Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

I dont know, but I reckon it will be:
storari
sorenson barzagli bonucci de ceglie
krasic marrone pazienza giaccherini
quagliarella del piero

I predict a 2-1 victory in extra time!

as for palermo, i don't know alexis... i don't really think they're underachieving... infact i actually believe they're overachieving so far. this team is just not as good as it was in the past 5 years and our current 5th place in the table seems very "flattering" to me.
and, about our current position in the table, palermo's results are confirming my worries...serie a is poorer than it was till last season. i'm not gonna call it a decline of course, because theese situations can be correctly evaluated only after 5,6 years.... but i feel this is the weakest serie a in the last 10 years.
mind u, that's just a feeling, and probably not even a reliable one, as i hardly have time to follow serie a theese days.

I probably chose the bad words. I meant that Palermo isn't as attractive to watch as last season, and it's obviously related to the summer movements and the lack of finantial power. It's also down to me being keen on the club, then being picky with it and not very realistic. It's obviously a fantastic situation in the league right now, but I fear the team will end up a lot lower at the end of the season. Or maybe is just that the 3 matches I have watched of Palermo this season have been terrible and didn't show the reality of the team.

That's why it's so nice to have all of you writing in this thread, I can know for sure if the very small portion of the league I'm seeing is representative enough. I see it isn't...

If I had to put the teams I've watched in a ladder, I would put:
1- Udinese
2- Juventus
3- Napoli
4- Milan
5- Roma
6- Atalanta

That's based on the aprox 12 matches I've watched. I guess I should pick better what I watch but stellite TV chooses for me!

Udinese Napoli Atalanta: i would give money to see matches from those clubs regularly and of course also Palermo...that list is not that bad Alex...

I probably chose the bad words. I meant that Palermo isn't as attractive to watch as last season, and it's obviously related to the summer movements and the lack of finantial power. It's also down to me being keen on the club, then being picky with it and not very realistic. It's obviously a fantastic situation in the league right now, but I fear the team will end up a lot lower at the end of the season. Or maybe is just that the 3 matches I have watched of Palermo this season have been terrible and didn't show the reality of the team.

oh no mate, i perfectly understood what u meant;) u see those 3 palermo matches u've watched were not a coincidence. we are indeed playing some very uninspired, dull and predictable football. therefore my point was: "since we're playing such bad football this season (especially if u compare it to the football we've been playing in the past few years), our current 5th place in the table is something we should wellcome as a nice surprise... an overachievement.... because truth to be told, this palermo team is not worthy of a 5th place in serie a"... and as u correctly remarked, chances are we're gonna finish the season in the 2nd half of the table (wich is where we truly belong).
anyway i gotta say no one in palermo is jubilant about palermo's current position in the table. the sorrow about the end of "delio rossi's team" is still too intense for us to move on and get over it.

as for that list, that is indeed a very good one. u might wanna also give a closer look to cesena (if your spanish broadcaster will give u the chance to do so, of course)... they're not a very strong team and they're not really getting some good results.... but they usually play some pretty nice football (speaking of quality). :))
Gerd said:
Udinese Napoli Atalanta: i would give money to see matches from those clubs regularly and of course also Palermo...that list is not that bad Alex...
i thought u had serie a coverage this season Gerd. anyway, udinese, napoli and atalanta are definitely good picks, but don't bother about palermo... we're really not worth the trouble this season..... :(
I do think development is the problem, maybe lack of consistency is the cause of it. But I think Aquilani has not developed at all since his Roma days, I'd even argue he's regressed. He's not near the player most of us expected him to become anyway and he's been unable to become a vital player for any of his teams. He's been decent this season, but rather underwhelming. Although he's been playing in his own role now.
good point Dom. afterall, i guess we could also say that "consistancy" is a step in the development process of a player. so yeah, point taken :))
actually i wanted to ask you about aquilani's time in torino some time ago..... but i guess this post of yours kinda answers that question.

i also certainly agree with u that alberto never managed to become "indispensable" for any of his teams... but then again we also gotta say that, given his role, that would be a huge feat. the mezz'ali (especially "technical mezz'ali" like him) are the epitome of the "luxury players"..... those players who are by definition "not strictly necessary" to any tactical setup and who are there only to provide an occasional sparkle.
infact the mezz'ala is the only role wich is even less "necessary" than the trequartista. so it's extremely hard for a mezz'ala to become a cornerstone of the team.... no matter how good they are. i mean think of the absolute top performers in this role.... say iniesta... he's one of the best mezz'ali out there (if not THE best).... a true world class player who delivers top class performances on a pretty consistant basis..... yet, as amazing as andres is, u just can't picture him as the cornerstone, the architrave of barçelona's team.

mind u though, this isn't true for ALL the types of mezz'ali. there are 2 different species of mezz'ali. 2 completely different kinds of players, which, for some reason, fall under the same role\category.
technical mezz'ali, like aquilani, iniesta, ilicic, arteta, hamsik. their main assets are vision, passing game, shooting, dribbling..... technical skills.
and then there are some tactical mezz'ali. nocerino, marchisio, kallstrom, yaya tourè. their main assets are timing, positioning, vision, tactical awareness. they give a very different interpretation to the mezz'ala role.... and, unlike the "technical mezz'ali", they are never "luxury players" and they CAN become a vital asset to their teams.

btw, "technical mezz'ali" and "tactical mezz'ali" are not real definitions (the world only aknowledge the mezz'ala role) i just made them up to explain my point.... although i really believe it's about time we create 2 different terms to label theese kinds of players, as they're very different from each other and the term "mezz'ala" just can't suit them both anymore.

Last edited:

Every week we can see one or two matches, usually the big clubs: Milan, Inter, Juventus, Roma...

Lecce played well today I really like how they play shame we dont get at the last 1 point

but again our defence was shit many wrongs and we lose many balls near our area , goals com from those wrongs tho

I think when we got Penalty goalkeeper of Lazio should get send off ! whatever im not blaming on refere for that

Serse Cosmi seems to have good strategy for us and maybe can save from going down to serie b all thought I really enjoy this match and i saw FOOTBALL so hope we continua to play this good game

Lorik Cana score for Lazio strange but i cant hide that I was happy for that :TWIST:

I watched Lecce- Lazio today, and it was an unfair result. I liked Lecce and Lazio were lucky to win this. I also think the goalkeeper should have been sent off.

It was the first time I watched any of these teams this season, and I was a bit disappointed with Lazio and positively surprised with Lecce.

Serse Cosmi is a strange guy though! I've always thought that and I'm not just saying it because of the beard. :P He just seems a little TOO intense! lol

yeah he really looks (and sounds) intense... but actually when u get to know him, he's quite an easy going and laid back guy.... no wait, that is a bit of a stretch :P... let's just say he's nicer than he looks... i love it when he gets angry and opens his eyes wide shut.... looks like a psycho!
years ago there was an italian comedian (maurizio crozza) who used to make an amazing impression of cosmi (there are lots of his videos on youtube).... shame u guys can't speak italian, because it was soo hilarious!!! :LOL:
Drekkard said:
I watched Lecce- Lazio today, and it was an unfair result. I liked Lecce and Lazio were lucky to win this. I also think the goalkeeper should have been sent off.

It was the first time I watched any of these teams this season, and I was a bit disappointed with Lazio and positively surprised with Lecce.
yeah lecce is another of those serie a poor teams who actually play a much better football than their table position might suggest. pretty much like cesena (the team i mentioned a few days ago).
it's always been like this in serie a for the last 8/10 years. the poorest teams (those which fight to avoid relegation) often don't get good result because they're not strong enough, or because they have no backups at all, or because their strikers aren't prolific enough to convert their scoring chances into 3 points... but in terms of football quality, they often play some very nice, entertaining and smooth football. i still remember ranieri's parma or cagni's empoli... they got relegated even though they used to play some absolutely amazing football, a much better football than the one played by some top teams (quality-wise, i mean).
anyway it's gonna be a tragedy for lazio to cope with marchetti's injury... i can't believe how good he's become.

btw what happened during the bologna-milan game? i heard the ref apologised..... apologised for what? and to whom? anyone knows what happened?

Last edited:

I think he gave a questionable penalty to Milan for a soft foul - I assume it's that incident he's talking about. It was very soft, Ibrahimovic scored it, to make it 2-1 but it seemed to spur Bologna into life and Diamanti scored almost right away to make it 2-2, and it ended as that score.

I saw the Lazio - Lecce game, it was pretty even in my opinion. Lecce played some nice short passing, but were not very good in terms of shooting. They had a lot of shots that didn't really test Marchetti that much. Whereas Lazio only had 3-4 shots and seemed to score with all of them. I think in Klose Lazio have one of the best strikers in Serie A in terms of current form, he just seems to need 1 or 2 chances and he's bound to score, Lecce didn't have a player of that class and it cost them. Muriel, the Colombian striker for Lecce was quick and full of energy, but his end product wasn't as clinical as it should have been. Reja used his subs very well, he brought on Cana for Biava to open up the game a bit more, but the key one was bringing on Cissé for Rocchi at half time. Cissé was able to run at tired players and his pace set up the last goal for Klose. Cissé hasnt looked that great at Lazio so far, but his pace really can be a telling factor at the end of games, especially away from home when Lazio are playing on the counter attack.

Novara drew with Napoli last night, which wasn't a good result for Napoli - they really need to be winning games like this to be in contention for a CL place next year. They played fairly well but Cavani looked too tired and the whole team looked a bit jaded after the trip to Spain, their wall for the Novara goal (from a free kick) was very poor, it just split open.

You think the quality of Serie A's declined slightly this year, Ben?

The openness of the league this season, without a real standout team, makes it very interesting for the netural.

amazing match tonight really shame one of them dont won for me both merit it i wish I can give 3 points to both :P

whatever i like how Roma and Juve play credits also to refere for dont stop match for "everything" this did match even more interesting

I was for juve tonight and I dont really understand why isnt del piero there its injured or anything ?

many wrongs by 2 teams they really feel presion of the big match

I dont like Pirlo performance tonight big "filosofy" from him and lose many balls

WHAT A F'n Match tonight!! Serie A at its best!

I watched the first half of Man City vs. Chelsea but then upon changing channel and realizing Juve vs. Roma is on and watching that, I was hooked!

Passionate! LOUD crowd! Fast-paced and End-to-end! High quality players all giving it a 110% as if this is a Cup Final and both want to WIN! Brilliant stuff! Great entertainment. Let's just say I didn't turn back for 2nd half of City vs. Chelsea.

Totti missed that penalty which Buffon brilliantly saved! The guy just looks menacing. Even a penalty against him isn't easy and he just looks so confident that it can be intimidating. Right before Totti takes it, I was thinking, man he's gonna miss... Buffon looks the opposite of 'scared' lol. He looks like he's thinking : "I'm gonna save this penalty" and boom he did just that! Otherwise Roma should've won this of course Quagliarella then also had a brilliant chance in 88th minute to win it for Juve after Elia brilliantly put him through in a 1-on-1 only minutes after coming on but a great save from Stekelburg who rushed towards Fabio, covered angle well and made himself big. Great goalkeeping by both sides then.

Taddei had a very good performance! This guy's still got it!

Chielini is SUCH A BEAST! He's Juve's best player and just a MONSTER of a player! He could play in any team in the world!

Why the hell was De Rossi playing as CB? Kjaer, Juan and Burdisso all injured? That looked strange and at times he struggled which is understandable.

Finally why wasn't Vucinic playing against his old team in Olimpico, I think he could've made the difference and really make Roma regret selling him to Juve!

INCREDIBLE match! Actually, I'm only talking about 2nd half. I don't know how the first was. But anyone who hasn't watched it, go and watch 2nd half at least! Serie A at its best and I also have to give massive praise to the referee as well. Not too familiar with this ref actually but he was great! He wasn't falling for any of the players from both sides dives and was strong and letting play get on and giving advantages (yet booking later if merited like Bonnuci's foul on Osvaldo) and he really let the game flow and contributed. I'm impressed by this ref! He was very spot on!

p.s. Osvaldo went straight to dressing room after being subbed by Luis Enrique. He was doing pretty well and looked dangerous. More so than the old tired Totti who had just missed a penalty as well. Borriello came on and had very little time and didn't do anything but I would've brought him in for Totti or maybe Greco and push Perrotta back where Greco was playing, put Totti in the whole and allow Marco and Osvaldo be the strikers.

Totally agree with PLF. Shame we didn't get the 3 points, Quagliarella had a HUGE chance to make it 1-2.

Hm, one of the poorer juve performances this season.

Oh and PLF, yes De Rossi played in defence because the Roma squad is decimated. Many injuries, plus three red cards in their previous fixture.

As for Vucinic, he is also injured. Otherwise he would've started for sure.

And the first half was better than the second half ;).

Last edited:

I agree, it was a fantastic match. I think Luis Enrique kept Totti in the pitch because he still can have that moment of magic in the last 30 meters, while, Osvaldo seems a bit limited in range in my oppinion. Lamela was great as well as Taddei, but roma is still lacking quality in midfield. That's why Totti ended the meatch instead of Osvaldo, I guess.

Anyway, Osvaldo shows very poor attitude by behaving like this. I've never liked him very much, he thinks of himself as a world-class star and the way I see it, he still has lots to prove.

Juve was good in the 1st half, and Buffon was inmense as in his prime. But the performance in the 2nd half was poor. One of the worst I've seen from them this season. I agree Chiellini looks beasty. Though Juve didn't have control of the match at all in the second half, they were very dangerous on the counter, maybe because of Roma terrible defending at times. That last chance would have been too cruel for Roma, I think a draw is fair.

I'm getting hooked to Serie A matches, they're almost as exciting to watch as the Premier league matches, and it's great to see how almost all of the teams, and specially most of the smaller ones as Ben said, like to play open and attacking. It's so different to the old Serie A of the 90s!

All I can say is that as an spectator, I'm watching more and more Serie A matches and I'm enjoying them a lot.

Osvaldo DOES have a LOT to prove. Definitely true and yeah his attitude has always been quite poor.

He was actually doing alright though and I don't know about limited. I'd say he's pretty well rounded. He has enough pace without being really fast, enough height without being the tallest, good strength without being the strongest and good skill/dribbling without being Messi lol.

So in that sense, he's actually pretty impressive as he's a very well rounded forward who's got everything in his arsenal and can hurt you in many 'different' ways. I also think his fitness level and stamina/energy is higher than someone like Totti at that age.

Lamela was good but you can see he's still very young and selfish at times (opposite of Taddei who is wise, experienced and a true team player) and how many fouls did Lamela commit anyway? lol, he was hacking down Juve players since he doesn't know how to tackle one by one! I counted 4 fouls in 2nd half from him alone!

And the first half was better than the second half ;).

You're KIDDING me!?! :CONFUSE: :P

Damn! lol :BOP:

He was actually doing alright though and I don't know about limited. I'd say he's pretty well rounded. He has enough pace without being really fast, enough height without being the tallest, good strength without being the strongest and good skill/dribbling without being Messi lol.

I think he's limited in the sense that he's only good in the last 20 meters. I mean, he's a good forward, but nothing else. He doesn't participate with the rest o fthe team and for a lots of times he doesn't even fall back to touch the ball. That could be also because Roma lacks that fantasista in the last third who could put him good balls. But, in the matches I've watched, he's quite static. Bojan, who happens to be a disaster in a lot of aspects, moves a lot better off the ball and creates alot of spaces and plays. The problem is that he doesn't know how to finish them properly.

That's what I tried to say by limited. He's a good player when he has the ball in a dangerous position. But nothing else. In modern football, and in a team like Roma that wants to have possession, you need to add a bit more to the team. Just as you say, Taddei does that. Lamela is a bit selfish, but he's everywhere and at least tries to do things. I don't see Osvaldo with the will to take any responsability.

Nice game yesterday, got me hooked unexpectedly and I could't stop watching it.
Impressed by Chiellini, that guy is really a beast and looks back to 2008/2009 standards, where he was world class and could stop Spain alone. His physical supremacy was unbelievable.

Also impressed by Heinze (good game!)and Barzagli, he's barely world class imho and deserves to play in Italian NT. Vidal and Marchisio let me a bit down, but a bad game can happen sometimes. Osvaldo was having a good game but then he just went mad as hell to Luis Enrique and lost some points.

About Serie A declining, meh, I can't see this decline. When teams like Lazio used to play with Makinwa and now play with Klose, decline isn't exatly the first word that comes in my mind.

oh miss today match didnt know Inter play

I just saw it from 83'min really good match open one with chances for both in this min , I like how Forlan played also Nagatomo did well , how was Forlan in general , i like the guy and I think he should play more for Inter ....

Forlan only entered in the 80th minute, so you've seen most of what he did :P

Ranieri seems to have strong faith in Faraoni, starter in 4 matches in a row now.

oh so i saw almost all hahaha

also i notice YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE on tribune of Genoa really big banner i also saw it vs Milan anyone know "history" of this ?

when i saw vs Milan I thought can be one YNWA for remember them Istanbull but seems not :P

I'd like to see Chiellini in the center for once, played left back most matches.

That's because Juve's LB area is a weak one.

De Ceglie is promising but not ready to win title yet with. Not a lot of depth there either.

So even though Chielini is both Juve's best CB and LB and probably best player period these days, fact is, at least in center of defense, you have two other very good CB's in Barzagli and Bonucci but at LB, you have De Ceglie.

So I think it makes sense that he plays a lot as a LB and honestly, he's great at it anyway and has a tendency to use all that pace and energy and work-rate to both defend AND get forward, so I think in a way playing as LB does get the best out of him and I personally have no problem with him playing there. I think it may even be his best position because while he's good at reading the game and anticipationg and positioning as well, I'd say he's an even better PHYsICAL monster in sense that he's super athletic! And I'd prefer seeing a guy like him at LB and a more 'tactical' CB like Barzagli in middle than Chiellini being in center and De Ceglie (who can improve a lot and might well have a great future) as LB.

Chiellini's season has been hot and cold though. Mostly cold at the start of the season, as cb. Barzagli has been the perfect defender.

I agree, but against weaker sides I'd like to see De Ceglie as left back. But no complains, the back four have been brilliant this season. :)

Thought i'd let you all know I'm going to Udine on Wednesday to watch Udinese v Juve at the stadium!! My friend's father got me free tickets in the tribuna (neutral zone). Will report back with photos and experience!

Forza Juve!

Enjoy mate! Even though Friuli is an awfull stadium...

Back
Top Bottom