FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Not sure if you watch TTB's videos, but he just had an episode a couple days ago where he switched to constant pressure, and realized it was a bad mistake. His team was depleted for the next match and depth was tested quite a bit.
And is that a bad thing? That he had learn a lesson, play more tactically and struggle a bit?

Also - my point was much wider than this specific example, Matt.
I have played many Career Mode seasons in recent Fifas and after a short while you have a team of superheroes. All arrows up, +6 boosts to stats, smiley faces everywhere. The game rarely force you to make any changes in the squad.
Stamina (which is broke with sliders for years now) is normally the only thing that would push me to bring in the subs.
I said that "Im always getting mad" when I see these things, because I wasnt just referring to this particular change in this particular patch.
My point was that from the get go they are always chipping away on stuff that makes the game more realistic.
Injuries, randomness, stamina, fouls, yellow cards.
Anything, just to make the game into non-stop action, without pauses.

And is that a bad thing? That he had learn a lesson, play more tactically and struggle a bit?

Also - my point was much wider than this specific example, Matt.
I have played many Career Mode seasons in recent Fifas and after a short while you have a team of superheroes. All arrows up, +6 boosts to stats, smiley faces everywhere. The game rarely force you to make any changes in the squad.
Stamina (which is broke with sliders for years now) is normally the only thing that would push me to bring in the subs.
I said that "Im always getting mad" when I see these things, because I wasnt just referring to this particular change in this particular patch.
My point was that from the get go they are always chipping away on stuff that makes the game more realistic.
Injuries, randomness, stamina, fouls, yellow cards.
Anything, just to make the game into non-stop action, without pauses.
I just meant it was a bad thing for his team management because he didn't anticipate that kind of stamina depletion. This was pre-patch as well, so what's happened post-patch remains to be seen. I think a bump in acceleration can offset the reduction in stamina effectiveness regardless.

The good thing what you mentioned about injuries, etc, that all still happens. Giving credit where it's due, the game has a lot more of that than ever before I feel. I used to jump to the match stats after every match to count how many fouls, and now it's not even a care in the world. I actually am researching injury settings, and that's all I'm looking for at this point.

All in all, imho, post-patch FIFA is in a good spot for those that have been enjoying it before.

How can anyone defend it, seriously. (When even the defenders can't.)

I've got to ask so that I can't be accused of just being a hater (despite owning the game and seeing this happen on World Class and Legendary); what difficulty is that on?
The only reason I come back to the thread is because I own it too and I do check it out every update to see what's changed in the hope it's improving. At the moment I can barely make it through a game though :BORED:

I'm trying to like this game but I just can't. I've played footy games since the 80's and this isn't enjoyable for many reasons. They have the licences though right........

Nope, some white powder from Medellin + some herbs from Kingston.

No joke, even i a D5 Germany would have did something better, you don't seems to watch what's wrong here.
The def AI, completely lost and ultra slow, like if it was an open bar for you to score a goal (On World Class... Looks like a bug but no : that's FIFA 23)

Last edited:
Nope, some white powder from Medellin + some herbs from Kingston.

No joke, even i a D5 Germany would have did something better, you don't seems to watch what's wrong here.
The def AI, completely lost and ultra slow, like if it was an open bar for you to score a goal (On World Class... Looks like a bug but no : that's FIFA 23)
Are you responding to me?

I asked the question because I've seen that behavior on lower acceleration, another reason our OS sliders went away from under 50 acceleration, as it hurts response/reaction from players overall. Paired up with a lower sprint, and they just don't stay engaged long enough to know what's around them.

Not responding at you at pretty seriously lol don't take it bad mate. Just the "it is" makes me jump on the train of "priorities", sorry.
But i admit that there's absolutely no movement, and you asked something like the situation was normal.

I was a bit confused to be honest lol, but absolutely no offence, contrary to certain people think, i ask serious question and not a troller, like in the Frostbite tool.
Just that it tilted me a bit to see an awful AI behaviour and what you're asking is if it's a combo with the controller yes, and i agree to not posting if it's to say the same a everyone...
But i was a bit surprised, you which are fully focused on AI. Even if he says Yes, there's absolutely nothing directly relative to sliders, i don't see what's the behaviour of the whole defence as to do with it.

You feel more "open minded" with that 2023 version, and seems to accept a bit too much weird stuffs.
I believe you did the same with another FIFA where sliders are functioning pretty well, like the 15. I tend to understand don't worry, it's a passion, your dedication. I'm with you on it.

Mine is database and players representation (in PES at least), basic info like height/weight etc. i got 5000 noted players on an excel file which were wrong. I stopped to took note about it since EFootball : i don't care if you can't modify, edit, or having a good game to follow to make research.

Not responding at you at pretty seriously lol don't take it bad mate. Just the "it is" makes me jump on the train of "priorities", sorry.
But i admit that there's absolutely no movement, and you asked something like the situation was normal.

I was a bit confused to be honest lol, but absolutely no offence, contrary to certain people think, i ask serious question and not a troller, like in the Frostbite tool.
Just that it tilted me a bit to see an awful AI behaviour and what you're asking is if it's a combo with the controller yes, and i agree to not posting if it's to say the same a everyone...
But i was a bit surprised, you which are fully focused on AI. Even if he says Yes, there's absolutely nothing directly relative to sliders, i don't see what's the behaviour of the whole defence as to do with it.

You feel more "open minded" with that 2023 version, and seems to accept a bit too much weird stuffs.
I believe you did the same with another FIFA where sliders are functioning pretty well, like the 15. I tend to understand don't worry, it's a passion, your dedication. I'm with you on it.

Mine is database and players representation (in PES at least), basic info like height/weight etc. i got 5000 noted players on an excel file which were wrong. I stopped to took note about it since EFootball : i don't care if you can't modify, edit, or having a good game to follow to make research.
I wasn't offended or anything. I just wanted clarification on what you meant about "...you don't seem to watch what's wrong here", as if I'm oblivious to the downfalls of the game.

You have to understand I'm in full-on slider mode right now, so viewing animations and behavior, I'm just analyzing certain sequences. There's no need to be surprised. I wasn't defending it at all. I just asked out of curiosity of what the values were, in the same way that Chris had asked what difficulty. Nothing more, nothing less.

For me, that type of animation sequence can be improved to the point it is not consistent. While it's true "it's FIFA 23", it's FIFA 23 if you choose to play default everything.

Just to be clear, I'm not passionate about sliders or trying to figure out FIFA. It's done out of necessity because the core gameplay needs work. What's different is that how much work exactly is needed - and at what level of out-of-the-box thinking is needed.

I've said it for years if EA figures out the base gameplay next year, and sliders aren't needed - great, I'd love that. Saves me time and I could actually start a career mode for more than a season. Unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen. The last time I felt default FIFA was good enough was post-patch FIFA 19 for a little while.

You have to understand I'm in full-on slider mode right now
That's what i understood, but didn't maked the link directly (i should've).

And i agree about "no sliders", i was editing each year PES, but if there was for example Bundesliga and they would have given the choice to "erase" PLA, PAS and OLA team, i'll be the most happy. But i would concentrate on what's bother me the most instead of creating : correcting errors in game.

Like you, even if, supposing that the next version doesn't need sliders, you will try to improve it. It's not a work, it's something we got the choose to do and get acknowledge about it, to do so it's a bit like a passion, even a duty.
But also, in my case, i would start a career too directly, but i will work on the edition in the same time. I suppose you would do the same.

Didn't tried the 23, but i hope it's not like the 21 when you said that there's nothing to do. And sliders are working better.

Edit:

Also one thing, they should add a slider for agility while turning to me. Then i would perhaps retrieve a "playable" Fifa (to me) with sliders. This year, vids (without sliders and with, also with frosbite mods etc.) and i really didn't liked. Not only the game vanilla is WTF, but with mods it transforms it into something streched and not natural.

A bit less weird and more acceptable watching vids with sliders than mods : those Frostbite mods, i don't troll or mock to hard people work, but if you're surrounded by Yesman... Needs some critics because you may work very hard and it will gives very good results, and the same but bad results.
You got the right to be negative if the guy claim that his tool resolve everything and you see just after a Beta PES 2014 similar (sincerely, that's exactly the image which came to my mind, no mockery).

That's what i wanted to say before having the time to express myself. I also did some long stuffs during months and with the recoil i don't found it exceptionnal. Was on i don't know which version of PES, 17 first and 19 later. But when i restart my PS4 and check what i did on PES 21, now i'm satisfied and a bit proud.

Last edited:
The game is all over the place with and without sliders. It’s horrible.

Everything just looks and feels so unnatural. It’s up there as one of the worst Frostbite FIFA games, it gives me no joy whatsoever.

I’m playing FIFA 22 with gameplay and graphics mods and it’s scratching the itch for now.

Are you responding to me?

I asked the question because I've seen that behavior on lower acceleration, another reason our OS sliders went away from under 50 acceleration, as it hurts response/reaction from players overall. Paired up with a lower sprint, and they just don't stay engaged long enough to know what's around them.

is this on a low sprint + acceleration?
Sprint and acceleration = 50 (CPU/User)

I play career mode and that AI clean tackling is absolut bullshit... They rush straight toi my players and make slide tackling behind and no foul!!! This is worst than FIFA 22...

Hi! Can anybody tell me. I play fifa 23 on Playstation 4 and those new updates are only Playstation 5, is that true? So no updates on Playstation 4 anymore??

This game is awful. Which makes me wonder what EA Sport 2024 or whatever it’s called will include and by that I mean:

- Frostbite? They still going to use this half assed engine?

- Career Mode? Why would EA even bother at this point? It doesn’t make money.

- And if there’s no Career Mode, will EA Sport 2024 be F2P, like eFootball?

- Is Hypermotion technology something EA have invested in for the long term? Because it’s fundamentally broken hence why we have to make wonky sliders set to 51 for acceleration so there’s less goals. Plus all the other weird stuff that happens with it.

This game is awful. Which makes me wonder what EA Sport 2024 or whatever it’s called will include and by that I mean:

- Frostbite? They still going to use this half assed engine?

- Career Mode? Why would EA even bother at this point? It doesn’t make money.

- And if there’s no Career Mode, will EA Sport 2024 be F2P, like eFootball?

- Is Hypermotion technology something EA have invested in for the long term? Because it’s fundamentally broken hence why we have to make wonky sliders set to 51 for acceleration so there’s less goals. Plus all the other weird stuff that happens with it.

Hypermotion isn't necessarily the issue, it's the 1v1 defending concept that has been employed. In theory, 1v1 defending makes sense, but not the way it's executed by EA. As a coach, if I tell my U9 boys to step forward when the ball is in their zone, that's now a 1v1 defending position - but it doesn't work to be an effective defensive position if the other defensive players aren't aligned to block off the passing lanes, or prepare for their 1v1 moment by being on their toes rather than FIFA's animation of standing idle until selected.

That's the issue that EA have, theory vs execution. They showed the real match simulations of what the hypermotion was built off of, but for some reason the film/data shows what players should look like in anticipation. Pair that up with the preference of FUT players to have no sense of "AI defending", the execution didn't even matter. This is why we have players standing around instead of being engaged.

Also, for our OS sliders approach, 51 acceleration isn't to combat hypermotion issues, that's a legacy issue of FIFA even in the Ignite era. DAA, or defensive angle animation, has been around since FIFA 16 when players could easily be bypassed (bursting) with the slight movement (or sometimes no movement) of the analog stick. It's mainly an issue on World Class, which is why we've adjusted it to 51/55 to give the CPU more chances to recover.

I agree though, I'd like to see something away from Frostbite. I just have no idea what, and I wouldn't be surprised if the legacy issues come with. If FIFA keep up with their creator network, I think Career Mode will be safe considering there are a lot of creators that still produce that content.

Hypermotion isn't necessarily the issue, it's the 1v1 defending concept that has been employed. In theory, 1v1 defending makes sense, but not the way it's executed by EA. As a coach, if I tell my U9 boys to step forward when the ball is in their zone, that's now a 1v1 defending position - but it doesn't work to be an effective defensive position if the other defensive players aren't aligned to block off the passing lanes, or prepare for their 1v1 moment by being on their toes rather than FIFA's animation of standing idle until selected.

That's the issue that EA have, theory vs execution. They showed the real match simulations of what the hypermotion was built off of, but for some reason the film/data shows what players should look like in anticipation. Pair that up with the preference of FUT players to have no sense of "AI defending", the execution didn't even matter. This is why we have players standing around instead of being engaged.

Also, for our OS sliders approach, 51 acceleration isn't to combat hypermotion issues, that's a legacy issue of FIFA even in the Ignite era. DAA, or defensive angle animation, has been around since FIFA 16 when players could easily be bypassed (bursting) with the slight movement (or sometimes no movement) of the analog stick. It's mainly an issue on World Class, which is why we've adjusted it to 51/55 to give the CPU more chances to recover.

I agree though, I'd like to see something away from Frostbite. I just have no idea what, and I wouldn't be surprised if the legacy issues come with. If FIFA keep up with their creator network, I think Career Mode will be safe considering there are a lot of creators that still produce that content.
Thanks for the detailed reply Matt, you raise some great points. Why do you think EA introduced 1v1 defending? Was it to increase the amount of goals in FUT?

I still scratch my head over this, there was no need to introduce it. FIFA was in a pretty good place and yet they messed with it.

Thanks for the detailed reply Matt, you raise some great points. Why do you think EA introduced 1v1 defending? Was it to increase the amount of goals in FUT?

I still scratch my head over this, there was no need to introduce it. FIFA was in a pretty good place and yet they messed with it.
It's so bizarre honestly, but if you watch any FUT stream, you'd realize it's a completely different language. I have been in there and just have absolutely no idea what they're talking about - nor do I recognize any form of football being played. They complain about the strangest things. I remember when AI defending was the topic, and I thought, maybe they mean it if they don't want the CPU teammates to tackle for them? No, they don't even want the teammate AI to even move into the proper positions. They want to control everything. This is how the "skill gap" is created. Such a terrible word as well.

It's just me or the CPU in this game almost doesn't foul in front of their own penalty area?

Ignite had potential, at least it was created for football game.

I still enjoy FIFA 22 personally too.
Very good game on PC with mods. I enjoyed it a lot on PS5 until they patched it.

I’ve got a Middlesbrough career going with turf, gameplay and realistic transfers mods and it’s incredibly enjoyable.

I’ve given up on FIFA 23 on console but might take a look at the PC version as I’ve got a 10 hour trial to start.

I think football gaming is better on PC for us single players as the mods can turn bad games into enjoyable ones.

Back
Top Bottom