Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

The solution would be to reduce domestic leagues to 16-17 teams and reducing the absurd ammount of international friendlies to free up some dates and start everything later.

But as you say, less matches = less money and no one thinks of players as human beings, only market products.

It comes to the silly point of playing the first league match on 28 august, then 2 international friendlies, a CL round and 3 weeks later the second league match (that happened last years in Spain).

Really, they should try to unify at least the number of teams per league and reduce it to 16-17 teams, and have 2nd divisions with up to 20 teams then, as the 2nd division players usually don't play european nor international matches. It would get the 2nd division even more competitive than it already is in Spain at least. Don't know much about Italy and england 2nd divisions.

If Udinese has to face any of those, it really will be hard. A pitty and very unfair considering other teams that will reach group league.

It comes to the silly point of playing the first league match on 28 august, then 2 international friendlies, a CL round and 3 weeks later the second league match (that happened last years in Spain).
yep, same happened in serie a aswell last season.

oh and about your 16 clubs league proposal, i'm 100% with u on this.
actually i'd go even further than that. 16 clubs per league. bring back the champions league to its original nature (less clubs in it and eliminatory rounds from day one, without any groups stage at all), no european preliminary stages at all and only elimination rounds also for europa league.
i believe such a revolution could do wonders for football.

it would increase hugely the QUALITY of the football played on the pitch.
it would increase hugely the competitiveness of the leagues (midclass clubs would have serious chances to become title contenders).
it would be much easier for midclass clubs to hold their most talented players.
running a football club would become a lot less expensive (as u wouldn't need a 25 players roster).

but anyway that's never gonna happen. infact when u think of how in the last decade europa league and champions league grew to become some sort of international leagues.... and how domestic leagues themselves grew (serie a was a 18 clubs league till a few years ago), it's quite obvious we're headed in the opposite direction.

Similarly other teams are also calendar victims. One example: Copenhagen.
In the group stage they were outstanding and made life difficult for Barcelona. They had to play Chelsea in the middle of their winter stop after nog having played for a two or three weeks...of course they were eliminated.
Russian teams face a similar problem because the Europa Cups are played over two of their seasons...

PS: drekkard, i don't know much about Italian football either and still i add my one or two cents...this thread needs guys like you...

well what i want to said its that Udinese maximum that will go will be its Grupe i think

not coz i dont like or something like this but I dont really see them so up like Tottenham this season example or maybe Schalke , even if Im hoping to have one surprise in CL but it looks imposible with teams that are spending so much money

however without Sanchez I think its like Sampdoria without Cassano this season (I know he was playing for qualification last year) just the class is with Di Natale and Sanchez Im not sure how Succsesfull with be Udine without one of them , however need to wait and see

btw. I think if they have City against in Qualification will be more easy than with one low team (sorry but i think City can fail vs teams like Udinese but Udinese also can fail with little teams) !

About the format of the CL: i agree with you Ben...but why not only admit the clubs who were effectively Champions...that would make competition more even between the various leagues.

Now a good player will not go to Ajax, Benfica or Anderlecht but prefer teams that can finish third (but will certainly not be champions) in big competitions. I'm pretty sire if only the champions would play the CL then smaller clubs would attract bigger players...but this will never happen..

That would never happen gerd. UEFA are closer to giving the EPL an extra CL spot instead of doing what you suggested. A year ago, Florentino Perez had a serious idea of making a super league for the top clubs only, meaning no group stages, but only knockouts between the top clubs of the world. This shows things are not getting better but worse if some owners are considering such things.

I don't have any doubt that things are going for worse and to squeeze up to the last drop of gold of players and fans.

I like the idea of going back to old good knockout rounds, but then I remember that Barcelona never won the Champions with pure knockout rounds!

About the format of the CL: i agree with you Ben...but why not only admit the clubs who were effectively Champions.
if u read carefully my last post u'll notice i wrote "less clubs in it and eliminatory rounds from day one, without any groups stage at all".
by less clubs i meant only 1 club (2 clubs tops for each domestic league).
it would also be a great way to revaluate europa league, wich has become an absolutely worthless league.
but yeah, that's never gonna happen.

Valon i see your point. but i think udinese is a lot more than just di natale and sanchez. a great attack just isn't enough to get a 4th spot in serie a.
midfielders like inler and asamoah would be great additions to several top clubs in europe (and when i say great additions i mean starting formation material); isla has been one of the top performing rightbacks in serie a this season; zapata has eventually found again his best form, after his injury problems in the last few years; and u won't find many goalkeepers more reliable than handanovic.
this is by all means a great team, and i'm talking about the whole team.

exactly like sampdoria was a great team. cassano was just the icey on the cake, but he was far from being the most important player in samp. and he was not the reason why samp got relegated.
the most important samp players were palombo, pazzini, gastaldello and lucchini. and it was their form drop (and pazzini's departure) wich caused sampdoria's problems.

players like sanchez or cassano (or pastore) will always get the spotlight because they're "fancy", they're hyped. make no mistake they do deserve such praise, as they are indeed great players...... but their teams' success doesn't rely entirely on them.
just like cassano wasn't samp's best player, sanchez isn't udinese's best player. di natale is the only unreplacable asset in udinese. of course sanchez is more appreciated because di natale is old and today u can't be "fancy" if u're over 26 years old...... (even though u're a supporting striker with a messi-esque touch, who despite the pretty serious inconvenient of "not being a cf", still managed to become serie a's top scorer for 2 seasons in a row :SHOCK: )

udinese could do well in champions league even without sanchez.... probably even without both inler and sanchez.
without isla, inler, sanchez and zapata it would be quite more complicated, but they would still be a much better team than some teams we saw in champions league in the last few years.
but anyway that doesn't matter, as they will never be able to beat a german or an english team in august, so they most likely won't reach the group stage.

Valon i see your point. but i think udinese is a lot more than just di natale and sanchez. a great attack just isn't enough to get a 4th spot in serie a.

yeah mate i know this but many times 1 player or 2 players its key of all team and 1 player can "broke" a team if leave

example i think if Messi goes away from Barca or Xavi team will not be the same Im not saying that there play just them but they are big players on theyr teams and succses its deepens from them (not all but not a bit too)

example look at Liverpool when Alonso has gonne its not more the same even if we still have Gerrard he dont have player that did all with him in center of field , what I want to say its that if this 2 players go away I dont know how others will replace them and how they will be succsesful with other players that u talk , that 2 players can broke system of all team .....

however its good deal for team like Udiniese a lot of money from Sanchez and if they go in CL grupe they also gonna take a lot of money so its good for them with that money they can do one other team with good players ;)

I really like politic of Udinese they always have "someone" to do famous and take money so not so bad for them and i think they priority its this buy cheep do them famous and give them to big teams for a lot of money ;)

maybe its time Palermo sell Pastore too its time to take some money from him now and not keep too much and after sell for a bit of money !

yeah mate i know this but many times 1 player or 2 players its key of all team and 1 player can "broke" a team if leave

example i think if Messi goes away from Barca or Xavi team will not be the same Im not saying that there play just them but they are big players on theyr teams and succses its deepens from them (not all but not a bit too)

example look at Liverpool when Alonso has gonne its not more the same even if we still have Gerrard he dont have player that did all with him in center of field , what I want to say its that if this 2 players go away I dont know how others will replace them and how they will be succsesful with other players that u talk , that 2 players can broke system of all team .....
yup, good point indeed.
well loosing 2 players like sanchez and inler is certainly going to have a big impact on the team, coz even if they'll find some young players who could replace them, it's gonna take sometime to develop them into complete and mature players. i could see for instance that kid fabbrini taking sanchez's spot next season.... the kid certainly has the talent and the technique to take sanchez's place... but he's 2 years younger than sanchez, he's very unexperienced and has just made his debut with empoli's first squad this season (the fact that he became a starter straight away and collected about 60 appearances with the first squad kinda gives u an idea of what sort of talent we're talking about). so, it's probably gonna take a couple of seasons to see fabbrini fully develop his potential. afterall that's exactly what happened with sanchez.

anyway we've already seen this before. udinese is (along with palermo) the italian club who has sold most great players in the last decade. and whenever they sell a great player (it might be fiore or grosso... pizarro or toni... quagliarella or cavani) people always ask themselves "how is te team gonna cope with such an important departure next season?"
yet, everytime both palermo and udinese come up with a new gem of a player.
of course it's not gonna be easy next season.... but then again, clubs like udinese and palermo can't afford "the easy way" ;) .

besides i believe that the really unreplacable player in udinese's squad... the one without whom the entire team could fall apart, is di natale :))
as for pastore, yeah, he probably leaving...... but only after the copa america. zamparini knows a few good performances with argentina could boost pastore's pricetag.
----------------------------------------------------------------

looks like now gasperini is in pole position to get the inter job..... how do u guys feel about that?

Last edited:

Inter have quite a few players who played under him Genoa. Kharja, Milito, Motta, Ranocchia...

Is he good enough to coach a top-level club like Inter though?

Well at the very least, I doubt he'll be as tactically naive as Leonardo.

Bah.. Parma paid the fee for Giovinco, how disappointing.. And what angers me is that we got Motta, our worst player last season. Matri is another case-study, i would never, ever pay 15M for him. Well played by Cagliari, got themselves a brilliant deal. At least i hope Marottaa can secure Lichtsteiner and then Rossi or Aguero, that could balance thing out.

They actually made the Motta deal permanent? :LOL:

Either they couldn't find a better alternative or they're banking on him replicating his form at Roma.

yeah, it's looking like a done deal. not sure about gasperini coaching at this level. seems like an interim coach to me, someone to steer the team until someone better hops along.

dont know if i mentioned it but reason why we got turned down by other coaches is that Moratti only offered a 1yr contract with extension based on performance. i can't imagine many coaches would go for that one, unless they were desperately looking for work.

hoping for Pep next season eh?

Pep gonna fial too with Inter I think , better he dont change barca if he want to have fame yet coz in other teams he dont have same as he have there !

______

seems like Udinese want 50 m for Sanchez i think they saw many teams interest on him and when man city put nose price go double crazy that are to much money I personaly dont think he merit that..!

sorry my bad english :COAT:

dont know if i mentioned it but reason why we got turned down by other coaches is that Moratti only offered a 1yr contract with extension based on performance. i can't imagine many coaches would go for that one, unless they were desperately looking for work.
nah, that's not the reason mate. gasperini got a 2 years contract infact (wich is quite usual in serie a).
bielsa refused coz apparently he already had a gentlemen's agreement with another club. spalletti and capello rejected the offers coz they don't feel like leaving their current jobs (no wonder about capello, as the england job was one of his dreams.... i wonder how much money spalletti is getting in russia though... coz he really seems to be loving his time in russia). ancelotti already declined a roma offer, so he was never gonna take the inter job. besides i find it hard to believe moratti really made a proposal to carletto.

i see there's not much love for gasperini in here..... wich makes me believe u guys haven't watched much of genoa in the last few years. i can see things going very well or very bad for inter, accordingly to the approach moratti will assume.

anyway gasperini is certainly not an interim coach..... for a short term solution u need a handler..... gasperini is NOT a handler, he's a teacher.
and he's definitely not comparable with leonardo. leonardo has been by far the worst coach in serie a in the last 4 years, whereas gasperini has been among the best.
gasperini falls into the allegri category (i'm just talking about skills here, they're actually pretty different from each others, but both damn good), so we're very distant from leonardo

i'm very curious about this appointment. this could be a great chance for inter to build the foundations of a new squad.... a chance to completely change inter's football.
gasperini has a very specific idea of football. and he's very good at getting his players to play exactly as he wants. but this inter squad doesn't seem to be suited to gasperini's football imo.

gasperini's football is very high paced, it's bold, it's based on possession and quick passing game...... and this really doesn't sound like inter. that's why i said a lot will depend on moratti's approach. if moratti will suppport gasperini and get him the players he asks, then i can see gaspa having on inter the same impact allegri had on milan..... otherwise it will be impossible for gasperini to do his magic without more quality and pace at midfield and along the flanks (gaspa's football relies a lot on the wingbacks).
neoexodus said:
Bah.. Parma paid the fee for Giovinco, how disappointing.. And what angers me is that we got Motta, our worst player last season. Matri is another case-study, i would never, ever pay 15M for him. Well played by Cagliari, got themselves a brilliant deal. At least i hope Marottaa can secure Lichtsteiner and then Rossi or Aguero, that could balance thing out.
cheer up mate. apparently the agnelli family is about to hand marotta about 70 millions to spend on the market. let's just hope they won't tie his hands and let him continue the squad building project he began with del neri. and let's hope conte will turn out to be a good coach of course :))
valon said:
seems like Udinese want 50 m for Sanchez i think they saw many teams interest on him and when man city put nose price go double crazy that are to much money I personaly dont think he merit that..!
pozzo is just playing his role in this dance. pozzo is a sly fox and always drives a hard bargain. sanchez is certainly not leaving for 50 millions and pozzo is well aware of that... he's just trying to make the most out of this sale. also zamparini is "officially" asking 50 millions for pastore.... but obviously the real pricetag will eventually be smaller than that :))

Barring last season, I thought Gasperini's Genoa played some of the most exciting football in Serie A over the past few years.

Juve did a good thing by buying those players. The money is a bit much but they are a good base for the future. Young and very good. Surprised they didn't buy Aquilani though. He was the best of the bunch and Liverpool are only asking for 10 mill. Strange!

leonardo has been by far the worst coach in serie a in the last 4 years

Seriously! I think you are being too hard on him. I never considered him a coach. More of a temporary solution. Both teams were in rock bottom when he took over and he did a very good job in letting them survive their normal standards. I doubt Moratti and Galliani were going to start a cycle with Leonardo. Plus, he can't be worse than Simeone. :LOL:

Is Leonardo even a coach at PSG or a director?

Director of football in a supposedly new ambitious project since they were bought out by a Qatari group (Qatari Sports Investment I think). Good I say. It's about time Paris has a top club. Now we may end up seeing one.... may..

As for Gasperini, I think it's a better appointment than most think. I would have liked to see him or Delio Rossi at La Viola more though but if they give him the support he needs and the respect he needs to have/gain from the players, I think he'll do a good job. Better than Rafa or Leonardo.

nah, that's not the reason mate. gasperini got a 2 years contract infact (wich is quite usual in serie a).
bielsa refused coz apparently he already had a gentlemen's agreement with another club. spalletti and capello rejected the offers coz they don't feel like leaving their current jobs
from Moratti: "I am looking for a coach of Inter, who doesn't pretend to change team a lot. I think of a one year contract with an option on the second."

Moratti wants a transitional coach to keep the team afloat until I guess Guardiola (unfortunately) or even AVB (perhaps why Gasperini has been offered a 2 year contract) becomes available.
... what's interesting is that Moratti wanted Mijha while Branca and heir apparent Angelomario Moratti wanted Gasperini :CONFUSE:

i wonder how much money spalletti is getting in russia though... coz he really seems to be loving his time in russia).
and now i'm hearing criscito is on his way to Zenit Petersburg, WTF! Russia is like the black hole, nothing good comes out of playing in Russia. Such a waste.

By the way, is no else surprised by the lack of investors coming into serie a to purchase teams? Even PSG get investors and truck loads of money :CONFUSE: I'm pretty sure Lolito, Dalla Valle even Zampirini would gladly sell. What's up?

i see there's not much love for gasperini in here..... wich makes me believe u guys haven't watched much of genoa in the last few years.
i think in his first season at Inter, Mou said that Gasperini was the difference between Serie A and the rest of europe. Also after a 0-0 draw two seasons ago: “Gasperini is the coach that makes it the most difficult for me... Every time I changed tactics, he adapted. That was one of the most spectacular 0-0 draws for anybody who loves football.”

Gasperini plays some good football but as you said, he's too bold. Remember that gasperini had one of the worst defensive stats in serie a 2 seasons ago, 60+ goals conceded or something silly like that. And then that game where we gave them a good lashing (5-0)

i'm very curious about this appointment. this could be a great chance for inter to build the foundations of a new squad.... a chance to completely change inter's football.
that's what worries me, hard pressing all over the pitch just isn't our style. what's more we have bad memories of 3-4-3s (remember Zaccheroni). we would need to start from scratch and i'm not sure Moratti is up for that... Not that Gasperini is constrained to 3-4-3 but he is partial too high tempo, high risk football, something that we're just not able to do, sadly.

pozzo is just playing his role in this dance. pozzo is a sly fox and always drives a hard bargain. sanchez is certainly not leaving for 50 millions and pozzo is well aware of that... he's just trying to make the most out of this sale. also zamparini is "officially" asking 50 millions for pastore.... but obviously the real pricetag will eventually be smaller than that

yeah i think if they get 40 m its enought

_____

my team Lecce is having bad time :/

now they are without president and they are without president

also without trainer de canio who has gonne

Rosati (GK) its going to Napoi , Munari back to Palermo Mesbah propably its going to Parma , Chevanton & Di Micele are old we are really having problems

I hope for better days coz in this way we are going to serie b next season :S

Yeah Lecce could well go back to Serie B if they don't improve things.

In other news, Santana has left Fiorentina on a free-transfer for Napoli who want to add extra depth to squad for CL and rumours say, Donadel who is also gonna be out of contract will follow him there.

They've made a bid for Dzemaili and offered Blasi in exchange which kind of surprises me as even though I'm not a fan of Blasi, he's useful to have in squad still.

And Adrian Mutu has joined Cesena.

Fiorentina also let D'Agostino go by only offering 50000 in the co-ownership deal. Apparently, he wanted to stay. They need to do some signings now. At least Jovetic will be back.

Napoli are attracting some very good players on nice deals. Taking advantage of the whole CL situation nicely. They might lose Hamsik though. :D

I think money's dry in Florence.

I heard Donadel and Dzemaili were done deals, and Yebda soon too. They need some strength in defence to back the squad up.

How the hell did this happen? Didn't Bologna revise the documents considering they were offering a lot of money for their standards for the player or was the director just stupid to realize the error?! I don't get it.

Inter have a very important player on their ranks now, especially when you think Roma wanted him but now they have Curci.

Back
Top Bottom