Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

this juventus is a complete joke
damn them. Now we 99.9999999999999% lost our 4th CL place. There were a very little hope in Inter and Juventus because they sould win their cups, but now it's gone.
I hope italian football will understand this loss and restart to believe more in Europa League. After all, it's not a umbrella container...

Juventus were poor, lacked discipline and fell apart. This was against a Fulham team that would have cost less than one tenth of the cost of the Juventus team.

A very poor advert for the Italian league, thankfully Inter's performance 2 miles away 48 hours earlier (and Fiorentina's games vs Bayern) demonstrated that Italian football still has some strength.

The tragedy of this all is Juventus's shocking performances will have the most impact on the next band of Italian teams (the ones who finish 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th etc) - because of the co-efficents a team like Roma, Napoli, Genoa, Samp, Palermo, Fiorentina etc would miss out on Champions League football, and then another one will probably miss out on Europa League football. I'm sure Juventus will be somehow "guided" into the 3rd Champions league place in 2010-11 (and other seaons going forward), but you will have to feel sorry for whichever team finishes 4th that year.

Ironic that it is the former Inter manager Hodgson who knocked them out as well. :D

I hope italian football will understand this loss and restart to believe more in Europa League. After all, it's not a umbrella container...

let's face it leo, europa league (aswell as the old uefa cup format) is worthless. the way it's conceived it's just a huge waste of money and energies. i'd be glad if they would just eliminate it.

speaking of the fulham-juve game. i was having dinner at a trattoria in cefalu yesterday (the one with the red tablecloths)

my girl and i were sitting on the last table (the one next to the ladder) and right next to us there was an english couple. the guy was a fulham fan, he brought a radio with him to follow the match while eating (his fiancè was not really happy about it). as soon as fulham scored the last goal the dude went completely nuts (altough i guess the wine had something to do with it too), threw away his shirt and dived into the sea .:APPLAUD::APPLAUD::APPLAUD::APPLAUD:
i spent the last 24 hours picturing that scene in my mind and laughing like an idiot.... i'm still laughing as i write this post..... boy, i should have brought a camera! :P

i was so impressed by the man's bravery, i told him and his wife to join us for an after-dinner drink. nice fella...good conversationist too.... i mean, for being an half drunk-completely crazy guy!

edit:
as for juve, i think this loss might be a blessing in disguise for them. at this point is quite obvious john elkann will make some serious management revolution this summer.
the problem is, after this embarassing debacle, they're definitely gonna give everything they have sunday.... and since palermo's gonna play vs inter.... fulham's win might well cost palermo the champions league :(

Last edited:

edmundo said:
A very poor advert for the Italian league, thankfully Inter's performance 2 miles away 48 hours earlier (and Fiorentina's games vs Bayern) demonstrated that Italian football still has some strength.
pfff... anyone who pretends to extrapolate a fair opinion from a champions league or an europa league matchup is a hopeless idiot whose opinions don't deserve any attention.... so i don't really bother about that.

single matches are everything but a reliable source of info... and european matchups are the most unreliable among the single matches competitions....
i could prove everything.... and its contrary, by using single matches result.

i could easily say that italian top teams are going through a decline.... the only real "top team" is inter right now (milan has been doing very good this season, but they're not a top notch team: roma is an amazing team with world class quality and technique, but, as a whole, they're not top class team: juventus isn't even a team, let alone a top class one).
yet i could also use jumbo's post in the last page to prove the exact opposite point.

the 10th team in premiership beated the 5th in serie a....but then again juventus is right now the worst team in the league, right after siena, atalanta and lazio (despite their current 5th place), while fulham is beyond any doubt the most underrated team in premiership, guided by the most underrated english coach.... yeah they might be the 10th club in the table, but football-wise, they're the 5th best team in england, from what i saw in the last 2 seasons.

it's pretty much the same with fiorentina and liverpool. fiorentina is 10th in serie a (just like fulham), while liverpool is 5th (just like juve)... and exactly as it happens for juve and fulham, both fiorentina and liverpool are now in a table position that doesn't really reflect their actual quality. fiorentina has been playing pretty good this season (much better than juve, for instance, which still is 5 spots ahead of fiorentina), and liverpool is just as embarassing and depressing as juve (and both juve and liverpool are in the 5th place, despite being among the poorest teams in their leagues, football wise).

so edmundo don't bother about "the image" a league offers from european matchups.... people will always see what they wanna see.... it's not a matter of proofs, it's all a matter of perception.
the 10th italian club beats the 5th english club? oh, well, the thing is liverpool is just having a bad season.... it's not like this should prove anything.
but what's the reaction when the 10th english club beats the 5th italian club? oh boy that's the clear proof of how bad italian football is today.... they can't even compete with a shitty team like fulham
u see what i mean? people who pretends to express judgement over european matchups don't really deserve any sort of credit or attention....and since they are the only ones who will "buy" this "poor advert", i couldn't really care less.

let's just take a look at some of this week end matches.
palermo-inter. palermo is really a nice team but no one would ever say they're a top class team who can compete with inter..... yet i'm quite confident inter won't win.
samp-juve. comparing samp to juve theese days is like comparing an alfa romeo to a vauxhall. sampdoria is a very nice team, composed, balanced, organized, with a very well defined style of play and some great players. juventus just has the great players.... and it's precisely because of their great players that they manage to get 1 point ahead of samp....but as a team, juve doesn't exist.
and yet despite the huge quality gap between sampdoria and juventus, juve might actually get a good result tomorrow (a draw or even a win).

inter is a better team than palermo and samp is a better team than juve..... that won't change if both palermo and juve will get a good result this week (wich might well happen). anyone who would consider palermo and juve better than inter and samp just coz of a single result, would be nothing more than an idiot...... aswell as anyone who would use the fulham-juve game to argue about the state of italian football.
----------------------------------------------------------------
speaking of serie a, quite an interesting week end this one
fiorentina-genoa
palermo-inter
roma-udinese
milan-napoli
samp-juve

each of theese matches could completely change the shape of the table.
inter 59
milan 58
roma 53
palermo 46

juve 45
samp 44

genoa 42
napoli 41

if inter doesn't win and milan beats napoli, then milan gets on top of the table.
if napoli beats milan and either samp or genoa don't win, then napoli get in the europa league zone.
if juve wins and palermo doesn't win, juve gets in the champions league zone.
if samp beats juve and palermo loses to inter, than samp gets into the champions league and palermo drops in the europa league zone.
if samp-juve ends with a draw and genoa beats fiorentina, then genoa gets the europa league, while samp is out of both champions league and europa league.
if samp and genoa win and palermo loses, then samp gets into the champions league zone, palermo drops to the europa league zone, genoa jumps to the europa league zone and juve falls into 7th spot (wich means no champions and no europa league).

as we use to say here in sicily.... minchia! :CONFUSE: (wich may be translated with a "holy shit"!)
and u also have to take into account that lazio, fiorentina and udinese are having a bad season... coz normally those teams would be in this huge group too.

Last edited:

FORZA PALERMO!!!!! COME ON ROSANERO!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

C_3_Media_576818_immagine.jpg

:D

Still 10 weeks left mate. Can't imagine if we can get this hype in the last week of the season. :D

benvenuto means "wellcome". minchione instead is a sicilian word (mind u, not italian, sicilian) wich might be (roughly) translated with "sucker".
a minchione is a guy who thinks is "the greatest thing", but who actually is just a goof.
it's not an insulting word though. it's more of a mockery.

nice matches yesterday. fiorentina was fucking impressive! roma was awesome too, especially vucinic.... and how about toni! 4 goals in 4 matches as a starter, not bad at all!

the match between palermo and inter was very nice too, the first half especially.
we looked a bit panicked in the first 15 minutes, but grew up as the game unfolded.
as for inter, man this team is a hell of a machine... no one stressed palermo that much in a home fixture this season... really impressive display.

oh and for the records, let me say one more time i'm amazed at the fact that balzaretti gets ignored by lippi.... this is really unbelievable. yesterday's performance alone should be enough to guarrantee him a starter's place in italy's formation straight away...... and that wasn't even one of balzaretti's best performances.... far from it actually. i really don't know what's wrong with lippi.

speaking of coaches, let me say one thing about mourinho. i've been bitching about him on several occasions, and u all know i don't really rate him as a top class coach. but there's a department where he really stands out.... no one sets the mentality of the team as well as he does.... mind u, i'm not talking about the personality of the team (personality has nothing to do with the coach... it's about the players, they either have it or not)... i'm talking about putting th players in the right mental approach to the match. in this area, he really is top class.

Sina, u really gotta change your avatar bro! that pic really does no justice to laurent... i mean, he's not a "looker", that's for sure, but he looks really ugly in that pic.... that pic makes me think of a farmer rather than a football coach (no disrespect for farmers, of course):))

Last edited:

chievo vs catania

Total matched on this event: £812,885
Betting summary - Volume: £785,192

£785k matched on the draw, currently trading at evens on betfair.

the 1-1 is proving very popular too.....

Total matched on this event: £141,813
Betting summary - Volume: £119,786

Pellissier (63)
1-1
(HT 0-0)

Maxi Lopez (pen 73)

is that, "welcome special 'shitty' one"?

Anyway, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!! what a frustrating game yesterday Bloody Kjaer was like a rock, intercepting, solid under the high ball and perfect positioning, we just couldn't get through. We should've targeted Bovo more IMO. But Palermo deserved as much, maybe if they were a little more adventurous in the final 20 minutes instead camping in and around their area :RANT: :LOL:

And Cavani is something else... when he cut in letting Wall-E slide past, but then somehow managed to get tackled... i laughed so hard I nearly blacked out. Such a frustrating player. When I saw Hernandez, I though, uh-oh, but then Palermo by the point were happy with the shared point. Too bad for them I suppose, this was a winnable game for them. What's comforting for me is that Milan still have to play them away, so good luck to the both of you :LOL:

Roma on the other hand are slightly more worrying IMO. THey were missing 4 starters in yesterdays win, and they're only 4pts away, plus we have to play them away. In any case I'm 100% confident we will retain the scudetto. Well maybe 90% :P But it dawned on me yesterday, not only are Roma and Milan out of all competitions, but most of their starters aren't even playing international football (Pato, Ronaldinho, Mexes, Nesta, Seedorf, Totti, Perotta...). It was so very obvious that our players were tired and labored, and I just don't think it's possible for our current team to compete on all fronts (CSKA might look like a easy draw to some, but I beg to differ) and at the same time, maintain our lead in serie A. Plus we're playing a game like every 3/4 days, pobrecito, it's gonna be very tough for us.

rfu said:
is that, "welcome special 'shitty' one"?
as i said, it's not that offensive, minchione is closer to "fool" or "silly" or "goof".
and minchione is a single word. the separation "minchi...one" is just a wordplay on "special one"

as for our defense, that was a standard performance. we've been that brilliant this season in defense... and while kjaer is definitely something special, i gotta say bovo is not easy to handle either.
btw have u seen how balzaretti contained maicon.... he made 2 sliding tackes on maicon that were absolutely class. unbelievable timing and precision.
rfu said:
And Cavani is something else... when he cut in letting Wall-E slide past, but then somehow managed to get tackled... i laughed so hard I nearly blacked out. Such a frustrating player
tell me about it!!! i blacked out too..... for anger!! if it wasn't for 3 of his mistakes (one being when he basically tackled himself!!! :RANT:.... the other 2 when he decided to shoot rather than passing) we might actually have won the game (but that would have been an unfair result for inter, as u guys got lots of chances aswell).
and yeah, when finally hernandez came in i got to admit i screamed "about fucking time!!!"

u just can't get that mad at cavani though. i mean he's such an hard worker... he runs and applies pressure all over the midfield, that we just can't complain when he misses easy chances due to lack of oxygen-hence coolness.
....altough i got to say once jason remarked that cavani misses chances also at the beginning of the matchs (when he's not supposed to be tired yet).... wich is actually true :P
he's still very young anyway, and has lots of margin for improvement :))

Last edited:

Arghhhh Mancini should never play again. He is more useful to Inter when he is with other teams. What a chance he missed. The other big laugh is Oddo. He ran into Abiatti, knocked him down, and opened the goal up.

Flamini was great. Leonardo should start considering playing him oftenly but at the risk of breaking other player's legs. :D

Pirlo was good and Favalli also put in a solid performance. Funny that Kaladze will actually never play a game again with Milan after his recent comments.

About Balzaretti, what a class performance. He and Maicon were just a joy to watch. But hey, he must be nothing special if Grosso is getting picked ahead of him. Right? :P

as i said, it's not that offensive, minchione is closer to "fool" or "silly" or "goof".
and minchione is a single word. the separation "minchi...one" is just a wordplay on "special one"
missed it, we posted at around the same time ;)

btw have u seen how balzaretti contained maicon.... he made 2 sliding tackes on maicon that were absolutely class. unbelievable timing and precision.
I really wouldn't hype him up based on that alone. Maicon has had maybe 2 good games all season and 10 really bad games. Yesterday he was too exhausted to do anything, and when he did you noticed there was a gaping hole on the right (which Cavani failed to take advantage of, time and time again) because he was too tired to track back. Thank fuck for Zanetti. He covers for everybody :APPLAUD:

u just can't get that mad at cavani though. i mean he's such an hard worker... he runs and applies pressure all over the midfield
Yeah, he was pissing me off, putting our midfield and side backs under constant pressure, i was shouting at my computer screen, "man just fucking relax!", he never stops, like he's got a duracell battery up his ass, it's ridiculous. Anyway credit to Palermo, especially considering they achieved as much without Liverani and later, Simplico.

Arghhhh Mancini should never play again. He is more useful to Inter when he is with other teams. What a chance he missed.
:APPLAUD: It was genius to sell him to you guys. For a minute I was afraid he would score and we would be kicking ourselves, but then I was like nah, I mean it's Mancini, the guy couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat :LOL:. The guy is a waste and I bet Roma fans are laughing their heads off at us.

By the way, anyone know what's up with Aquilani these days? How did he fair versus Man Utd?

Flamini was great. Leonardo should start considering playing him oftenly but at the risk of breaking other player's legs. :D
Flamini needs more consistency but I would love to sign him as a replacement for Zanetti in midfield.

Last edited:

rfu said:
I really wouldn't hype him up based on that alone. Maicon has had maybe 2 good games all season and 10 really bad games
the thing is, when that monster has a very bad game, he's still more dangerous than an average sideback having the performance of his life.... let me tell ya, maicon spoiled u :P
u obviously know him better than i do (watching him every week) but i think u're being a bit harsh on him..... every time i watch him i get more and more impressed by that "force of nature".
anyhow, tired or not tired, those 2 tackes by balzaretti were awesome.
rfu said:
Anyway credit to Palermo, especially considering they achieved as much without Liverani and later, Simplico.
yeah liverani was clearely missed.... and the fact that u were tactially perfect (inter field coverage was absolutely flawless) made it even harder for us to build the plays.

anyhow credit to inter too. what a team! and when u think they had also the chelsea match on their legs.... wow!
by far the best inter i've ever seen :))

Aquilani came in as a sub against Manchester on 73 min. I heard he had a brilliant performance last week though.

Mostly injured I guess.

Aquilani came in as a sub against Manchester on 73 min. I heard he had a brilliant performance last week though.

Mostly injured I guess.

poor fella... it must be frustrating playing for liverpool theese days, let alone not playing for liverpool.

as for that "brilliant performance", i watched the match... it' wasn't really nothing special... i mean for his standards...
the thing is liverpool fans got overexcited coz they still have no idea how good alberto actually is.... let's hope rafa'll give them a chance to discover it.

any time he asks for a one-two, his passing target doesn't get it and pass the ball backwards.... he even yelled at insua because of this :P
found it. take a look at 15 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iZTVsPG6eE
lol! they're just on a different wavelenght.

if i were rafa i'd put all the players in a training pitch and force them to practice on one touch passing by unleashing some pitbulls to track the players down...
i'me sure alberto would be grateful :P

Last edited:

Anyone catch the Maxi penalty in the Chievo-Catania game? :LOL: What a joke. Seriously, I'm not sure what to think anymore.

if i were rafa i'd put all the players in a training pitch and force them to practice on one touch passing by unleashing some pitbulls to track the players down...
i'me sure alberto would be grateful :P
I think that's what Inter need. Nice vid by the way.

Last edited:

Wow Ben sorry, I didnt realise Juve were your second team ;)

Anyhow, it's not really just one match for them in Europe this season, they have been bad all this season in Europe - the only Champions League matches they won were both against Haifa. They got a draw and a loss with Bordeaux, and a draw and a loss with Bayern. Even last season they were not very convincing in the Champions League, if you factor out their wins against Real Madrid (who were in crisis at the start of last season with Schuster's departure) they could only draw with Bate Borisov twice, and then were beaten comfortably by Chelsea.

At least last year Roma did well against teams like Chelsea at home and beat Bordeaux (the same team your second favourites couldnt beat this year) twice.

This year Milan played good games against Real Madrid, Inter did well against Chelsea. Fiorentina had great games against Liverpool. The common theme is Juventus are not performing well in Europe at all - watching them is a poor reflection of Italian football, compared with the other better teams in Italy. And Juventus's poor performances have been substantially responsible for Italy now being on the brink of having fewer CL places.

And I'm not even going to comment on the behaviour of Juventus fans abusing Zebina and hounding their own teams bus on the Hammersmith Road.

PS Sorry about Cassano tonight ;)

Anyone catch the Maxi penalty in the Chievo-Catania game? :LOL: What a joke. Seriously, I'm not sure what to think anymore.

I think that's what Inter need. Nice vid by the way.

read what I posted on #4245, I thought it was just me...

Wow Ben sorry, I didnt realise Juve were your second team ;)

Anyhow, it's not really just one match for them in Europe this season, they have been bad all this season in Europe - the only Champions League matches they won were both against Haifa. They got a draw and a loss with Bordeaux, and a draw and a loss with Bayern. Even last season they were not very convincing in the Champions League, if you factor out their wins against Real Madrid (who were in crisis at the start of last season with Schuster's departure) they could only draw with Bate Borisov twice, and then were beaten comfortably by Chelsea.
LOL! Edmundo, u lived in napoli for a while, did u? hence u know how impossible it would be for a "half-napoletano" like me to support juve (as a second, third team or whatever). the only club i support is palermo.... and given my napoletane roots, i also have a special feeling for napoli, but that's it.
sure i care about juve.... but just as much as i care about milan or inter or liverpool or man utd or roma.

besides i wasn't even patronising juventus... at all. that wasn't the point of our conversation (i guess). u talked about how much of a "bad image" of italian football juventus is giving.
well i replied u shouldn't really care about it coz whoever bases his opinion about an entire league just by watching one single team performing in european competitions, doesn't deserve any attention.
that was my only point :))
edmundo said:
And Juventus's poor performances have been substantially responsible for Italy now being on the brink of having fewer CL places.
i'm not really sure they should be considered the main responsibles, mate. i mean, obviously without calciopoli, bundesliga would have never reached serie a's coefficient....
but the thing is, considering juve as the main responsible would mean pointing the finger at the champions league..... and i don't think that's the case.
u see, italian teams haven't really impressed in the recent years in champions league.... although one might argue we were really unlucky, as every italian team always got the scariest draws.... man utd, chelsea, again man utd, barcelona.... i mean this draw between inter and cska is a first time for us.... as every italian team who passed the group stage in the last few years met a team which was a favourite for the final win at the first knockout stage.....
anyhow yeah italians team didn't do wonders in champions league in recent years. but then again so did german teams..... actually bundesliga hasn't really done anything better than serie a in champions league.... their only "real player" in champions league is bayern.... and bayern too got spanked on a pretty regular basis, as much as the italian teams.

were germany did better than us is in europa league. coz german clubs really care about the europa league (or it's old format "uefa cup").
that's how germany reached italy.... not by getting better results in champions league (coz they didn't get better results in champions league).... they reached us by getting better results in uefa cup\europa league (and also by having higher attendance at the stadia...... yeah i know, it's ridiculous, but apparently the stadia attendance is one of the factors of the uefa coefficient..... LOL as if the attendance could tell us something about the quality of a team.... what a load of bullshits)....

so juve is responsible for the german move, yeah, but just as much as the italian teams who play in europa league......
and even though i'm sorry we're about to miss a spot in champions league, i can't really blame italian midclass teams for displaying their "b teams" in europa league, coz (as i already said) europa league is nothing but a waste of money and energies.
it would be great if they would just eliminate it for good, but obviously that's never gonna happen.

just to give u an idea of how much italian people care about europa league.... if palermo won't make it to the champions league.... if samp or juve will take the 4th spot at the end of the season..... then i sincerely hope also genoa and napoli will get ahead of us, so that we don't end in the europa league zone (from 5th to 7th place).... i'd rather finish the season in 8th place than playing in europa league next season.
and i can guarrantee, almost every genoa, samp, napoli or fiorentina fan shares my feeling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
what's wrong about this chievo-catania penalty? i haven't seen the game neither the highlights, anyone care to post a video?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

so back to the league, that's how the table looks right now.
inter 60
milan 59
roma 56
palermo 47

samp 47
juve 45
genoa 42

napoli 42
fiorent. 41

the situation is even more complicated than before. milan is still 1 point behind inter, but now roma is closer (-4 points from inter).
samp reached palermo and now we're both at 47 points, fighting for the champions league, while the battle beind palermo and samp got even bigger as fiorentina joined the rest of the group with their win against genoa. :))

Damn Mancini..
Even I, with a bandage blinding my eyes and a rope holding my ankles together, would have scored that goal..
And the ones that saw me play can confirm I'm not even anything special when it comes to scoring!!

what's wrong about this chievo-catania penalty? i haven't seen the game neither the highlights, anyone care to post a video?
Sorry Ben, I don't have the video right now..
But a colleague of mine, this morning, said that "it's been one of the worst disgraces I've ever seen in Serie A".
I haven't seen it either yet, anyway..

Last edited:

:CONFUSE:
that's crazy! what a blatant dive. can u imagine what would have happened if a top club would have been given such a penalty? everyone would be bringing back conspiracy theories :P

Back
Top Bottom