Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

Well Leonardo left us. Hard to lose him after what he has done to the club. Pretty sure Galli will replace him with Tassotti as his assistant or the other way round. Depends on Berlusconi and who he thinks is better to represent the image and face of Milan.

Last edited:

there's really no questioning gilardino.
btw i'm not saying this to make the point he should be our starter. in my ideal starting 11 pazzini would be the starting cf (as gila had a bad form in the second half of this season). i'm just writing this to remark how hugely underrated gilardino is. :))

Going by form alone is tricky. History has shown that quite often, players with seasons to forget can bounce back in spectacular fashion. Although I mentioned I would start with Pazzini (because he would combine well with Di Natale), I'm more confident about Gilardino's ability to convert chances. So maybe starting Gilardino would be wiser.

Come to think of it, it's a shame C. Zanetti didn't receive a call up. Now there's a midfielder i rate highly. One with personality and balls. De Rossi is too much of a 'back-seat' player to me, hiding behind his midfield partner... sure he's passionate, but he doesn't dictate the play like he should.

Whatever happened to Pirlo's tryout session in the trequartista position behind the front two?

that's a bit strange rfu. u do aknowledge de rossi is a monster of a player, but then u question his starter's spot by mentioning motta or zanetti?
zanetti is a fantastic metodista indeed, but given his injury history it would be extremely risky to call him up, especially when u consider there are number restrictions (just 23 players). besides we already have 2 metodistas who are better than him in de rossi and palombo.
rfu said:
De Rossi is too much of a 'back-seat' player to me, hiding behind his midfield partner... sure he's passionate, but he doesn't dictate the play like he should.
mate, de rossi does what he's supposed to do. he's lined up along a regista (pizarro at roma, pirlo in italy's team) hence he's not supposed to dictate any play at all.
if cambiasso were paired up with a pure regista he would do the same. that's the great thing about metodistas; they're versatile. palombo too is a metodista, but since samp has not a pure regista, he has to absolve that duty too (although in a different way).

i'm telling u rfu, the central midfielder position is the only one which is definitely covered in italy. with the de rossi and pirlo we have probably the best midfield partnership on the planet..... and we also have an amazing backup in palombo, who may take both de rossi's and pirlo's place, if needed.

as for pirlo's position, last year's confederations cup proved he can do pretty well in that position (although that's not exactly a trequartista's position... it's more of an "advanced regista"), so i reckon he'll play in that position in the world cup too.

anyhow guys, since stefano opened an italy thread, i think we should move this conversation in there.
to bring us back on topic, i think now would be the time to open our usual discussion about this season's serie a best 11... we still haven't done it this season have we? so what are your picks for the best 11 of the season? :))

Last edited:

besides we already have 2 metodistas who are better than him in de rossi and palombo.
Ooh! No way. Palombo is debatable, although we haven't seen too much of him outside of Italy. But De Rossi better than Cristiano? More talented, more technical, quicker, stronger on the ball, better at heading, better tackler, BUT C. Zanetti is better at spreading the ball around and dictating the pace of the game. I understand the need to take roles in their respective teams into consideration, but it doesn't mean De Rossi has to stand and watch when Roma is on the attack. Lets even take into account the games in which Pizarro is unavailable. To put it simply, De Rossi isn't a clutch player, the one who performs in a high pressure moment when his team is down a goal. He's an excellent midfielder but he doesn't make the difference. He doesn't take over the game like Gerrard or Matthaus, the sort who demands possession of the ball when the clock is winding down or when the game is on the line. The thing is, De Rossi is capable of being such a player. Very capable. NBA fans, think LeBron James, this past week at least. Undoubtedly the best basketball player in the world. Triple-doubles every other game, MVP awards up the ass... but when it counts... Anyone with any sense would put their money on Kobe Bryant (by the way, Bryant is fluent in Italian, just heard him do an interview).

Maybe De Rossi needs to move a top team like Real Madrid or Barcelona, teams that are expected win it all.

You're perhaps right about not taking C. Zanetti, it's a risk. He would probably get injured soon after his selection. But if Gattuso is getting a look in... why not?

to bring us back on topic, i think now would be the time to open our usual discussion about this season's serie a best 11... we still haven't done it this season have we? so what are your picks for the best 11 of the season? :))
That's easy, the Inter starting 11 :D

In all seriousness, that would probably be the case:

>Julio Cesar in goal, with Sirgu and Julio Sergio as back up.

>Samuel at CB without question, Lucio and Nesta will have to fight it out for the remaining spot. Maicon at right back. Javier Zanetti at left-back.

>Cmabiasso, Pizzaro, De Rossi and Sneiper in a diamond formation.

>Then Di Natale and Milito as the starting forwards.

What about worst 11?

Another pathetic display by Jugay. Several minutes left after going 3-0 down and yet no attempt to at least pull one back. Shameful. I would be surprised if Zaccheroni found work again for another top-half-of-the-table club.

Last edited:

Playing for Juve nowadays is just demoralizing and Pato was just too fast for Grosso. I mean Buffon's expressions summarize it all. He was just like I don't care.

Milan players had a decent game. Zambrotta did well. He is still a solid player and Pirlo was vital.

It was confirmed yesterday that Dida and Favalli are going. Jankulovski,Kaladze,Mancini also leaving which means a left back is surely gonna come.

I don't see the point of clearing out some of the older players in that Milan side and then bringing in 34 year old Yepes.

The media is perhaps harsh of Milan with their criticism of their "old age" policy but Milan don't help themselves by making decisions like buying another player aged 30+.

Serie A Top23 09/10 (based on performance, not only quality)

___________Julio Sergio__________
_______Samuel_______Nesta________
__Maicon_________________Riise___
_____________Pizarro_____________
_____De Rossi_______Cambiasso____
____________Sneijder_____________
___________________Di Natale_____
________Milito___________________

Bench: Sirigu, Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci, Cassani, Javier Zanetti, Palombo, Marchisio, Pastore, Miccoli, Cassano, Borriello.

Didn't fit in: Viviano, Julio Cesar, Kjaer, Thiago Silva, Cannavaro, Ranocchia, Caceres, Balzaretti, Kolarov, Vargas, Candreva, Pirlo, Hamsik, Cossu, Jovetic, Maxi Lopez, Pellissier, Floccari.

...and is it me the only one that doesn't find Cannavaro a bad player in the last 10 or so games? I really think he did a World Cup oriented athletic training...

"jugay"? Pure poetic talent..
Haha, I've been using that one for a while now. But really, there's nothing I can say or do that'll make Juve fans feel worse than they already. At least your season is over :P

I think these two signings will almost be certain: Yepes and Astori.
Have you seen Astori play by the way? He's going to be another Onyewu, a couple of preseason starts and then off to the bench.

It was confirmed yesterday that Dida and Favalli are going. Jankulovski,Kaladze,Mancini also leaving which means a left back is surely gonna come.
So that's why he was applauded when he come off. So he's retiring? Dida should've been sent packing packing a good while ago.

Anyway, Inter is about to wrap up the 2nd of 3 trophies. 180 minutes away from from greatness. How small is siena's stadium by the way?

LOL! I wish Milito would have waited for the 80 minute so we can see Mourinho field 9 attackers.

So that's why he was applauded when he come off. So he's retiring? Dida should've been sent packing packing a good while ago.

Not retiring. His contract expired. He will play in Brazil I think.

Serie A Top23 09/10 (based on performance, not only quality)

___________Julio Sergio__________
_______Samuel_______Nesta________
__Maicon_________________Riise___
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why Riise ahead of Javier Zanetti? It's bad enough that Maradona ignores him, but a regular serie a follower? Riise is one of serie A's most improved, but better than Zanetti at left-back? How so?

LOL! I wish Milito would have waited for the 80 minute so we can see Mourinho field 9 attackers.
:LOL: I can't believe he hasn't been made to pay for such outlandish tactical maneuvering. We did a left footer to provide width, and an extra attacker did open things up a bit. But still, rather risky leaving Cambiasso and Sneiper alone in midfield.

Not retiring. His contract expired. He will play in Brazil I think.

No, I meant about Favalli? Is he retiring now?

By the way, how do they get the trophy to where it needs to be so fast? Was it in Siena all along? What if we lost and Roma won? What if Milan were also in contention and were playing all the way in Palermo? How do they get it from point A to B, then C if needs be, and then back to A or B?

Last edited:

Pastore set up Cavani for another goal today. It will be criminal if he gets left out of the final already awful 23.

rFu as an Inter fan do you think Zanetti is a worthy sucessor to Il Magno Fachetti ?

I hope he wins a really big big trophy next Saturday because I know as do all Argentina fan's he must be really hurting inside. And that is probably it for him in the seleccion.

He is a million time the man Maradona is.

PS Have Inter shown any interest in signing Pastore ? This was rumoured a few months ago. Moratti likes the player.

By the way, how do they get the trophy to where it needs to be so fast? Was it in Siena all along? What if we lost and Roma won? What if Milan were also in contention and were playing all the way in Palermo? How do they get it from point A to B, then C if needs be, and then back to A or B?

Perhaps the holder holds the cup?

I heard they take 2 cups. One in each stadium.

And yeah Favalli is retiring. Yepes is his replacement. :D

Finally the season is over for Juventus.. what a dreadful team to watch...
No ideas, no sense of positioning, no attitude, bad players mixed with average and a couple of good players all mixed.

Will the direction quit after this fiasco of a season? I REALLY hope so...They just put another nail in Juventus coffin. A coffin pretty much built from that CalcioCaos fiasco.

Of course they are going to change their direction. It started already. Many players are gonna go and almost all the staff members or most of them are going to be changed, especially the medical one.

Ah! Thank god! I had my doubts that they would stay and claim that they had some 2 year program or something. At least those are good news.

Another thing. Rumours say that Juventus is going to get rid of Diego, is that true? I know that his style conflicts a little with Del Pieros but god Melo is just plain bad and i haven't heard anything about him leaving.

Lets just pray that they will sell the old crap Juve have and go buy something better. Namely a CB to line up with Chiellini, a solid right defender, maybe a right midfielder and another striker. Oh and a good manager of course.

I heard they take 2 cups. One in each stadium.

And yeah Favalli is retiring. Yepes is his replacement. :D

God help you, I seriously mean that. We're definitely going to be a much improved side next season, I would like Milan to at least keep up ;)

Seriously, I think Inter will dominate the league for another 2 seasons, could be longer depending on what acquisitions we make in the summer and winter transfer windows. I'm hearing Brighi, Bonucci and one other central midfielder we can alternate with Motta. My hope is Gokhan Inler from Udinese.

rFu as an Inter fan do you think Zanetti is a worthy sucessor to Il Magno Fachetti ?
I can't say as I've never watched Fachetti play but they look like they are both cut from the same cloth: two players who epitomize fitness, durability, consistency, fairness, professionalism and respect, basically everything we love about the sport. It's too difficult comparing two players from different eras.

Another thing. Rumours say that Juventus is going to get rid of Diego, is that true? I know that his style conflicts a little with Del Pieros but god Melo is just plain bad and i haven't heard anything about him leaving.
IMO Melo is played out of position. Well, he's a versatile player but he's not the sort to sit in the holding role. He alternated in that role in Fiore, in Brazil G. Silva is the holding midfielder. I would keep Melo, aletrnate him with Marchisio and then buy a proper deep-lying midfielder. Too bad about Diego, he's still a quality player, has he not performed better than Zizou did in his debut season?

Where is Ben by the way? Probably sulking somewhere :LOL: sorry mate, but it hasn't all been for nothing.

Melo and Diego are both QUALITY QUALITY players regardless of how this season has went. Both are great and among the best in the world in their positions.

This has just been a season to forget for Juve as a whole with few bright spots and many 'disappointments', it doesn't tarnish the quality of these 2 payers or new acquisitions though of course neither have exactly lived up to their reputation or performances at previous clubs, I still fully rate them and believe in them.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why Riise ahead of Javier Zanetti? It's bad enough that Maradona ignores him, but a regular serie a follower? Riise is one of serie A's most improved, but better than Zanetti at left-back? How so?

Actually that was the hardest decision, and I've gone for the redhead only because he did a magnificent season, better than Javier. Even though I consider Zanetti a better player, but as I said I wrote a team based also much on the season performance ;) not that Zanetti performed bad..

judging juventus players right not wouldn't be appropriate. there have been a lot of problems in torino this year, and some of em didn't even concern the players (but obviously had an impact on the players) but the management. so, if i had to rate diego and melo, i would repeat exactly the same things i said last summer, when juve bought them. diego is a fantastic player... but juve didn't need him (of course now that they spent 25 millions over him they'll have to rebuild the team in a way that fits diego).

as for melo, he's not that awful player u guys saw this season...... but he's not even that world class player many fans (and juve management) thought he was 1 year ago. he's a good player (nothing more than that), with an amazing talent in some departments.... but also some huge weaknesses in other departments. if he'll be humble enough to realise he still has to learn some things (about positioning, about tackling, about passing).... things that players usually learn when they're 16/17.... if he will be that humble and realise he has to work a lot on some areas, then he might actually turn to be a top player.... otherwise he'll never really improve.

the biggest problem about melo is that there isn't a role that really suits him, as his weaknesses concern different areas.
he can't be an advanced midfielder coz he just doesn't have the technique and the passing skill required. he can't be a regista, coz he has absolutely no vision, no understanding of the plays at all (and that's not something he can improve on). he can't be a mediano (holding midfielder) coz his positioning is absolutely rubbish and his timing on the tackle is pretty bad too.
the only thing he can do right now is to play as a holding midfielder.... but only when paired up with another holding midfielder who can cover for his lapses and spread the ball around the pitch (coz u definitely don't want melo to try anything creative at midfield).
his runs are usually very well timed, so if there's another holding midfielder covering for him, melo can become a dangerous player when he leaves his spot at midfield........
but he still has to learn a lot about football, so i really wouldn't rate him as a top player... at all!
and i'm not considering his bad season at juve... that's pretty much what i wrote about him last summer (u can check it out if u don't remember). i wrote he was a very promising player, with lots of talent, but who also has still many flaws in his game....
juve obviously payed too much for him (25 millions my arse, that's a top player price tag, and he's not a top player)... juve also didn't need him (as that position was already covered with 2 much better players like marchisio and sissoko and 2 much better backups poulsen and zanetti)... but, as i said about diego, once u spend so much money on a player, u just can't get rid of him after a single bad season (that would be a financial suicide). so juve's next coach challenge (and it will be a hell of a challenge) will be to find a way to have melo delivering like he used to do in fiorentina and diego delivering like he used to do in werder..... in the same time he's gonna have to turn this bunch of players into a team. good luck with that!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway there are also some great news for juve fans. the club is doing what we all wanted them to do. dismantle the entire management board and rewrite the organization chart from ground zero. the real problem of this club were not the players.... the main issue wasn't diego or melo or any other player. the main issue was the incompetence of the managers. now the agnelli famili is getting rid of all of them.
blanc is no longer the president. john elkann moved him to another department and asked his cousin, Andrea Agnelli to become the new president. NOW THAT'S A GREAT MOVE. u see the problem with blanc wasn't just his incompetence, but also his lack of authority... afterall, even though he was the president, he wasn't the owner. he was just another employee (just like the players and the staff). andrea agnelli instead is the president and the owner of the club. he's the son of umberto agnelli, the man who (along with his brother Gianni) built the agnelli empire. andrea agnelli, given his position and his role in the agnelli family, will have an authority (over the staff and the players) that blanc never had. and this will be a huge improvement for juventus.

and with his first move as juve president, andrea already proved what a difference he can make. blanc waited for benitez to make up his mind for weeks...even though juve had absolutely no time to waste...... even though benitez was not a good choice..... even though the incoming new team director (marotta) didn't thought benitez was the right man.
well as soon as andrea got in charge he sent a pretty clear message "screw benitez we can do better than that, we can't wait for him find an agreement with liverpool and i don't even think he's a good call".
this week juve will announce the new coach (del neri) and the new team director (marotta).
marotta is definitely a great choice.... he's not just better than juventus former team director Alessio Secco (anyone would be better than that noob)... he's one of the best in the business.
as for del neri, he might be good choice too (given prandelli, spalletti and gasperini were unavailable).... and he's certainly a much better choice than benitez.

a new president, a new coach, and a new team director. that's a very good start. now let's see what they can do. :))
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rfu said:
Ooh! No way. Palombo is debatable, although we haven't seen too much of him outside of Italy. But De Rossi better than Cristiano?
i'll justify your doubts about palombo with the fact that u didn't see too much of him (coz really it would be crazy to question palombo)..... and as for your doubts about de rossi being a better player than cristiano, well i'll just pretend i didn' t read that and move on. ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for your best 11 guys, i gotta say i'm really surprised to see u guys debeating about risse or zanetti for the leftback spot... and not even consider balzaretti, criscito and kolarov, who have been much better than both.
i'm also a bit surprised to see lucio in your team rfu... especially since a few das ago u wrote lucchini and gastaldello had too many lapses this season, to be considered top performers...... honestly lucio had many many... many more lapses and bad performances than both lucchini and gastaldello this season.
and i'm even more suprised that none of u mentioned ranocchia, who, along with samuel, bonucci thiago silva and kjaer, has been the best cb in the league this season (imo). nesta has been a god as usual (whenever he was fit), but he's been injured for too much time to be considered among the top performers imo.
those are not criticises anyway... i just didn't expect to see theese names. :))
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyhow it's been a great season, with an amazing finale. congrats to inter. fantastic season. the players and mourinho deserve all the praise they're getting right now (and keep in mind i'm not even a mourinho fanboy). congrats to roma too. this second place is almost as important as a scudetto, given how they got so far. one of the most impressive comebacks in serie a's history.
the race for the 4th place was even more exciting. it began as a 6 clubs race, but in the end it was a duel between palermo and samp. a duel samp won fair and square. so congrats to them from a (gutted) palermo fan.
and even though the rosanero didn't make it, i'm absolutely grateful to palermo for this amazing season. i didn't know how it feels like to fight for such important achievements till this season, and i gotta say it was a great feeling. i'm also grateful for watching such a nice football week in week out.

the most appropriate finale to a fantastic season. till 30 minutes to the final whistle palermo was 4th and roma 1st.... and then in a couple of minutes everything changed again... what a rollercoster!

Last edited:

Here's my team of the season:

I've selected a lot of players who have improved the most or were extremely consistent. It isn't based on ability, but just this season.

------------------Storari-----------------
------------------------------------------
Maicon-------Bonucci----Burdisso------Balzaretti
------------------Palombo-----------------
-------------Pastore-------Pizarro-----------
---Cassano-----------------------Di Natale----
-------------------Milito-------------------

Team 2:

------------------Julio Sergio---------------
Cassani-------Kjear--------Yepes-------Antonini
Rossi--------Valdes------Almiron--------Menez
------------Miccoli------Pazzini-------------

I thought Burdisso and Yepes has very solid seasons for their clubs. I also picked Antonini because I'm sure every Milan fan would say he is one of the positives after a very poor season. He has an incredible work rate. For my Team 2, I chose Marco Rossi and Jaime Valdes, who I thought were very consistent and important for their squads.

yeah, antonini, menez, valdez and rossi are some great calls indeed. i completely forgot about them :))

sorry for the little off topic, but most of u guys probably didn't see this interview, so i'm gonna put it here.
that's fabio simplicio's last press conference as a palermo player. i got to say i was really touched when he burst into tears.... u can really see how sad he is about leaving palermo, even though he's about to join a much bigger club and get a much bigger paycheck. :))
good luck fabio, i wish u all the best! :WORSHIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkK6HLtTEg

i'll never understand how such a player got called up by brazil only once..... especially when u think brazil's starting cm is melo and that julio baptista is their first pick as inside forward.... it really says a lot about dunga imo. :DOH:
end of the off topic.

Last edited:

Anyone have a manager of the season? I'd say its one of these guys: Mazzarri, Ranieri, Del Neri or Rossi.

edit - nice vid Ben! Always been a fan of Fabio since his Parma days.

Last edited:

Ranieri for me. Although I'm a huge fan of Del Neri from the early days at Atalanta, I must say that Ranieri succeeded (despite not winning the Scudetto) in the most difficult of the tasks for me..

so, if i had to rate diego and melo, i would repeat exactly the same things i said last summer, when juve bought them. diego is a fantastic player... but juve didn't need him (of course now that they spent 25 millions over him they'll have to rebuild the team in a way that fits diego).
I think they needed Diego given that they were looking to use a 4-3-1-2 formation. There are few better than Diego in that trequartista position. I had the same feelings towards Melo earlier on, before the season began, although I didn't think he would turn out this bad. Like you said, he has a lot of weaknesses, but I rate him higher than Sissoko. He's a bit like Cambiasso in that it's difficult to find him a partner that would complement him in midfield. But neither is an awful player worth getting rid of based only on one season's performance.

i'll justify your doubts about palombo with the fact that u didn't see too much of him (coz really it would be crazy to question palombo)..... and as for your doubts about de rossi being a better player than cristiano, well i'll just pretend i didn' t read that and move on. ;)
haha, cool cool, but let me clarify, not more talented than De Rossi, just more a confident and reliable performer. Definitely a better distributor of the ball. Keep in mind he has barely been fit enough to play at 100%. If only...

You know what would be a great midfield partnership, Palombo and Cambiasso. You know I rate Palombo, he's a formidable player, excellent positionally, certainly among the top 5 mediano's in Italy, but between him and a 100% Cristiano Zanetti, I go with the latter, 8 times out 10. But I haven't watched Palombo as often as I would like, so maybe there's something you know that I don't ;)

------------------Storari-----------------
Maicon-------Bonucci----Burdisso------Balzaretti
------------------Palombo-----------------
-------------Pastore-------Pizarro-----------
---Cassano-----------------------Di Natale----
-------------------Milito-------------------

Team 2:

------------------Julio Sergio---------------
Cassani-------Kjear--------Yepes-------Antonini
Rossi--------Valdes------Almiron--------Menez
------------Miccoli------Pazzini-------------

Oh come on, 2 inter players? Is that Jamie Valdes of Atalanta? The winger/attacking-midfielder, fielded centrally? Almiron? You think these two performed better this season for their respective teams than Cambiasso? Burdisso over Samuel... I can't take this.... I am kind of curious as to why you put Cassano ahead of Ronaldihno in that winger/support striker spot. You being a Milan fan also. And no Thiago Silva. Interesting. Menez? Booooo... that diving, cheating... BOOOOO!!!

as for your best 11 guys, i gotta say i'm really surprised to see u guys debeating about risse or zanetti for the leftback spot... and not even consider balzaretti, criscito and kolarov, who have been much better than both.
What? Criscito and kolarov are wing backs. Okay, you know what, JZ4 only played in that LB spot like 12-15 games so i can entertain the idea someone would pick Riise ahead of him. Kind of. Balzaretti, okay, he has been a reliable and consistent performer, all season long in that LB role. Also, what they do have over Zanetti is that both have offered their respective teams 'width'. Maybe I am leaning towards 'ability' rather than 'performance'... but then try and think of it as an honorary tribute to one of the greatest to ever do it. After all, this is most likely JZ4 last season in the starting 11, he can no longer be rated as the best right-back, certainly he isn't the best mediano. So that left back spot is all he's got. And to take that away from him (sob)...

i'm also a bit surprised to see lucio in your team rfu... especially since a few das ago u wrote lucchini and gastaldello had too many lapses this season, to be considered top performers...... honestly lucio had many many... many more lapses and bad performances than both lucchini and gastaldello this season.
True, true, that gaf versus Roma was a big "WHAT THE FUCK!!" moment for me. But he has come along way from earlier in the season. Lucchini and Gastadello though.... Try and imagine them without Castellazi (and later Storari) between the posts. That 4th spot would've been settled in Palermo's favor a long time ago.

Anyone have a manager of the season? I'd say its one of these guys: Mazzarri, Ranieri, Del Neri or Rossi.
What's wrong with Mourinho? This isn't "just put it on auto-pilot" type coaching Guardiola has over at Barcelona. He has coached a team with more world class talent than the rest, but this inter isn't yet a cohesive footballing unit (especially when compared with Roma). Does he get no credit for how well he has prepared the team, mentally? For the way he has juggled all three trophies, treating each equally, never once prioritizing one competition over the other? Big up to Mariano and Mijha, also Leonardo. This is a hard one, a lot of these managers have done equally well.

What about worst 11? Maybe Juve's starting 11 + Burdisso and Totti :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom