Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

Just sold Santon for 6ml to Newcastle, whoopty fucking do

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828_crop_340x234-150x150.jpg

I dont get this really , hes such a good player and young , when i saw the guy i thought he'll be one of best left defender in serie a but dont know what happen ..... anyway will be better if they just loan it tho , not sell for 6 mil !!!

good buy newcastle

Man how promising are Lecce's signings this year? Pasquato, Giandonato, Strasser, Muriel, Carozzieri, Oddo, Bertolacci, Obodo, Julio Sergio. They already have Giacomazzi, Esposito, Grossmuller and Mesbah!

Ben, could you give me an impression what the first eleven of USC Palermo might be the upcoming season (i know "a first eleven" barely exists nowadays, but still there is always a team that a fan sees as the ideal team made from the current crop of players).

Ps: hope to participate more since finally i can see Italian football this season (have payed for a digital football channel...).

Man how promising are Lecce's signings this year? Pasquato, Giandonato, Strasser, Muriel, Carozzieri, Oddo, Bertolacci, Obodo, Julio Sergio. They already have Giacomazzi, Esposito, Grossmuller and Mesbah!

well i think this year will be hard , i have fear we are going to serie b :/

Pasquato & Giandonato young player we take from Juve , promising player special Pasquato but very very young no experiense so cant say much about them , and like always they are on loan

Muriel had amazing wold cup under 21 for Colombia , look very strong and im really looking forward for see him , we need guys in atack so he can be good one , even if its very young !

Carozzieri ??? did hes first match for Lecce for TIM CUP vs Crotone and he get injured after 10 min of match the guy need cocaine ;)

Oddo we need defenders as Carozzieri and Ferrario injured in 1st match , tomovic will move in center so Oddo can be good for right have experiense so i think he'll be good for Lecce

Bertolacci its amazing player im happy we get him from Roma hes very very promising player and i think he'll have great season !

Obodo - I saw him playing on match for cup and he did bad performance , he have to organise match from midlefield but he fail , i dont saw him making a pass , really im not hoping much on him , hope he prove me im wrong ....

Julio Sergio - hmmm good keeper but not like Rosati , cant replace Rosati , he was god for fans of Lecce

Mesbah i think will go away from Lecce son , hes really good player and many teams want him so maybe in summer he'll move away .

edit: Straser also very young , not so good in hes debut for Lecce , not as i wait to be , however i wait him to play this season and save us with this other young players

Lecce is great team to promote young players !

Last edited:

I really can't say what i think of the mercato as i just haven't seen enough of the players we bought to form an opinion. Vidal, Pazienza, Lichtsteiner, Ziegler, Elia, Giaccherini, Estigarribia are all unknown quantities for me. Though i do appreciate the fact that most of them come with international experience and pedigree. I'm just gonna wait to see a few games before i say anything.

Really happy with Vucinic. Ale and Vucinic all the way for me.

What was really pleasing for me from the outside looking in over the summer, is that Marotta and Conte seem to be on the same page. For example: Marotta seemed to have Bastos in the bag yet Conte felt he didn't have the characteristics he was looking for for the left side, and the transfer never happened. It just seemed from reading the stories (Tuttosport mainly) that Marotta was buying the players Conte was looking for, rather than buying players and then asking the manager to make the best of it.

Conte's fussiness is pleasing too. He seems to have very specific ideas about what he wants.

No-one wants to hear talk of a three year plan but i reckon Conte is here for a while and third spot might be unrealistic, considering all the changes and how young some of the players are, and the competition from Roma and Napoli. I'd be happy with clearly visible progress made on the field, i.e: a good style of passing football and organisation. I'm already looking forward to next summers market where hopefully it will be a case of just adding one or two world class players to an already solid, well established team. Hopefully though our strikers will fire us into the top 3 as that's the part of the team where we have the most quality.

If that is the Estigarribia from Newell's Old Boys, he' s a very good buy. Could become a class player.

It's the Paraguayan one. He's a good player. Nothing special but good skills and works very hard!

I didn't know Juve got Giaccherini! I like all the players they bought apart from Pazienza who's mediocre. Rest are good players.

They sold Ziegler to Fenerbahce though. Didn't impress Conte. Anyway, Juve have a good squad now. Pirlo is going to take them to the level they missed last season imo. He will be their most important signing. All depends on the coach. Hard part is that people are going to expect them to click quickly while in preseason the coach was still trying different players in different positions.

edit: Straser also very young , not so good in hes debut for Lecce , not as i wait to be , however i wait him to play this season and save us with this other young players

Hmm well you can't expect a lot from him. He was loaned as a cover. I watched a couple of his games for Milan and he hit me as freakishly slow and unagile. Reminded me of old Emerson. Might be a wrong impression.

Last edited:

I guess Juve were impressed by that miss Giaccherini made against them last season...

Ben, could you give me an impression what the first eleven of USC Palermo might be the upcoming season (i know "a first eleven" barely exists nowadays, but still there is always a team that a fan sees as the ideal team made from the current crop of players).
i have absolutely no idea Gerd. i don't even know how i would line up this team, never mind the coach. there's a new coach (with no previous professional experiences whatsoever), half the starting formation is gone and we also sold several "utility players", like liverani carrozzieri, guana, munari and kasami... they weren't good enough to be starters, but they could have given us some depth.
now there are some positions where we have just too many options (and none of em is particularly good) and some other positions where we have no backups at all.

anyway, to be honest, i don't even care anymore. i think i won't be watching many palermo matches this season. for the first time ever since i moved back to italy, i won't be a seasonal ticket holder. only football on tv this season for me. and since i won't have to be at the stadium every sunday, i will actually have a chance to have some fun on sunday (me having a clear schedule on sundays is my girl's dream come true). i'll just record on the hdd of my decoder the matches that seem most interesting, and watch them on weekday evenings... and i really don't think palermo is gonna be on top of my "matches to record" list. infact, since u have access to serie a right now, i believe there's a serious chance u'll be watching more palermo games than me this season. :P
does that make me a bad fan? yeah, probably..... and i'm absolutely proud of it!
Gerd said:
Ps: hope to participate more since finally i can see Italian football this season (have payed for a digital football channel...)
then wellcome on board mate. it's gonna be great to see you more often in here..... :BEER:
... although, i have to say, your timing isn't really excellent, as i'm afraid this is gonna be the worst serie a season of the last decade..... at least concerning the quality of the football played on the pitch.:(

Come on Ben, Palermo isn't that bad to consider Serie A disappointing this year :D You signed some great defenders in Silvestre and Cetto. You also signed Zahavi and Adam Simon, two highly rated attacking players. You lack a little in midfield, but I think Ilicic will have a strong season.

Who will you be backing in terms of the 'big'? Milan, I hope :D Or maybe Napoli to make it more interesting.

I will be definitely backing Napoli for the scudetto...
I'm looking forward to the new season: i want to see how Palermo does and i'm glad my other favourite Italian team are also back: Atalanta. (But did they not start with points deducted...they will face a tough season too). If i should share Ben's pessimism it could well be that both Palermo and Atalanta might be relegated...i certainly hope not.

Come on Ben, Palermo isn't that bad to consider Serie A disappointing this year :D
of course, but u see, it's not just about palermo. i mean, what's been the main feature (probably also the only feature) of serie a over the last decade? the quality of the football played on the pitch.
we don't have more stars than the other leagues.
our top teams haven't been on par with their foreign counterparts. sure milan now is coming back, but over the last decade the only real top italian team has been inter, whereas epl and la liga had more to offer on this department.
the atmosphere also isn't as exciting as it is some other leagues. when it comes to games' atmosphere bundesliga and epl are much better, especially when u follow football on tv (from the stadia serie a can still offer some great folklore).
and what about competitiveness? well we haven't shown much more competitiveness than la liga and epl..... and bundi is so much ahead of us on this department.

so what are we left with? the football. the overall quality of the football played by all the teams in serie a has been absolutely amazing from 2000 to 2009. no league has offered as much quality and variety as serie a, when it comes to football.
in no other league u can witness such quality football displayed by poor teams as in serie a. think of the football cagliari, empoli, parma, cesena, bari, catania have displayed in the last decade. and the same goes for midclass clubs. palermo, udinese, fiorentina, genoa, lazio, samp..... their football has been so much better than their english, spanish, german counterparts' football. mind u, i'm not saying italian midclass teams and poor teams are "better" or "stronger" than their foreing counterparts. i'm just saying they've been playing better football (wich is a different thing).

in the other leagues, every season there are a few midclass and poor teams wich display some great football..... but in serie a each and every midlcass team and poor team has displayed some great football.
and (even more important) no other league has offered the variety serie a did. the great thing about serie a was that every team (wheter it was a midclass team battling with the top teams, or a poor club, fighting to avoid relagation) used to play its very own football. each team used to play a different football, and that's something we can't say about epl, bundi or la liga.

but now this doesn't seem to be the case anymore. last season was already quite disappointing, in terms of football. sure udinese was a joy to watch and palermo has been amazing for the first half of the season. but what about the other clubs?
napoli has assembled a great team, and they deserve all the praises for what they achieved, but we can't really say their football was particularly nice to watch. and the same goes for lazio. sampdoria has been absolutely awful, genoa, parma, catania and fiorentina have played quite an anonymous football (the same kind of football u would expect from an english or a spanish or a german midclass club) and the poor teams (except cesena) have played the same ugly and boring football english, german and spanish "bottom of the table" clubs usually play. i think we have lost our trademark.

and i'm afraid this season is going to be even more anonimous than the last one. some teams have lost some key players (like udinese), some others have been completely dismantled (palermo)..... fiorentina and genoa don't seem to be improving their football at all. sampdoria isn't even here anymore. roma and inter seem to be a huge mess.... juventus have completely reshaped their starting 11 once again and the teams wich got promoted from serie b don't seem to be very exciting to watch.

the great thing about serie a was that u could watch any team in the league playing and have some fun. think of the other top leagues..... almost nobody watches bottom table or midclass teams unless they're fans or unless those teams are playing against a top team. few people would watch a birmingham-stoke match or a saragoza-malaga match, because, let's be honest, their football is quite dull..... in serie a instead u could watch an empoli-cagliari game or a cesena-parma game or a sampdoria-genoa game or a palermo-catania game and witness some absolutely fantastic football. amaizingly the quality displayed by those small teams was often superior than the quality displayed by the likes of inter or milan or juve.
but now i'm not sure this is the case anymore. that's why i believe this is gonna be a pretty disappointing season, speaking of football quality.
of course i hope i'll be proven wrong though. :P
milanista said:
Who will you be backing in terms of the 'big'? Milan, I hope Or maybe Napoli to make it more interesting.
i'm usually neutral when it comes to the scudetto race. i guess i'll root for the team wich shows the best football (wich will probably be milan). concerning napoli, they certainly improved their squad (a lot) but i believe they will struggle this season. having to focus on 2 competitions (serie a and CL) can litterally destroy your season.... especially if u're not used to it (wich is napoli's case)... i'm inclined to believe they will disappoint in champions league and won't even be able to repeat themselves in serie a.
..... but, once again, i'd love to be proven wrong. :D

Last edited:

In terms of the new teams, I'm willing to bet that Novara will be last year's Cesena. Last year Novara was scoring goals from all angles and was focusing on attack. They have the likes of Morimoto, Meggiorini and Jeda in attack.

Sadly, I think Napoli will disappoint, but I think Lazio might do well instead. I still have faith in Roma and think their last minute signings will really add to the quality of their passing. This Totti thing is just silly.

I think right now we have many 'good' managers in Italy, but not enough 'phenomenal' managers. 4 years ago we had Prandelli, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Spalletti, Guidolin, Ballardini, Rossi and Mazzarri working their magic. Now, I honestly don't feel we have strong enough managers that can lead a team mentally and tactically.

Last edited:

yep, that's a very good point indeed.

btw have u heard of the forlan-CL episode? LOL! that's gotta be the biggest fuck-up in recent football history :LOL:seriously how could they not know forlan had already played in CL with atletico!! i'd love to hear how branca justified himself to moratti "oh man, i guess i was too busy working on my tan to notice forlan was cup-tied".... besides how can a team director take his holydays in august is just beyond me. august for a football team director is like tax season for an accountant..... why moratti even allowed branca to be missing during the most important period in a director's season? that's just crazy.

Last edited:

Yes the Forlan was a major fuck-up by Inter...
Well, am i then the only one excited by the prospect of Serie A kicking off?

That was some ceremony. Didn't think I'd go through the whole thing but then then all the legends started coming. Basically all of them where there except Trap and Tardelli. Stadium looks awesome. Congrats to Juve in this huge step forward. A usual boring draw game though. :LOL:

And Milan-Lazio tonight. What a game to open the season. Lazio with new players are very exciting, especially Klose. Aquilani set to start. There are reports that Allegri is not impressed by Taiwo yet so don't get your hopes up about the LB position.

What i liked about Juve (i'm not a big fan of them, and that is putting it mildly) is the fact that they played Notts County (the team that inspired them for their kits, the Juve ones are always very stylish).

I will also watch Milan-lazio...first my favourite Belgian team Genk and then that match...first even Serie A match i can watch (i feel like a 12 year old who might receive his first shy kiss...).

Nesta not having the best 1st half!

What a way to kick off the season though!!

4 goals in 1st half and a great 45 minutes!

Cassano header was awesome!! :SHOCK:

Nocerino and Aquilani will make the first team in no time, especially Nocerino. He has Gattuso energy and mentality plus he can pass the ball. No better beard to take Rino's place. :P

And Cassano is great but he can be soo annoying at times. Like the way he only passes to Ibrahimovic. I noticed it a lot last season and again yesterday.

Hope you enjoyed the game gerd. Very good first half but then fitness kicked in. Lazio look like a great team and now have a big aeriel threat with Klose and Cisse.

I don't watch lots of Serie A, but after playing the PES 2012 demo, I just really expect more from Lavezzi and Cavani. I mean, where are the unstoppable 3 goals per match

;)

What a Cesena for this first half. They managed to get a record number of season tickets sold and are playing with so much motivation.

Back
Top Bottom