Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread

me 4 months ago said:
......and finally mr. Zamparini.... one of the most clever business men in italy..... but also one of the most clueless football club presindents....
he wasn't patient enough to give colantuono the time he needed to express his football in palermo... and got back to guidolin....
but what should guidolin do now???? his football is totally different from colantuono's one. should our players restart everything from the beginning??? learning new schemes? experimenting new formations? in the middle of the season????
and how is guidolin supposed to play his football without a playmaker????' this summer we got rid of corini coz he wasn't "useful" for colantuono's football..... but he was a key player in guidolin's palermo!!!! who will be our new playmaker now? simplicio? .... guana?..... maybe migliaccio??
this is so frustrating

the inevitable consequence of a wrong decision....
http://www.ilpalermocalcio.it/en/0708/news_scheda.jsp?id=8700

:((

----------------------------------------------------------
congrats to all my juventini friends here.... i was sure juve would have won..... infact i bet on it :COOL: ... and won :DD

Amauri was great though, so not everything is bad!

stef, we're playing the worst football in serie a.... and it's going like this since the very beginning of the season....

amauri and fontana are the only ones who are still playing on their usual standards... the rest of the team is doing really bad....
and actually amauri's performance's too were effected by our horrible approach to the games and by the horrible individual performances of the rest of the team.... he never gets the ball... he has to move backwards till the midfield line to get the ball, and once he got it, nobody helps him, moving the "possession line" toward the opponent midfield..... that's why he didn't score a single goal in the last 7 matches....

it's a total collapse, wich involves everybody.
the president, whose stupid comments do everything but helping the coach.

the team director, who took many wrong decisions during the season.... just to remark some of them...
- he let bovo and dellafiore moving to torino.
- he didn't provide side players to colantuono at the beginning of the season.
- he let corini leaving the club FOR FREE!!!
- and now he let brienza go to reggina..... he was a miccoli's backup here in palermo.... but since he left, he scored 5 goals (in 1 month)...

the coaches, both of them, colantuono and guidolin..... i won't remark the mistakes they did, because honestly it would take hours to write about all their wrong decisions.....
but i'll just say one thing. palermo is now playing that shameful defensive football, the italian little clubs used to play till 4\5 years ago. and we don't even defend properly.

we were the ones who lead the "italian revolution" 4 years ago, with our fantastic football... today every team in italy always plays to win. even the poorest team's coaches (siena, reggina, cagliari) are allowed (by their presidents) to express themselves creatively, to "produce" their own football... no president in italy force anymore his coach to bound his creativity, with directives like "i don't care about your tactical ideas, just don't let the opponent score and go for an easy 0 - 0".

zamparini and guidolin were the first ones in italy to show that u can play an offensive football against top teams and beat them.
the comparison between this palermo and the palermo that we admired in the past 4 years is just embarassing.

and finally the players (almost all of them) whose individual performances were crap since the beginning of the season.... simplicio had just 2 or 3 good game; barzagli had a very good start, but since the juve match, he didn't play on his standards anymore; Bresciano is having his worst season ever; zaccardo too didn't play good (but i can't really blame him, coz guidolin lined him up everywhere but in his proper role); guana, miccoli and migliaccio are way under their standards. Cavani didn't play 1 single match in his proper role......
i could go on like this for hours..:((

I think the main problem is the insecurity at the club. Zamparini is an idiot, he fires then rehires coaches every month. I think the players have no trust in their coaches and have low confidence. When Palermo were in Serie B there was a lot of confidence, support and commitment with the 'project'... but it seems that it was all thrown away. Getting rid of Pisano, Diana, Bovo, Corini and Brienza in January is so stupid! Theyre all good players. Amauri will leave soon, and I'm sure Barzagli too (I hope milan:D), so Palermo will need to rebuild... maybe there is hope for the future!

I think the main problem is the insecurity at the club. Zamparini is an idiot, he fires then rehires coaches every month. I think the players have no trust in their coaches and have low confidence. When Palermo were in Serie B there was a lot of confidence, support and commitment with the 'project'... but it seems that it was all thrown away. Getting rid of Pisano, Diana, Bovo, Corini and Brienza in January is so stupid! Theyre all good players. Amauri will leave soon, and I'm sure Barzagli too (I hope milan:D), so Palermo will need to rebuild... maybe there is hope for the future!

spot on Ste. Zamparini is the man who we all have to thank for the result palermo achieved in the recent years..... but has such an non-professional attitude....
and it's not just about his tendency to change coaches as they were cloathes..... it's also about what he says (almost) every week during the interviews.... i mean, just consider what he said yesterday, about palermo going to loose in napoli... actually i pretty much agree with him.... but what the hell u're the chairman! u're supposed to boost your player's confidence!!! not to bring them down like this!

but he's not the only one to blame.... also foschi (our team director) has his responsabilities....
just yesterday, talking with some friends, i was thinking something pretty funny and grotesque, about his moves.
first he sold corini, depriving guidolin of his key player....because he wasn't useful for colantuono's football..... so we got back to guidolin without corini.

then, in jannuary, he sold diana and pisano (side players, who are most important for colantuono's football).... and, after 1 month palermo fired guidolin and hired colantuono once again....... but now how colantuono is supposed to play his football without pisano and diana???
this is ridiculous. :((

Don said:
I hope Barzagli does join Milan
definitely he's not having a good season...... but next season u will regret this statement, Dom :SMOKIN:

and anyway he's still so much better than legrottaglie.
btw, if he will keep playing like this, i hope donadoni will call dainelli or gamberini instead of him this summer. right now, both him and materazzi aren't worthy if italy's jersey.... as we saw against spain.

definitely he's not having a good season...... but next season u will regret this statement, Dom :SMOKIN:

and anyway he's still so much better than legrottaglie.

But that isn't saying much. :-pp

btw, if he will keep playing like this, i hope donadoni will call dainelli or gamberini instead of him this summer. right now, both him and materazzi aren't worthy if italy's jersey.... as we saw against spain.

I think Chiellini should be definitely in there as central back, as starter even. Cannavaro isn't the same anymore, Materazzi has been poor, Barzagli has been poor, I like Gamberini, but Chiellini is superiour, in much better form anyway and he is such a presence. Chiellini has a great temperament (though granted, takes it too far sometimes), he's a beast and a real winner, i'd say you really need guys like him in your squad at a european championship.

Last edited:

But that isn't saying much. :-pp

:LOL: fair enough
let's say he's also better than mexes then :))

I think Chiellini should be definitely in there as central back, as starter even. Cannavaro isn't the same anymore, Materazzi has been poor, Barzagli has been poor, I like Gamberini, but Chiellini is superiour, in much better form anyway and he is such a presence. Chiellini has a great temperament (though granted, takes it too far sometimes), he's a beast and a real winner, i'd say you really need guys like him in your squad at a european championship.

look Dom, Cannavaro is a "risk-taker". he's an anticipating cb, wich means that he necessarily commits much more mistakes than a standing cb..... because he takes more risks. it's mostly important for cannavaro to have a reliable standing cb behind him, to cover the holes he MUST leave to play his game. at real madrid this doesn't happen and the lack of reliability of his rolemates (pepe and metzelder) "exalts" and magnifies cannavaro's mistakes.
that's why u might think "he's not the same anymore".... but if u put him in a proper defensive line (like wednesday in the italy game... even though matrix and barzagli are far from their best form) then u can notice he's exactly the same monster we admired in juve and during the world cup ;))

talking about chiellini, i definitely would like to bring him in switzerland, but not as a cb!!!
i agree with u about chiellini's winning attitude and his huge personality, and i have a boundless respect for this player...... but he's not a cb.

rally cars and formula one cars are both fantastic top cars. they're the best vehicles u can find on the planet.... but this doesn't mean u can put a formula one on a rally track and get a good result.
the same way chiellini is a different kind of player from the likes of gamberini, dainelli, barzagli, etc... he had a different growth.
Years ago, when barzagli was learning how to coordinate his movements with his rolemate, chiellini was learning how to coordinate his movements with the side player in front of him.
when barzagli was learning how to take the right timing for a diagonal cut, chiellini was learning to take the right timing to perform a good overlap (by coordinating his moves with his rolemate on the right side).
when barzagli was learning wich is the right distance to keep from the strikers (inside and outside the box), chiellini was learning to cross and cut on the center......

i could go on like this, remarking the differences in the paths of a cb and a sideback, but i guess u already got it.
chiellini did a pretty good job, playing as a cb this season (and last seasson too), and his "gattuso-like" will and his terrific balance helped him in "hiding" his flaws as a cb.
but he just can't do what a barzagli can do (when barzagli is fit, of course). in premiership u can see quite a lot of chiellini-like cbs...... but here in italy the standards are much higher... here in italy he's just not good enough to become a cb, coz players like dainelli, gamberini and barzagli (and also canini, terlizzi, cannavaro junior, domizzi, rinaudo and natali) are just better than him.

but most important, it would be a shame to waste his fantastic talent as left back, forcing him to play as a cb. ;))

so chiellini should definitely be in italy's roster... but as a left back (grosso's backup), while dainelli and gamberini should take barzagli's and materazzi's place.

EDIT:
breaking market news; it seems that juve and palermo are very close to reach an agreement about the amauri deal.
15 million euros and 2 players to choose between giovinco, palladino, marchisio, nocerino, de ceglie, criscito.

i would be very happy if we would get 15 millions plus giovinco and marchisio..... but i really can't see juve selling 2 potential world class players to get 1 world class player.
palladino and de ceglie, might be good too..... but i reckon we'll get palladino and criscito.

Last edited:

I agree with all you say, but I think you don't give Chiellini enough credit as cb. The guy almost singlehandedly transformed(although Zanetti and later Sissoko's protection helped) juve's defence from worthless into one of the best in Italy, whenever he plays. The few he games he missed this season, the defence fell apart completely and it was shameful to watch. He IS the juve defence, and in this case that is saying a lot. He's been one of Serie A's topperforming cb's.

About the Amauri deal... I'll commit suicide if even one of Giovinco or Marchisio is included.

Might I ask, how is Momo doing? Has he started frustrating fans with his passing? He'd still be a fan favorite for the amount of effort he puts in.

Haven't watched much of Serie A, as it's mainly La Liga for me these days.

Momo has been immense. :) He makes up so much ground in no time and surpisingly his many tackles amount to very little fouls. He's always tactically and physically present. He's consistently been one of the better players since his arrival.

His passing is quite poor yes, but if he's paired in the middle with a more creative player with a great passing range, he'd be quickly considered as one of the best dmf's around. A more creative players would mask Momo's shortcomings and Sissoko makes having another dmf a bit redundant anyway. This was well portrayed when Sissoko was paired with Camoranesi(Camo had to shift positions, due to Zanetti's injury, Nocerino's poor form and Tiago not meeting standards) in the centre against Inter. This duo dominated the midfield.

I agree with all you say, but I think you don't give Chiellini enough credit as cb. The guy almost singlehandedly transformed(although Zanetti and later Sissoko's protection helped) juve's defence from worthless into one of the best in Italy, whenever he plays. The few he games he missed this season, the defence fell apart completely and it was shameful to watch. He IS the juve defence, and in this case that is saying a lot. He's been one of Serie A's topperforming cb's.

don't get me wrong, Dom. like i wrote before, i have an immense respect for the way chiellini handled the cb role this season.
he has been very, very good..... actually we should say he has been fantastic, considering that's not his proper role....

but still, if u take a closer look at his performances, u'll notice many mistakes (wich are absolutely normal, coz he's not playing in his role), and i honestly wouldn't say he has been one of serie a's topperforming cbs...
nesta and kaladze have been awesome (as usual).... milan had some problems in defence this season, i know, but this is mostly due to the lack of protection at midfield (and u already remarked the huge protection juventus defence has).
and the same can be said about the napoli cb couple. domizzi and cannavaro junior are being simply astonishing this season, and it looks like they're really becoming 2 fantastic cbs, as they had a continuous growth in the last 3 seasons.

samuel has been terrific, until his injury.... actually i'd say he has been the best cb in europe this season..... too bad he faced that terrific, season-ending injury.

and there are also many other cbs who have been great this season, like the udinese duo (zapata and felipe), or the fiorentina duo (dainelli and gamberini), or natali, who proved his quality and technique also in torino (after playing for many fantastic seasons at udine).

i'd say theese guys did better than chiellini.... but there's no shame in this. because, unlike chiellini, they played in their proper role.

so, to sum up, absolute respect for chiellini, who did something fantastic this season, playing so well in the cb role.......
but if would have to pick 4 cbs for italy, well chiellini wouldn't be one of em...... definitely he would be my pick for the left back position ;))

me 4 months ago said:
now also Cagni is unemployed..... Cagni???!!!!!
empoli's president, mr. Corsi is just another example about how stupid are the italian football clubs presidents... 2 seasons ago , in the middle of the season he fired baldini. Empoli was doing great, but the president found baldini's football a bit too attacking, a bit too revolutionary... so he decided to fire him, despite empoli was having a great season (what an idiot).
Silvio Baldini is an awesome coach. he was the one who invented that 4-2-3-1 formation luxemburgo used in real madrid.... he was the one who invented the "christmas tree" formation that guarranteed so many successes to milan in the past few years, he was the one who made the advanced midfielders coming back into fashion in the italian football, he was the first one who tried to put an advanced midfielder as a "low playmaker" (a la pirlo, or a la pizarro)..... most of his "inventions" are now part of the coaching courses in coverciano and nowadays everyone who wants to become a coach in italy has to study those "inventions" (about tactics and training).....
but maybe he wasn't good enough for president Corsi....
so Corsi hired Cagni, an old style, defensive coach.
but in the last 2 years Cagni totally changed his style, he changed his habits and became one of the most glorified and respected coaches in europe with his great empoli......
now mr. Corsi fired him..... maybe Cagni became too good for him

Corsi fired malesani and called cagni back again :LOL:
now, i know it's not really classy to say "i told so", but still....:SMOKIN:

Baldini instead resigned from catania.... not a big deal btw.. he's just too good to stay unemployed for long.

still talking about coaches, did any of u guys watched cagliari playing recently?!? :))
this Ballardini looks very promising!!!

edit after palermo - juventus:

amauri_football-wallpapers_com.jpg
:DD

Last edited:

Alex Del Piero has broken Gaetano Scirea’s Juventus appearance record :DANCE:

The gifted hitman is no stranger to honours, but becoming the Bianconeri’s all-time appearance leader irrevocably cements his place in calcio’s Hall of Fame. However hard they try, the media can’t question this achievement. Del Piero’s name has become synonymous with Italian football and his legacy is assured.

For my generation it is hard to imagine a Juventus without Del Piero. After 15 years in the Bianconeri jersey, the Padova youth product embodies the indomitable spirit of the Old Lady. With the game full of prima donnas and flashes in the pan, Del Piero stands out as a man with a powerful love of the game and his club.

While it would be easy to list a catalogue of Alex’s glorious moments, the true measure of the man surfaced after the Calciopoli scandal. Faced with the prospect of Serie B football, many stars would have baulked. Instead, Del Piero stepped up and topped the Capocannoniere chart.

Granted, his career may be winding down, but a recent poll revealed that the majority of Italians want to see Del Piero in the Azzurri shirt at Euro 2008. Glory in Austria and Switzerland would be a fitting international swansong for a great servant to the Italian game.

Grazie, my beloved Capitano :DD

Del Piero's 1st goal against Palermo was great classic turn...

Amauri's goals on the other hand...nice to show your future
employers what you can do...

And Mario Balotelli...now that's interesting

nice post martin :))

the most impressive thing is that usually theese records are established by cbs or gks.... players who can (with a bit of luck, talking about injuries and shape) keep playing at top level until they're 38, 30, even 40 years old (peruzzi, scirea, zoff, costacurta, vierchowood, ballotta....).

definitely u wouldn't expect a foward to establish such an important record.

and the craziest thing is that alessandro is playing each year better than the previous since 2004...wich is simply ridiculous.
i mean look at his performance sunday.... u just can't believe he's 33!!!

still talking about palermo-juve, may i say i'm really impressed by sissoko?
i have to admit i was pretty skeptical about him... but he's really proving me wrong.
definitely he has not (yet) the tecnique and the positioning sense u should expect from a serie a central midfielder..... but what a presence!!!! it looks like he could hold the midfield just by himself! :BLINK:

Sabac Red said:
And Mario Balotelli...now that's interesting
yep. this is the 3rd time i see him playing this season.... and it really looks like he could become some player. sunday he wasn't even playing in his role, but nevertheless, even starting from the sideline, he was a serious threat.

Sabac Red said:
Amauri's goals on the other hand...nice to show your future
employers what you can do...
during the post match interview, ranieri said "actually we already knew how good he is.... he didn't have to show us what he's about with this outstanding performance... but i guess it's too late now"
:LOL:

trouble is, this was really nothing special for amauri, as he has been playing like this (and even better) almost every week in the last 2 years. :))

so, Martin, Dom, let's negotiate...
we give u amauri, and u give us marchisio, giovinco, palladino, and 5\6 million euros......

do we have a deal??! :SMOKIN:

How about Almiron, Nocerino and Marchionni instead? I'll even throw Palladino in there.

nice try Dom.... but if u wanna get rid of almiron, then U will have to pay us! :-pp

jokes apart, if we would be talking about the empoli's almiron, the i would be all for it.... but after this season... ehm..

besides zamparini already said he's not interested in almiron.
marchionni will probably be part of the deal, as, after selling diana, we need a proper side player... and i think palermo would be the perfect place for marchionni.

as for nocerino, i like it, but we don't really need him.
zamaprini would love to get 3\4 players between giovinco, marchisio de ceglie and palladino, marchionni and some money.... i honestly don't think juve will let giovinco leaving....
but we might get marchisio, as juve is supposed to buy an high profile central midfielder this summer... wich wouldn't leave enough space for marchisio.

talking about palladino i'm pretty confident he'll wear the rosanero jersey next season... with trezeguet, del piero, amauri and iaquinta, raffaele won't have any chances to play.
---------------------------------------------------------------

talking about "dreams" here's something i would love to happen.

- milan selling gilardino to fiorentina.

- fiorentina trading pasqual and pazzini with barzagli and simplicio(plus a couple of millions for us).
with bovo and dellafiore coming back to palermo, our defensive line would be ok (zaccardo-rinaudo as starting cbs and dellafiore and biava-dellafiore as backups).

- juve giving us 1\2 of marchisio (co-ownership), criscito, palladino, marchionni and about 5\6 million euros (and this will probably be the final agreement between juve and palermo) for amauri.

- then, with the money we'll get from juve and fiorentina, we buy tissone from atalanta (to replace simplicio)....

if this would happen, i would be a happy man:DD

nice try Dom.... but if u wanna get rid of almiron, then U will have to pay us! :-pp

jokes apart, if we would be talking about the empoli's almiron, the i would be all for it.... but after this season... ehm..

besides zamparini already said he's not interested in almiron.

Yeah.. Almiron has been dissapointing, hasn't he. But he may be a better fit for Palermo, as Almiron is a small club player. :-pp

marchionni will probably be part of the deal, as, after selling diana, we need a proper side player... and i think palermo would be the perfect place for marchionni.

He'll be perfect for those two games per season he's fit anyway. :lol:

as for nocerino, i like it, but we don't really need him.
zamaprini would love to get 3\4 players between giovinco, marchisio de ceglie and palladino, marchionni and some money.... i honestly don't think juve will let giovinco leaving....
but we might get marchisio, as juve is supposed to buy an high profile central midfielder this summer... wich wouldn't leave enough space for marchisio.

Well I don't think I have to say anymore how much I rate Marchisio, it should be obvious by now :D. Anyway, even as backup, Marchisio would be perfect. He's so superiour to Nocerino, although they fill that role differently. Nocerino by now is completely redundant with Sissoko and Zanetti there. And as you said yourself Sissoko can hold a midfield down by himself, and thus allows him to be paired with a more creative cm. Sissoko - CMF, with Zanetti and Marchisio as backup should be excellent.

Giovinco's talent is obvious for everbody, and I think even Secco and Ranieri agree that Giovinco has to be kept.

talking about palladino i'm pretty confident he'll wear the rosanero jersey next season... with trezeguet, del piero, amauri and iaquinta, raffaele won't have any chances to play.

I agree that it's likely Palladino will leave Juve, but I read this morning that Palladino would refuse a transfer to Palermo. Fiorentina or Napoli are more likely destinations for him.

---------------------------------------------------------------
talking about "dreams" here's something i would love to happen.

- milan selling gilardino to fiorentina.
Prandelli to 'revive' Gilardino..

- fiorentina trading pasqual and pazzini with barzagli and simplicio(plus a couple of millions for us).
with bovo and dellafiore coming back to palermo, our defensive line would be ok (zaccardo-rinaudo as starting cbs and dellafiore and biava-dellafiore as backups).

Pasqual? I like him, but what about Balzaretti?

- juve giving us 1\2 of marchisio (co-ownership), criscito, palladino, marchionni and about 5\6 million euros (and this will probably be the final agreement between juve and palermo) for amauri.

You can have 1/1 of Nocerino, if we keep Marchisio!

- then, with the money we'll get from juve and fiorentina, we buy tissone from atalanta (to replace simplicio)....

if this would happen, i would be a happy man:DD

Well it's just speculation, but these deals do not seem that far-fetched. Although I reckon more money will be put on the table and less swapping.

Yeah.. Almiron has been dissapointing, hasn't he. But he may be a better fit for Palermo, as Almiron is a small club player.

fair enough :-pp
almiron has class, but he hasn't the confidence, the personality required to prove himself on the big stage, imo.

marchionni will be perfect for those two games per season he's fit anyway.
yep :LOL:

Well I don't think I have to say anymore how much I rate Marchisio, it should be obvious by now . Anyway, even as backup, Marchisio would be perfect. He's so superiour to Nocerino, although they fill that role differently. Nocerino by now is completely redundant with Sissoko and Zanetti there. And as you said yourself Sissoko can hold a midfield down by himself, and thus allows him to be paired with a more creative cm. Sissoko - CMF, with Zanetti and Marchisio as backup should be excellent.

i see your pont, Don. But a young, (very) talented player like marchisio MUST play to grow up. in torino he couldn't be nothing more than a backup, and this is not good for him. So, if he's a smart guy, he'll realise it wouldn't be a wise choice to go to torino and will choose a destination that will guarrantee him more playtime.
if he is as silly as palladino instead, he will probably waste his time in torino, warming the bench.

I agree that it's likely Palladino will leave Juve, but I read this morning that Palladino would refuse a transfer to Palermo. Fiorentina or Napoli are more likely destinations for him.
coz napoli is his hometown and fiorentina would give him more money... but neither fiorentina nor napoli have amauri (who is juve's main target for the next season), so i don't think he will have any choice.

Pasqual? I like him, but what about Balzaretti?
if colantuono will stay here next season, we'll need more side players. i'm very happy about balzaretti, but we also need a more offensive left back (as pasqual) to have more options.
moreover fiorentina is interested in barzagli and simplicio and pazzini and pasqual are probably the only good arguments to "persuade" zamparini to sell 2 of ours biggest assets.
of course fiorentina would let pazzini leave only if they would reach gila (wich might happen this summer).

Last edited:

It seems Ronaldinho is almost certainly going to Milan. I just got back today from Milano and I saw Galliani, Nuno Assiss (Ronaldinho's brother and agent) and Bronzetti (Milan's agent) in Via Turati!!!!!!!

Anyway... how awesome was Amauri's goal against Juve??? I know you guys talked about it but I'm a week late... Cassani's shot in the last minutes was also awesome, great to see Palermo winning again. Ben did you watch the game on SKY? Did you hear Caressa call Sissoko a freak of nature? Because of his crazy game??

Biggest talking point for me is FIORENTINA in UEFA cup. Truely great performance and strong unity by the team. Prandelli again, showing his talent.

On a side note, if any of you know the show Stricia, they had a clip of Mancini stuck in an elevator for 40 minutes! Was quite funny if you heard the questions they asked him.

Simic + Maldini in centre defense = disaster :(

Im dreading the trip to Turin.

Back
Top Bottom