FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Creative Runs

VgBCyKy.jpg

Diagonal runs? — Must be a next-gen feature!

150° angle perfect pass?

Edit: I went back to the trailer, of course a back-hill...
Actually thanks because it forced me to have a closer look at the only second of actual gameplay this trailer has. I am not really optimistic when I see the two Atletico CDMs walking like if Icardi?, Mbappe and the ball only 5 meters away from them were on TV. It looks like the same 1vs1 shit and lack of AI defensive awareness to me, exactly like 20. What is the point to have smart attackers if you have dumb sleeping AI defenders.
I hope I am wrong, please not this twice.

"FIFA 21 continues to raise the bar and bring fans the most intelligent gameplay to date with all-new dynamic attacking systems that provide more realistic and informed movements to build on the intensity of 1v1 gameplay. A range of new features brings this enhanced gameplay realism to life. Agile Dribbling puts more tools at the player's disposal when facing a defender. Positioning Personality elevates in-game intelligence to match the real-world understanding of space and time in football. Creative Runs gives players new options for off the ball moments. While the Natural Collision System utilises brand new animation systems to create smoother player interactions all over the pitch."

More details in August. We will only notice these changes by testing (Beta/demo/Release)

Last edited:
Creative Runs

VgBCyKy.jpg

Yeah, the only second of gameplay shown was absolutely dreadful stuff.

1. A nutmeg.
2. A backheel assist pass.
3. Sleepy defenders.
4. Uninterested midfielders/cdms casually hanging around further up the pitch.

In short it was fifa 20. And if this green line highlighting the run is in the game I can only take it as further evidence (it's really mounting up...) that this game is for 10 year olds now. (See this run kid? Time to smash the pass button. Don't bother facing the right way or aiming, the assistance will do the rest).

On a positive note... that looks like a high line similar to what you'd see in fifa 17 (for the last time). Doubt this will be enough, but i'm mentioning it so that I don't appear to be a 100% negative person. 😇 They advertised attackers smart enough to not run offside so I assume defenders don't track runs like idiots now, and can keep a line. I hope.

Last edited:
More details in August. We will only notice these changes by testing (Beta/demo/Release)

If by testing, you mean playing I have to disagree. I know it is a long debate, but for things such as positioning, players not tracking danger, you don't actually need to play to already know it will be bad once the controller is in your hands. I have spent countless hours lately alterning playing and watching, focusing on those things, and I can't tell you if it looks bad, it also feels bad.

These don't appear to be fake given that players are now allowed inside the area on goal kicks etc...

Last edited:
It's a shame football games don't have a decent "be a pro" mode. EA really dropped the ball with The Journey. Why would I want to play as a set character? There's zero wish fulfillment when I'm forced to play as Alex Hunter. Granted, I've probably played 20 minutes of The Journey, but being able to recreate myself would have gone a long way.

It doesn't even have to be heavily produced or linear, make it more in line with something like MLB The Show's: Road To The Show mode and I'd be very happy. Start me off with trials (I remember the older PES BAL used to have a placement match which would determine your club options based on your performance), U-23s, and then have me progress from there. Bench me if I'm playing poorly, substitute me, force me to try my hardest to cement my place in the side. I wouldn't mind if I was moved on due to a number of factors like budget constraints, the club bringing in a "better player," or a new manager coming in with a different tactical approach. Maybe the manager wants to convert me from a winger to a fullback. Hell, throw in some of the frills like boot sponsorships. There's so many things you could do. If I finally make it to a top club, it should feel like a decent accomplishment.

Unfortunately, this will never happen, but a man can dream.

And...

BEGIN ANALYSING!

Also, I'd save all these pics and clips if you want to see them in the future, because 100k have already seen the first batch of tweets I referenced earlier and EA will get them deleted any minute now.

If this guy is to be believed, yeah - but I'm not sure I believe him...

I've watched the full match and downloaded the video, lol. I think it's legit because movement seems different and there really are high lines and the beta watermark is there. But guy's an idiot playing against semi-pro AI, winning 9-0 as I type this, lol. What a waste of time.

Movement seems better but it's counter attack after counter attack, with through balls galore or over the top balls to exploit the high lines. Passing is normal fifa ping pong and there's no midfield, because why should there be one. And I don't know how it's even still possible with the high lines but there's still half a pitch of empty space between defence and midfield on transitions. But again, semi pro difficulty.

I've only watched a minute or two and players move a lot better than previous iterations. Less "papery" and loose. Not a hard feat to achieve, but still, looks nice on that end.

You think? I just came back to say, I thought it was just PES skipping a year this year... :D

Yeah okay, it's on semi-pro, which is ridiculous (as you said, @manmachine). And you can see the AI making different passes - nice gently-lobbed passes forwards on occasion, where normally it'd be a hammered low pass and a quick break. Plus - the AI had a man sent off...

But overall... I'm not seeing much difference. For a new release.

You think? I just came back to say, I thought it was just PES skipping a year this year... :D

Yeah okay, it's on semi-pro, which is ridiculous (as you said, @manmachine). And you can see the AI making different passes - nice gently-lobbed passes forwards on occasion, where normally it'd be a hammered low pass and a quick break. Plus - the AI had a man sent off...

But overall... I'm not seeing much difference. For a new release.

Difficult to say without playing, but I think so? It looks heavier in a good way. The way Sterling runs with and without the ball at around 5:25 looks a lot different (and improved) than anything I've seen in FIFA 20. VVD doesn't slide around as much when he's jockeying Aguero at 5:33. When Mane releases Firmino at 5:40, he plants his foot and there's a slight delay after he completes his pass before he can begin accelerating again. Good weight to Firmino's assist and Salah's finish. Again, this is just an eye check, but I've been playing a decent amount of FIFA 20 lately and this looks a lot better to me (in terms of movement and weight).

I will never for the life of me understand why if EA aren't going to let us select goal keeper kits, they don't at least make them as neutral as possible.

How many keeper kits insist on being red or blue therefore clashing with most home kits in the game?

Also watching someone else play FIFA is like watching your own mum give birth. I'd rather wait until I have my own demo and at least try and play football the way it's supposed to played rather than these impatient sprinty kids trying to make me sit through their blitzball.

Sometimes there are 3-4 liverpool players AHEAD of the defenders running towards goal, and the City defenders DON'T RUN to catch up, but just walk/jog. lol. So either the defending is horrendous once again or the game is currently broken/still under dev or it's down to the semi pro AI.

Its FIFA 17 again, simple reskin menus and gameplay wise, those small details that have changed, its a shame to call it a new game, we all knew this in advance this would be the case
Fifa on Frostbite has no potential IMO
Ball and players still seem weightless to me in FIFA, most annoying thing about the gameplay

Video has been taken down already - hope someone managed to download a higher quality version than I could get (380p)...

Back
Top Bottom