The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

Canada have some very good players. Jonathan David played here in Belgium and he was by far the best player of the League.

And speaking of good players, Charles De Ketelaere from Brugge is great, he is far too good for the Jupiler League. Best Belgian player since Kevin De Bruyne. He will be something special. I've read that Spurs are interested in him, they should have gone for him this transfer window because in summer he will go to bigger clubs. Very versatile too, can play as a number 10, CF, right or left winger, number 8, left wingback and even left side back. He is so good. Physically imposing, quick and technically magnificent and above all, he reads the game wqonderfully good. More and more people over here think that he can become as good as KDB.

Mate @mattmid such bad luck Vs Charlton ,just finished watching it ,own goal and plenty of chances to tie it last 10 min.
Bummer!
Btw ,saw that half of one terrace was torn down/being reuild.
Have they finished one half already ,or are they building that part first before tearing down the second part?

Mainly to meet safety regulations as it's such an old stand. Had to do a lot of work on it underneath and supports etc to meet safety standards otherwise there was a chance it would have to be closed and a bit of it was. They are relaying the concrete and putting new seats down. They are doing the other half in the summer. Top part they put new seats in during the early part of the season. If only there'd been a chance to do it when there were no fans allowed... :LOL:

It's the story of the season really, huff and puff but very little end product and although last night was unlucky with the goals against us, I don't think we ever looked like winning the game. I was really impressed with that Tyler Blackett-Taylor. What a goal that would have been with that long run and shot in the first half!

Yeah I saw that was well offside afterwards after seeing it. Did any players appeal at the time, can't say at the time that I remember any big appeal about it and we weren't aware it was offside until people in the crowd had seen it on their phones and word got around. I thought Jacobs, who the manager continually refuses to start all season (although he apparently was going to start him last night but he got covid a week or so ago so couldn't) made a world of difference. Once he came on he ran at them, got in a couple of dangerous crosses and scored. We're crying out for a creative player and he's the only one we have and he rarely gets a game.

Our signings under the Cowley's have generally been awful. Two loans aside, in Bazunu (who's been brilliant and won us more points than anyone) and Romeo and permanent signing Morell, who's done ok the rest have made us worse. Our team that won League 2 five years ago would beat this side easily.

I was very unimpressed with Tyler Walker's home debut. His dad (Des) he is not! Barely touched the ball. I don't know what we do to strikers. Nobody can score when they come us in the last few years. We got John Marquis, 20-25 goal striker for years before we signed him. Couldn't hit a barn door for us most weeks. Transferred him two weeks ago and he's got 2 in 2 for Lincoln. :ROLL: Likewise sold Ellis Harrison to Fleetwood and he's done the same.

We've got that Hirst on loan (son of David, remember him from Sheff Weds?) again nothing like his dad. He's going great guns with 2 goals in 20. The fact he was on loan at Rotherham last season and scored 0(!) in 31 games might have been an indication that he wouldn't get many I'd have thought!

Now we've signed a striker from Sunderland who's scored 5 in 45 games for them including 3 in one game! Maybe we're trying the reverse, get one who can't score and maybe he will for us.

Mid table obscurity I think this season, assuming we don't stop scoring altogether and slip down further. The football was awful and turgid under Jackett but he did get results, not that I'd wish to ever have the misfortune to watch his football again. Now the football we're playing is a bit better but we aren't getting results. Ah the life of a football fan! :LOL:

Mainly to meet safety regulations as it's such an old stand. Had to do a lot of work on it underneath and supports etc to meet safety standards otherwise there was a chance it would have to be closed and a bit of it was. They are relaying the concrete and putting new seats down. They are doing the other half in the summer. Top part they put new seats in during the early part of the season. If only there'd been a chance to do it when there were no fans allowed... :LOL:

It's the story of the season really, huff and puff but very little end product and although last night was unlucky with the goals against us, I don't think we ever looked like winning the game. I was really impressed with that Tyler Blackett-Taylor. What a goal that would have been with that long run and shot in the first half!

Yeah I saw that was well offside afterwards after seeing it. Did any players appeal at the time, can't say at the time that I remember any big appeal about it and we weren't aware it was offside until people in the crowd had seen it on their phones and word got around. I thought Jacobs, who the manager continually refuses to start all season (although he apparently was going to start him last night but he got covid a week or so ago so couldn't) made a world of difference. Once he came on he ran at them, got in a couple of dangerous crosses and scored. We're crying out for a creative player and he's the only one we have and he rarely gets a game.

Our signings under the Cowley's have generally been awful. Two loans aside, in Bazunu (who's been brilliant and won us more points than anyone) and Romeo and permanent signing Morell, who's done ok the rest have made us worse. Our team that won League 2 five years ago would beat this side easily.

I was very unimpressed with Tyler Walker's home debut. His dad (Des) he is not! Barely touched the ball. I don't know what we do to strikers. Nobody can score when they come us in the last few years. We got John Marquis, 20-25 goal striker for years before we signed him. Couldn't hit a barn door for us most weeks. Transferred him two weeks ago and he's got 2 in 2 for Lincoln. :ROLL: Likewise sold Ellis Harrison to Fleetwood and he's done the same.

We've got that Hirst on loan (son of David, remember him from Sheff Weds?) again nothing like his dad. He's going great guns with 2 goals in 20. The fact he was on loan at Rotherham last season and scored 0(!) in 31 games might have been an indication that he wouldn't get many I'd have thought!

Now we've signed a striker from Sunderland who's scored 5 in 45 games for them including 3 in one game! Maybe we're trying the reverse, get one who can't score and maybe he will for us.

Mid table obscurity I think this season, assuming we don't stop scoring altogether and slip down further. The football was awful and turgid under Jackett but he did get results, not that I'd wish to ever have the misfortune to watch his football again. Now the football we're playing is a bit better but we aren't getting results. Ah the life of a football fan! :LOL:
Didn't see any protest for offside as i can remember.
Yeah life of a fan ,like an old dog chained in the backyard hoping for scraps to eat and not getting beat up.

Thought this was quite a good one, so I'll leave it here until 5pm:

"I won the Champions League twice in the 1990s before moving to the Premier League in 1998. The team I joined would later win the Champions League but eight years after I'd left them. I was an FA Cup winner during my time in England and I won 116 caps at international level. Who am I?"

Marcel Desailly

Last edited:
Thought this was quite a good one, so I'll leave it here until 5pm:

"I won the Champions League twice in the 1990s before moving to the Premier League in 1998. The team I joined would later win the Champions League but eight years after I'd left them. I was an FA Cup winner during my time in England and I won 116 caps at international level. Who am I?"
Marcel Desailly?

I don't understand why Mané shoot the penalty ! It's obvious that Salah told Kabaski about the place.

It's very risky then

First competitive Aberdeen home game I've missed out of choice in... I honestly can't recall. Could be 20 years, maybe.

Says a lot about how shite they are and how much I can't be arsed with football in general anymore. 😕

I get where you're coming from. Got to feeling like that watching under Kenny Jackett, he got the results but it was the most turgid football I've ever had the misfortune to watch. I swear his half time target was to go in 0-0. Not that the football's improved that much under the Cowley's either and results are worse.

As for last night's game neither team could string two passes together for most of the match. We got 3 points for being less shit than they were! Still our 2 goals in 23 games loan striker is really doing the business. You'd have thought his 0 goals in 31 games last season on loan at Rotherham might have been a sign. :ROLL: Now we've added another loan striker who's got 2 in 19 for Coventry and he's currently 0 in 4. Also signed one from Sunderland who has 1 in 7 this season after 4 in 32 last season. Got a real eye for a goalscorer has Danny Cowley it would seem!!

I didn't know it's possible to give two yellow card in the same action

First time I've ever seen it done. There was one earlier in the season and I forget who it was now, who did a bad foul but the ref played advantage and then maybe 10-20 seconds later he fouled again and the free kick was given and I thought surely he should get two yellows here (because the second foul was bad as well) but he only got one yellow. Can't think who it was now, possibly a Man City player as the first foul was one of those stop opponents from breaking fouls that they constantly do.

I didn't know it's possible to give two yellow card in the same action

I'm wracking my brain to remember it happening relatively recently. Definitely has, in a reasonably high-profile game, in the past few years.

It's caused quite a stir. I can understand the questioning of whether they are yellow cards or not, especially the second one. But some people (mainly Arsenal fans and ex-players, naturally) seem to question the fairness of it happening in the same passage of play. Perfectly fair to me!

I am so bored of reading about referees. One of our star players has complained about them publicly today after we should've been awarded penalties in our last two games. Well, we conceded five goals over those two games. Focus on that instead. I know it's a deflection tactic, but it's getting really tiresome.

About those two yellows for Martinelli, perfectly normal for me, he deserved both of them.
Is it fair two give both of them? Yes, of course. You don't see why he should get that second? Well suppose it's a Spurs player on Martinelli and he breaks his leg with the second one. Pretty sure every Arsenal will be fuming that it should be a yellow and then a straight red.

I'm also waiting (not hoping) until the wait and see off-side rule will cause a serious injury. That is another completely ridiculous rule.

And for the Arsenal fans, yes i'm a Spurs fan, but i quite like Arsenal and i see lots of potential in your current young team. I'm afraid that at the end of the season there will be another Saint Totteringsday... Arsenal are in a better state than Spurs.

I was thrown out of a Flemish Spurs facebook group because i wrote that it is completely ridiculous to hate Arsenal because you are a Spurs fan (the opposite is of course also completely ridiculous). I don't feel compelled to hate some clubs because i support one particular club (i should also hate Chelsea and West Ham United because i'm a Spurs fan, well i even quite like Chelsea).

PS: for the people here who follow Union. After winning against all the big clubs, they lost their match to Sint-Truiden, a club that is close to relegation. That is what i feared, decompression and not being able to play counter football. They are playing weaker teams now and that will be harder for them.

Watching Aberdeen V St Johnstone
Didnt see that coming @Flipper the Priest
Btw ,hope you never build a new stadium ,Pittodrie is a proper looker.

*Edit felt like I jinxed it buddy ,I'll be at the CL stadiums from now on^^

It was yet another disappointment. The defending for their goal was jaw-droppingly bad. We actually improved when Scott Brown and the Lewis Ferguson - both midfielders - ended up playing in defence. They pushed the whole team forward. That said, it took a very, very soft penalty call to get us back in it.

New manager likely to be appointed by the weekend, although probably not in time to take charge of the game. Anyone but Neil Lennon...

Pittodrie isn't the worst looking stadium but it shows its age. I'd be happy if they just filled the corners in to block the wind!

PS: for the people here who follow Union. After winning against all the big clubs, they lost their match to Sint-Truiden, a club that is close to relegation. That is what i feared, decompression and not being able to play counter football. They are playing weaker teams now and that will be harder for them.

Yeah I saw that result and thought straight away about what you'd said. Let's hope they can bounce back and finish the regular season with a winning run to start with a decent lead in the final stage

About those two yellows for Martinelli, perfectly normal for me, he deserved both of them.
Is it fair two give both of them? Yes, of course. You don't see why he should get that second? Well suppose it's a Spurs player on Martinelli and he breaks his leg with the second one. Pretty sure every Arsenal will be fuming that it should be a yellow and then a straight red.

I agree with this, the only question is, and I'm not saying it's right, but had the game stopped between his yellows would he have made the second challenge? Probably not. Either way it doesn't take away from the fact they were both yellow cards

It was yet another disappointment. The defending for their goal was jaw-droppingly bad. We actually improved when Scott Brown and the Lewis Ferguson - both midfielders - ended up playing in defence. They pushed the whole team forward. That said, it took a very, very soft penalty call to get us back in it.

Did your self imposed exile end?

New manager likely to be appointed by the weekend, although probably not in time to take charge of the game. Anyone but Neil Lennon...

Pittodrie isn't the worst looking stadium but it shows its age. I'd be happy if they just filled the corners in to block the wind!
Always tricky ,I loved our old 15k ground , scrappy and pretty much standing on three sides , noisy as hell ,but quite limiting (derbys played elsewhere for security reasons and past incidents)
Screenshot_2022-02-16-12-19-02-864_com.android.chrome.jpg

Not really liking our new stadium (2013) a shiny uefa approved stadium , we're getting there ,but still hasn't got that familiar vibe like our old one had ,but it has let us grow massively.
image.jpg

@rockstrongo

Love the old stadiums, warts and all. All we hear nowadays is the new buzz word of improving the 'matchday experience'. Well for me, what's on the pitch is the matchday experience, I could care less about anything else. I'm there to watch football, not be entertained :LOL: (said only slightly tongue in cheek!)

Last edited:
@rockstrongo

Love the old stadiums, warts and all. All we hear nowadays is the new buzz word off improving the 'matchday experience'. Well for me, what's on the pitch is the matchday experience, I could care less about anything else. I'm there to watch football, not be entertained :LOL: (said only slightly tongue in cheek!)
I agree ,an old ground has generations of people making the mark on it.
Plus I've never had that feeling in a new ground ,you know when you walk up the stairs and see the pitch and the floodlights ,that feeling of joy.

Back
Top Bottom