FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

- Frostbite? They still going to use this half assed engine?

- Career Mode? Why would EA even bother at this point? It doesn’t make money.

- And if there’s no Career Mode, will EA Sport 2024 be F2P, like eFootball?

- Is Hypermotion technology something EA have invested in for the long term? Because it’s fundamentally broken hence why we have to make wonky sliders set to 51 for acceleration so there’s less goals. Plus all the other weird stuff that happens with it.
Maybe some mode will be free, but the model will continue to be Premium (paid).

Anyone else think this update Is a bit mad , feels like there's so many little deflections. Had 3 games now and I don't know if I love it or hate it

Anyone else think this update Is a bit mad , feels like there's so many little deflections. Had 3 games now and I don't know if I love it or hate it

The update feels like everything has been paced up. I see what you mean about deflections and I think I quite prefer it over the ball glued to the feet, but sometimes deflections feel wilde, like if the ball physics is completely over the place.
I think defense positioning has been improved and teammates defending reactions too. I find my teammates are more usefull and easyier to select correctly (I always wandered how can you make a game designed around 1vs1 and at the same time having such a poor player switching mechanic). I have see a lot of over the haed kick which is a bit concerning. And that pace... I think it is too much.

Last edited:
The update feels like everything has been paced up. I see what you mean about deflections and I think I quite prefer it over the ball glued to the feet, but sometimes deflections feel wilde, like if the ball physics is comppletely over the place.
I think defense positioning has been improved and teammates defending reactions too. I find my teammates are more usefull and easyier to select correctly. I have see a lot of over the haed kick which is a bit concerning. And that pace... I think it is too much.
Yeah I’m on slow , used to have accel at 51 to stop the defenders switching off but I’ve knocked it down to 47 and I think the cb jockey is sorted now. I’m at 47 acccel, pass 32 and sprint at 13 ..plays really varied I quite like it ..keepers feel more solid too

Posted this on Twitter earlier, but just absolutely loved these sequence of plays.

First, already up 1-0, managed to break free of the early pressure from the CPU. Decided to go on a run as I couldn't find my striker, the defender absolutely draped over me, and eventually gave up the pen and red card for tugging on the shirt.

Absolutely bizarre and random, but I love it. My big CDM collects the deflection and tries some mini scissor volley, terrible contact, backspins, keeper too calm but woeful - ball goes in under the crossbar for 3-0.

Last goal, this time for the CPU. I fell asleep defensively and let my CB get out of position. CPU took advantage, and what a lovely side footed finish.

-----

Anyway, that's my videos for the day. Hope those who are enjoying the game are still enjoying it. It's honestly brilliant and I can't put it down right now.

Last goal, this time for the CPU. I fell asleep defensively and let my CB get out of position. CPU took advantage, and what a lovely side footed finish.

-----

Anyway, that's my videos for the day. Hope those who are enjoying the game are still enjoying it. It's honestly brilliant and I can't put it down right now.
Why are the players so hyped though, they have already lost the match :CONF:PES had this right ages ago but then they somehow messed it up again near the end of the franchise with players celebrating last minute goals where there was no chance of winning.

Why are the players so hyped though, they have already lost the match :CONF:PES had this right ages ago but then they somehow messed it up again near the end of the franchise with players celebrating last minute goals where there was no chance of winning.
Well yeah, I mentioned that in my tweet. I wished the striker had grabbed the ball out of the net and run back to the center circle. It's a give and take with FIFA. For me, it's giving a lot, so I can excuse those ones.

Without exaggerating at all, I've purchased FIFA '23 like many others because of the licenses (new offline modes like WC 2022 / woman's leagues), snowy weather, those awesome enhanced nets, and the top notch presentation where FIFA always succeeded. That said, I didn't had any other particular reason to play this game besides those mentioned facts, because I knew already the gameplay will be somewhat "pants"...

Well, even if I think in those positive aspects mentioned, every time when I play FIFA 23 feels like I'm deeply struggling to finish a match, and I'm very disappointed (even if it's the last FIFA game). Don't know why, but I just can't stand the fact that players are moving on the field with those "noodle legs": you can see them turning like that or dribbling in that way juggling the ball, sprinting with their knees bent to the ground, and mainly the game being focused on the "ball advantage" factor for both sides like in a basketball game from defense directly to attack excluding the midfield completely, like those players are there just for the "...intercept the ball if you can!!!" moments.

I was trying so hard to ignore all those things but it's just impossible, especially if I want to play FIFA 23 after some PES 2021 session... I just' can't. Don't know how a game with Hypermotion 2 with thousands of animations can't have implemented basic natural animations right like moving, dribbling or sprinting. It's just mind boggling that nobody on the development team tried to prioritize those basic adjustments to have a more decent football depiction on the field, not to mention that the overall speed is just hilarious... It's like the red team is trying to plant the bomb on the blue team, and vice versa (like some capture the flag mode).

100%. This is EXACTLY why we will never evolve past FIFA 16/PES 21.

EA and Konami are both more successful than ever with footy titles that are more unrealistic than ever.
I just read today that Konami only made half of their expected profits. Still a profit of course, but not as much as they had hoped. Doubt this will change anything though, as it might just mean more marketing nonsense

Is it just me or does the AI push your back line up to the halfway line too much, even on balanced / defensive settings?

And don't get me started on rebounds & 50/50's constantly going against you.

Is it just me or does the AI push your back line up to the halfway line too much, even on balanced / defensive settings?

And don't get me started on rebounds & 50/50's constantly going against you.
I don't know the deep dive details, but I do feel it's a little more difficult in WC. I don't seem to be able to have as many shots as I used to

I just read today that Konami only made half of their expected profits. Still a profit of course, but not as much as they had hoped. Doubt this will change anything though, as it might just mean more marketing nonsense
That's likely because Konami are as dumb AF. It's not like they've had a good read on the market for 15+ years. Their lootbox sham is just another twist of FIFA's FUT but with an added 'the Ukrainian flag meets a pile of vomit after eating eight packets of Starburst' color system to hide the fact it's got piss poor options for gameplay with no depth and no offline modes except one of the most limited demo game options since footy games were first developed and it's barely changed 2 years since release.

FIFA 23 is basketball on ice with random superpowers. I played FIFA 18 on the Series X a chunk last week and that game is light-years ahead in terms of animation smoothness and you can play the game well with default sliders (other than 'run frequency' which needs the usual reduction) and enjoy the game. The Operation Sports guys didn't have to make too many adjutments to the FIFA 18 sliders because the core was pretty solid. EA should have paid Matt and the guys for salvaging FIFA 22 with their sliders which look like random lottery numbers but actually rescued playability out of it.

FIFA 23 (minus the shit animations and skating) had some promise I believe but with every update it feels like they're trying to force you into adopting the 'you score, they score' approach and abandon the way you've traditionally tried to play the games prior to 20. The player collision models are almost as bad as the original eFootball title and tackling feels like firing a missile in Team Sonic Racing than actually using any skill.

EA have worked out they don't need to pay X millions for the FIFA license, they can make more money from 10-year olds who want 6 Messis in their team than what any authenticity was the prime draw before.

All this money and they still can't make a proper football game and hire programmers for pennies.
I've just got pes21 on steam deck and modded it. I haven't played fifa for 2 weeks now. Not a comparison, my point is if Modders can make a great game EA certainly could and probably even better they just choose not to

That's likely because Konami are as dumb AF. It's not like they've had a good read on the market for 15+ years. Their lootbox sham is just another twist of FIFA's FUT but with an added 'the Ukrainian flag meets a pile of vomit after eating eight packets of Starburst' color system to hide the fact it's got piss poor options for gameplay with no depth and no offline modes except one of the most limited demo game options since footy games were first developed and it's barely changed 2 years since release.

FIFA 23 is basketball on ice with random superpowers. I played FIFA 18 on the Series X a chunk last week and that game is light-years ahead in terms of animation smoothness and you can play the game well with default sliders (other than 'run frequency' which needs the usual reduction) and enjoy the game. The Operation Sports guys didn't have to make too many adjutments to the FIFA 18 sliders because the core was pretty solid. EA should have paid Matt and the guys for salvaging FIFA 22 with their sliders which look like random lottery numbers but actually rescued playability out of it.

FIFA 23 (minus the shit animations and skating) had some promise I believe but with every update it feels like they're trying to force you into adopting the 'you score, they score' approach and abandon the way you've traditionally tried to play the games prior to 20. The player collision models are almost as bad as the original eFootball title and tackling feels like firing a missile in Team Sonic Racing than actually using any skill.

EA have worked out they don't need to pay X millions for the FIFA license, they can make more money from 10-year olds who want 6 Messis in their team than what any authenticity was the prime draw before.

Fifa 23 has same problem than Pes serial. CPU don't make fouls. I only play Career mode and i have games where CPU don't make any fouls, all tackling are clean?? :THINK: I play ps4..

Fifa 23 is brill. Had loads of fun playing it.
Hard disagree. The beauty of opinions...

I've been playing it this week, quite a lot. I'm desperate to love it. Desperate. And I nearly do.

In the Career Mode, some of the training drills feel really, really good. I'm almost convinced they use different rules and/or physics, especially the ones that force a version of the "trainer" graphics on, which shows you the path of your passes/shots.

Some of the things I've seen in those drills are incredible. The weight of passes, of shots, the variety of outcomes, the lack of magic magnets and ball-through-chest moments. Keepers tipping the ball onto the crossbar and flapping to get it away... Beautiful.

But then I play a match and no matter what I do, the AI just hits three passes from defence to attack over and over, and it's so PAINFULLY boring. IMO. (Almost as boring as this post if you happen to like the game, granted.)

If the AI (for both teams) just defended like it knew what defending was, if the AI JUST marked properly and covered passing lanes so either side had to actually think about anything they did... It'd be amazing.

As it is, the "marking" slider only seems to affect the chosen 1v1 player and nobody else, meaning braindead mannequins everywhere else - and the only thing that keeps the score down for me is the shot error (last game, 12 shots to 22 in a five-minute-halves match). Really horrible and unsalvageable experience. In my experience. (Just saying, for discussion purposes. No trolling. Hence why I'm explaining myself...)

Also, this stuff is important to me. I don't know how anyone accepts FIFA's Hypermotion system as "progress" - or indeed how EA can defend it, even from a "playability" point of view. And Hypermotion will be with us forever.

It's not even about how silly it looks - it's how fast, impossibly responsive and unrealistic it feels. It boggles my mind that anyone can live with this - the days of Sensi Soccer are supposed to be over.

Also, this stuff is important to me. I don't know how anyone accepts FIFA's Hypermotion system as "progress" - or indeed how EA can defend it, even from a "playability" point of view. And Hypermotion will be with us forever.

It's not even about how silly it looks - it's how fast, impossibly responsive and unrealistic it feels. It boggles my mind that anyone can live with this - the days of Sensi Soccer are supposed to be over.

The dribbling animations and sliding are definitely the worst part of FIFA 23. They are missing so many transitional animation frames especially for a company like EA.

Back
Top Bottom