[General Discussion] What have you been playing this week?

Back to playing V-Rising after the Gloomrot update.
Forgot just how good the game is, the levelling up and boss battles are some of the best around as each boss is very unique and challenging.

Out of all the online RPG type games played this is the best of the lot as fair as far as progression goes and amount of unique challenges.

This is now the 2nd time of playing through the game and still just as good 2nd time around.

I would recommend anyone with a group of mates to try it, although might not be for everyone being in a 3D isomatric view.
But it is right up there and IMO overall slightly better than Valheim - Just because the grind in Valheim is a chore.

Tell me more about it, coz I installed Hitman Trillogy, played two story mode missions and found it boring and clunky as fuck.
twZSSst.gif

It's been ever such a long time since a game gave me quite an incredible feeling
You will definetely enjoy Deliver Us Mars also! The whole atmosphere of mystery and "Awe" is still there and at times - its much more touching story.

@Tom - I dont get how, after so many years, the whole locomotion mechanics is exactly the same as it was few console generations ago. Its still awkward to get into cover, shoot and move around. Climbing/vaulting is very strict and you can only climb specific parts of the environment, while having exact same unclimbable things nearby. Plus - it looks like they downgraded blood splatters and ragdoll physics. In general - 👎

You will definetely enjoy Deliver Us Mars also! The whole atmosphere of mystery and "Awe" is still there and at times - its much more touching story.
I've very excited about moving on to this one. As much as I quite like the protagonist of Moon being silent and faceless and serving as more of an avatar for us the player, I'm looking forward to what I feel will be more of a conventional story with a more realized character.

Tell me more about it, coz I installed Hitman Trillogy, played two story mode missions and found it boring and clunky as fuck.
Maybe this freelancer will work..
I was beginning to write a 3 part essay to answer your question but I will try to condense it. I will speak of the whole Hitman World of assassination package from now on.
It is an intensely deliberate game. You have to think many moves ahead. Plot your kills and how you are getting away. Silenced pistols and Sniper rifles are basically the only usable guns. You never want to get into a firefight because that means you have failed and will most likely die.
The story is just a prologue to this game, it is all about playing the levels again and again. Different kills bring different rewards. But on your way to Freelancer it should be enough to just play through the story once. And you do have to do that because you will stand absolutely no chance if you don't (and they might actually lock the access unless you finish the story).
Alongside the story you get into the Elusive targets. Same maps as the story but different targets and sometimes a little somthing to spice things up, different time of day or the map has been taken over by a movie production, etc. These you can not save and the moment you kill a target or do an additional objective, your can't retry it. Now things get a bit intense but this is really the way to play the game. Saving in Hitman is for wusses. I said what I said. And you better forget about saving altogether because after the story and a couple of elusive targets it's time for Freelancer. This is the mode which makes the hard men like me who think saving is for wusses, cry.
I am kidding, of course, I am not that hard. but Hitman Freelancer is. And it has been close to making me cry. 18 missions and you can not fail a single one of them (you can fail one, but it makes it extra hard to finish after that - also there are special missions you can't fail - it's a whole thing)! It is very different from the main game, you get currency for completing objectives which you can spend in missions to buy weapons. You also level up, no matter how you do (which is good because at the start you will do badly) and that unlocks stuff like home decor for your absurdly lavish home base and also extra room to carry items and weapons into missions. The "story" is about some weird secret cabal or something that runs the world behind the scenes and you have to kill all of them. It's basically the main story without any twists.
I don't think I can go much further without having to change that "condensed" thing I said at the start. But I love this game. It has had missteps, I think the whole Seven Deadly Sins DLC is not very good. But it is so fun and cleverly funny, not only with all the hilarious kills you can make (again, guns are not really the way to go) but also just simple stuff like letting you dress up as a fashion icon at a big fashion show and actually walk the catwalk without anyone raising an eyebrow. Another mission has you infiltrating a band as their new drummer. Does agent 47's cover get blown when he sits down behind the drums? No he bloody well beats them like he's been playing drums all his life. And then he kills the singer.
Both these examples are entirely optional and easy to miss and the game is filled to the brim with them.
It's a game which is extremely rewarding, but it does demand a lot of time.

I have owned previous generation of consoles and have never tracked any achievements or trophies. Surprisingly, today I got my first platinum trophy. Did not expected it to be for a game I originally was never interested in. Now hopefully I can start Diablo 4, but I have to say Sekiro has been an incredibly enjoyable experience. I'm hoping to do the gauntlets of strength to keep my parrying timing on point.

Final Fistbump Video

Screenshot_20230616-134714.png

Last edited:
I have owned previous generation of consoles and have never tracked any achievements or trophies. Surprisingly, today I got my first platinum trophy. Did not expected it to be for a game I originally was never interested in. Now hopefully I can start Diablo 4, but I have to say Sekiro has been an incredibly enjoyable experience. I'm hoping to do the gauntlets of strength to keep my parrying timing on point.

Final Fistbump

View attachment 220571
Oh holy fuck, platinum on Sekiro out of all the games. Fair play, bud. Serious respect.

Dead Island 2 (for PC) nice game but stuck in the movie studios because of a bug...
WWE 2K23 and NBA 2K23 both on my series X.

Just purchased Age of Empires 4! :BSCARF:
As a massive strategy fan, I'm very excited about this one! (it's 40% discount on steam, valid until the 19th of June)! :TU:

I played it and liked it so let me know how you feel about it. I hadn't played AoE2 since who knows when but this one felt very similar to what I remember. Need to get back to this and I have an eye on company of heroes 3 as well, just waiting for a price drop

@el niche AoE4 definitely has a very old school feel, which is a great thing! I've really liked it so far. As a fan of traditional AoE2 gameplay, this doesn't feel at all like they reinvented the wheel, the gaming itself is very streamlined and direct which is awesome, but in the end I feel like the upgrades don't take away anything from what we grew up loving playing AoE2! The only downside for now, is that there is a lack of personalized campaigns YET. But I am sure that with time, the community will come up with some great campaigns (it is my favorite style of AoE gaming, as it follows a story), and we will be able to find great civilizations to play with in campaign mode!! I love downloading the custom made campaigns, like for example the Korean 3-kingdoms one!! :TU:

As a huge fan of classic city builders, I recently bought this one on steam! Citystate II! @el niche You should definitely check this one out, dude (as I know you love city builders too). I wasn't a huge fan of skylines (even though I am looking forward to the latest one), because it seemed to me like it was more of a "perfect city simulator", without the grittiness that characterized simcity 3 and 4! Citystate II, on the other hand, has all of the grittiness of the classic titles, you can attempt to create a Utopia AND a Dystopia, and it has a great twist to it: It has politics and political philosophy involved! I've ONLY just started playing this last night, but I am VERY pleasantly surprised so far, I think it's a more modern take of Simcity 4 (it has the same zoning style). it really reminds me a lot of the game! The maps are HUGE, there are a lot of options, and I feel like I am just scratching the surface!! Can't believe I just discovered this till now.

Last edited:
You'll adore this if you're a fan of Alien Isolation, it's probably the next best thing released after AI to resemble its mechanics of how the monster acts and works. Frictional Games surely know how to nail atmosphere and immersion. Thankfully, it's also way shorter than AI. Can't say no to a poop snack to drag me away from Zelda :D
I started this last night. I am currently stuck in a series of underground rooms. The moment when a bomb drops and shakes the place, i jump out of my skin.
I also keep hearing something down there in the distance. I haven't seen anything yet, but get the feeling i may not be alone down there.
Although warfare is happening it does feel quite isolated. :TU:

Reactions: Tom
Fair play to you giys playing it. I watched trailer and a bit of a review and I thought
- yeah.... fuck that....
Horror games are very much not my thing.
I forgot to mention, you find this wind up torch (its noisy). Then the game gives the info of being careful not to make too much noise. I just know that's bad news. Every time i use it, i am just expecting something to be there.

2 PS5 games I've been interchanging with are Ghost of Tshuima and Kena Bridge of Spirits.

I'm not usually keen on open-world games but I think these are two of the best in regards to giving you maps that aren't too much of a boring pain in the arse to traverse and there's an incentive to discover things because they greatly enhance your character and abilities. They're beautiful games with immersive sights and sounds.

My main beef with them however and it's a peeve of mine in most fast-paced Arkham-style combat games, is the camera.

It's horrible in Kena and has wasted so much of my time restarting boss fights because of the shitty camera and enemy locking that I had to drop it to easly because I got so fed up with having my time wasted. The challenge is fun but when it comes at the cost of lousy mechanics then i am not dignifying that.

Tshuima isn't anywhere near as bad but it does also have its frustrating elements. The game thinks it's being helpful by auto-locking the camera to this isometric viewpoint which is fine when it's just one enemy, but when it's multiple, you get hit by ones you can't see off camera or when you fix the camera to where you want it, the game automatically moves it back to where thinks it benefits you.

Argh Fuck off, let me manage my own damn camera I know what i'm doing!

Regarding Amnesia the Bunker

@Tom

Last night i spent well over an hour searching the rooms with my flashlight (for what i thought was a key to the padlocked door).
After moving boxes trying to block the holes in the wall (after the soldier was dragged away) then searching everywhere, i eventually gave up, and went to YT for the walkthrough... How stupid did i feel when the guy just shoots the padlock off. :WHISTLE::ROLL:

Crusader Kings III. I had buy it on steam summer sale with 50% discount. But it is so funny and aslo not funny.

One of my born boy is dead at some month age. I had became messages he don't eat and is crying every time. RIP Hodolfr.... 🥺 (I play as a ficitous viking) 🙃

1688261820201.png

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/23487/Prince_Of_Persia_Franchise/

As a HUGE fan of the Prince of Persia Franchise (old school for 8-16 bit as well as the more recent games), I was stoked to see this pack with an 82% discount on steam! Just purchased it!

Includes: :BSCARF:
  • Prince of Persia
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

View attachment 222477

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/23487/Prince_Of_Persia_Franchise/

As a HUGE fan of the Prince of Persia Franchise (old school for 8-16 bit as well as the more recent games), I was stoked to see this pack with an 82% discount on steam! Just purchased it!

Includes: :BSCARF:
  • Prince of Persia
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

The POP from 2008 remake and Forgotten Sands were meh at its best, but the trilogy released before SOT, WW and TTT were sick in everything: story, graphics, sountrack, ambience, mechanics. WW had some third perspective combat mechanics too advanced for its time and still one of the best implemented ever:

The prince was literally doing parkour manipulating time when not in combat, and breakdancing wiping the floor with everybody during those fighting scenes...

I've only played Sands of Time and Warrior Within, but still looking forward to the others. :) I do know that the 2008 remake wasn't that well received, but I'm planning on playing them in order. I think that getting the entire pack for 6-7 bucks was a massively good deal, though! :TU:

What I'm into right now is this game, that I had it in my Steam Library for 8 years, but for an unknown reason didn't played it until now...

The POP from 2008 remake and Forgotten Sands were meh at its best, but the trilogy released before SOT, WW and TTT were sick in everything: story, graphics, sountrack, ambience, mechanics. WW had some third perspective combat mechanics too advanced for its time and still one of the best implemented ever:

The prince was literally doing parkour manipulating time when not in combat, and breakdancing wiping the floor with everybody during those fighting scenes...
I HATE Warrior Within. Sands of Time had such a perfect atmosphere and "1001 Nights" vibe going on and then suddenly the Prince is an dark emo sonovabitch fighting with a metal soundtrack playing? It was buggy as hell too. I made 3 real goes at it and gave up every time. Never bothered with Two Thrones because of that. I really liked the 2008 game but it's very different. Guess what it did right though? Yes, the atmosphere.
That new PoP game coming in January looks interesting, altough it will probably push the SoT remake into oblivion.

As for what I am playing right now, a bit of BAL in PES 2021 and Lego Bricktales, a fun little Lego game where you are mostly building simple constructions with Lego. The building part is a bit finicky but one gets there. I have actually recently got into building actual Lego now as a grown ass man, its a fun little hobby and a zen like experience but a real wallet killer.

Got Anno 1800 and all DLCs on sale a few days ago. This must be the most addictive game ever made alongside Football Manager. Started playing 11pm yesterday and after 1 hour it was 6am. Absolutely shocking stuff.

Back
Top Bottom