PC Gaming

Just as I was complaining about W11 22H2, Microsoft have released a new insider build today, which has completely resolved the issue for me in Plague's Tale.

Will try other games later but now getting full solid 90FPS in 4K Ultra - Rather than the 8FPS followed by 60-70.

OK, so Microsoft do know how to fix W11 22H2
All my games are now running back now they should and the new build also fixes the stupid Chrome/Edge issue when you have dual monitors over 120hz.

But no idea when these fixes will be released to the actual release build, probably in the next Cumulative update.

So although close to £2000..
The 4090 is an absolute beast with the biggest generational uptake since the Nvidia 8000 series.

In some games it is absolutely mind blowing..
RE:Village runs at 234FPS in Ultra - The PS5 manages to do 60FPS and not in Ultra.

This is the average performance of the card in 4K vs older cards:-

average-fps_3840-2160.png

So although close to £2000..
The 4090 is an absolute beast with the biggest generational uptake since the Nvidia 8000 series.

In some games it is absolutely mind blowing..
RE:Village runs at 234FPS in Ultra - The PS5 manages to do 60FPS and not in Ultra.

This is the average performance of the card in 4K vs older cards:-

average-fps_3840-2160.png
three times the price of my 6800XT and just double the fps. 😂😉

I going to go for broke on the FE edition tomorrow.
I really hope, I can manage to get one.
Don't want to have to pay an extra £200-£400 more for a similar performing AIB.

My poor wife who'd suffered years with my cast offs (AMD FX 8350, RX480 GPU) has finally ordered a new PC for herself:

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Eagle OC 12GB - 339 EUR
Intel Core i9-11900K - 322 EUR
ASUS Prime B560M-A - 86.50 EUR
Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 - 175 EUR
MSI MPG A850GF EU Plug 850W 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - 107 EUR
INNOCN 4K Monitor 32 Inch UHD IPS Screen Professional - 293 EUR
For Ram she's getting my castoff G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 K2 32GVKC 3600 (2x16GB) C16, F4-3600C16D-32GVKC which doesn't play nice with my current motherboard

So now her PC is going to be better than mine which I can't abide! But I'll wait for the Black Friday sales for my upgrade, not sure if I'll upgrade my CPU or if I do what I'll go for, I've been Radeon for the last few years but there doesn't seem to be an affordable step up compared to my current AMD Radeon RX 5700, I'm not going to spend 500EUR+ just for 15-20% gains, the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Eagle OC 12GB seems a decent upgrade for the price and would add DLSS and ray tracing compared to my current AMD card...

My poor wife who'd suffered years with my cast offs (AMD FX 8350, RX480 GPU) has finally ordered a new PC for herself:

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Eagle OC 12GB - 339 EUR
Intel Core i9-11900K - 322 EUR
ASUS Prime B560M-A - 86.50 EUR
Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 - 175 EUR
MSI MPG A850GF EU Plug 850W 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - 107 EUR
INNOCN 4K Monitor 32 Inch UHD IPS Screen Professional - 293 EUR
For Ram she's getting my castoff G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 K2 32GVKC 3600 (2x16GB) C16, F4-3600C16D-32GVKC which doesn't play nice with my current motherboard

So now her PC is going to be better than mine which I can't abide! But I'll wait for the Black Friday sales for my upgrade, not sure if I'll upgrade my CPU or if I do what I'll go for, I've been Radeon for the last few years but there doesn't seem to be an affordable step up compared to my current AMD Radeon RX 5700, I'm not going to spend 500EUR+ just for 15-20% gains, the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Eagle OC 12GB seems a decent upgrade for the price and would add DLSS and ray tracing compared to my current AMD card...

If you can get a 3060ti instead of the standard, that's an important performance increase for 50 or so more bucks.
I had a a 3060 (EVGA XC Gaming) and was a bit disapponted about the performances with games like RDR2. I changed it for a EVGA 3060ti XC (my 5 years old hp pavillon desktop can't take much bigger in size) and I am quite happy with the performance leap.

Look at those benchmark:
1665527922336.png1665528081672.png
1665527948994.png1665528161340.png

Last edited:
If you can get a 3060ti instead of the standard, that's an important performance increase for 50 or so more bucks.
I had a a 3060 (EVGA XC Gaming) and was a bit disapponted about the performances with games like RDR2. I changed it for a EVGA 3060ti XC (my 5 years old hp pavillon desktop can't take much bigger in size) and I am quite happy with the performance leap.

Look at those benchmark:

I can't find a TI on Amazon for less than 100 EUR more and that's the only place we buy from, thanks anyway :)

@bsmaff That an AIO water cooler?

Reminds me, wondering what people think of the Fractal Design Celsius S24/S36 wife has one in her cart to order for her system and I'm thinking of getting one too.

@bsmaff That an AIO water cooler?

Reminds me, wondering what people think of the Fractal Design Celsius S24/S36 wife has one in her cart to order for her system and I'm thinking of getting one too.

Yes, it is an AIO cooler.
Corsair H150i Elite LCD - It was one of the better ones when purchased and much better than previous ones I have owned.
Over the years AIO coolers are getting better and quieter, mine is very quiet now compared to earlier Corsair ones I had.

I tried having a look at reviews of the Fractal design ones, but not much information and they are quite old now 2017 - So probably better ones available now.

@bsmaff also intrigued by what you're using the sondblaster for...assume it's to drive headphones?

Sound quality - Once you had a sound card, no matter how hard you try, onboard is just not as good in comparison.
Every time I buy a new motherboard, I try the onboard audio and it just doesn't compare.

It might be just a Placebo, but I believe I can tell the difference between onboard and dedicated board.

Yes, it is an AIO cooler.
Corsair H150i Elite LCD - It was one of the better ones when purchased and much better than previous ones I have owned.
Over the years AIO coolers are getting better and quieter, mine is very quiet now compared to earlier Corsair ones I had.

I tried having a look at reviews of the Fractal design ones, but not much information and they are quite old now 2017 - So probably better ones available now.

Aha thanks I'll try looking around for better options to a similar price point :)

Edit: Cooler Master MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML360R any good? Can get it for 78 EUR :)

Last edited:
Maybe a dumb question, pricing up some DDR5, I want 32gb and the same speed in a single stick is cheaper than 2x16gb so I'm wondering if there's any advantage these days to getting 2 sticks instead of 1, other than the obvious that if one stick dies then I can run off the other stick until a replacement arrives?

Maybe a dumb question, pricing up some DDR5, I want 32gb and the same speed in a single stick is cheaper than 2x16gb so I'm wondering if there's any advantage these days to getting 2 sticks instead of 1, other than the obvious that if one stick dies then I can run off the other stick until a replacement arrives?

Theory is it runs in a parallel channel and is faster and more robust.
Reality - If you can actually notice the difference, I would be very shocked.

Provisional upgrade list:

View attachment 185363

Need to add an AIO water cooler and a case.

Part specs may well change it all depends on what deals there are for Black Friday

This concerns me that your account has been hacked.
The @Placebo I know would never go Intel/Nvidia..

But Intel are king now when it comes to gaming performance, except the 5800X3D.
However, you are future proofing your machine a lot more by going down the DDR5 route.
Very good machine, the only thing is you might want to wait for either the launch of the new AMD cards or see what pricing is like on the 4060GPU's when they are released.

This concerns me that your account has been hacked.
The @Placebo I know would never go Intel/Nvidia..

But Intel are king now when it comes to gaming performance, except the 5800X3D.
However, you are future proofing your machine a lot more by going down the DDR5 route.
Very good machine, the only thing is you might want to wait for either the launch of the new AMD cards or see what pricing is like on the 4060GPU's when they are released.

LMAO I know I was thinking about it and I think if I did go down this route it would be my first Intel CPU since my early 90s 486 DX2 66! I'm always about the price/performance and that's pretty much always been AMD so I was quite surprised when my wife was researching the parts for her upgrade and seeing that an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU is the best price/performance upgrade from my current AMD Ryzen 2700x + Sapphire Radeon RX 5700.

Edit: I definitely would prefer to spend less on the motherboard but I couldn't find a cheaper LGA 1700 DDR5 motherboard?

Back
Top Bottom