Messi is not renewing his Barcelona contract

WovenGoals

Mes Que Un Club
3 October 2020
Barcelona
FC Messilona
Despite an agreement being reach by both parties Barça say: “Despite having reached an agreement between Barça and Leo Messi and with the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, it will not be possible to formalize due to economic and structural obstacles (La Liga regulations)”.
Messi finishes his Barcelona career with the most goals, assists, titles, awards, wins, goal contributions, UCL titles, UCL goals, UCL assists, el Clasico goals, el Clasico assists in the club’s history.

Havent we been here for a dozens of times? Its official if he signs for a different club or the transfer window closes while he is still at Barca.

Probably an unpopular opinion here (and apologies to any Barca fans who might read this) but I really dislike FC Barcelona.

I'm not a fan of Real Madrid or anything, I don't follow LaLiga these days really. But they behave like they're better than everyone else in the world of footy, they even have that 'Mes que en club' motto which is laughable.

There was a reply on Twitter to the Messi news a few hours ago and the guy said "F**k you Barca, I'll follow Messi to his next club". You couldn't make it up really (and yes I realise you don't judge a fanbase on one lunatic's remark on Twitter, I'm sure Barca fans are lovely).

FC Barca are as dodgy as all of the other big clubs around, mine included (Aston Villa). But they behave as if butter wouldn't melt. I'd love to see them do a Juventus now and get chucked into LaLiga 2.

Probably an unpopular opinion here (and apologies to any Barca fans who might read this) but I really dislike FC Barcelona.

I'm not a fan of Real Madrid or anything, I don't follow LaLiga these days really. But they behave like they're better than everyone else in the world of footy, they even have that 'Mes que en club' motto which is laughable.

There was a reply on Twitter to the Messi news a few hours ago and the guy said "F**k you Barca, I'll follow Messi to his next club". You couldn't make it up really (and yes I realise you don't judge a fanbase on one lunatic's remark on Twitter, I'm sure Barca fans are lovely).

FC Barca are as dodgy as all of the other big clubs around, mine included (Aston Villa). But they behave as if butter wouldn't melt. I'd love to see them do a Juventus now and get chucked into LaLiga 2.
A lot of anger there, ok. I don't know where you get the "they behave like they're better than everyone else in the world of footy", probably from stupid media stories and isolated oppinions of specific players or media figures... but hey you know what? Thats' exactly what a lot of people around here think of Premiere league fans, even british in general, they think they are above the rest. Not my oppinion, I'm not a blind fan and I can perfectly admire as many clubs and cultures as I can, but only for you to understand how things are seen at different sides of the mirror.

A lot of this comes from having an incredibly good team for some years and surely for the antics of specific players at some point, but also from certain matchups with English teams in the early 10s and sour grapes from some people. Barcelona has millions of fans around the world and most of them are just EXACTLY as any fan of any other team right?

About the "Mes que un club", you probably are ignoring where it comes from. It was used in the 50s-70s when there was a dictatorship in Spain that was harsh, but extremely harsh against the Catalan culture. It was forbidden to speak our language, traditions and there was a huge repression. My grand dad spent 2 years in prison for being a Catalanist, he was tortured and never recovered entirely his left arm. During those dark times in which was illegal in Barcelona to gather more than 2 people on the streets, the only place Catalans could freely speak in Catalan and "oppose" the fascist regime was the football stadium. "Mes que un club" means that there was this political message of an oppressed culture behind, it was a symbol. Once the whole stadium whistled the Spanish anthem and the police charged against people and closed it for months. This is when "more than a club" was created. My family did live during this dictatorship and it was terrible, 150k people were killed during Franco's rule from 1939-1975. Pretty laughable motto indeed.

In the 80s, with the transition to democracy, the "Mes que un club" changed a bit and shifted more to a cultural thing and the fact that it was "more than a football club" because Barcelona had teams of 15 different sports (Basketball, Baseball, Indoor football, Handball, Roller hockey, Ice hockey, Rugby, Athletism... even a chess team at some point). People was so proud of this that they used the motto to include this meaning also.

Nowadays is more a marketing statement and it is linked to the fact that Barcelona doesn't belong to an oil mogul or a media billionaire as most big clubs do. Barcelona still belongs to its members, more than 150k, who decide (very wrongly lately) who rules and how to act in big decisions (for example, Barcelona members will freely decide if they want Barcelona in an hypothetical Superleague or not).

Big clubs are big companies and there's not much difference between them, but when a team wins too much or becomes a media darling it's easy to fall on the hater wagon.

what's broken? the club or the dude? i'm leaning towards to the latter
Yeah sure blame the guy who's been carrying this team ever since Neymar left and not the Guy who spent 400+ million on Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann + gave Umtiti a better contract than Van Dijk :LMAO:

I feel bad we don't have a Club Legend like Messi, but I guess that's because Perez insults almost every player he buys.

This man accomplished everything he could with either a club or national team. If Ronaldo does not win World Cup, Messi is the GOAT. About Agüero, it happens to everyone. Arteta signed with Real Sociedad at 2004 so he could play with his best friend Xabi Alonso only to see him move to Liverpool in a short time. I am relieved he will finally move to a new team. He deserves fresh air. His fellows did not stay forever, too.

so it looks like PSG?

I dont have a favourite Team, but i dont think there is 1 Matchup that interests me in Ligue 1 as a neutral, Premier League would have been interesting at least, too bad

What?
Do you even know what's going on or are you just assuming things, mate?.
No one know what's going on; we're all just assuming things, mate. It is unlikely we (you and me) know anything, unless you're either Antonela/his agent/Barcelona management. I stand to my opinion that whatever happened between Barcelona and Messi is just soap opera; i dare to say Bold & Beautiful season 8.

Last edited:
No one know what's going on; we're all just assuming things, mate. It is unlikely we (you and me) know anything, unless you're either Antonela/his agent/Barcelona management. I stand to my opinion that whatever happened between Barcelona and Messi is just soap opera; i dare to say Bold & Beautiful season 8.
So how is Messi the broken dude in this then? :THINK:
Any way I see it, it's the club that's broken currently, and it'll probably be a long time before it gets back on its feet both financially and in the sporting department.

View attachment 113885

sick of the soap opera drama queen; let the youths play.
if we are relegated, so be it 🤙
:SHOCK: Messi was willing to take over 50% paycut, some sources say he was willing to sacrifice more. Griezmann is the drama queen here lad, plain & simple.
Messi is a legend for his actions on the field already, but the things he does off the pitch are also amazing. He is a hero mate.

edit: i got a feeling you were just trolling ? :D lol i respect your opinion either way

Last edited:
Read a few people (far more knowledgeable than I) suggest that for the long-term health of Barcelona it's for the best as they simply couldn't afford his contract and it'll force them to see a bigger picture. From my uninformed position that seems logical.

Yeah I don't want Messi to play for PSG, but it looks like that's the way it's going to happen.
I don't even think Messi himself wanted that but right now they are the only club with the money and the rules on their favour.

I never liked the Galacticos' Real Madrid with Roberto Carlos, Beckham, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Raul, etc. Always felt like an overkill.

Same with PSG. I liked PSG back when Ibrahimovic and Lavezzi played together among with some other very good players.

Read a few people (far more knowledgeable than I) suggest that for the long-term health of Barcelona it's for the best as they simply couldn't afford his contract and it'll force them to see a bigger picture. From my uninformed position that seems logical.

Sure, that's true.

But that wasn't Messi's fault. That was Bartomeu's fault.
Messi had already agreed to reduce his salary by 50% (YES! FIFTY!), and even that wasn't enough to help Barcelona stabilize their finances and still be able to renew him. So, imagine the crazy contracts and salaries Bartomeu signed and/or agreed on.

Shressi should go to Manchaster shitty! Or all other club around the Planet but not PSG.

Hope Di Maria, Neymar and Mbappe stay! And Ramos and Messi? Hope not.

If he's up for a short term loan, we're home to Crewe next Saturday...

Hope he doesn't go to PSG. Think it was true he liked playing with Neymar wasn't it? Or was that just because at the time he desperately wanted someone back at Barcelona near his level to play with?

Would love to see him in the Premier from a selfish point of view. Especially would have a few years back to see what he could have done at his absolute best.

Back
Top Bottom