eFootball (All Platforms)

My opinion of eFootball fluctuated a lot over the past month... The new ball trapping mechanic where the game will move your player while you're trying to aim a "first time/one touch" pass seems to be responsible for a lot of what I perceived as "nonresponsiveness". Like here, I pass the ball to CR7, then I'm aiming at Salah while powering up my pass, but the new ball trapping mechanic thinks I want to pull CR7 away from the ball, which is something I guess Konami introduced to make "super cancel"-like movements more accessible. As a result, it yanks CR7 off his magnetic run towards the ball for a second, and that's enough to ruin the one-touch pass and force him to take an extra touch before passing, which I perceived as "non-responsiveness". You can see this play out here:

Notice how CR7 jerks towards Salah while I power up my pass, which forces him to take that extra touch:

But the thing is, the game is fluid and responsive when it's not held back by its own mechanics: Coutinho online here makes a 180 degree turn to face the ball and pulls off a first time lofted pass with the animation starting even before the power bar fills up:

But the lack of enough animations to receive the ball at any position or be able to pull off first touch passing is hurting responsiveness a lot, and it won't change without machine learning because you can't just keep motion capturing every possible animation in a game. Look here how Salah needs to inexplicably take an extra touch even though the pass instruction went fully through well before he receives the ball:

And then there's the lack of responsiveness for no reason whatsoever, even though I know for a fact the game has the animation ready. Like there's no way CR7 needs to take this extra touch rather than make a one touch pass as instructed:

Offline, I must say, this plays like probably the smoothest, most fluid game of football I've experienced, esp the way it rewards passing into your players' momentum direction which results in very smooth plays:

And honestly, I didn't appreciate it enough till I switched to PES21 for a few days and saw the difference. IMO the only edge gameplay-wise that PES21 has is with shooting and crossing physics. But even off-ball tactical movement is way better in eFootball. When I played PES, I found the gameplay to be very stiff, movement was way too robotic, and player momentum didn't play as big a role as it played in real life or in EF. The Legend AI in PES21 is not fun to engage with, at all. Just challenging and unforgiving. Way more fun in EF.

So yeah, hopefully in time it keeps getting better, especially if they add offline modes we can purchase.
Excellent post and agree with the take that the game v. AI is actually pretty good going indeed.

I dunno, a combination of how it looks/plays with me using a lowered and more zoomed in cam gives it the feeling of a very retro but very playable offering on the pitch.

Watched TTB's most recent video and found myself agreeing with that too with regards to some neat stuff the AI is doing along with it's general play. Some fantastic matches had using a new squad I am building.

I still feel absolutely sick that the money i spent on konami coins while i was possessed by god knows what will be going to league license rather than something meaningful and worthy.

I never ever spent any money on microtrasactions in my entire gaming history and then i went on and did this. Is there any way to absolve myself from this wrong doing ? Feels like i lost virginity to the filthiest whore. It will stick with me forever.

Whats worse is that they can now see the data and the spending pattern where people like me spent to get club cards (and legend cards like Neymars and Messis) and refrain from allowing other methods to get those exclusive players (eg. by the means of grinding). Not like fifa where at least you grind weekend league and trade (much more rewarding than gameplay) to get your fav card. Konami just straight up paywalls you unless you spend real money.

I find it a lot less stressful than PES 2021 because it's fun. Dribbling is fun, defending is fun

Exactly. I feel like I'll get cheated by the AI when I'm playing Legend in PES. Not in eFootball.

But even online, the improvement in dribbling isn't just when you're sprinting, normal movement with the ball, 'stop and go', easy turn mechanics. They're all realistic and feel very rewarding.

Like here see how Firmino stops, turns to face a different player, then turns away to run in a different direction, all without skills or sprint bursts. This all is simply not possible in PES:

And I do it all the time in tight quarters and it works just fine. Check out how Bale can quickly turn after receiving a ball when sprint isn't pressed, leaving the sprinting defender in the dust because momentum is actually a thing in eFootball:

Again, can't do in PES and won't work as effectively.

I don't even have to do skill moves to leave eager Legend defenders behind. Check this sleek "stop and go" simple move by Rashford:

From a strict gameplay standpoint, I'm really happy with eFootball, and it's the biggest gameplay improvement the series has seen in a long time. I don't like that shooting physics aren't affected by the ball bounce as much as they rely on the "stunning" modifier, and many other things in gameplay, particularly player switching with manual controls, but it's getting there. I am eagerly waiting for offline modes and Edit mode, both promised by the dev so we'll see.

Last edited:
Exactly. I feel like I'll get cheated by the AI when I'm playing Legend in PES. Not in eFootball.

But even online, the improvement in dribbling isn't just when you're sprinting, normal movement with the ball, 'stop and go', easy turn mechanics. They're all realistic and feel very rewarding.

Like here see how Firmino stops, turns to face a different player, then turns away to run in a different direction, all without skills or sprint bursts. This all is simply not possible in PES:

And I do it all the time in tight quarters and it works just fine. Check out how Bale can quickly turn after receiving a ball when sprint isn't pressed, leaving the sprinting defender in the dust because momentum is actually a thing in eFootball:

I don't even have to do skill moves to leave eager Legend defenders behind. Check this sleek "stop and go" simple move by Rashford:

From a strict gameplay standpoint, I'm really happy with eFootball, and it's the biggest gameplay improvement the series has seen in a long time. I don't like that shooting physics aren't affected by the ball bounce as much as they rely on the "stunning" modifier, and many other things in gameplay, particularly player switching with manual controls, but it's getting there. I am eagerly waiting for offline modes and Edit mode, both promised by the dev so we'll see.

As nice as that first Firmino clips probably feels when you pull that off without having to rely on skill moves, the collision system prevents it from being as smooth as it should be. This might be one of my bigger issues so far with eFootball when compared to PES. I loved inviting contact and riding challenges in PES but I feel like the inconsistent referee logic mixed in with the collision system needing work is holding that area of the game back.

I do agree that the overall freedom of movement is nice, especially offline where the responsiveness and input delay are improved.

As nice as that first Firmino clips probably feels when you pull that off without having to rely on skill moves, the collision system prevents it from being as smooth as it should be. This might be one of my bigger issues so far with eFootball when compared to PES. I loved inviting contact and riding challenges in PES but I feel like the inconsistent referee logic mixed in with the collision system needing work is holding that area of the game back.

I do agree that the overall freedom of movement is nice, especially offline where the responsiveness and input delay are improved.

Yep, interpreting a collision that doesn't involve a tackle into a foul is still a big problem in eFootball:

But it was the exact same issue in PES:

They tried to fix it the first time they introduced the revamped collisions in the 2020 demo, but then every touch became a foul. There are a lot of missing underlying mechanics they need to be able to identify fouls that aren't the result of a tackle instruction.

Hi all,
Any defensive tip/advice on free kicks?
I am most of the time able to contain Pay-to-Win players, but if I concede a free kick relatively close to the box, it is a certain goal for my opponent…

Hm… not that often, I see it different to you.
I just can’t fully agree on.
edit: and let me ask you, what happens in those situations (when it’s already great) if you do use the sprint button (wich makes sense from time to time)?

keep up the diggin, I’m reading. Still, there is so much stuff broken in eF, imo! Too much! And with broken I mean new stuff, that worked before plus stuff that is in there for years! 🤷‍♂️

gameplay will probably never reach its potential. if they couldn’t do it before… it won’t come in the future. It’s the customers and the business these days. Only hope seems modding!

edit: and as I said, when the mess before 1.0 came out, I can see the games vision. (And I applauded that). It’s just badly executed, or sloppy. And it collides with greed for more money, I mean the business plan. Simple is that.

maybe it’s my poor engl. knowledge but that doesn’t make sense to me. „Again, can't do in PES and won't work as effectively.“ 🤷‍♂️
how can I do something not as effective when I can’t do it at all in the first place?! 🤔

one more edit: what do you think of the broken target locking in fuma?!

one final edit: 😉
i rewatched some of my 2021SU clips I have on iPad… and yeah, momentum isn’t as prominent, its more a super minor factor. Still I was able to fool opponents…
what I will do, when I get home later, is having another look on that part of the game. 😊 need to check if I might be wrong here.

Last edited:
edit: and as I said, when the mess before 1.0 came out, I can see the games vision. (And I applauded that). It’s just badly executed, or sloppy. And it collides with greed for more money, I mean the business plan. Simple is that.
This kind of reminds me of how some of us sw the vision of PES 2014 while others widely scrutiniesd it. Of course the games industry was a different buisiness when PES 2014 came out and the creators goal was to make a truly realistic sim & they rushed it... This time they wanted to make a profit accumulater but rushed that too and until recently there was no way for it to actually generate revenue as they launched it without a MTX mode 😂

Well I have not speak for days now ( perhaps for someone’s was better) but after some games that a gave to Pes22 ( eFootball is not a name to me ) I saw potential at that. To be outspoken I play only at training mode with any team ( at the moment unless or until Konami locked down and that mode) in superstar level and I see some interesting points of the game.
Firstly the defense is something that you can’t leave at auto support or even semi auto . It demands 100% from you and your attentiveness. This is a good thing even if you need time to get used .
Goalkeepers has the same as all the predecessors PES. Anything slow speed place shooting goes in or middle side . They have some fancy saves but at the same time that you said …WTF what he just saved you said also what the hell what he just concede…
Dribbling is way better ….for me that I am not button nerd or combos king . And on that aspect is the only thing for me that attribute applies. If your dribbler is good you will dribble if not is difficult.
The negatives for me and also disappointment is speed. I do not know what they was thinking of that aspect in game. It seems to me that all the players even goalkeepers run at the same speed. Am I wrong ?
And of course for me the main negative is the teams unique type of playing . I found 3-4 different types of regular tactical game development. Konami they have done the lessers things on that. Of course they are and others negative things but for me those was the prime. But to be honest has the potential after 2-3 updates to be accepted for the community.
And last but not least .
I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THEY RELEASE A OFFLINE SIMILAR MASTER LEAGUE MODE EVER.

I've went from hating the defending and wondering what they hell they have done to absolutely loving it. The face-up thing properly works. Really like the passive aggressive approach you can use in the game.

Yes, still a fair bit they need to do to nail down a few things but love how patience and doing things that you would do in real life are applicable here (like showing players onto their weaker foot or ushering them wide) and it is all just driven by one button and the left stick. I hardly ever use the the secondary press button and when I do is just with my CF.

How in the fuck does that clip look good to you? All around the 0:07-0:08 mark:

efootball dribbling amazeballs.jpeg

So in stage 1, you get to some strange position where the ball is between you both. In stage 2, opponent player starts to inexplicably run to the side away from the ball. In stage 3 – definitely the best stage! – your player actively runs to the side and away from the ball to follow the player who went walkies before him. And then in stage 4 he's back to the ball (having remembered it) and clear in space.

That wasn't some spectacular dummy. It was pure bollocks :LOL:

You can just about see what they're trying to code there, in terms of a dummy, but the implementation of it is terrible and it doesn't relate to the actual "1 on 1" that's on the pitch. Just a canned dummy animation with a rubbish trigger.

The offline game as a wonderful slower rhythm to it, it's such a shame we're restricted to 10 minutes. It's just not enough time and it's like regressing back to demo days of getting into the flow of a match and then it's just over...

It's the closest we'd get to feeling like a woman on a disappointing one night stand. It's always over before it even begins...

gameplay will probably never reach its potential. if they couldn’t do it before… it won’t come in the future. It’s the customers and the business these days. Only hope seems modding!
eFootball Modding is dying mate. Maybe we can add small things here and there but not used to be.

I always took the "it's got potential" bit, as meaning "it's pretty bad".

I mean 20, 19 & 18 "had potential" and that potential became e-futball 22. So I will only pay attention when that mythical potential is realized (probably never).

Another good line was the "it's a great base". I miss that line. This is when you knew it was a real stinker. It meant "there's this one cool bit, shame about everything else". But they were kind enough to sell you that base so you could build the rest on top yourself or something. 😅

Last edited:
I always took the "it's got potential" bit, as meaning "it's pretty bad".

I mean 20, 19 & 18 "had potential" and that potential became e-futball 22. So I will only pay attention when that mythical potential is realized (probably never).

Another good line was the "it's a great base". I miss that line. This is when you knew it was a real stinker. It meant "there's this one cool bit, shame about everything else". But they were kind enough to sell you that base so you could build the rest on top yourself or something. 😅
Well, when I used to say that, it had the meaning of the words. But yeah, last couple of years have somehow changed the meaning. 🤷‍♂️
Naturally, if you wouldn’t have named it, I’d go on with “the base is/was here/there” (multiple times!!)… 😂 but you are right.

We all know better now, a good vanilla is worth S in the long run… when was the last time a final update made a game the best version to play? Just can’t remember.

Back when nets and body collision were simple but better.
I don't say I prefer the overall gameplay (too fast, very fast and arcadey feel, players have less inertia/momentum, AI is constantly passing etc).

This image incapsulates everything wrong with Coinami's thought process during the development cycle of efootball 22. It' a representation of how Coinmai sees things. To this day, they still have their heads stuck in the ground like poor ol' Di Maria pictured here. I do wish though Di Maria's head went far up his own ass. Just for the lols alone, that would have been sweet shot to further highlight how much of an utter shitshow this game is.

And for anyone looking to put on their best cape for Coinami, and tell me this was taken before V1 to make Coinami look bad, all you have to do is look at the color background of replay bar located on the upper left side of this picture. One of the recent changes Coinami has implemented for V1.11 or whatever the fuck they wanna call it is the application of a darker shade of blue for most of the UI. The UI is still garbage and the swap from kiddie blue to dark blue means diddily squat.

Last edited:
I don't know what Di Maria is trying but maybe this:
MArz.gif

joke goes adressed to konami!
Di Maria is a good player and very underrated.

What is your opinion on match-up button?

To me it is a mechanism that should be easy to implement, but in this state it is broken.
First introduced, it was overpowered, and now it is just a cheap tool for them to differentiate player stats. By that I mean if a great passing stats player makes a pass it just go through defenders legs. And if there is a good dribbling stats player then defender doesn't react, or over reacts on fake shots. IMO, it shouldn't be implemented that way.

By easy implementation I mean: when button pressed, player should change its posture in "ready to intercept, aware of the ball" state, but movement of player should be manual. In this state movement is slower, but player is aware of the ball and ready to intercept. There is still stats involved regarding movement speed, reaction and reach.

In this state it is just random and there is no skill gap.

Hello everyone.
I have a problem. i am currently a pc player and when I press R3 for the Manual goalkeeper I have a kind of freeze. Am I the only one ? anyone have a solution?

What you're describing is the momentum script, which has been in the game for years. I first really noticed it in PES2019, when in certain periods of matches, or entire matches, not only did the cpu get an obvious boost (that's been in the game since PES1) but your players were clearly being hampered and the "physics" became heavily biased in favour of the cpu. Of course, sometimes it'll be biased in favour of you.

But I did some tests in PES19 and the penny dropped as to what was happening, how the game was clearly manipulating outcomes. Once you've seen it, you cannot unsee it. It's very heavily present in PES20 and PES21 and even going back to PES18, I can now see it there, too. It's probably in earlier games, too.

As eFootball is essentially the same game engine but with Unreal gfx tacked on, it's inevitable that the same momentum scripting is at its heart. I think it's always possible to still win, you just have to battle against everything and find a tactic to overcome it - not a football tactic, a computer game tactic.
This stuff has been in the game since PES 2014. I think it's pretty amusing that some people are only starting to discover it 9 years later.

Ironically, staff were handing out flyers for Mark Watson as we left.

I won't be seeing him.
What's the irony there? Don't know Watson too well, but has Stew had a dig at him before or something? I know he's matey with Tim Key, who I think is fantastic, and remember seeing him on panel shows a decade or more ago when I half-watched them, but that's it.

Erm, this is really O/T, so let me just say: the following quote/joke (he chooses not to do jokes, of course) from Lee sort of encapsulates how I feel capitalism has slowly destroyed gaming, and in particular how Konami have turned recreation and comfort into an arena of ever-present exploitation –

What's happened is somewhere, along the line, as a society, we confused the notion of 'home' with the possibility of 'an investment opportunity'. What kind of creature wants to live in an 'investment opportunity'? Only man. The fox has his den. The bee has his hive. The stoat, has, uh... his stoat-hole... but only man chooses to make his nest in an investment opportunity. Mmm, snuggled down in the lovely credit! All warm, in the mortgage payment, mmmmm...

What's the irony there? Don't know Watson too well, but has Stew had a dig at him before or something? I know he's matey with Tim Key, who I think is fantastic, and remember seeing him on panel shows a decade or more ago when I half-watched them, but that's it.

Erm, this is really O/T, so let me just say: the following quote/joke (he chooses not to do jokes, of course) from Lee sort of encapsulates how I feel capitalism has slowly destroyed gaming, and in particular how Konami have turned recreation and comfort into an arena of ever-present exploitation –

Mark Watson was the 'star' of a particular advert...

In this state it is just random and there is no skill gap.

Skill Gap is mostly a big scam in both footy games. There's enough skill gap in a well balanced football game by default, and even if they wanted to actually increase it they would start with the fundamentals. See: Assisted Passing. The fact that they don't do that but invent gimmicks like the match up button or timed finishing in fifa should be a huge red flag that the skill gap talk is a joke.

Back
Top Bottom