The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

@rockstrongo

Love the old stadiums, warts and all. All we hear nowadays is the new buzz word of improving the 'matchday experience'. Well for me, what's on the pitch is the matchday experience, I could care less about anything else. I'm there to watch football, not be entertained :LOL: (said only slightly tongue in cheek!)

I can see both sides of it. For me, getting a pie at half time is a bit ooh la la. That's as decadent as I get. I'm happy to show up, see the game and go home.

But I can also accept that, today, people might want more. Football in the flesh can be a pretty hard sell. Paying £25 to watch Aberdeen vs St Johnstone on a cold Tuesday night in February, caught up in traffic before and after - form an orderly queue(!) I'd much rather do that than watch PSG vs Real Madrid in a cosy living room in 4K, but I can see why it's not for everyone.

Because of our pathetic commercial deals, Scottish teams need as many people through the door as they can, so I can see why they want to offer more value than just the shite that's usually served up on the park! 😀

I like modern stadiums. But not the spaceship new Santiago Bernabeu. More then Wanda Metropolitano or Allianz Stadium.

But the old ones like Stamford Bridge or Anfield and San Siro are absolutly amazing football Arena's.

I can see both sides of it. For me, getting a pie at half time is a bit ooh la la. That's as decadent as I get. I'm happy to show up, see the game and go home.

But I can also accept that, today, people might want more. Football in the flesh can be a pretty hard sell. Paying £25 to watch Aberdeen vs St Johnstone on a cold Tuesday night in February, caught up in traffic before and after - form an orderly queue(!) I'd much rather do that than watch PSG vs Real Madrid in a cosy living room in 4K, but I can see why it's not for everyone.

Because of our pathetic commercial deals, Scottish teams need as many people through the door as they can, so I can see why they want to offer more value than just the shite that's usually served up on the park! 😀
For me ,live football can't be beat.
Supporting your local team ,running around in a PSG jersey (with city on the inside just turn it inside out for next week) when there's a local team playing is just weird.
But those people are wired a bit differently ,just don't get it.

Got a few plans for this season ,one is going full kit wanker at some away game ,proper boots and shinguards ,no sneakers!

I like modern stadiums. But not the spaceship new Santiago Bernabeu. More then Wanda Metropolitano or Allianz Stadium.

But the old ones like Stamford Bridge or Anfield and San Siro are absolutly amazing football Arena's.
For me the stadiums being converted from old gloomy ones to new modern ones are really nice.
Like San Siro ,Anfield had a nice upgrade , Westfalen (refuse Signal Iduna name) Is another ,plus Volkparkstadion in Hamburg is a really nice one too.

Remember how Stamford bridge use to look like?
Screenshot_2022-02-16-21-56-45-179_com.android.chrome.jpg
This is most likely late 80s early 90s

For me ,live football can't be beat.
Supporting your local team ,running around in a PSG jersey (with city on the inside just turn it inside out for next week) when there's a local team playing is just weird.
But those people are wired a bit differently ,just don't get it.

Got a few plans for this season ,one is going full kit wanker at some away game ,proper boots and shinguards ,no sneakers!

Oh yeah. It baffles me that people can get emotionally involved in teams from other countries. I get a soft spot for a team, but shouting and screaming at a TV from hundreds or thousands of miles away? Pass.

Oh yeah. It baffles me that people can get emotionally involved in teams from other countries. I get a soft spot for a team, but shouting and screaming at a TV from hundreds or thousands of miles away? Pass.
That's just weird ,my moron mates who are PL fans keeps going with "fucking hate arsenal" (spurs fans).
Why?
Did you grow up in North London ,fighting Arsenal fans verbally and/or physically growing up?
Can't understand that either.
I have a soft spot for Liverpool growing up ,and I'm glad when they're doing well etc.

For me the stadiums being converted from old gloomy ones to new modern ones are really nice.
Like San Siro ,Anfield had a nice upgrade , Westfalen (refuse Signal Iduna name) Is another ,plus Volkparkstadion in Hamburg is a really nice one too.

Remember how Stamford bridge use to look like?
View attachment 146240
This is most likely late 80s early 90s

Looks early/mid 80's to me but could be later. Pitch is too good for 70's that's for sure, it used to be a sandpit. That stand on the left is so bloody steep in the upper tier! Went there a couple of times in the mid/late 90's with someone who use to have a season ticket there and it felt like you were falling backwards when you walked up the steps.

Looks early/mid 80's to me but could be later. Pitch is too good for 70's that's for sure, it used to be a sandpit. That stand on the left is so bloody steep in the upper tier! Went there a couple of times in the mid/late 90's with someone who use to have a season ticket there and it felt like you were falling backwards when you walked up the steps.
Shit ,that stadium looks like a shitty serie b stadium ,loads of character though.
Wonder if Chelsea regrets not making a move somewhere else ,can't extend the stadium much more as it is.

They used to have car's parked in there as well.

Old steep terraces💚
When you got altitude sickness from climbing th

@rockstrongo

I think it used to have a greyhound track around the outside at one time too, hence the sand around it.
Bet today's PL fans have a hard tim believing how stadium and pitches looked back in the day.

Might be looking at it with rose tinted eyes but I loved those muddy pitches an skinny players with massive sideburns

Brilliant first half between (new) Barca and Napoli.
So weird seeing Barcelona play in The EL and without Messi (you know the guy who've scored 4 goals in France)

That's just weird ,my moron mates who are PL fans keeps going with "fucking hate arsenal" (spurs fans).
Why?
Did you grow up in North London ,fighting Arsenal fans verbally and/or physically growing up?
Can't understand that either.
I have a soft spot for Liverpool growing up ,and I'm glad when they're doing well etc.
As a Spurs fan, i completely agree. Although i want Spurs to win against Arsenal, i actually quite like Arsenal. Don't see why loving one team would implicate hating other ones. And, hating a football club, isn't that a bit weird. And why still hating <Arsenal for something that supposedly happened more than 100 years ago?

I live near the KV Mechelen stadium and am a season ticket holder because i like football, bit i'm not a Mechelen fan (i love Genk).
I know a guy who is hardcore Mechelen and he really hates every team that beats Mechelen, he is in a constant state of hate...i find that very sad.

I just don't know how you can attach love or hate to a club in another country, how emotions can be that strong when you're not immersed in it on a weekly basis.

There's one club in particular that attracts a lot of my ire. Do I hate them? I'm not sure. But I hate a lot of the things they do! A lot of their fans seem to hate everything and everyone in Scottish football not associated to their club, and believes there's a vendetta against them. For some it seems to account for a large part of their time, with entire social media and YouTube accounts dedicated to highlighting these so-called agendas. What an unfortunate way to live your life.

I just don't know how you can attach love or hate to a club in another country, how emotions can be that strong when you're not immersed in it on a weekly basis.

There's one club in particular that attracts a lot of my ire. Do I hate them? I'm not sure. But I hate a lot of the things they do! A lot of their fans seem to hate everything and everyone in Scottish football not associated to their club, and believes there's a vendetta against them. For some it seems to account for a large part of their time, with entire social media and YouTube accounts dedicated to highlighting these so-called agendas. What an unfortunate way to live your life.
I understand that, but is a club determined by it's fans? I think you are talking about either Celtic (my first guess) or Rangers. Both clubs are massive and so they also attract what i would call (rather unfortunately and i apologize) 'unsuitable' fans. I see two sorts of fans that clubs better don't have: those people who search confirmation by supporting a club (the club has success, ergo i have success) or the glory hunter.

I'm a Spurs fan since the 80's. I never considered them a really big club, but under Pocchetino they had some great seasons (third, second and a CL final). That has attracted some "new" fans. Now Spurs are considerably less good and lots of those fans are loosing patience very quickly.... hence they are very negative. Supporting a club is about the ups and the downs.

I have no issues hating a team and their supporters like I hate our rivals ,you've gone to school with them ,often loads of arguments every day ,workplace/gameday etc etc.

But foreign teams far away with no connection except via the TV.
It's just weird ,and hats off for your look on that @Stan
That's pretty much how I see everton (liking Liverpool) can't see myself hating ,not even disliking them.

I'm betting it's Rangers.
Though those two teams that seems more occupied keeping track of each other than themselves.
Plus two clubs that have won what 99% of league titles the past 50 years?
And from what I've learnt ,represents two different political systems (Celtic Scotland ) (Rangers GB) also taking the conflict from NI to Scotland back in the 70s-80s ,their rivalry was more a "ordinary" rivalry before that (from what I've learnt)
Anything wrong there @Flipper the Priest feel free to correct me

The rivalry between Rangers and Celtic is a religious one and has ties with the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Celtic are catholic and pro-Irish, Rangers are protestant and Unionist (Northern- Ireland as part of the UK). We had a couple of Cletic fans here (FD and Classic D, FD sometimes still visits evo-web). From them i understand that there is much bigotry in this rivalry (one of the most fierce in the world, maybe only Boca-River Plate is worse).

The rivalry between Celtic and Rangers is about more than football, although lots of fans don't even share the political and religious rivalry. There are people who are attracted by hatred and conflict and don't care about the origin of the rivalry.

The rivalry between Spurs and Arsenal started because Arsenal relocated to North London from Woolwich (lots of Spurs fans still call Arsenal Woolwich). After WWI, the first division started again and both Spurs and Arsenal should have been in it. Arsenal where afraid of having low attendance because of the vicinity of the more popular Spurs, but they had influence in the FA and what they did was persuading the FA to punt Spurs in the second division. This is what happened and since then Spurs are cultivating a stupid underdog mentality. Is this story correct? Not sure, since i've only heard or read Spurs sources. Could be very biased.

What an insane efl carabao cup finale match. But also amazing. Unbelivable! Congrats to the reds! :RSCARF::BSCARF:

If you've ever wondered this yourself...

Also from 1:15 you'll see why it's utterly ridiculous that anyone compares English and Scottish football side by side.
That is fascinating, and also terrifying.

The money problem in football is exploding all over the place, but nothing will ever be done to address it. Especially not in England - FFP has achieved fuck all to fix anything other than a finger-wag towards Man City, and the "fit-and-proper-person" test is "you must own at least one Ferrari".

One of several "that's just how 21st century life is and it'll never change" realisations I've had in the past week or two.

That is fascinating, and also terrifying.

The money problem in football is exploding all over the place, but nothing will ever be done to address it. Especially not in England - FFP has achieved fuck all to fix anything other than a finger-wag towards Man City, and the "fit-and-proper-person" test is "you must own at least one Ferrari".

One of several "that's just how 21st century life is and it'll never change" realisations I've had in the past week or two.

I think the pandemic has exposed the true extent of elite-level football's soul-selling. The Super League, the Newcastle takeover, the pant pissing over Messi and Ronaldo's transfers. All unedifying spectacles at the best of times, let alone against a backdrop of suffering and increasing poverty.

Can't football just be integrity's last bastion of power? Government and industry has fallen, but could we not at least get cunts out of football? It seems like a relatively simple fix.

Back
Top Bottom