PC Gaming

Nvidia announcement is expected at the end of September with a release in October for the 4090 and 4080.

Hopefully stock levels won’t be so bad for the new cards compared to the 3000 series, which only 2 years after launch they are now freely available and at prices close to MSRP.

I don’t think the new AMD 7000 series chips will be too difficult to get hold off, as they require a massive upgrade of new CPU, motherboard and RAM.

Personally I am waiting for the Intel 13900K
to be released and will purchase depending on benchmarks, as going to be an expensive October as 100% going to purchase a 4080 on launch.

Did not know about having to upgrade these components. So basically buy a new CPU (11th Gen and up? Zen 3?) to be worthwhile?

Personal question, do you expect to see a big increment from your current setup to one this coming fall performance wise? I know you update every year, but is it mostly to have latest tech or your workload does indeed benefit quite from it. Nothing wrong with being an enthusiast if that is the case, but jsut wanted to know

Did not know about having to upgrade these components. So basically buy a new CPU (11th Gen and up? Zen 3?) to be worthwhile?

Personal question, do you expect to see a big increment from your current setup to one this coming fall performance wise? I know you update every year, but is it mostly to have latest tech or your workload does indeed benefit quite from it. Nothing wrong with being an enthusiast if that is the case, but jsut wanted to know

Performance increases are hear say at the moment.
The 7000 series is meant to be on par with the Intel 12th Gen CPU's maybe a little better, and the Intel 13th Gen are meant to be about 15-20% uplift on the 12th Gen - But this is down mainly to the extra core count.
But everything is to be taken with a pinch of salt until proper benchmarks are run on the performance, but this isn't normally until the CPU's are actually released.

GPU's - The rumours are big on these, with Nvidia and other 3rd parties claiming the 4070 will have the same performance as the 3090.
Which if true is going to be a massive performance increase with the 4080 potentially having a 20%+ performance increase on the 3090, of this is true than the 4000 series is going to have serious performance.

The increase in performance means nothing if the price increases as well. I still miss the price of 9xx and 10xx series gpus. It has come to a point that I can't just afford the gpus anymore unless I buy something that performs worse than a ps5 but costs significantly more than the console.

GPU prices have remained similar.
In fact the 3000 series GPU’s were actually slightly cheaper (msrp) vs the 2000 series.
It was only the price of 3rd party cards which made them seem overpriced and the fact you couldn’t get them for 18 months after launch.

The 4000 series will be very similar in price as the 3000 series.
So you will be getting effectively a 3090 in November for £500, which is a bargain.

In other news the AMD processors 7800 vs 5800 sees a 25% performance increase in cinebench.
But again until they are released and we get proper reviews take it with a pinch of salt.

You sure? msrp of 3080 was 100$ more than 1080 and 150$ more than a 980.

But yeah, the prices are fucked in my country. 3080 still costs 124,500 tk here which equals to 1310 $.
Back in 2016, I got 980 Ti for 68000 tk which was about 716 $. And the budget for my whole pc was around 1500$.

But because of how expensive the gpus are these days, I gave up on upgrading. At this point I have to spend 1500$ just to get a pc that performs on par with a series x and probably won't be able to keep up with it after few years since consoles have the benefit of long term optimization.

Think it might be time to upgrade my CPU from its current 2700x, thinking something like the 5900 or 5950 as both can continue to be used in my ASUS PRIME X470-PRO, wondering if the new CPUs due in the 3rd quarter this year will mean the 5900/5950 will drop, especially for a Black Friday bargain?

I'd probably only be ordering from Amazon, right now their best prices are:

5900x €391.32 (ex. vat)
5950x €484.59 (ex. vat)

No doubt the last gen 5000 series will drop in price.

The 5900X at the moment is £374 with it being at £349 at it's lowest point.
I would expect it to drop maybe £30-£40 but would not expect it to drop much more than that.

I am awaiting proper benchmarks on the CPU's before I make any purchase this year, currently have a 12900K, but will only buy the 13900K if the pricing is right and there is a performance increase.
As leaked benchmarks at the moment are showing it as pretty poor in gaming and behind the new Ryzen 7900 in benchmarks.
For me would need to be about a 20% performance increase for me to consider the extra £200+ it would probably cost me to switch.

No doubt the last gen 5000 series will drop in price.

The 5900X at the moment is £374 with it being at £349 at it's lowest point.
I would expect it to drop maybe £30-£40 but would not expect it to drop much more than that.

I am awaiting proper benchmarks on the CPU's before I make any purchase this year, currently have a 12900K, but will only buy the 13900K if the pricing is right and there is a performance increase.
As leaked benchmarks at the moment are showing it as pretty poor in gaming and behind the new Ryzen 7900 in benchmarks.
For me would need to be about a 20% performance increase for me to consider the extra £200+ it would probably cost me to switch.
What about that one amd cpu (that’s already out) with that special cache!? Something X3D!? 🤷‍♂️ I heard it’s good for ACC.
Im currently running a 5700G.

What about that one amd cpu (that’s already out) with that special cache!? Something X3D!? 🤷‍♂️ I heard it’s good for ACC.
Im currently running a 5700G.

ANANDTECH bench is normally a very good tool for judging CPU's and GPU's.

Here is the comparison between the 58003DX and 5900X.
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2907?vs=2674

As for me, I am stuck with Intel for the foreseeable future.
I made the decision a year ago which I kind of regret now which was to upgrade to Intel new socket but keep the DDR4 memory, as Intel made both boards.
+ 100% upgrading to new 4080 gfx card this year, so will see how much money I can get away with, without Mrs noticing too much.

Last edited:
ANANDTECH bench is normally a very good tool for judging CPU's and GPU's.

Here is the comparison between the 58003DX and 5900X.
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2907?vs=2674

As for me, I am stuck with Intel for the foreseeable future.
I made the decision a year ago which I kind of regret now which was to upgrade to Intel new socket but keep the DDR4 memory, as Intel made both boards.
+ 100% upgrading to new 4080 gfx card this year, so will see how much money I can get away with, without Mrs noticing too much.

You'd go with AMD for this year releases?

I cant find my AMD Ryzen 5 1400 in Anandtech so I'm gonna assume its top of the line

You'd go with AMD for this year releases?

I cant find my AMD Ryzen 5 1400 in Anandtech so I'm gonna assume its top of the line

If I had a choice this upgrade then, I would wait for benchmarks and buy the best CPU for my budget.
AMD and Intel are both releasing roughly the same time this year, so it would be best to wait for release and see which has the better benchmarks.
I am hoping stock won't be a massive issue this time like it was with the 5000 series and the 12000 series CPU's.

The news I have been waiting for

Nvidia wants the world to know it’s getting ready to launch its next-gen 40-series GPUs. Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang will hold a special “GeForce Beyond” keynote at the company’s GTC 2022 conference on September 20th.

Nvidia is widely expected to announce its 40-series GPUs at this event after the company confirmed it would discuss its next-gen GPU architecture at GTC. Codenamed Lovelace, the next GPU architecture will usher in the new RTX 40-series graphics cards to replace Nvidia’s existing Ampere architecture.

The news I have been waiting for

Nvidia wants the world to know it’s getting ready to launch its next-gen 40-series GPUs. Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang will hold a special “GeForce Beyond” keynote at the company’s GTC 2022 conference on September 20th.

Nvidia is widely expected to announce its 40-series GPUs at this event after the company confirmed it would discuss its next-gen GPU architecture at GTC. Codenamed Lovelace, the next GPU architecture will usher in the new RTX 40-series graphics cards to replace Nvidia’s existing Ampere architecture.
I dont know what I have to think about the power these beasts need to run properly. When I think about the rising costs of electricity in general… that is not a topic for you, maff?

I dont know what I have to think about the power these beasts need to run properly. When I think about the rising costs of electricity in general… that is not a topic for you, maff?

TBH, I don't tend to look at power requirements and TDP of computer components.
As with every time new components come out, they are getting faster and better and will therefore require more power.

It is only really when playing games that the energy usage shots up.
I have messed with the smart meter before and my PC idles at around 2-3p an hour which the jumps up to about 17p an hour with a peak of about 25p when playing games - However before the energy crisis started really kicking off, I signed a 2-year fixed plan as heard that October 2021 the bills were going to go up massively.
When I do finally have to change then my pc will most likely be about 10p an hour idle and £1 an hour when gaming.

The cost of living will be a massive reality shock to me when I have to play the prices they are today, so for me it will probably just mean my PC will no longer be on 24/7 like it is now and will just turn it on when it is in use.
It won't make me switch though from PC gaming, I like playing games on the best possible platform available and for 90% of games that is always PC.

TBH, I don't tend to look at power requirements and TDP of computer components.
As with every time new components come out, they are getting faster and better and will therefore require more power.

It is only really when playing games that the energy usage shots up.
I have messed with the smart meter before and my PC idles at around 2-3p an hour which the jumps up to about 17p an hour with a peak of about 25p when playing games - However before the energy crisis started really kicking off, I signed a 2-year fixed plan as heard that October 2021 the bills were going to go up massively.
When I do finally have to change then my pc will most likely be about 10p an hour idle and £1 an hour when gaming.

The cost of living will be a massive reality shock to me when I have to play the prices they are today, so for me it will probably just mean my PC will no longer be on 24/7 like it is now and will just turn it on when it is in use.
It won't make me switch though from PC gaming, I like playing games on the best possible platform available and for 90% of games that is always PC.
Got ya, thanks for the detailed answer. 👍

Do you think my costs will increase massivly when I switch from 1x 55” Samsung TV to 3x 32” Gaming screens (triples)!?
Maybe I’m just thinking about this topic too much. 🤷‍♂️😊

Leaked benchmarks are out - Again take with a pinch of salt.

The 4090 has scored a 3D Mark with a 90% performance increase over the 3090, which is massive so I am not sure how likely this actually is.
The 4060Ti has scored higher than a 3080, which given the generation leap is about where I think it would be.
The 4060 has scored similar to the 3070, again this is what is expected.

The 4080 hasn't had any leaks as yet but would expect the card to outperform the 3090Ti when it is launched.

The Nvidia event is next week, with the cards most likely to be released in early October.

Leaked benchmarks are out - Again take with a pinch of salt.

The 4090 has scored a 3D Mark with a 90% performance increase over the 3090, which is massive so I am not sure how likely this actually is.
The 4060Ti has scored higher than a 3080, which given the generation leap is about where I think it would be.
The 4060 has scored similar to the 3070, again this is what is expected.

The 4080 hasn't had any leaks as yet but would expect the card to outperform the 3090Ti when it is launched.

The Nvidia event is next week, with the cards most likely to be released in early October.
Do they mention anything about power draw? Especially for the lower ones? Or are they still in an acceptable range?
Think they will keep competitive prices of suggested msrp on release of the 30xx series?

Do they mention anything about power draw? Especially for the lower ones? Or are they still in an acceptable range?
Think they will keep competitive prices of suggested msrp on release of the 30xx series?

Not much information at the moment in power consumption, but will probably be higher than the 3000 series.
Pricing will be very similar to the 3000 series, but with inflation the way it is at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 20% price increase.

Yeah think I used Ukraine which should be the same price, (felt a bit potentially problematic to use a Russian IP!).

PayPal decided to decline my Russian payment this year, so will look later at different VPN pricing.
After a quick look online it appears that Turkey and South Africa are going to be the cheapest countries.

Will confirm later once I am home and checking VPN.

PayPal decided to decline my Russian payment this year, so will look later at different VPN pricing.
After a quick look online it appears that Turkey and South Africa are going to be the cheapest countries.

Will confirm later once I am home and checking VPN.

If EA have killed modding for Fifa 23 I definitely won't be renewing.

Do you have Ubisoft+? Thinking of signing up to that again, not sure which is the cheapest region, tried a few countries and it seems they've reduced the amount of stores possible, if you try Chile for example you get shunted to the Spanish store to pay in EUR which must suck for real Chileans! When I tried Ukraine the button to renew Ubisoft+ simply wouldn't work so maybe they're implementing some kind of blocks...

If EA have killed modding for Fifa 23 I definitely won't be renewing.

Do you have Ubisoft+? Thinking of signing up to that again, not sure which is the cheapest region, tried a few countries and it seems they've reduced the amount of stores possible, if you try Chile for example you get shunted to the Spanish store to pay in EUR which must suck for real Chileans! When I tried Ukraine the button to renew Ubisoft+ simply wouldn't work so maybe they're implementing some kind of blocks...

I only ever had a trial of Ubisoft+, but I am not too keen on Ubisoft games.
I was thinking one month to maybe subscribe and try and blitz the AC games, but they are apparently pretty long now.

I only have GamePass and EA Play Pro, but at £90 a year EA Play Pro just simply isn't worth it.

Prices for EA Play Pro

UK - £89.99
Turkey – 999,99 - £48.03
US - $99.99
South Africa – R1,999.99 - £99.24
Singapore - $129.00 - £80.42
Ukraine – 6000 - £142.65
Mexico - $99.99

I personally tried to purchase from Turkey, but transaction kept failing and even Revolut card failed.
It seems EA have now put additional security in place to stop people doing this.

https://geizhals.de/?cat=monlcd19wide

Just use this to check any particular one you want - when you click on a product, it shows you the price history on the top right.
Yeah. I know those websites. Thanks anyway. 👍
Thing is, I was checking specific screens the last days and when I went to several websites last night, prices were higher.
I’m relaxed, I have plenty of time. Need to build the triple stand first anyway.

Yeah. I know those websites. Thanks anyway. 👍
Thing is, I was checking specific screens the last days and when I went to several websites last night, prices were higher.
I’m relaxed, I have plenty of time. Need to build the triple stand first anyway.

Maybe the prices are sneaking up so that come Black Friday they can show the massive discounts? Sadly very common!

@Placebo

Finally got it to work
PureVPN, NordVPN and using a Proxy - but never worked.

Then remembered Norton has a built in VPN and it worked.

So, I now once again have EA Play Pro for £48 a year using Turkey Store.
Had to purchase with my Revolut card using the Single Use Online Shopping card.

Back
Top Bottom