Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

Are Inter seriously fighting for Mihajlovic? :SHOCK: Well good for them.

Then all these players are wanting to leave also. Sneijder,Lucio,Maicon,Eto'o,Milito,... Inter can do some good rebuilding. They already have great options for an Eto'o replacement in Tevez.

He even tried for Ancelotti but he kindly rejected. :LOL:
Say whut? Dont think that happened. and please, no more milanistas, nothing more than informants for Galliani.

Are Inter seriously fighting for Mihajlovic? :SHOCK:
what's wrong with Mihja? maybe we need a bit of inexperience but after leo... Rossi is an interesting option but does he have the balls to manage Inter? Need a coach who'll hit the ground running.

then all these players are wanting to leave also. Sneijder,Lucio,Maicon,Eto'o,Milito
only maicon kind of wants to leave. Eto'o is on the fence. The rest are happy where they are. Still, it's early days yet. but we need to figure our shit out quick so we can start buying players, sort out the formation/tactics and be ready in time for 2011/12 season :COOL:

mihailovic inter coach? weird. i mean why? he hasn't really impressed as a coach. he's been pretty decent for catania and quite poor in fiorentina. of course it's still early to say what kind of coach he might become.... but if i had to bet on a serie a midclass club coach who might become great in a few years sinisa wouldn't be my 1st pick.... nor the 2nd or the 3rd. honestly so far he's done nothing to justify such a prestigious appointment.
he doesn't even have that much of a history with the club. i mean he's not for inter what conte is for juve or what guardiola is for barça for instance. he's just played for a few years with the nerazzurri (and when he was in milano he was already way past his prime).... then he's been mancini's assistant for 2 years.... that's hardly enough to call him an inter icon.
and on top of that, he doesn't reflect the archetypal moratti's coach (cool, young, fascinating, man of the world).
i do realize there aren't many top class coaches available right now... but sinisa still sounds a weird pick.
zeem said:
I hope Moratti doesn't realize Delio Rossi needs a job.
moratti would never pick rossi. rossi isn't cool, he isn't a handsome-looking man, he's not young and he can't speak 4 languages (fuck maybe i should apply for the inter job!! :COOL: )
he would obviously make much more sense than the other options i've heard this week, but i seriously doubt moratti would consider such a low-profile, and elegant person for the job. u see moratti is like a young girl. he must fall in love with his coaches.... they must captivate him. and just like any other young girl, moratti often mistakes "personality" with "attitude" and "balls" with "coolness". delio rossi is too classy, too low profile and not enough flamboyant to fascinate moratti.

i'd love to see rossi in a top club. he certainly deserves a shot (his carreer proves it)... plus it would be a huge slap on zamparini's face..... to see rossi doing great for inter (i honestly think he would).... but it's just not gonna happen
i believe if sinisa gets the inter job, then corvino will probably sign delio rossi. corvino is just too smart to miss such a chance.

Last edited:

Exactly. Moratti is desperate for Villas-Boas now. I think Moratti will even appoint Figo ahead of Rossi if he could. That's a common problem it seems in top teams. Clubs go for the cool coaches who reflect a cooler image of the club for the fans. That's why I think Leonardo got the Ancelotti job instead of Tassotti. Even when Allegri was appointed, Berlusconi and Galliani hailed his movie star looks. Stupid! Roma took a bigger risk even getting a young coach who is not familiar with Serie A at all.

About Mihajlovic, I doubt he'll stay at Fiorentina even if he doesn't join Inter. Fiorentina want to start a new cycle and Rossi seems a really good choice. Cassano heavily linked also.

he would obviously make much more sense than the other options i've heard this week, but i seriously doubt moratti would consider such a low-profile, and elegant person for the job. u see moratti is like a young girl. he must fall in love with his coaches.... they must captivate him. and just like any other young girl, moratti often mistakes "personality" with "attitude" and "balls" with "coolness". delio rossi is too classy, too low profile and not enough flamboyant to fascinate moratti.
I disagree, look at Cuper and Zacheroni. Last time we gambled with an untested manager it went tits up (Tardelli). Mihja has the right temperment and is cool under pressure. All the shit Fiore went thru this season he didn't crack, start crying or go off in a press conference. He's a crazy dude but he knows how to handle himself under pressure. Rossi doesn't strike me as that sort of manager. Moratti just doesn't want to waste his time and money (see Benitez and Leo) nothing to with being cool or flashy. If that were the case I would be Inter manager. We've also been linked with Dunga and Blanc. Nothing cool or flashy about either of them.

About Roma appointing Enrique, IMO its a long-term project, it has to be with revolutionizing their football philosophy, to play that possession style, passing football ala Barca, and what better way than to bringing the coach of Barca B. Still a gamble
though.

i'd love to see rossi in a top club. he certainly deserves a shot (his carreer proves it)... plus it would be a huge slap on zamparini's face..... to see rossi doing great for inter (i honestly think he would).... but it's just not gonna happen
Could be he's too impassioned and he seems to have problems with management (not that i blame him, working under lolito or zamprini would drive anyone crazy, but could be a reason nonetheless). If he wasn't hired by one of the big clubs after 4 years with lazio then there's little chance now.

Last edited:

Moratti just doesn't want to waste his time and money (see Benitez and Leo) nothing to with being cool or flashy. If that were the case I would be Inter manager. We've also been linked with Dunga and Blanc. Nothing cool or flashy about either of them.

Leonardo did a very good job in the Serie A with Inter. Actually, he had a higher winning percentage than Mourinho but he failed big time at the big occasions against good tactically organized teams. Even at Milan, in the big games against Inter and Manchester, we took 6 & 7 goals respectively in both legs of these games then he got outplayed by Milan,Schalke, and even Bayern this year. Don't expect a lot better from Sinisa. At least Benitez gave Milan a much better challenge and scored 4 past Tottenham in the first leg while playing Coutinho,Biabiany,Obi and having important players injured.

It depends on expectations though. I read a report from Tuttosport saying Moratti wants a one year coach so he can get Guardiola next year and that's why several coaches refused Inter. Might be total BS but Sinisa couldn't take you far and is a bit risky with 3 CL spots.

In other news, Udinese are about to get almost 40mill for Sanchez. Crazy!

Last edited:

Mihajlović is closer to Inter then Vilas Boas. It's good transfer for Milan :D

Milan is working on Ganso and Hamšik

Sanchez is definetly leaving Udinese, so Udinese in CL = EPIC FAIL !

Roma is looking for Bojan Krkić and Looks like ManCity make a bid for De Rossi of 30 Milions ...

Juventus bought Ziegler,Pirlo and Pazienza for now ... Probably they will bought Vučinić and one more Attacker ...

Looks like Milan staying The King of Mercato again, and probably The 19. Scudetto is Ours Again ;)

Epic fail? Huh, I bet they'll get further than AC will in the CL this season, with or without Sanchez.

I highly doubt that. They don't have enough depth right now and it's not only Sanzhez. Inler,Asamoah,and Zapata are heavily linked away, especially Inler and Zapata.

Let them get past the preliminary first. I hear they have a chance of drawing City.

Udinese to be on groupe of CL its enought I think they dont have capacity for more same as sampdoria last year !

Mihajlović to Inter

well if they get Mihajlović they have to think for next trainer that will com on January maximum coz they have to replace Mihajlovic after a bit time !

Last edited:

It is possible that all these players will leave Udinese, but you forget a small detail: Udinese will have loads of cash. And since Udinese have terrific scouts, they will surely come up with some new gems...problem could be that it will take time to build this new team.

I think saying that Udinese will be an epic fail shows a lack of respect for Udinese. Just the same as saying now that Milan will be champions next season is just a litle bit premature...

Looks like Milan staying The King of Mercato again, and probably The 19. Scudetto is Ours Again ;)

What, Robinho, Boateng, Cassano, Taiwo, Van Bommel? Pleeeease :FAIL: problem is we're linked with all the good players (Schweinsteiger, Sahin, Afellay, Ozil and Sanchez) and then we end up competing against guys with crazy money (Real Madrid, Barca and Money City). Taiwo is such a laugh though :LOL: Nagatamo would karate chop his ass to dust :P

I thought the same when people were saying that Spurs would knock out AC last season. :SMUG:

Oh no he didn't :LOL:

Last edited:

Udinese to be on groupe of CL its enought I think they dont have capacity for more same as sampdoria last year !!
i gotta disagree with u here mate. udinese is more than qualified to play in CL (just like samp was last year). infact udinese (even a udinese without both inler and sanchez) would still be good enough to litterally TEAR APART the 25% OF THE TEAMS WHO PLAY IN CL (just think of the teams who were in pot 4 last season: bursaspor, hapoel, cluj, zlina, partizan)......and to beat in a confortable fashion about half the teams who play in champions league (just add to the pot 4 teams those others which were in pot 3 last season: shalcke, rangers, copenhagen, basilea).

no mate, there's definitely no doubt udinese wouldn't be out of place in CL. i mean even when u compare em with some european big guns, such as man city or tottenham, they still make their damn good impression. the financial gap between udinese and the likes of spurs or man city is huge..... but on the field the situation is different. i've seen man city and spurs playing several times last season and i can't honestly say they would be favourites in a matchup against udinese.

and mind u the same could be said about last season sampdoria. sampdoria didn't make it to CL last season.... but that had nothing to do with how good of a team they were. let's be honest werder brema are a very good team but that sampdoria team was just on another level. the reason why sampdoria didn't make it against werder is the same reason why it'll be extremely hard for udinese to pass the preliminary stage this season: the TIMING of the matches.

as u all know serie a is the last european league to begin. most of european leagues begin at around mid-august, whereas serie a usually kicks off in the last week of august (or the first week of september). some of u might say now "so what's the big deal? it's only a 2 weeks gap"
well that actually is a huge deal, because the entire summer athletic training schedule lasts for about 4 weeks.
the first 20 days of summer preparation are usually anaerobic workout. the players just came back from holidays so they first need to work on their muscular tone. first u work on your muscular strenght, then u work on your fitness and stamina (don't ask me why, coz i don't know. i just know there must be a reason as every coach in europe does like that).
after theese first 20 days of training sessions the players are completely exhausted. they have regained their muscular tone, but they haven't worked on their stamina yet. they have gone though 20 days of anaerobic workout so their legs are heavy and their reaction times are awful.
the last 10 days of training sessions instead are focused mainly on aerobic workout. those final 10 days allow the players to gain the best form for the start of the season (although they usually reach their athletic peak on month after). during those last 10 days they also play some friendlies, because there's no better aerobic workout than an actual football match (u just can't simulate the aerobic stress of a 90 minutes football match in training).

so why am i telling u all this? to explain u what i meant when i said that the uefa schedule is fucked up and that the timing of theese preliminary rounds couldn't be worse for italian clubs. every season an italian team (last year it was samp, this season will be udinese) who has just started its summer preparation faces an opponent (it might be a german, english, spanish, romanian, scottish team.... whatever) which has not only already completed its summer athletic preparation program.... but which has already begun its season!! LOL!!!! how fucked up and unfair is that!!!

the samp- werder double match up we saw last season is the perfect example.
first leg was played the 18 august. werder had already finished their athletic summer schedule as bundi's season was about fo kick off in 3 days. samp players instead were still in the middle of their training schedule, as serie a kick off was still far far away (29/30 august).
werder only won 3-1, but if u watched the match u'll remember how the germans outplayed samp. the blucerchiati were lucky to score as the match could have easily ended 4 or 5 to 0 for werder. there was just no match, because while the germans were already in seasonal league form... the italians were heavy on their legs and just couldn't keep up with their opponents on a phisycal plan.

the second leg was played only 1 week after (24 august). samp had already almost finished its summer athletic program and was getting ready to start the serie a season (they were pretty much in the same conditions werder were the week before), whereas werder was already in "seasonal form", coz bundi had already begun.
mind u there was still a conditioning gap between werder and samp... but it was way smaller than the week before. samp wasn't already in "league form" but at least they had already gone through those last 10 days of aerobic workout.
the match was honestly as one sided as it could get. sampdoria litterally tore werder apart... it was like watching real madrid playing against a segunda division team..... after 90 minutes of football samp was winning 3-0.... and the result could have been even more embarassing for werder. but then, at the 93rd minute, seconds away from the final whistle werder finds a goal with a desperate "hail mary" try from pizarro. the final result is 3-1.... the exact result of the 1st leg. so it's extra time.
during extra time samp fell apart. that late goal from werder had a killer effect on samp players morale and the fitness gap between the germans and the italians was starting to show up.
werder scores again at the 100th minute and it's game over for sampdoria.

as long as uefa won't change their schedule, there will be preliminary matches in august. and italian teams are always going to struggle in august, no matter what sort of opponents they're facing.
of course rebuilding uefa calendar would imply a major change in both champions league and europa league formats..... so we will never see that happening.
we just have to deal with it and accept we will always have an handicap in european august fixtures.

but the fact that italian teams are always going to struggle in theese august preliminary stages has nothing to do with the actual quality of the teams, as there are SEVERAL teams in CL every year, wich are nowhere near as good as udinese or last season's samp...... theese teams however have an easier access to champions league because of the leagues they play into.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more with that last post Ben...
I don't understand how people can gloat (beforehand) in litle teams failing in the CL. Even if Udinese fail completely, the fact that they did finish fourth with a modest budget is a huge achievement. Teams like Udinese and Napoli should get praise for what they have achieved. They are financially disadvantaged and yet they do better than big clubs like Roma and Juventus...great achievement!

modest budget is quite the understatement my friend. udinese spent less than 20 millions to build this squad (a squad wich can count on the likes of inler, di natale, sanchez, asamoah, isla, zapata, handanovic and so on).

do u know how much they spent on wages this season? 18 millions euros. just to put things in perspective, according to the guardian special report (may 2011), aston villa spent 90 millions euros in wages this season (80M £); everton spent 61 millions euros and so did sunderland; fulham spent 55 millions, and so did west ham; birmingham spent 43 millions; blackburn spent 53 millions;
if u sum palermo's wage bill (22 millions) and udinese's wage bill (18), u get to 40 millions euros.... wich is still 4 millions less than what wigan spent in wages (44 millions euros).
this is how "modest" this "modest budget" is.

anyway i also tend to believe udinese won't have a good season next year, as they'll have to start from scratch again. most of the best assets will be sold this summer, as this is the best moment to sell them and make some cash to build the squad for the next 4 seasons. inler will go to juve or napoli, sanchez is going to barcelona, zapata seems to be going to liverpool, isla might end up in roma.

of course that means udinese will have loads of money to build their new squad (around 50 millions cash). obviously not all this money will be spent on the market, but even with half that money udinese could build an amazing squad.....
but it will take a few years to see the results of this summer transfer campaign (exactly as it took 3 years to see this current udinese becoming the amazing squad we saw this season).
i predict this is going to be a tough season for udinese..... but i'm sure they'll get the job done.... as always.

speaking of finance, have u guys read the annual deloitte report on european football (ity just came out a few days ago)?
it's crazy. i knew stadia ownership was a huge handicap for italian clubs.... but this is just ridiculous! how can italian teams even compete with such small incomes is unbelievable. we seriously got to hurry up and build our own stadium as soon as possible.

Last edited:

What, Robinho, Boateng, Cassano, Taiwo, Van Bommel? Pleeeease :FAIL: problem is we're linked with all the good players (Schweinsteiger, Sahin, Afellay, Ozil and Sanchez) and then we end up competing against guys with crazy money (Real Madrid, Barca and Money City). Taiwo is such a laugh though :LOL: Nagatamo would karate chop his ass to dust :P

Oh no he didn't :LOL:
give me the link where it writes that Milan wants Sahin,Ozil,Affellay,Sanchez !?!? - Do not lie !

Nagatomo better than Taiwo ??? omFg

We showed that we are better then Inter ;)

Aboutreika18 Talks about Tottenham, but do you remember that half of our team vas injured ? and in that time Scudetto was bigger priority

boy, that is one long article! even by my standards!! :P
thanks for the link abou. gonna see if i can find some time to go through it later. :))
rfu said:
I disagree, look at Cuper and Zacheroni. Last time we gambled with an untested manager it went tits up (Tardelli). Mihja has the right temperment and is cool under pressure. All the shit Fiore went thru this season he didn't crack, start crying or go off in a press conference
true. i was kinda harsh on moratti and sinisa indeed. to my defense, i wasn't being 100% serious (i compared moratti to a girl afterall)... however there was some truth in my post. u might not want to call it "coolness", but certainly the "allure" of a coach is a factor wich is usually considered by top clubs.
it's not always a decisive factor, like u remarked with those examples (sinisa himself would be another good example), but sometimes it is.
i mean let's be honest, leonardo's allure was the only reason why he got 2 coaching jobs in serie a. no one with such poor coaching skills would get a job in italy.

as for rossi, i tend to agree with u. if he didn't get a top club job after the miracle he performed at lazio, i can't see him getting a top club appointment now. it's quite sad.
to me he's by far the best coach in serie a today.... and i'm not saying this coz i'm a palermo fan. i already said it on this forum several years ago (when he still was lazio coach).

Pozzo asks 50 millions for Sanchez: If they actually manage to sell him I see a couple of "Zicos" incoming.
If they manage to even sell Zapata to Liverpool for a good sum (meaning at least 20 millions) I'll officially declare Udinese Eternal Emperor of Calciomercato in an official ceremony to be held in the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

There's this excellent article about Udinese's clever financial plan I came across a while back: http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/05/udinese-selling-their-way-to-top.html

absolutely brilliant article. just read it. not a single mistake in it.... well actually there's a little mistake. udinese doesn't have a partnership with granada.... they share the same owner, as the pozzo family bought granada football club (and they're doing wonders also with that club btw).
oh and also it's not true that pozzo senior called himself off the management to give a bigger role to his son. Gino Pozzo (the father) is still completely in charge at udine. his son has a supporting role in udine and is much more involved in the granada management (infact the son lives in spain).
apart from theese 2 irrilevant mistakes, it was an absolutely brilliant read. thanks for the link abou. gonna bookmark this blog :))
hey there said:
Pozzo asks 50 millions for Sanchez: If they actually manage to sell him I see a couple of "Zicos" incoming.
pozzo is playing hard to catch (wich is what he's supposed to be doing), but i believe alexis is gonna leave for around 28 millions (wich would be great business for both udinese and the buyer as that would be a perfect pricetag).
as for sanchez's replacement, no need to look for young zicos. pozzo already has the perfect replacement for alexis. he's italian and is about to come back to udine, after spending last season on loan in a serie b team :))

Last edited:

I have this blog already bookmarked. Truely has some amazing stuff. What led me to it was a huge article on Milan's financial situation and the Ibrahimovic signing. It was brilliant with graphs and everything. Check it out under clubs but you need time to catch on all the articles they have. Great blog indeed.

Great posts about Udinese. I won't post much here but I read you a lot (my knowledge of Calcio is not as good as it used to be).

I have to stress on ho wimportant is the timing of the CL first rounds, as zio stated. Spanish and italian teams always struggle more than the rest in this round. I still remember Barcelona being knocked out in the first round during the Cruyff era against germans that could run like machines compared to our tired boys.

The only thing would be to delay a little the CL calendar until all leagues have started. Or bloody unify the clanedars of all federations!

By the way, I think Udinese will perform bravely in CL. I hope so.

I highly doubt that. They don't have enough depth right now and it's not only Sanzhez. Inler,Asamoah,and Zapata are heavily linked away, especially Inler and Zapata.

Let them get past the preliminary first. I hear they have a chance of drawing City.

That's not possible. Man City are direct into the group stage after finishing 3rd, the English team in the play offs is the Arsenal.

Udinese are definately NOT seeded for the draw. It means they could face one of the following:

Bayern München
Arsenal
Lyons
Villarreal
another team
another team

These "another team"s will be a high seed that came through the previous non-Champions qualification. Maybe someone like Benfica or Dinamo Kiev. But it is a 66% chance it will be one of those 4 teams listed above. Maybe they might get through against Lyons but the rest would be very difficult, with or without Sanchez.

u should post more often here drek. no particular serie a knowledge is required to chat in here afterall ;)

getting to your point, the problem about coordinating european domestic leagues calendars is that it would be pretty much impossible, due to different weather conditions. starting the season in mid-august is fine for the epl or bundesliga, but it's impossible in italy and spain.
italy and spain are the awesome countries to stay in, during summer, but certainly not for football.... u sure don't want to play a 90 minutes football match in firenze or sevilla during august (unless u're looking for a heatstroke).

in the last few years serie a even tried to start the season earlier (till a few years ago serie a used to kick off in september, while today we begin around 28\29 august), but the result was terrible, as the first week of serie a calendar usually displays some of the worst football u could possibly imagine (due to the heat and humidity in some cities). the players also complained and remarked how stupid it is to play football in august.
so if anything, we should kick off our season even later than late august (mid september would be perfect).

the only solution to avoid this situation to cause an unfair handicap for spanish and italian teams would be to pospone the entire uefa calendar (intertoto and preliminary stages), but that's impossible coz the uefa schedule is already full as it is.
that brings us to the inevitable conclusion: no intertoto, no preliminary stages at all and a less hectic uefa calendar.....
.... but that would imply a major change in champions league and europa league formats, wich would mean less matches. and since less football matches=less money, uefa won't ever do that.
like i said before, i'm afraid this is a problem we'll have to live with.

little note: this season palermo is gonna play the europa league preliminary round in july!!! the 28th july...... WHAT A JOKE! honestly if i were palermo owner i wouldn't even let my team play this match. that's ridiculous.
edmundo said:
Udinese are definately NOT seeded for the draw. It means they could face one of the following:

Bayern München
Arsenal
Lyons
Villarreal
another team
another team
:SHOCK: holy shit!! playing against bayern or arsenal in august?!? poor guys, they don't stand a chance!!!
i really feel for udinese. u work so hard all season long, manage to get a champions league spot.... and all this for what? to play against a top club wich is gonna be 3 weeks ahead of u in athletic preparation. this is just cruel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom