FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Seems the youtube guys are implying theres more to come for career mode news that they are unable to talk about at the moment. Hope its worth the wait.

What a load of trash.....at least I found out that I don’t suffer with epilepsy watching that........it was like looking at some kind of weird kaleidoscop.......shite

The "artistic" side of the trailer didn't look that bad if you ask me. I kinda like the "cutout" effect they used with the photos and such and I kinda hope they keep it for the "artistic" part of the gaame (menus and such).

It reminded me a little about PES 2009 and I really liked the style of that UI:

Can't say I'm impressed by the gameplay, as I haven't seen any (and this says a whole lotta things).

Trailer was crap, but not really for me. I'm excited to hear about those Gameplay and CM features though.

Trailer was crap, but not really for me. I'm excited to hear about those Gameplay and CM features though.
Excited? Really? It’s going to be the same old crap. Sliders won’t fix it - we’d all still be playing FIFA 20 if that was the case.

FIFA as a single player entity is done and has been for years now.

I'd say that the gameplay issues won't be solved until they offer an option to choose between sim gameplay, and FUT gameplay. Otherwise, FUT will have the bigger influence every year.

Excited? Really? It’s going to be the same old crap. Sliders won’t fix it - we’d all still be playing FIFA 20 if that was the case.

Yeah, I am - is that okay with you? Features such as positioning personality for one, that tells me they are doing more elements towards Player ID. How could that be a bad thing? Creative runs also sounds good, and I'm curious to how they're going to implement different types of runs to give even more variety. I'm curious on how the CPU will use this as well.

They stated they have received feedback from the community and focused on revisions of the fundamentals of football. I have no problem with that. I know my feedback has been sent directly to the gameplay team as well.

I never mentioned sliders. I'm not talking about fixing a game that isn't even here yet? What are you on about? I say it every year, I hope for a game of FIFA that doesn't require sliders.

So yeah, I'm excited. If you think the game is done, then move on. I don't, so I'm still here.

Yeah, I am - is that okay with you? Features such as positioning personality for one, that tells me they are doing more elements towards Player ID. How could that be a bad thing? Creative runs also sounds good, and I'm curious to how they're going to implement different types of runs to give even more variety. I'm curious on how the CPU will use this as well.

They stated they have received feedback from the community and focused on revisions of the fundamentals of football. I have no problem with that. I know my feedback has been sent directly to the gameplay team as well.

I never mentioned sliders. I'm not talking about fixing a game that isn't even here yet? What are you on about? I say it every year, I hope for a game of FIFA that doesn't require sliders.

So yeah, I'm excited. If you think the game is done, then move on. I don't, so I'm still here.
I meant no offence, apologies for my tone in the previous post.

I just don’t see how EA are going to seriously resolve the millions of issues FIFA has from a gameplay perspective.

If they can make a game which is challenging again, doesn’t feel skatey, fixes the positioning and awful tactical defending and gives us varied AI within the matches then I’m all in. But it’s EA. They don’t care about anything other than FUT...

Floaty paper thin players would be nice to not have going fw,that with skating around plus CPU never really adjusting body position when passing with ultra fast speed is my main no go zone regarding FIFA.

I welcome the option of simming games like I do in 2k,a proper sim IF you don't feel like playing a game or two,brilliant initiative!
When playing realistic basketball (12 min qtrs) I can play first and last quarter and sim in between.
Or in this case,let's say I'm 3-0 up with 30 min to go,I can aim the rest properly,or being 3-0 down after 20 min
Or a boring/meaningless cup fixture.
I guarantee you'll use it as much as I do on 2k.
I've been wanting this for years.
The rest,fingers crossed FUT YT approves...

Well it's 7 am but that trailer put me back to sleep. I'm actually surprised I made it 40 seconds in, it was just what I expected. Tiring flashing lights and cuts, all the "cool" clips and "music" for the kiddies. Bleh.

I think a trailer or a full reveal of a game needs to give answers to your questions. At least it needs to give some insight about gameplay changes, added content, etc. They work at least a full year to develop this game. After trailers of FIFA, I have far more questions than I had before the trailer.

People bash FIFA and a lot of the criticism is justified but PES ai can’t even effectively use skilled dribbling, which FIFA does in every game. Star players really stand out on the pitch when ai controlled.

FIFA offline is great. Career mode could use a new lick of paint though. I have no doubt FIFA 21 will be good. Can't wait.👍

Pro Clubs has re-ignited my interest in FIFA. I feel like the act of controlling an individual player in a team with other similar, likewise-minded, manual control players makes up for any shortfalls in gameplay.

I think the gameplay has gone downhill ever since FIFA16 and 1v1 Seasons gameplay is barely even fun anymore, but Pro Clubs is just an exceptional mode that is easily capable of holding my interest throughout the year.

Last edited:
People bash FIFA and a lot of the criticism is justified but PES ai can’t even effectively use skilled dribbling, which FIFA does in every game. Star players really stand out on the pitch when ai controlled.
The AI in both games is terrible and has been for years now. Skilled dribbling is just icing on a sh*t cake.

The AI in both games is terrible and has been for years now. Skilled dribbling is just icing on a sh*t cake.

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to that but IMO i think you’re being extremely harsh. FIFA gets brutal criticism but PES doesn’t get nearly as much even though it’s gotten worse since pes17.

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to that but IMO i think you’re being extremely harsh. FIFA gets brutal criticism but PES doesn’t get nearly as much even though it’s gotten worse since pes17.
What does it matter that PES is awful though? This is the FIFA thread and I was simply saying that the game isn’t very good and hasn’t been for years.

I do actually agree with you in that the AI in PES is worse. But that’s not a win for FIFA - at least in PES I can’t just win every match 3-0 on the highest difficulty without breaking sweat. The CPU doesn’t know how to attack in FIFA and it’s been this way since FIFA 17 now.

I do actually agree with you in that the AI in PES is worse. But that’s not a win for FIFA - at least in PES I can’t just win every match 3-0 on the highest difficulty without breaking sweat. The CPU doesn’t know how to attack in FIFA and it’s been this way since FIFA 17 now.
(Not to defend an unreleased game, but...)

This is exactly one of the things they say will be improved in FIFA this year, although in a slightly concerning way:

"Replicating the play style of the best FIFA players in the world, the Competitor Mode setting gives your opposition a better grasp of skill moves, dribbling types, and tactics to give you a more challenging and rewarding opponent to match up with on Legendary and Ultimate difficulty."

Does that mean the harder difficulties become "skillfests" when you switch that mode on? Possibly. But if it makes it harder to beat the AI... Well, it's something. At the very least it shows they're listening.

I hold out very little hope for two reasons:

1) The new features get ripped out after release every year cos the FUT kids don't like them, and

2) It appears gameplay will be the same across current-gen and next-gen, which means core gameplay will likely be similar to 20, which I really don't like.

However... If they're actively promoting a fix for something you're complaining about, surely you can at least give the demo a go and not just keep repeating that it'll be shit.

What does it matter that PES is awful though? This is the FIFA thread and I was simply saying that the game isn’t very good and hasn’t been for years.

You’re putting words in my mouth Mikhail. I don’t think Pes is awful, it’s just gradually gotten worse in recent years and FIFA needs improvements but at least ea are trying to head in the right direction, finally .

It seems your criticism isn’t just directed at FIFA, you also appear to be aiming criticism ( albeit indirectly) at others for trying to staying positive about FIFA 21.

"Replicating the play style of the best FIFA players in the world, the Competitor Mode setting gives your opposition a better grasp of skill moves, dribbling types, and tactics to give you a more challenging and rewarding opponent to match up with on Legendary and Ultimate difficulty."

Like almost everything they've written, you can never know if it's going to be awesome or terrible. Personally I don't want to see the AI spam el tornados and rabonas and drag backs like you're playing against the harlem globetrotters! But better regular dribbling and taking people on? Sure. And what the hell is a better grasp of tactics supposed to be. Does that mean that in lower difficulties they'll not bother defending a lead? That would be terrible, lol.

I suppose my opinion will come down to this: Will the cpu be more challenging because it will be smarter in this competitor mode, or because it uses all the fut exploits and broken skill moves of the game? If it's the latter... Errrr, sorry EA but I don't want the offline AI to play like the average kid in online FUT.

Last edited:
As predicted, the trailer isn't to make 34 year-olds feel like they want to buy the game, rather 14 year-olds feel like they have to buy it.

All spin and marketing so far, but while I'm underwhelmed at what's been promised for Career Mode, I'm at least heartened by the level of attention it's been given in the build up, which is more than I expected ie none at all.

With FIFA I always feel as if any improvements - by my definition - will be by chance rather than by design. I'll wait for the demo, and then it to be changed, and changed again, and hopefully I'll enjoy the game for at least one patch cycle. Aim low!

Yeah I'd say EA is great at marketing and hyping up their releases,also searching for new markets,being more progressive.
But,for me as a strictly offline FIFA player,the games have been worse every year.
Games that I didn't like when released (17+18),I'd say they're way better from a gameplay perspective,or replicating how football is played in general than their two last games (19+20)

I think the gameplay,or to be specific how defending is dumbed down or portrayed on FIFA 20 is horrible.
Guess great defending and tactically closing down midfield and opponent's forwards is what's selling right?

When I pop in FIFA 11 in my 360 and it feels fresh and this doesn't,there's something very wrong!

Gameplay features for FIFA 21

- Agile Dribbling 🎯
- Positioning Personality 🏃💨
- Creative Runs ✨🌠
- Smoother Encounters 🧹
- Competitor Mode CPU AI 🤖
- Rework of Fundamentals like headers, passing, blocking and transitions💪

More details coming soon in August (First Week)

Gameplay features for FIFA 21

- Agile Dribbling 🎯
- Positioning Personality 🏃💨
- Creative Runs ✨🌠
- Smoother Encounters 🧹
- Competitor Mode CPU AI 🤖
- Rework of Fundamentals like headers, passing, blocking and transitions💪

More details coming soon in August (First Week)

I’ll take this over a mere “season update” any day of the week.

Last edited:
The bottom line is it’s unfair for some to brand FIFA as “Shit”. Sure it’s far from perfect but
I’ll take this over a mere “season update” any day of the week.

Every single gameplay feature introduced since fifa 17 is with the competive scene in mind. So the number of buzzwords doesn't mean anything. I don't think I've ever played a worse game than fifa 20 and there's nothing unfair about it, it's personal opinion.

But if we are just counting buzzwords then I will agree that it sounds better than a season update. At least I know it will be different, so I will give the demo a go.

Last edited:
(Not to defend an unreleased game, but...)

This is exactly one of the things they say will be improved in FIFA this year, although in a slightly concerning way:

Does that mean the harder difficulties become "skillfests" when you switch that mode on? Possibly. But if it makes it harder to beat the AI... Well, it's something. At the very least it shows they're listening.

I hold out very little hope for two reasons:

1) The new features get ripped out after release every year cos the FUT kids don't like them, and

2) It appears gameplay will be the same across current-gen and next-gen, which means core gameplay will likely be similar to 20, which I really don't like.

However... If they're actively promoting a fix for something you're complaining about, surely you can at least give the demo a go and not just keep repeating that it'll be shit.
Of course I’ll play the demo. But what will that achieve? I’ll enjoy the demo and they’ll just change the stuff I love after a week or two on full release to suit the FUT zombies.

You’re putting words in my mouth Mikhail. I don’t think Pes is awful, it’s just gradually gotten worse in recent years and FIFA needs improvements but at least ea are trying to head in the right direction, finally .

It seems your criticism isn’t just directed at FIFA, you also appear to be aiming criticism ( albeit indirectly) at others for trying to staying positive about FIFA 21.
Be positive about fifa if that’s your thing - but don’t get annoyed with people who are negative about it either. I just can’t get up for FIFA anymore because it’s the same crap year after year. I hate the frostbite engine it just doesn’t feel right with this style of game. And you’re getting protective of one game over the other where as I’m stating that I think BOTH games are shit and have been for ages. “Oh but at least fifa does this...” So that makes it ok? We’ll still have to spend £50-60 on a game which is primarily catered for kids who want to play FUT. Us single player Career Mode players will always be an afterthought.

FUT and myClub are so dominant now that it’s difficult to be excited about either game. And some will say “Use sliders!” or “Switch to FUMA for a challenge!“ but like I always say, it won’t change the AI.

I admire you all for looking forward to this but I’ve been burned far too many times before to be optimistic about football gaming now.

IF FIFA is a challenging, rewarding and deep single player experience out of the box without having to play with sliders for half a year to get it “nearly good” then I’ll eat my words. I simply don’t trust EA when it comes to giving us tiny minority a fun and deep Career Mode. My prediction is that it will be yet again a FUT focused football game with a crap Career Mode tacked on to try and appeal to the 476 people who still care about it.

The Konami and EA boards and ultimately the shareholders have the final say and they’ll look at their income streams - what makes the big money? myClub and FUT. This is why we get watered down games year after year now. Quote this post and tell me I’m a negative idiot in November time if we’re all loving FIFA 21’s Career Mode. I want to be wrong. But my prediction will be that we’re all scrambling around for the perfect sliders to make the game feel half decent for a few sessions before we all get sick of it and start moaning about it’s issues.

Last edited:
This is the FIFA thread. There is a FIFA v PES thread if you want to compare. Any more comparisons in here, and any more trolling, and I'll hand out bans. You know who you are.

Creative Runs

VgBCyKy.jpg

Creative Runs

VgBCyKy.jpg

150° angle perfect pass?

Edit: I went back to the trailer, of course a back-hill...
Actually thanks because it forced me to have a closer look at the only second of actual gameplay this trailer has. I am not really optimistic when I see the two Atletico CDMs walking like if Icardi?, Mbappe and the ball only 5 meters away from them were on TV. It looks like the same 1vs1 shit and lack of AI defensive awareness to me, exactly like 20. What is the point to have smart attackers if you have dumb sleeping AI defenders.
I hope I am wrong, please not this twice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom