in Kick-Off mode
-Manual/Semi (Competitor Switch off, Jockey Manual, Pass Block Assistance On, Analogue Sprint off)

Sprint Speed: 50/60
Acceleration: 46/49
Shot Error: 74/74 (Manual: 70/74)
Pass Error: 88/78 (Manual: 70/78)
Shot Speed: 49/49
Pass Speed: 34/30
Injury Frequency: 50/50
Injury Severity: 50/50
GK Ability: 50/50
Marking: 40/60
Line Height: 100/100
Line Length: 60/40
Line Width: 40/60
FB Positioning: 45/45
First Touch Error: 95/95
Power bar: 45 (for full manual I recommend 65 as it’s better for passing

Last edited:
Tried 2 games on the new sliders on the latest patch. Aston villa, FUMA, World class, slow

4-2 loss vs Everton
5-0 loss vs Leeds

Good lord what has happened 😅. I was pushing into the top 4 after some good results over the Christmas period but that's just pegged me back. It felt good mind, saw some lovely play and some tidy goals. Midfield are tight, but there's opportunity to counter attack as well. Feels like a good balance in that respect. I'm just wondering if the difference in speed and acceleration are my problem, found it difficult to stop attacks, but also to break free from defenders when building my own attacks. Might have a play around and reduce the speed sliders gap a bit if I'm getting pummelled like that in my next couple of games.

Update. 2 more games played
0-0 vs Newcastle
5-0 loss vs Watford

What on earth has happened 🤣

Last edited:
Tried 2 games on the new sliders on the latest patch. Aston villa, FUMA, World class, slow

4-2 loss vs Everton
5-0 loss vs Leeds

Good lord what has happened 😅. I was pushing into the top 4 after some good results over the Christmas period but that's just pegged me back. It felt good mind, saw some lovely play and some tidy goals. Midfield are tight, but there's opportunity to counter attack as well. Feels like a good balance in that respect. I'm just wondering if the difference in speed and acceleration are my problem, found it difficult to stop attacks, but also to break free from defenders when building my own attacks. Might have a play around and reduce the speed sliders gap a bit if I'm getting pummelled like that in my next couple of games.

Update. 2 more games played
0-0 vs Newcastle
5-0 loss vs Watford

What on earth has happened 🤣
Haha wow those are some results! If you find the balance isn't working for you with speed/acceleration, maybe try adjusting those values closer with less discrepancy and see how it feels for you.

I’ve been finding it quite good personally, as I feel like the physicality has come back and it's making me have to pass more and find gaps. I find double tapping sprint to burst through still let’s you get some space and keeps the CPU away if you're breaking or have a run on them, but it stops that lightning quick change of direction to get by at will.

Good to hear the midfield feels tighter, I've found the same. I think the increase in run frequency has actually helped with this as it gets players a little more engaged with each other higher up the pitch so the transitions have more resistance now. It’s also helped stop the CPU from being quite as frantic on the ball. I know it seems counter intuitive, but I've found a higher run frequency encourages the CPU to play with more variety and look for attacking passes instead of playing close tika-taka.

Last edited:
I matched the speed of the CPU in the next game and snuck a 3-2 win vs Brighton. I think because the midfield has tightened up its cut off my usual routes to goal a bit so I'm having to think a bit more about build up play which is good.

Seen some good variety in CPU attacks and shooting from distance on a few occasions. Also crossing it when in good crossing positions, instead of reverting to tiki taka into the box. It's still definitely there but they now seem to mix it up a bit with some good passages of play.

I will play some more games and have a tinker with the speed sliders, but otherwise this set suits me quite nicely at this point 👌

After more games with the set I posted on Wednesday for the latest update (updated on first page) it's holding up well and I'm back to really enjoying the game again. It's a bit ridiculous that the changes needed to be quite extreme (especially in speed/acc discrepancies) to sort it out, but I'm finding the game is much more balanced now. I'm having low scoring (realistic shot/save count), good midfield battles and players are interacting with each other in the fight for the ball much more like they should be.

In regards to the movement itself, I know it might feel a little sluggish at first if you’re not used to it, but I think overall it's relatively fluid still. I find I double tap the sprint button a lot to get myself that extra little bit of pace or space when needed and that offsets the speed/slower movement of the User. I actually find it quite realistic to use that (as it's risk/reward) compared to just having ultra responsive movement all the time. Having the CPU a little quicker in general also makes you have to consider your team/player position more, as you can't just rely on the quickness of an individual to get you out of trouble at will. You also feel the intensity of a press more.

A couple of small changes to marking, run frequency and FBs has also helped to settle down the frantic behaviour of the CPU and I’m finding they’re playing football better now as a result. I’m back to seeing one player hold the ball for longer periods, stopping even if he can’t find a way through, passing backwards etc.

I maintain that the tactical adjustment has a very positive impact on the general gameplay and the areas of the pitch matches play out.

The variety in play overall on the updated version does beat out the disc version so I'm happy I've found this balance for now.

EDIT: Just had a really good match PSG v Juve, full manual on Legendary. I was PSG and lost 3-1. Here is a good example of the type of play I’m seeing more often now. The CPU is playing the ball back and around more, not just direct attacks all game long.

10 minute halves, I was out-possessed 53-47%. 11 shots to 3. Looking at the heat map for overall possession, a lot of the match took place in the midfield for both teams, with me especially struggling to get the ball forward all that much.

Last edited:
Another solid game here on TU5. I was Utd, 10 min halves again, World Class, full manual.

Stats here are a good example of how things are playing out for me at the moment. XG is realistic, saves, shots, pass % too. Fouls are the only anomaly in this particular match, but I’m not concerned as I do usually have quite a few more than that. The most encouraging thing was it was an engaging match with lots of variety. One of the best things about this game that isn’t spoken about is the lack of similar patterns in the CPU attack. Check out Chelsea‘a heat map there, it’s quite varied.

18E1737D-EC6C-4A31-A9A0-22B9201DB81F.jpeg34CD7B1C-E8DE-40B1-A836-CCD47A86C826.jpeg

I dream of that pass accuracy from the AI but never get it...
I think a few factors contribute to it. Certain spacing/distances (part sliders and also tactical adjustment), combined with run frequency, lower marking (for user) and pass error. If run frequency is higher you don’t see the long streaky runs you’d expect, it actually makes things a little more interesting and it encourages the CPU to play different (more adventurous) passes.

The pass error slider can sometimes lead to some ridiculous give aways, but I generally can accept it for the most part, as it’s not too frequent and it has quite a big upside in general.

I also find having lower marking for the User settles the CPU’s behaviour a little. When marking is too high, it rushes them and they find gaps easier and play at a much higher tempo. When it’s lower, they have to ‘think’ a little more.

Currently testing one value change to fairly good effect so far. I’m trying CPU width at 70 instead of 60

I was finding the middle of the pitch was just a little too congested to be able to play through and attacks needed to be built up through the wings too often. Opening up the middle of the field a little more has helped bring in more variety to attacking options and is making the midfield more interesting (especially on manual). With the added discrepancy in movement, the CPU was closing everything down far too quickly and easily in those areas, whereas on 70 I’m finding you can actually play through the middle and create from there now which has made things more enjoyable. I’ll keep testing if there’s a sweet spot but I’m liking 70 at the moment..

Edit: I’m also testing 45/75 for width as I feel the extra additional width on both sides is just making the game more enjoyable…

Last edited:
I know no-one really cares anymore:LMAO:but I’ve been trying to reduce some of the rigidity of the team movement and increase the ‘playable space’ (and also have midfielders come out more to defend higher). I think this will make passages across the pitch more engaging.

The width increase I posted previously (45/75) has helped and now I’m testing length at 100/80. So far I’m finding that additional space is actually very welcomed. There’s less ‘I attack, you attack’ now, and the ways you can score seem improved further. It may need a bit of tightening as I play more but I’m liking the effect of it…

Last edited:
Further to my post yesterday, these two line changes are holding up very well in my opinion. I’m finding I’m having some of my most enjoyable matches on 22 NG now. There’s just that little bit of extra space which allows you to create and play how you like. The CPU is also creating some more varied chances now and the overall positioning and distances across the pitch just feel better now compared to before. I’ve had some low scoring games including 0-0, and some high scoring games as well.

Highly recommend to give it a go if you haven’t, remembering that the full set, including the tactical adjustment should be used. Don’t worry about the values you see or the discrepancies, just give it a go first and see if it suits. First post is updated with the current changes.

Another 0-0 which held up very well (10 min halves, WC, semi controls).

9 shots to 7
1-2 saves
93% pass completion for me (Real Madrid) 86% for CPU (Chelsea). This was one of the highest pass % I’ve had for a while.
4 fouls
Good midfield engagement, with the possession map showing a very well rounded match throughout the pitch.

Trying to bring some more midfield resistance without throwing out the balance.

Currently testing CPU marking at 75.

The more I play this new update, the more I think we’re going to need to do some rebalancing. It feels faster in movement and shot/pass speed. Argh..

The more I play this new update, the more I think we’re going to need to do some rebalancing. It feels faster in movement and shot/pass speed. Argh..
I love all of your mods Anth, but I honestly think it's just too far gone now on next-gen. It will only keep moving towards a game where defenders are training cones and the ball is a rocket that can be controlled like a cushion.

Have you tried the old-gen version for a while? Would be interested to see if you genuinely find it much less playable, cos I tried it with mods a while ago and found it largely the same (made more palatable by mods, not "wow" levels of gameplay cos 1v1 breaks everything, but better).

I love all of your mods Anth, but I honestly think it's just too far gone now on next-gen. It will only keep moving towards a game where defenders are training cones and the ball is a rocket that can be controlled like a cushion.

Have you tried the old-gen version for a while? Would be interested to see if you genuinely find it much less playable, cos I tried it with mods a while ago and found it largely the same (made more palatable by mods, not "wow" levels of gameplay cos 1v1 breaks everything, but better).
Hey Chris, sorry I've been away for a few days so haven't had a chance to reply. I haven't played the PC version for a while, I will give it another run again soon but I can just never get beyond the 1v1 on CG and the the resulting lack of blocked passing lanes all the time. Once you see that tracking system working in game, you can't un-see it unfortunately.

Next-Gen has definitely become worse since its release in terms of updates, etc - no doubt at all. I still find the overall gameplay and general positioning/behaviour much more enjoyable than CG though and I do think it has a lot of positives to work with so I keep trying to find a balance....maybe stupidly, but I do enjoy that side of adjusting the game as well. The method of finding the balance is admittedly becoming more lopsided though, with bigger discrepancies between user and CPU to try and counter things- and it obviously doesn't solve everything, not even close. Up until now I've managed to get the gameplay back to a place where I can still enjoy it though.

This latest update, whilst not as bad as TU4 (or 5, I never remember which one it was), it isn't a good one. I still haven't had a lot of time with it, but I have found a few tweaks which have helped some of the problems. I actually haven't found too many issues with tracking or defensive awareness post update so far, but I've found the issues are more with the usual increase in the speed of movement (which again has taken away physicality) and the increase in pass/shot speed. I know everyone has cleared out pretty much, but I had a bit of success trying to settle down those elements. I'll keep testing and post once I've had some more time with it.

In terms of a way forward, I'm not overly confident in any major changes happening in the next few years regarding simulation/arcade separation, so unfortunately unless that happens we'll have to take what we can get as a base and try and adjust from there.

I've been trying to find a balance to the awful Live Tuning update from a few weeks ago. I think I've finally got it to a place that's decent, but there are still some areas that really annoy me.

I won't bother going into it all too much, but there's a reason for the huge discrepancies between User and CPU in Speed/Acceleration. It all comes down to the way the CPU shuffles and passively moves out of your way now when you're holding the ball and running towards them. The discrepancy allows them to get back into the 'correct' position for the most part so that you can't just keep running through teams at will. I recommend double tapping the sprint button with this set as a way of feeling like you can still 'burst' - as if you bring up the speed to match the CPU you will just be sprinting by everyone with ease all the time.

The idea behind this set is to create that challenge so you have to find your gaps and pick your moment for taking on someone. It doesn't feel as unbalanced as it might look on paper, I actually think a lot of the values match up relatively well for the most part - remembering that sliders are often about behaviour more than anything else. The unbalancing has mainly been done through all of these ridiculous updates, through sliders I'm just trying to correct it!

In general though, I've really tried to create more physicality, more natural patterns and a difficult avenue to goal. I've tried to stop the tika-taka, create realistic passages of play (which are also replicated in stats; lower general shot and save counts and more of a midfield battle).

Anyway, I might tweak a little from here, but for now I feel this is much better than it was before. Hope it helps some of you guys!

Oh and a reminder that I'm still using this in combination with the Tactical Adjustment which is one the first page.

05/04/22

-World Class/Legendary
-Slow, 10 min halves
-Manual/Semi (Competitor Switch off, Jockey Manual, Pass Block Assistance On, Analogue Sprint off)

Sprint Speed: 60/75
Acceleration: 48/53
Pass Speed: 34/30
Marking: 40/75
Line Length: 100/80
Line Width: 40/70
First Touch Error: 20/20
Power bar: 45 (for full manual I recommend 65 as it’s better for passing)

Last edited:
Cheers Anth will check these out later. After the live update that ruined everything I'd put the game down for a while, but picked it back up a few days ago, just before this very latest live update. I noticed a clear difference in gameplay after the live update. I actually was enjoying it again and playing some nice football, but there were some balancing issues with the old slider set, so I'm looking forward to trying these tweaks. Appreciate you posting these updates, with the patches and live updates its tricky to keep the game playing how I want so these are a great help 😀

Small update to User acceleration. Bumped up to 48. It’s holding up well so far and feels much more fluid than 45.

Edit: That weird defensive issue is still showing up a bit too much. I'm currently testing First Touch Error at 20/20 - and so far it seems to be helping somewhat. My thinking is a lower first touch error might help the CPU better determine when it can reach the ball/when to go in for a tackle or to hold. It seems to be making them more decisive and more accurate which is helping some of these weird interactions and passages.

In a match I'm playing now with this one change, I've immediately noticed a higher CPU possession stat and significantly more fouls. Change reflected in posts.

Last edited:
Hello Anth James
I Hope you're fine.
I'm Reading since the begginning your settings, very nice by the way.

If I can help, reduced first touche error didn't help to slow down gameplay. The CPU can more anticipate it next action, so you will see more tikitaka and l'ESS crosses.

Speed sprint is too high too, juste under 50 is better.
It depends what kind of games you want. You will see many fast runners I think.

Do you have a video of your sliders, it can help to see what is wrong

Last edited:
Hello Anth James
I Hope you're fine.
I'm Reading since the begginning your settings, very nice but the way.

If I can help, reduced first touche error didn't help to slow down gameplay. The CPU can more anticipate it next action, so you will see more tikitaka and l'ESS crosses.

Speed sprint is too high too, juste under 50 is better.
It depends what kind of games you want. You will see many fast runners I think.

Do you have a video of your sliders, it can help to see what is wrong
Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I think we ultimately have a different interpretation of how we use sliders from each other. I usually make adjustments in how they impact the behaviour of the AI more than anything else.

I've found that it's often necessary to have different values between User and CPU to refine the behaviour of both. High marking value for the User for example seems to rush the CPU and brings about more direct, tika-taka play. If you play lower marking, the CPU settles on the ball a little more as there isn't that constant threat encouraging them to play the next pass or find that gap in your formation. On the other hand, I find a high marking settings for the CPU works very well for the most part in creating more midfield resistance.

The reason the speed and acceleration are higher are to reduce/minimise certain behavioural issues. For example on lower sprint speeds, the CPU plays more passively, and they also jockey too often on counter attacks. The higher sprint speed engages them into a sprint much faster and prevents a lot of positional issues from arising.

The lower first touch error isn't designed to slow the game down, it's to make the CPU more confident and accurate in it's physical interactions with the User.

I don't have an up to date video yet as I'm still tweaking things at the moment but I'll post one once I'm happy. Looks like you have a set too that you're very happy with which is great!

Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I think we ultimately have a different interpretation of how we use sliders from each other. I usually make adjustments in how they impact the behaviour of the AI more than anything else.

I've found that it's often necessary to have different values between User and CPU to refine the behaviour of both. High marking value for the User for example seems to rush the CPU and brings about more direct, tika-taka play. If you play lower marking, the CPU settles on the ball a little more as there isn't that constant threat encouraging them to play the next pass or find that gap in your formation. On the other hand, I find a high marking settings for the CPU works very well for the most part in creating more midfield resistance.

The reason the speed and acceleration are higher are to reduce/minimise certain behavioural issues. For example on lower sprint speeds, the CPU plays more passively, and they also jockey too often on counter attacks. The higher sprint speed engages them into a sprint much faster and prevents a lot of positional issues from arising.

The lower first touch error isn't designed to slow the game down, it's to make the CPU more confident and accurate in it's physical interactions with the User.

I don't have an up to date video yet as I'm still tweaking things at the moment but I'll post one once I'm happy. Looks like you have a set too that you're very happy with which is great!
Thanks for your reply.
I made my own sliders since FIFA 20, who was the more buggy FIFA to date. So I played a lot with the beggining of the pandemy.
And I have found a set who worked fine.
My focus is the Cpu and like you I haven't the same values for me and AI.

I'm a FUMA player, so I hate help. Manuel switching is good now since two updates, so I didn't need a high score of marking for me. For Cpu, since FIFA 20, after 70, you can see hole in Cpu defense.
With a low first touch error, you will see maybe too much shoots on goal but yes AI will play better and sometime faster with big teams like PSG, City or Real Madrid.
It also depends of your stategy.

I Hope you will find soon the good formula and never forget that the perfect combinaison didn't exist. Have fun!

I've been trying to find a balance to the awful Live Tuning update from a few weeks ago. I think I've finally got it to a place that's decent, but there are still some areas that really annoy me.

I won't bother going into it all too much, but there's a reason for the huge discrepancies between User and CPU in Speed/Acceleration. It all comes down to the way the CPU shuffles and passively moves out of your way now when you're holding the ball and running towards them. The discrepancy allows them to get back into the 'correct' position for the most part so that you can't just keep running through teams at will. I recommend double tapping the sprint button with this set as a way of feeling like you can still 'burst' - as if you bring up the speed to match the CPU you will just be sprinting by everyone with ease all the time.

The idea behind this set is to create that challenge so you have to find your gaps and pick your moment for taking on someone. It doesn't feel as unbalanced as it might look on paper, I actually think a lot of the values match up relatively well for the most part - remembering that sliders are often about behaviour more than anything else. The unbalancing has mainly been done through all of these ridiculous updates, through sliders I'm just trying to correct it!

In general though, I've really tried to create more physicality, more natural patterns and a difficult avenue to goal. I've tried to stop the tika-taka, create realistic passages of play (which are also replicated in stats; lower general shot and save counts and more of a midfield battle).

Anyway, I might tweak a little from here, but for now I feel this is much better than it was before. Hope it helps some of you guys!

Oh and a reminder that I'm still using this in combination with the Tactical Adjustment which is one the first page.

01/04/22

-World Class/Legendary
-Slow, 10 min halves

Sprint Speed: 60/75
Acceleration: 48/53
Pass Speed: 33/29
Marking: 40/75
Line Length: 100/80
Line Width: 40/70
First Touch Error: 20/20
Power bar: 45 (for full manual I recommend 65 as it’s better for passing)
Im playing this set atm. Why the much much lower FTE?

I’ve made some adjustments on post 1. I’m trying to bring back some more fluidity and freedom to the gameplay as it was feeling a little sluggish. I’m liking these changes a lot at the moment…

Last edited:
I'm still working on improving this and have made a few changes on the first post.

Changes are in CPU marking (now 95), User Length (35) and Width (75). The thinking behind these changes is to increase midfield resistance and path to the final third. The changes are having a good impact so far. I've been playing on manual and legendary and finding it very difficult but enjoyable. Again, playing with the tactical adjustment as well.

For all the faults of FIFA, I can't help but find the general behaviour (movement obviously aside) and variety of the CPU to still be very good in this game for the most part.

Last edited:
Hey Anth, I gave these sliders a go (Marseille v Feyenoord (AI) friendly). The AI essentially played a full man press, which was difficult to play out of and made for a challenging game, but they were totally out of stamina by the 30 minute mark. Have you run into that much?

Hey Anth, I gave these sliders a go (Marseille v Feyenoord (AI) friendly). The AI essentially played a full man press, which was difficult to play out of and made for a challenging game, but they were totally out of stamina by the 30 minute mark. Have you run into that much?
Hey, I haven’t noticed it really much myself. You can try knocking marking down to 75 or so for the CPU and see if that helps. I’ve only recently gone to 95 marking for them to try and increase that resistance across the pitch as it was bugging me how teams sit off too much, too often, so it’s probably not fully tested yet. It might happen more for teams with pressing tactics possibly..

You could also try dropping CPU acceleration to help with the stamina, but not sure how that will impact the interactions between User and CPU.

EDIT: I played a match v Liverpool and you’re right, stamina is depleted quite quickly but I didn’t actually notice it impact the press or the way they played. I think I’ve heard others say this could be true as well, that the bar doesn’t necessarily equate to a slow down on pitch. The press was aggressive, especially with the increase in acceleration and speed for the CPU. You felt the intensity of Liverpool coming at you.

Last edited:
Another couple of small changes updated in the first post. I’m really liking 60 error for the user on manual with a 70 power bar. It feels much more natural and fluid.

Back
Top Bottom