Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

Luckily enough, Lippi actually likes Di Natale :D And with Cannavaro returning to a brilliant form, the Italy NT doesn't seem so bad anymore :)

Oh, and just what did you expect from a safe team which just nearly avoided relegation, to be hyped for helping their hated enemies? :)

Nothing, really, to be honest. But it's SAD to see a team consisting of ONLY 2 players (Muslera and Brocchi). It's a disgrace.

And it has already happened before and it will happen again, there's no way to prevent it unfortunately.

If next sunday Daniele Conti (son of the AS Roma legend Bruno) decided to do his father a favour and did EVERYTHING to let Roma win against Cagliari, what would Inter fans think?
Oh, I would really LOVE to see this.. Please, Daniele.. PLEASE!!

I'm watching the Lazio vs. Inter match.. Only three words come to mind:

WHAT. A.
DISGRACE.

And I have 3 words for you:

untitl22.jpg

:LOL:

OLE OLE OLE OLE INTER INTER OLE OLE OLE OLE....

I gave up on the scudetto a lot of time ago, honestly.. And to be fair, my team wasn't even supposed to be fighting for it :D

Well, I have nothing against Lazio fans, really.. They have been 100% RIGHT supporting Inter. It's the Lazio team itself that left me disappointed..

You may argue that they FEAR their fans (which to a certain extent is true) but you can't, really can't, play (or better, NOT PLAY AT ALL) a match like that..

Yah luckily Lippi does like Di Natale and well, he's very good. I'm a big fan too. Who doesn't like him?

But of course Cassano and Miccoli will find it hard not to go to WC after their seasons! Or Pazzini if he's not selected.

I gave up on the scudetto a lot of time ago, honestly.. And to be fair, my team wasn't even supposed to be fighting for it :D

Well, I have nothing against Lazio fans, really.. They have been 100% RIGHT supporting Inter. It's the Lazio team itself that left me disappointed..

You may argue that they FEAR their fans (which to a certain extent is true) but you can't, really can't, play (or better, NOT PLAY AT ALL) a match like that..

It's funny how personally Roma and Milan fans are taking this. Have they not seen Lazio play this season? They are dreadful, piss poor, especially going forward. Following the 2nd goal, what incentive did they have? Why not focus every ounce of effort in the following two games instead of giving 110% for this meaningless game. Besides, Zarate looked awfully dangerous, at least to me. Too bad he's selfish. Kolarov had a decent effort with his right. He was even booed when he tried to gallop down the left wing :LOL:

Never mind two of their best midfielders were unavailable, and then Foggia is only just back from injury. Baronio was playing with an earlier injury. Reja was suspended for the match. I think Lazio put in an honest effort (and one point they strung together 20 passes before winning a foul) but you know, Inter are better. And by the 2nd goal there was little to play for. If anything, Roma should be blamed for pinning their hopes on Lazio. They have truly been awful this season. And can you imagine trying to play when even your own fans are booing you (I don't think you guys realize how close lazio and inter ultras are)? And then some ultras made unpleasant threats before the game. Lazio had no incentive.

Further words from Brocchi (from goal.com):

"The atmosphere in the stadium may have conditioned the way we played, but in the first half, we came out with the right spirit, wanting to score," the 34-year-old told LaLaziosiamonoi.it.

"We closed down the spaces well, and were doing well on the counterattack. We were able to play this way until [Inter defender Walter] Samuel scored.

"Until Samuel's goal, it was a strong Lazio outfit on the park, despite that the fans were against us. "

"Here in Rome, there is a paradoxical situation occurring. The fans think in one way, but the team demonstrated that it wanted to win. It is clear that Atalanta's draw [1-1 to Bologna] allowed us to play in a more relaxed mode, without major anxiety.

Last edited:

You cam't blame the Lazio fans. Funny how they booed Muslera after he did some tremendous saves. This banner was the best:

oh-nooo.jpg

Mourinho should have put Balotelli in. He did a funny gesture when hid his face with the ball when the camera was on him on the bench.

Have they not seen Lazio play this season? They are dreadful, piss poor, especially going forward.
Agree.

Following the 2nd goal, what incentive did they have? Why not focus every ounce of effort in the following two games instead of giving 110% for this meaningless game.
Yes, when you're down 2-0 you obviously don't fight anymore.
Plus they were SCARED of the fans even before the match started, and I think that Muslera (that honestly saved everything savable and maybe something more) was booed and insulted by his own fans after every save, so it's a situation in which you can't perform at your best.. But I've really seen NO LAZIO apart from Muslera, Brocchi and Zarate at times..

I think Lazio put in an honest effort (and one point they strung together 20 passes before winning a foul) but you know, Inter are better.
Inter are better for sure, no doubt about it. They're probably better than every other team in Europe at this time (funk, I seriously need some sleep.. I'm not supposed to write certain things :P) but well, the think I'm pointing out is that it's a HABIT of Italian teams doing such things..
We have nothing to play for anymore (unfortunately Lazio is quite safe) and the team we face has to fight for a seasonal goal? We lose the 99% of the times. The only remarkable exceptions I can think about now have been Lazio-Inter in 2002 and an older Roma-Lecce.

Furthermore words from Brocchi:
Which I already said has been one of the best players on the pitch, no matter what.

Do you think that Cagliari will play till death next sunday, with the most representative player of theirs being son of a Roma legend and currently Roma employee?
And there we'll go again: if next sunday Inter managed to lose (don't ask me how) with Chievo and Roma walked past a non-existant Cagliari with a 2-0 effortless win, wouldn't Inter fans be upset of that?

Be sure that I'll still say that there's something wrong, even if it comes against Inter. I'm a fan, but I'm still trying to keep a "honest" eye on what happens..

What I'm saying with this post is NOT that Lazio did something unusual, but that it's something typical of the Italian way of playing, and that it already happened and will happen again.

PS: And to be honest (again) I was still prepared to Juve coming to Milan not to battle and letting us win in the last day of Serie A to get a CL spot, but it's not necessary anymore.. Thank you Dinho :P

i really don't understand what's the big deal, seriously. lazio played its usual game. saying they didn't try hard enough it's nonsense. they did try. and it's also wrong to say the only lazio players who were trying were muslera and rocchi.
zarate played his usual game (namely trying to take on the entire opponent team just by himself and failing miserably after the 2nd dribbling). hitzlsperger played a very good game (he had something like 4 shots... that's definitely not the approach of a player who "is not trying hard enough"). foggia too was dangerous in a few occasions.

lazio played to win the game. and those stupid lazio fans who were celebrating inter's goals didn't even seem to have such a big impact on the biancocelesti's will to score. they didn't win simply coz they're not good enough. period.
there's a reason if lazio is the 17th team in the league table. they weren't even able to win against roma just 2 weeks ago... in the most important match of the season (for lazio fans and players).... they sure didn't lack of motivations against roma, did they? and yet they lost.
so what's the big deal now that they lost against a team wich is actually even stronger than roma? i really don'ìt get it.
ale said:
..it's a HABIT of Italian teams doing such things..
We have nothing to play for anymore (unfortunately Lazio is quite safe) and the team we face has to fight for a seasonal goal? We lose the 99% of the times.
whoa ale! that's a huge mistake u're making here! till 3 years ago your point would have been correct. italian teams who didn't have any goal left to achieve (those which were already safe from relegation and couldn't fight for a european cup spot) used to "go on holydays" weeks before the season ending, giving 3 easy points to any opponent they were facing in the last weeks of the season.
this was indeed a tipycal italian habit. IT WAS though..... as it isn't anymore, at least according to what we saw in the last 3 years.
today every team gives his very best till the end of the season no matter what, and i've got TONS of examples to prove my point.

let's just stick to this week matches. cagliari (which has nothing to fight for anymore, as they're already safe and too far from the uefa cups zone) was facing a team that was fighting for the relegation (udinese) and yet they tried very hard to win the match and scored twice (the game ended 2-2). bari litterally raped genoa 3-0.

wanna take a look at last week fixtures? chievo kicked the crap out of fiorentina. fiorentina was still fighting for a europa league place, while chievo had no goals to achieve anymore. the game was even played in firenze! and still chievo won 0-2!
an already relegated livorno outplayed and beated catania, a team which has been on a great form lately and which was still fighting to avoid the relegation.
cagliari stopped a very fired up napoli in napoli. once again, cagliari had nothing less to fight for, while napoli was fighting with palermo, samp and juve for the 4th place.

i'm gonna stop here, but i could go on like this for weeks. just consider the race for the 4th place. it has been decided exclusively by teams which had "nothing to achieve anymore". palermo lost the 4th place coz we weren't able to beat cagliari a few weeks ago..... cagliari had no goals to achieve, it should have been 3 easy point, right? well, cagliari tore us apart for about 70 minutes, and we were really lucky to grab a 2-2 draw and get at least 1 point (as till the 85th minute we were loosing).
and what about sampdoria? before palermo lost the 4th spot, they had a great chance to go ahead of us, and blew it loosing against bari! yep, bari... exactly another team which "supposedly" had no goals to achieve anymore, beated sampdoria right when samp needed to win the most.
and do u know why napoli is out of the race for the 4th spot now? coz they lost 5 very important points this month. they draw against cagliari and lost against parma.... they should have won those 2 matches and get 6 points out of em... as both cagliari and parma have nothing to fight for anymore. if they would have won those 2 matches they would be on par with palermo right now, just 2 points below samp.

i'm gonna stop here, as i guess that's already enough to prove my point. there's no such thing as an easy game in serie a anymore, as every team will try to play at its best even when the season is pretty much over and they don't have any goals to achieve anymore.
ale said:
Do you think that Cagliari will play till death next sunday, with the most representative player of theirs being son of a Roma legend and currently Roma employee?
i guess u don't remember how the last match between cagliari and roma ended :D
6 jannuary 2010. roma was winning 2-0 till the 90th minute... cagliari scored 2 goals in the injury time and draw the game.... do u know who was the cagliari player who scored the equaliser? yes, daniele conti, precisely that very one player whose morality u seem to be questioning. daniele is a roma fan and also the son of bruno conti (former legendary roma player, current roma's team director)... but this sure didn't stop him from scoring and even celebrating the goal.
i remember that game pretty well coz it blew up a 2500 euros bet. i had 10 results on that bet. each match already ended exactly as i wanted... cagliari-roma was the last match...i just needed roma to win that to cash those 2500 euros...and till the 90th minute roma had a confortable 2-0 lead......as u will probably imagine, i was "a bit cranky" when cagliari managed to score 2 goals in the last 3 minutes of the match.

so ale, i guess now u can see why there's absolutely nothing to worry about. yeah, both inter and roma will probably win next week, but sure not coz their opponents (chievo and cagliari) will lay down. coz, as i proved in this post, no one will give u 3 points without a fight in serie a. :)

Last edited:

so ale, i guess now u can see why there's absolutely nothing to worry about. yeah, both inter and roma will probably win next week, but sure not coz their opponents (chievo and cagliari) will lay down. coz, as i proved in this post, no one will give u 3 points without a fight in serie a. :)
I hope you're right there.. Unfortunately I'm used (or, as you point out, I should say "I've BEEN used") to this kind of behaviour and there are teams (e.g. Genoa) that already are on holiday.. This doesn't mean that they'll lay back for sure (well, Genoa did it but it's not like EVERY team is doing the same), but that they're not willing to give 110% and maybe risk injuries or bans for nothing..

See I'm absolutely NOT talking about agreements or such things, but just about teams with no motivation at all..

I'd say times are changing (see also Parma's game against Roma saturday) but I definitely won't say that they HAVE completely changed, yet.
And until they've not 100% changed, there's still a chance that some teams end up in "early holiday". I'm looking at Genoa but it can easily happen also to Siena and Livorno (which, in my opinion, still tried to do something against Sampdoria), and maybe to Atalanta if they don't win against Napoli..

We've been used for ages to this behaviour and it's not easy to "drop" this way of thinking for many of us..

Yet the examples you brought show we're walking in the "right" direction. Unfortunately many of those matches went unnoticed (for example I didn't think about some of them) because neither team of the match was struggling for relegation or for the title, but for me (still following the battle for the 4th place) Cagliari-Palermo and (on a different level) Sampdoria-Livorno are good examples that what you say is actually happening.

Still, I think that the likes of Genoa (which have nothing to say anymore) and Lazio (which are staying up for a good 99% of the chances, and just need Atalanta not to win both matches) are a little laid down currently and are already looking forward to the next season.
We'll also see what Siena and Livorno do in the next 2 fixtures soon. You know, "a pensar male si fa peccato, ma spesso ci si azzecca".

Indeed I didn't remember tha match between Cagliari and Roma and I'm not "worried" about how it's gonna end sunday.. First of all because Milan isn't involved in the struggle for the title, and then because I think that if Roma can't handle Cagliari they shoudln't even say the word "Scudetto"..

BTW, check out this Mughini video.. I can't stop laughing!!
YouTube - MUGHINI SBROCCA DOPO LAZIO-INTER PARTITA COMBINATA

Last edited:

Unfortunately I'm used (or, as you point out, I should say "I've BEEN used") to this kind of behaviour and there are teams (e.g. Genoa)
You don't remember that Genoa-Torino game end of last season when Genoa sent Torino packing :LOL: and for no apparent reason. Last game of the season, Genoa had secured a place in europe, Torino needed a win or draw to ensure safety. But Genoa had other ideas :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DDAHSqI8_A

About Cagliari, I watched them vs Udinese on the weekend. They looked dead and buried, especially after some Di Natale magic, but then out of nowhere... Lets just say I would be worried if I was a Roma fan. And by the way, I'm willing to bet Roma don't get all 3pts versus Chievo in the final round.

No doubt some teams aren't bothered towards the end, but that will happen in any league or competition. But I think people are just looking for excuses or scape goats. Like Inter fans insisting Motta should have never been sent off vs Barca. In spite of Sergio's con job, Motta should have raised his hands that high. End of story. It was a needless risk and we (well, he) paid dearly. So in sum, shit happens. After all the times Milan have squandered 3 goal leads, you should know this very well by now :P

I'm not surprised by Lazio fans, they already announced it a week ago, I also explained something to you a week ago.
Maybe according to football ethic is wrong so support against your team, but the main percentage of who today is angry are the same who have wished them to go to Serie B (I'm talking about Roma fans).
I repeat, it was an action organized by a week. Everyone knew it. It's hypocritical to be shocked. And I think maybe even the Roma fans would have done the same.

After all the times Milan have squandered 3 goal leads, you should know this very well by now :P
Well, the greatest 3-goals-comeback I've seen has actually been MADE by Milan: Tomasson, Kaka and Seedorf don't remind you of anything? :P
Last game of the season, Genoa had secured a place in europe, Torino needed a win or draw to ensure safety. But Genoa had other ideas :LOL:
Well, Genoa this year looks different to me.. They just seem not to have anything anymore.. Well, it means we'll see a boring and nonsense match between Milan and Genoa next sunday (Milan also uses to "relax themselves" and play pretty poor usually at the end of the season when they have no goals anymore)..
I'm not even bothered watching it, I'll probably watch Palermo - Sampdoria instead =D

And I think maybe even the Roma fans would have done the same.
Sure. There's no doubt about it.. The ones that now are wishing Lazio to drop to Serie B and stay there forever, would have done exactly the same if Milan and Lazio had been fighting for a Scudetto.
And there's also nothing to be surprised about Lazio fans.. It's just the team that looked poor and inconsistent: Lazio during the whole season has been poor, Lazio with no motivation (and even FEAR of their own fans) is just a DISASTER.

Last edited:

Can't f'n wait for Samp vs. The Pink! Lol

I have to say, I kinda want Palermo to win though. Ok maybe want is a strong word, not true, but I certainly wouldn't mind the Sicilians coming out on top. :) For once, I may not be so neutral. Nothing wrong with Samp and great form recently as well as in start of season has meant they deserve where they are, league table doesn't lie, for sure but overall, I feel Palermo will do more in Europe (be better Italian representatives) or strengthen / keep the squad stronger and are just a bit better.

Or maybe it's because I think Zamparini is probably more ambitious than Samp president (Not sure if this is necessarily true though) and has more money/resources available to invest should it be needed and should they decide, and deserves CL footy for his team after all he's done and being in Serie B a few years ago. Great gradual process of improvement. I still think he's a crazy bastard but hey, an effective one at that :) like lo zio mentioned for many reasons, couple pages back.

Last edited:

I hear the Siena pres is offering his player 2 million to stop Inter, two weeks from now :CONFUSE: 'kaaay, good luck.

Last edited:

The boss is a Roma fan, but the promise was to avoid relegation in anyway not to stop Inter I think.

How about that Matri mates. What a good player he is turning to be. Roma must be careful. Chievo will be the variable in this race though. Two very big games ahead.

yeah, matri is turing out to be a very good striker. let's hope he'll keep going like this.
PLF said:
Or maybe it's because I think Zamparini is probably more ambitious than Samp president (Not sure if this is necessarily true though) and has more money/resources available to invest should it be needed and should they decide, and deserves CL footy for his team after all he's done and being in Serie B a few years ago. Great gradual process of improvement. I still think he's a crazy bastard but hey, an effective one at that like lo zio mentioned for many reasons, couple pages back.
yeah, he's definitely my favourite crazy bastard! :D anyway it's really a shame one between palermo and sampdoria will miss this chance. both clubs have done so well in the last 8 years and they both deserve to play in champions league next season. both zamparini and Garrone (samp's president) bought the club in 2002. both palermo and sampdoria were in serie b those days. palermo was a "proletarian club" with 100 years of "silent history" (without any particularly significant moment or victory... with no silverware at all), while sampdoria was a "noble club" with a great past and a high class pedigree.

Riccardo Garrone and Maurizio Zamparini couldn't be more different. zamparini is flashy, flamboyant and loud, he's egocentric and adores to be under the spotlight. Garrone instead is extremely discreet and "low-profile". unlike zamparini, he preferes to stay behind the curtains. the class, the style and the elegance of this man knows no match in the world of football today. he's so classy moratti would look like del nido compared to him! a real gentleman.

but zamparini and garrone also have something in common. they're both extremely smart. they both surrounded themselves with some of the most brilliant financial directors and team directors.
they both chose to adhere to the so called "economically sustainable football" concept. a club should be able to fund itself, just like any other company. hence a football club president shouldn't get carried away and spend more money the club can afford, but do the right steps to increase the club's incomes and help the club growing without dumping it with debts.
both zamparini and garrone are quite proud of the fact that they were able to bring their clubs where they are today without resorting to english clubs and spanish clubs policies.
3 days ago Garrone was asked about the europa league final. a journalist told Garrone "how do u feel about the europa league final? 2 midclass teams will face each others, after beating some european giants. it looks like the midclass teams cheap revolution is paying its dividends in england and spain aswell, don't u think?"
garrone replied "i think we should all congratulate with both teams for such an impressive achievement, but i wouldn't really compare sampdoria to fulham and atletico. u see, sampdoria is now one heartbeat from champions league, but to get to this point i chose a different path. i'm told fulham has 230 million euros debts and atletico has 200 millions of debt. sampdoria has no debts at all and generates incomes for 40 millions euros each year. if samp would have wasted the fortune those club owe to the banks, then right now our club would be competing with the very best clubs in europe like barca, real madrid, chelsea or inter..... but that's not the right way to reach the top imo."

the funny thing is, he wouldn't even need to dump his club with debts, if he wanted to reach the next level and join the football highest class (chelsea, man utd, inter, barca, real madrid), coz he's just as rich as abramovich (and slightly richer than moratti!).
so why doesn't he go berserk and starts offering silly money for top players to improve his team, u might ask. well he once gave a great answer to this question. it was a while ago, so i don't remember the exact words he used, but it was pretty much like this....

"how do u educate your child? when he's a baby u provide him with everything he needs. u feed him, u dress him, u pay for his school education. but as time goes by, u start giving more and more responsability to him. would u buy a ferrari to your 18 years old son? of course not. coz it will come the time when your son will have to take care of himself, and he most likely won't be able to pay insurance for a ferrari with his first paycheck. so if u spoil your son, u're not helping him, u're damaging him.
the same goes for a football club. u see there's no football club in the world wich could afford to pay top players wages theese days. football clubs incomes grew a lot in the last 30 years, but the expenses grew even more. most top football clubs presidents recurr to the banks to run their clubs. but they don't do it for the same valid reasons other businessmen recurr to debts... they don't ask money to preserve their liquidity ratio... they ask money coz their clubs don't generate enough incomes to pay those expenses. from both the financial and the ethical point of view, this is an unacceptable policy. the only european top club which is not burdened with debts is inter, but it's not coz inter generates enough incomes to cover its expenses. it's just because moratti is a gentleman who truly cares about his club and disburse from 60 to 90 millions each and every year to pay the club's debts. now that's definitely more acceptable than what other owners do from an ethical point of view. but from a financial point of view, this is still a wrong move. we carry a responsability, as owners. we must have our clubs being able to stand on their feet. our clubs must be able to provide for their own expenses with their own incomes, coz someday we won't be here anymore and we don't know if our successors will be able to provide for our club's expenses.
that's why i'll never allow my team director to spend more money than the club generates. this way i can be sure that, when i'll be dead (or when i'll sell the club) sampdoria will always be able to take care of itself, no matter what. and that's what's most important to me.
if someday fifa will force top european clubs to more reasonable spending policies, then sampdoria will compete with the giants.... but there's no way i'll join this madness and put my club's financial situation at risk"

gentlemen, this is Riccardo Garrone :WORSHIP:
riccardo-garrone.jpg

i decided to write a post about him, as i guess most of u guys don't know him as much as u probably know zamparini. :))

anyway, it's gonna be an epic matchup. samp is more of a team, they're more solid and organized than palermo. palermo is a younger team, we're more unexperienced than samp, but we have something more in terms of technique and quality.

Last edited:

Nice story about Garrone, I always thought he was a gentleman btw.

If I'm to bet money on Samp - Palermo, I'd bet on Palermo. Younger yes, but has something that makes them shine.

I really like the team and the players, some of them really make me go apeshit (like Miccoli or Pastore, or Kjaer and Sirigu). In my eyes, all it needs is a world class defender, a regista that can replace Liverani and maybe some nice subs that can replace the starting players, and in a couple of years we may have a team that can actually fight for the scudetto.

Also, Hernanez is astonishing. Is it true Zamparini was able to "stole" him to Manchester Utd? I'm asking Zio about that :P

Yeah but I think Arsenal were even more interested in him than Man U. Nonetheless, Hernandez had a lot of suitors and Palermo snapped him up. Just like with Pastore who had maybe even more admirers and rightly so!

Ben, fantastic post! :WORSHIP:

And that's EXACTLY what I was hoping for when I wrote my last post. :P To bait you into writing a description of Riccardo Garrone who I wasn't at all familiar with but now know a lot about thanks to you. :)

And is he really as rich as you said?! :SHOCK: Wow!! What's his other business anyway that he generates that much money from and is so wealthy?

ofcourse, oil.

Last edited:

Luckily, Juventus seems to be using that financial fair-play too :) That's one of the few things that honours the team lately :( They really have to change the medical staff, or whatever causes all those damn injuries.

Coppa Final is fucking awesome. I hope everyone is watching.

Totti better be suspended for a good long while, until he's ready to retire. Such a loser. And how was Taddei, ON A YELLOW, not sent off?? How? Such sore losers, Grande INTER!!! 1 down, 2 to go... WOOOOOOOHHH

Like edmundo wrote at the bottom of this page, "It was a pretty poor show".

:LOL: @ Motta leap and then dive like he's made out of lead :LOL: But really, I thought Barca were classless, but this... :NONO: I wonder if we will hear anything of Roma's behavior. When it's Mourinho, Balotelli and Materazzi, it's page 1. When it's Totti, Perotta, Burdisso (trying to injure our players), Mexes, Menez and Taddei... well lets see.

Too many classic moments in this game, here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N1T1gtbzT4&feature=player_embedded

:LOL: too much... can't breath :LOL:

Hey Totti... NO TIME FOR LOSERS .. CAUSE WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!! 1 down, 2 to go... FORZA LA BENEAMATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

130166.jpg

P.S. anyone catch the lazio fans from the Lazio-Inter game with the "SCUDETTO GAME OVER" banner :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom