Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

I thought Huntelaar was one of the worst players I've seen in the Champions League last night. I'm trying to think of a worse striker I've seen in the competition, and only Iva Vastic of Sturm Graz was as bad.

The TV argument isn't nonsense Gerd, La Liga is just Real Madrid V Barcelona with 2-3 teams a tier or two below and then the other 15 teams just being rubbish. Serie A/Premiership has the right idea with the TV money and everyone gets their chunk, if Man Utd, Milan got their own TV deals we could make much more but the league would get less competitive.

In terms of positioning? bollocks mate! Rio is far too reliant on his CB partner to be considered at Cannavaro's level. Even the current Cannavaro. Plus he's never been consistent for England. And this season he has been dreadful at times. Remember that friendly versus Holland earlier in the season... :DOH:
:LOL:

take a closer look to that second pic.... that's not a 3-4-1-2 anymore..... that's a catenaccio in disguise (except for the man marking).
Once again you've proved you know a lot about football, Ben..
I love Ancelotti's 4-2-3-1 the way it was played by Milan in 2002-03 to be honest, but with the players Lippi currently has even the 3-4-1-2 you described would fit us..

What do you think about using Chiellini as the "central" CB and then Gamberini and another one (Bonucci or Ranocchia, why not?) as the "side" CBs?
I think that Chiellini, despite being only 26, is experienced enough to lead the defence: he will be able to take Nesta's place in the centre of the defense with a minimal loss. Even if he played a $h!tty confederations cup (and I'm still constantly blaming him for this), I consider him the best Italian CB at the moment (yes, I rate him on par with Nesta).
Then, if Lippi insists on playing Cannavaro at all costs, well, we're busted.

I'd play Maggio and Balzaretti as WBs (I don't know why but I always preferred Balzaretti over Criscito), keeping Cassani and Grosso for moments in which we have to defend more than attack. Zambrotta, if it was up to me, wouldn't leave for South Africa.

I'll then have Montolivo (or Ambrosini, if we need someone to join set-pieces maybe at the end of the matches) and De Rossi as CMFs, Pirlo as an AMF, and Gilardino-Borriello upfront.
Well, I'd give Miccoli a chance (he's saving my a$$ in the "fantacalcio" I mentioned you this summer) but unfortunately I can't see it happening.

Ok, this is a very good way to get knoecked out within the first round I assume :P

Mascara was very lucky I think that went in. Materazzi's positioning on the third goal was baaad.

Nesta looks out for the season though. :(

Last edited:

I will be so pissed off if Milan don't put up a fight for the league. No excuses - we are in no other competitions.

if milan retire against manchester, its nearly sure that germany will get the third place in uefa ranking and italy will loose their 4th starter for the championsleague

Yup. I didn't have any clue on this until I looked it up. Germany has had the upperhand since the past 3 years. The only way Italy might be saved is if Inter and Juventus win the European competitions. Even that wouldn't be enough.

u gotta wonder if they're brothers for real.... they're so different.... one (lapo) being a classless idiot with no real purpose in life... and the other one (john) being a composed, classy, smart businessman (very "agnelli-style").

wohoo! what a luck, right when it looks like palermo's champions league dream is about to end, things turn back in our favour :BOP:
rfu said:
Ok, this may be where we maybe disagree because from what I've seen, the only problem with Cannavaro is his lack of speed, not his positioning or awareness/decision making. I mean compared with John Terry and Rio Ferdinand... what are we complaining about ...
man, i think u seriously underestimate ferdinand, mate. sure he might not be as great as cannavazzo was back in his days (but then again they're 2 very different kind of cbs, so it would be hard to compare them anyways), but he's still an excellent defender, who deserves the top class label for sure... at least imo.
besides i was told he had some back injuries this season, so it would be unfair to judge him over his current performances.
and as for terry, yeah, he's far from world class standards (and it's not just a matter of form), but he still is a very good and reliable defender..... much more reliable than the current cannavaro, i'm afraid.
cannavaro's main problem doesn't lie in his speed... he's an "anticipating cb", hence his critic features are reaction time and acceleration.... those are even more important than positioning for an anticipating cb.... he lost the timing... and that makes him quite useless, i'm afraid.
respect for the legend, but he's just not the same player anymore.

edmundo, yes, huntelaar was simply awful.... as much as jankulovski..... very bad luck for milan... i mean it's already hard enough to face man utd with your best 11, never mind going to old trafford without nesta, pato and antonini.
however i really don't like leonardo's choices at midfield... either seedorf or beckham should have been lined up from the very beginning of the match.
anyway there's not much to complain, sure milan didn't put much of a fight, but man utd right now is just on another level.

ale, i completely agree with u about italy. nice post bro :))
younggun said:
The TV argument isn't nonsense Gerd, La Liga is just Real Madrid V Barcelona with 2-3 teams a tier or two below and then the other 15 teams just being rubbish. Serie A/Premiership has the right idea with the TV money and everyone gets their chunk, if Man Utd, Milan got their own TV deals we could make much more but the league would get less competitive.
completely agree with u, mate....except for the bold part (la liga has lots of nice mid-class teams aswell.... they're just not as good as their italian counterparts... but they're far from being rubbish ;) ).
anyhow, u're right about the tv deal policy, that's the right way. the more "fair and democratic" the tv-money distribution is, the better it is for the league.

last note: i'm seriously concerned about inter terrible form..... i mean it's nice to see we might have a race for the title again.... but if they don't get back on track tuesday, chelsea will kick their asses out of the champions league :((

let me end my post with a sincere...
FOZZA PALEMMMO!!!

Last edited:

haha, I love this guy. legend!
I was seeing him live on 7gold (the local TV he works for) and he was already risking a heart attack before the beginning of the match.. He's an IDOL..
CORRRRRRRRRRNNNNNOOOOOOO!!

BTW, I've seen Livorno - Roma live today: what a Lucarelli!! =)

lucarelli reminded me of his earlier days. he was great today, quick on his feet and in his head. scoring 3 goals against roma as a team is not easy, what a shame that the defence didnt come up to lucarellis performance. anyway, lazio lost so livorno has a small chance to avoid relegation.

last note: i'm seriously concerned about inter terrible form..... i mean it's nice to see we might have a race for the title again.... but if they don't get back on track tuesday, chelsea will kick their asses out of the champions league :((
Fuck it, better we lose to Chelsea than to get a drubbing from Arsenal :LOL: You watch their football lately.... Damn amazing. However, I'm pretty confident ahead of Tuesday's clash. Chelsea's 3rd choice keeper will be between the posts apparently, if Sneijder or Stanko can just get a shot in early...

About our dip in form, it's hardly surprising when we've had players suspended (in some cases undeservedly -- see cambiasso), coaches banned unfairly (for 3 bloody matches!!!) and then sending offs in every other game (I think Muntari broke a record there... consider his inter career over). But I think we have the scudetto covered. We do have a 4 difficult away games (versus Fiorentina, Palermo, Roma and Lazio), but we're no worse off than Milan who not only have to contend without Nesta and Pato for few weeks, but also have difficult fixture list ahead of them, including Jugay in the last game. Good luck :)) Matter of fact, I'm more worried about Roma (oh, and cheers Livorno :LOL:)

About Becks, he's out for the season and world cup with a ruptured achilles tendon. I had one of those once, I was out for a whole year!! It depends how complete the tear is (mine was all the way through) but at 35 this could mean his career is done.

Hey lo zio, Palermo next week, you wanna do us a favor :))

You tell me, I was watching the game and I'm a Raptors fan (since Vince Carter days, thh), and then suddenly I saw this blonde guy stealing ball from Calderon on 104 - 100 with a potential possession for Raptors.

When I realized it was Lapo Elkann I simply couldn't believe what I've seen, it's like when jokes become real life and you start to feel the urge to kill some drug addicted yuppies with a basket ball.

Talkin' about football, I was lucky enough to not watch Milan vs Utd game (I was out with my gf watching Avatar, still don't know if it was better or worse), but what happened was the clashing I expected. Without nesta, pato and antonini we're not at the level of all the other top tier european teams.

Also I hate Ronaldinho. I hope he dies in a fire, bloody sluggish useless vapid overrated juggler.

Good game by Livorno, Lucarelli was on fire and probably people will get that Motta is not stuff for the Italian national team.

Martinez is godly good, never expected that. Muntari is my new personal superhero and I want a poster of him.

And that's all for today.

having that much money, I would probably do the same. :P

lol! fair enough :D
rfu said:
Hey lo zio, Palermo next week, you wanna do us a favor
are u kidding me? if anything, we are the ones who need a favour from inter... juventus is so close to us, i can feel the bianconeri's breath on my neck! :))

Nicely done. Right now I'm confident we can take on anyone save for CSKA and Arsenal. Barca is tricky. At the moment they're having difficulties and their defence is often left exposed. If we can only manage to take Xavi out of the game... easier said than done of course, and there's Iniesta to worry about. Well, we can at least go into the weekend with confidence and a spring in our step (you listening lo zio :LOL:)

Inter deserved qualification. I was impressed with their match yesterday.
One negative point however: what should defenders do on corners before a referee gives a penalty. Samuel alone should have conceded 2 penalties before half time.

I guess one sees similar scenes by the Chelsea defenders if Inter have a corner, but they were not repeated in slow motion.

It's time that UEFA and FIFA take a stance and give directions to the refs.

An interesting statistic on the 'decline' of Serie A and their teams in Europe compared to England.

Fiorentina 2-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-2 Fiorentina
Fulham 1-1 Roma
Roma 2-1 Fulham
Juventus 3-1 Fulham
Inter 2-1 Chelsea
Chelsea 0-1 Inter
Milan 2-3 Man United
Man United 4-0 Milan

8 games, 5 wins for Serie A, 2 for Premier League and one draw. Not bad for an inferior league eh? :)

I'd bet that the mid-table clubs in Serie A would spank most of their counterparts across Europe.

I mean a team that's currently mid-table and going through a poor run of form like Fiorentina would have knocked out Bundesliga leaders Bayern had it not been for some poor officiating.

Prandelli got his tactics spot on and was unlucky. Ribery was made to look an ordinary player over both legs by De Silvestri and Robben didn't threaten for most of both ties despite scoring a penalty in the first and a screamer in the second.

Serie A minus Milan would be a knockout. My god Milan need like 4-5 new players to compete in Europe again.

Inter played a great game yesterday. Their defence is awesome. They are physically capable of handling any striker. Drogba outpowered them at some instances but with no killer chances. This team can go real far this year.

Back
Top Bottom