The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

For me the stadiums being converted from old gloomy ones to new modern ones are really nice.
Like San Siro ,Anfield had a nice upgrade , Westfalen (refuse Signal Iduna name) Is another ,plus Volkparkstadion in Hamburg is a really nice one too.

Remember how Stamford bridge use to look like?
View attachment 146240
This is most likely late 80s early 90s
Screenshot_91.png
my laptop wallpaper , the shed end

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60637196

Heavy riots in Liga MX. Medias are speaking of "only" 26 injured, but people on twitter and other channels speak of at least 17 dead persons. Policemen did nothing to stop the fightings.
I would definitely recomment not to watch the footage which goes around in social medias. I accidentely did it (because I didnt't know what happened) and it's absolutely shocking and left me speechless.

• Sad
Reactions: Tom
RM and Barca made the right choice to not offer a new contract to Messi and Ramos

Messi isn't no more capable physically to play high level in CL

And once again PSG falter. Sorry club, pathetic bunch of players, poor Pocchetino. He will be the biggest victim, i can see him being sacked within a week.
But the fact is that this is not a team.

I saw them live against Brugge. End result 1-1, but Brugge should have won that match. Would that have been a big surprise? No, it would have been logical.
Why? Well that match (like yesterday) PSG played with MNM and if you play with MNM you play 8 against 11 when the opponent has the ball. MNM simply don't do defensive work. In modern football you can't afford 3 luxury players. Coaches like Guardiola will say you can't afford a single luxury player.

And yesterday illustrated that their defense is useless. According to FIFA Donnarumma was the best GK of 2021 and Courtois was the 8th best. What a travesty. Courtois is probably the best and yesterday's Donnarumma isn't even in the top 100.

And then that defense, Presnel Kimpembe must be the most overrated defender in the world (perhaps ever?).

And most damning this is a bunch of stars devoid of any team spirit. They were the (much) better team for an hour and then they give Real a goal as a present and the sand castle crumbles immediately. Look how 36 year old Modric can run with the ball from deep in his own half and give a wonderful pass to Vinicius. Vinicius takes the wrong decision but the PSG defense allow him to pass the ball to Modric, then comes a litle exquisite pass of the year and its 2-1. Less than a minute later the match is won with a third goal. Right from the kick-off PSG loose the ball and allow Benzema to score his third goal.

What follows is business as usual for PSG: downing tools, frustration, revenge, stupid yellow cards (you can't say Kimpembe doesn't excell, because here he really excelled, as ever, what a pathetic player).

From the 11 starters of PSG i would take 3: Verrati, Hakimi and Mbappé (but he needs a coach who can persuade him to do defensive work). If you know that Mbappé will leave PSG, what a bright future they have.

IMO this is wonderful for football. Money can't buy you titles. The Harlem Globetrotters can't win from real football clubs. I don't like Real Madrid, but yesterday was a wonderful evening for football. PSG has to do a radical rebuild and it will be interesting to see what they will do apart from sacking Pocchetino.

And Messi, poor Messi. He should have gone to Newell's Old Boys that would have been a fairy talle end for his brilliant carreer, but now he is tainting is own legacy. Sad. Be sensible and leave PSG asap.

Last edited:
And once again PSG falter. Sorry club, pathetic bunch of players, poor Pocchetino. He will be the biggest victim, i can see him being sacked within a week.
But the fact is that this is not a team.

I saw them live against Brugge. End result 1-1, but Brugge should have won that match. Would that have been a big surprise? No, it would have been logical.
Why? Well that match (like yesterday) PSG played with MNM and if you play with MNM you play 8 against 11 when the opponent has the ball. MNM simply don't do defensive work. In modern football you can't afford 3 luxury players. Coaches like Guardiola will say you can't afford a single luxury player.

And yesterday illustrated that their defense is useless. According to FIFA Donnarumma was the best GK of 2021 and Courtois was the 8th best. What a travesty. Courtois is probably the best and yesterday's Donnarumma isn't even in the top 100.

And then that defense, Presnel Kimpembe must be the most overrated defender in the world (perhaps ever?).

And most damning this is a bunch of stars devoid of any team spirit. They were the (much) better team for an hour and then they give Real a goal as a present and the sand castle crumbles immediately. Look how 36 year old Modric can run with the ball from deep in his own half and give a wonderful pass to Vinicius. Vinicius takes the wrong decision but the PSG defense allow him to pass the ball to Modric, then comes a litle exquisite pass of the year and its 2-1. Less than a minute later the match is won with a third goal. Right from the kick-off PSG loose the ball and allow Benzema to score his third goal.

What follows is business as usual for PSG: downing tools, frustration, revenge, stupid yellow cards (you can't say Kimpembe doesn't excell, because here he really excelled, as ever, what a pathetic player).

From the 11 starters of PSG i would take 3: Verrati, Hakimi and Mbappé (but he needs a coach who can persuade him to do defensive work). If you know that Mbappé will leave PSG, what a bright future they have.

IMO this is wonderful for football. Money can't buy you titles. The Harlem Globetrotters can't win from real football clubs. I don't like Real Madrid, but yesterday was a wonderful evening for football. PSG has to do a radical rebuild and it will be interesting to see what they will do apart from sacking Pocchetino.

And Messi, poor Messi. He should have gone to Newell's Old Boys that would have been a fairy talle end for his brilliant carreer, but now he is tainting is own legacy. Sad. Be sensible and leave PSG asap.

Very well put.

Another thing that strikes me about PSG is the total lack of height and physical strength. That was very evident to me last night. It's not a requisite, but it helps in a battle. Benzema's a presence but he looked like Hulk Hogan last night, throwing the defenders around. It was embarrassing, especially when there's not the tenacity and intensity to compensate. There's nothing of Modric (once described, brilliant by Barney Ronay, as looking like a 'small boy dressed as a witch') but he uses what he has very well and is fearless.

I revel in seeing PSG go out (still fewer European trophies than Aberdeen) but I still find myself frustrated at that performance last night as it was all those grievances laid bare PLUS a lack of professionalism that I hate to see in any context.

The PSG players look like spoiled brats. A bunch of would be stars and far from a team. If you look at the teams over the years and how they throw away good positions and opportunities, the technical staff of the club looks completely clueless. Is it still Leonardo? I have the feeling that I would do better ( and I assure you that I would not be the person to do that). They invested more than 1 billion euro in that team and what did they win in Europe? Nada.

Splendid, money can buy you a World Cup tournament, But not necessarily silverware outside of France, gentlemen (???) from Quatar.

Last edited:
Great video, love Modric, what a great player he has been and still is. Would have loved to have seen inside the PSG dressing room after the game. That would have been an eye opener.

Splendid, money can buy you a World Cup tournament, But not necessarily silverware outside of France, gentlemen (???) from Quatar.

And they haven't even managed to win the French League every season either!

Saw a mini documentary on polish team Raków Częstochowa.
They played polish 2nd/3rd tier as late as 2016 ,got some tech money ,but most importantly got a new head coach with different approach to team sports ,a former PE teacher (still worked halftime as it a few years ago) and has risen up to polish Ekstraklasa (their PL) and has won the cup ,played conference League ,and are now sitting on top of the polish league.

So cool to see that (not only) money makes succes ,but hard work and a different approach.
He never budges on his questionnaire after the games ,players need to evaluate themselves and others for instance.
Love stories like this , especially Vs Putin money or Saudi money

Interesting viewing. Or so I think.

I love Gary Neville. Strong social conscience and a willing to admit when he's wrong. Speaks well on the subject.

On the topic of managers speaking out about their owner's antics, I can understand them not going into any detail about the subject (if they don't know them at the time of questioning) but it's upon them to learn I think.

Football and politics absolutely mix. Or at least they should. It'd be remiss of the game not involve itself in politics, given its standing in society.

I love Gary Neville. Strong social conscience and a willing to admit when he's wrong. Speaks well on the subject.

On the topic of managers speaking out about their owner's antics, I can understand them not going into any detail about the subject (if they don't know them at the time of questioning) but it's upon them to learn I think.

Football and politics absolutely mix. Or at least they should. It'd be remiss of the game not involve itself in politics, given its standing in society.
The only one's claiming football and politics don't mix over here is the right wing supporters who doesn't want to see any 🌈 flags or Refugee's welcome banners (which are pretty apolitical to me)

Football and politics have always gone hand in hand ,can't really build/run a club/stadium without it ,or take a stand like the world is doing atm.
Plus the numerous clubs using the sport for its green/white washing is pretty damn political (City/Newcastle/PSG being top dogs ).

Should you as a player/coach take a stand?
Good question ,I think so ,but we all know it's not that easy to do.
Though the world right now is probably shaming players that still plays in the Russian league but keeps pretty quiet on the club's mentioned above ,or defend the club's above but demands sanctions on clubs in Russia.
The money brought in to Chelsea are as dirty and disgusting as Newcastle/City.
Can't really aquire those funds/powers in Qatar/Emirates/Saudi without the ok from the ruling government.

And a great explanation by G Neville

Last edited:
The only one's claiming football and politics don't mix over here is the right wing supporters who doesn't want to see any 🌈 flags or Refugee's welcome banners (which are pretty apolitical to me)

Football and politics have always gone hand in hand ,can't really build/run a club/stadium without it ,or take a stand like the world is doing atm.
Plus the numerous clubs using the sport for its green/white washing is pretty damn political (City/Newcastle/PSG being top dogs ).

Should you as a player/coach take a stand?
Good question ,I think so ,but we all know it's not that easy to do.
Though the world right now is probably shaming players that still plays in the Russian league but keeps pretty quiet on the club's mentioned above ,or defend the club's above but demands sanctions on clubs in Russia.
The money brought in to Chelsea are as dirty and disgusting as Newcastle/City.
Can't really aquire those funds/powers in Qatar/Emirates/Saudi without the ok from the ruling government.

As Neville says, Tuchel has found the right balance in his responsibilities both as a Chelsea employee and a public figure. The reaction of some fans has been questionable. I feel sorry for older Chelsea fans, the ones who'd support the club through thick and thin, but fans of New Chelsea should accept this situation should come with the territory. It shouldn't have taken war to shine the spotlight on the club's ownership, ownership that shouldn't have come to be in the first place.

In the UK it's also the more conservative element who reject politics in football. Perhaps surprisingly, as a lefty, I empathise a little. Mostly, social issues in football take the form of awareness campaigns. The message: change your ways. But why? That's beneath the surface of the take home message, and the only people who'll engage with that - read the articles, watch the videos - are those who are onside anyway and enjoy the content. Those whose opinions need softening will reject the campaign out of hand.

And we need to think of the demographic. Those campaigns and largely played out on digital platforms, preferring a younger, more liberal audience to begin with. They're usually cowardly when it comes to tackling cultural differences, too. The number of tweets about the Rainbow Laces campaign posted on the official Premier League account in India? Zero. The number of Rainbow Laces tweets on Liverpool's (as a fleeting example) Arabic account? Zero.

Everyone hates being told what to think. First and foremost, that's what these campaigns do. Without substance and without targeting the right people - they're worthless.

That's kinda veering from the subject - club ownership - but I had to get it off my chest! I consider myself very liberal and miss the incremental change I feel society was experiencing when I was younger. Now, we're witnessing more intolerance than ever.

TL;DR:

- Don't be a dick.
- Don't take the piss.
- We're all just human beings trying to get by.

As Neville says, Tuchel has found the right balance in his responsibilities both as a Chelsea employee and a public figure. The reaction of some fans has been questionable. I feel sorry for older Chelsea fans, the ones who'd support the club through thick and thin, but fans of New Chelsea should accept this situation should come with the territory. It shouldn't have taken war to shine the spotlight on the club's ownership, ownership that shouldn't have come to be in the first place.

In the UK it's also the more conservative element who reject politics in football. Perhaps surprisingly, as a lefty, I empathise a little. Mostly, social issues in football take the form of awareness campaigns. The message: change your ways. But why? That's beneath the surface of the take home message, and the only people who'll engage with that - read the articles, watch the videos - are those who are onside anyway and enjoy the content. Those whose opinions need softening will reject the campaign out of hand.

And we need to think of the demographic. Those campaigns and largely played out on digital platforms, preferring a younger, more liberal audience to begin with. They're usually cowardly when it comes to tackling cultural differences, too. The number of tweets about the Rainbow Laces campaign posted on the official Premier League account in India? Zero. The number of Rainbow Laces tweets on Liverpool's (as a fleeting example) Arabic account? Zero.

Everyone hates being told what to think. First and foremost, that's what these campaigns do. Without substance and without targeting the right people - they're worthless.

That's kinda veering from the subject - club ownership - but I had to get it off my chest! I consider myself very liberal and miss the incremental change I feel society was experiencing when I was younger. Now, we're witnessing more intolerance than ever.

TL;DR:

- Don't be a dick.
- Don't take the piss.
- We're all just human beings trying to get by.
Very good write up buddy

1647361865180.png

I don't agree with the sanctions that are taken against Chelsea. Regardless who the owner is, imo football clubs are national (and even more local) heritage and they should be left alone in things like this.
Football is behaving absolutely hypocritic through all this. Suddenly Gazprom isn't deemed proper anymore to be the main sponsor of the CL, as if they weren't a problematic company long before this invasion, everybody knew that except UEFA and FIFA.

What football needs is a decent fit and propper test for owners, don't understand how the Saoudi owners of Newcastle, the Abu Dhabi owners of City, the Quatari PSG owners, the Glazers and Abramovich passed the test.

If i'm not mistaken then Joe Lewis, Spurs' owner has be evading taxes too...that is against the law too...

Completely agree with Mido too.

Chelsea are being preserved by being allowed to continue competing. I think the grotesque expenditure being frozen is fair but, yes, it is very hypocritical. Especially given how readily the UK government has accepted equally dirty money.

It's only worthwhile if it blows the whole thing wide open to protect clubs. That very much includes Newcastle, Man City, etc.

Unless American owners have direct links to the US government or individuals responsible for the invasion of Iraq I don't see Mido's point as relevant whatsoever. By his logic, only individuals and groups from countries with absolutely zero wrongs in their history could own football clubs. Not sure such a nation exists!

I don't agree with the sanctions that are taken against Chelsea. Regardless who the owner is, imo football clubs are national (and even more local) heritage and they should be left alone in things like this.
If clubs "should be left alone in things like (sanctions)" then bored billionaires who make their money through fraud and worse shouldn't be allowed to own the clubs. For as long as that's allowed, this stuff has to be allowed too.

Knowing where that money is coming from, how it's been accumulated and who it's related to, as well as how Chelsea was bought (including a kidnapping), how can the people involved be allowed to run a football club?

Yes, we knew it before, and UEFA/FIFA only cares now, and only for political reasons. That doesn't make it any less correct. The ownership of Newcastle is an even worse case (not least the murder of Khashoggi), and nothing will be done about that (especially as Europe looks to the Saudis for oil) - but how can you say "well they're allowed to own a club, so anyone should". Rather than, "banning one's a start".

Given that the fans were chanting his name during a minute's applause for Ukraine, I have no respect left for them either. Whatever your opinion on him and/or his ownership, to do that, you are displaying your complete lack of care for the lives are being taken daily without remorse and without reason. Seeing as Chelsea fans have been involved in some appalling racist incidents over the years, I'm just not surprised.

Completely agree with Mido too.
I see his point, but it seems like everyone's stock response to the sanctions (and to what's happening at Chelsea) is "what about America". @Flipper the Priest said it better than I but, does that mean every country should be allowed to kill whoever it wants and there should never be a reaction to that, then? Just because someone else did it and got away with it? If so, I'm going to become a burglar for a little while, but I don't think that excuse will stand up in court.

Chris, i think you misunderstood my post.
I still think the present Chelsea should not be boycotted like it is.
My point was that people like Abramovich should never have been club owners in the first place, the same goes for the others i mentioned in my post.
But the CLUB Chelsea (and you can substitute that with any club that isn't founded by a crook or crooks) is beyond doubt for me.

As for the bad behavior of the fans, you are wrong there. It's bad behavior by SOME fans. I'm sure there is scum among the fans of any club. There are Spurs fans i'm ashamed about too. As a matter of fact some people who are now crying loudest that Chelsea should punished would be the first to welcome an oligarch owner (i don't want the Amazon owner as Spurs owner, he was mentioned not that long ago).

The fit and proper person test has always been a complete and utter joke as I can attest to first hand with my team, Portsmouth. Firstly we had Gaydamak, who it was always said was using his father's money to buy the club, his father was convicted of arms dealing! Then Sulaiman Al-Faihm who was sentenced to five years in prison for stealing the money from his wife to buy the club! Followed by a Russian Vladimir Antonov who, well it's easier to read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Aleksandrovich_Antonov.

So yeah, fit and proper person test is a joke.

The screening must be a joke ,i get that Roman could buy Chelsea 20 years ago ,I'm not to comfy with City being bought up ,and I'm baffled how Newcastle could have been sold to the Saudis.

PL and The FA must takes some fucking responsibility going Fw.
Now that the shit has hit the fan it's time for it.
To me it's all sports washing ,can't really understand that this is allowed.
Yet the public gets an outrage when zouma kicks his cat about ,demanding this and that ,while supporting/tolerating Saudi/russian/Abu Dhabi/Qatar owners (and their dirty money)
People are idiot's!
Period!

Now that the shit has hit the fan it's time for it.
The problem is, it hasn't. It has in one case, because they've been forced into it. But nobody else will lose ownership of their club, because it would require a sanction. There's too much money and too much legal red tape to be able to throw anybody else out now.

Will they stop dodgy new owners coming to the EPL? I highly doubt it. Nothing has changed, only one case. You watch the next owner of Chelsea be a Chinese billionaire who goes to a yacht club with Xi Jinping.

Back
Top Bottom