The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

This will be at the desire of about 1% of the teams who compete in the FA Cup. The ones who'd sooner travel to Dubai for a friendly than Halifax for a domestic cup game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67160330
Great for upper league teams for more resting periods but it’s probably going to be quite financially damaging to lower league teams. Any extra money can be a lifeline for low league teams. Not sure how I feel about it

Agreed. Not spoken about enough.

His Le Tournoi free kick is oversold, I think because of the optics of it. Brazil vs France, and Barthez sells it brilliantly. I mean it was magnificent but not particularly unique. That Tenerife goal is more spectacular in my opinion.
God yes, great freekick, but that one is insane, no fucking angle at all

Great for upper league teams for more resting periods but it’s probably going to be quite financially damaging to lower league teams. Any extra money can be a lifeline for low league teams. Not sure how I feel about it

Given how much the bigger/richer teams get in their favour already I think the odd cup replay isn't too much to ask.

Ok, great goals, but goals that are so rare that youve only seen them once or twice.
We have all seen the bicycle kick (well Zlatans vs England the exception) or the 30 m banger, or the freekick (Carlos exception) from far out.
Which is your amazing and rare goal?
This is mine.
Grafite Wolfsburg
ps look at the humilation in the Bayerns back four after it went in, and bonus. Höness and Klinsmann on the bench
Nice pick strongo!

I got to give it to Joe Cole v Sweden in 2006 World Cup Germany, aah the level of satisfaction when the control of the ball with the chest, keeping composure, the execution of the shot and hitting the top corner are all combined.

Or this spectacular long range effort by Martin Jiránek during his spell with Terek Grozny.

But if I was to shoutout a rare goal, then I'd choose the Puskas Award winning rabona goal of Erik Lamela in the North London derby in 2021. We rarely see players having the courage to attempt rabonas.

Or, if I have to give more honourable mentions I'd give it to any long range or freekick by Alain Traoré!

Last edited:
Nice pick strongo!

I got to give it to Joe Cole v Sweden in 2006 World Cup Germany, aah the level of satisfaction when the control of the ball with the chest, keeping composure, the execution of the shot and hitting the top corner are all combined.

Or this spectacular long range effort by Martin Jiránek during his spell with Terek Grozny.

But if I was to shoutout a rare goal, then I'd choose the Puskas Award winning rabona goal of Erik Lamela in the North London derby in 2021. We rarely see players having the courage to attempt rabonas.

Or, if I have to give more honourable mentions I'd give it to any long range or freekick by Alain Traoré!
some crackers there, if id pick one,Eric Lamela, though the others were great his goal is the one for me

Guardiola complaining about Man City playing too many games..

Really? Take a look at this. :LOL:

Millos is the fifth team that has played the most matches in the world in 2023! The list was released this week, here it is!
  1. Flamengo: 69 matches
  2. Fortaleza: 68 matches
  3. Corinthians: 66 matches
  4. Palmeiras and São Paulo: 65 matches
  5. Millonarios FC, Atlético Nacional, Fluminense and Botafogo: 62 matches.

League 1st Phase Matches: 39
League Playoff Matches: 8
Copa Colombia Matches: 6
Libertadores Matches: 4
Sudamericana Matches: 6

Oh, nevermind. Make that 63 (plus at least 2 more Copa Colombia matches coming up, a league game, and at least 6 more league playoff games, we might reach 70+ matches this year). And that's not counting 4 friendlies we've played!

Meanwhile, Man City is at 53.

Last edited:
I always roll my eyes a little bit when managers complain that their players are playing too many games. As @millossobek shows, they should be happy they aren't coaching in South America!

Footballers now are only playing slightly more competitive matches than before, mainly because of the addition of the Nations League — which has replaced international friendlies (you could argue that they have the same effect, given that many national team managers routinely play the same core of players, competition or not), for the most part. Those FIFA international windows remain the same as they were, competition or not, so their players are going away for 10 days in Sept/Oct/Nov/March. You can argue whether or not it's necessary, but it's not necessarily more than before.

Plus, only the very top players are playing more than 45 matches a year. The average bottom-half player in the Premier League is playing less than 45 games, including cup competitions, on a weekly basis and nothing during international breaks.

Managers and clubs have a say here — they are generally poor at keeping their squad fresh and giving players that need rest a break, because...results. Clubs are also pretty poor at building squads (Football Manager AI isn't that far off when you look at how Manchester United and Chelsea do business). They also don't need to take weeks-long summer tours of America, Australia and Asia, which aren't conducive at all to season preparation.

And the clubs could probably reject money-grabbing moves like Champions League expansion and the Club World Cup. And anytime they suggest something like ditching a League Cup, it's met with outrage from the lower-division clubs that rely on that gate money...

Wonder how much longer Ten Hag's tenure will last..
I got no idea. He’s tried everything except change formation, which I’ve been saying he should do that in the Utd thread and today Gary Neville suggested it on commentary whatever that’s worth.
He’s got to go with two up front now surely. Rashford left striker and Hojlund right striker.
A lot depends on whether or not a club takeover or partial takeover occurs on whether he keeps his job i think. I Can’t see them firing Ten Hag until the season ends because I mean who are we going to replace him with and what top manager wants to inherit these problems?
It’s an epically terrible start to the season but it’s very early in the season.

Speaking of favorite goals,, this is the opening goal that gave Peru their first World Cup in 36 years (WC2018), in the playoff 2nd leg against New Zealand!
Jefferson Farfán!!!! :RSCARF: The Peruvian commentators were in tears!! I remember celebrating this goal as if it were Millonarios. :)

Last edited:
For me the absolute cracker is Fredy Guarín. Not only he did it a lot of times, even in Inter and Shanghai Shenhua in Chinese Super League.

The most notable mention here, is the difficulty, given that he starts standing still almost, with zero momentum and a little knock on.

Last edited:
I love that goal by Guarín! Am amazing strike! I think the best part of the goal (aside from the skill required and degree of difficulty) is Freddy's reaction!! It's like he can't believe what he just accomplished!! :)

Man, what a classy player. One of my early 2010's favorites.

His play for Loko was great! Big contribution to the championship, absolute magic.
Incredible moment in Khabarovsk at minus 15 degrees on an synthetic turf.
Says they aren’t available in my country and when I click them nothing happens. Hate it when YouTubers put restrictions on videos. I mean what’s the point?! Lol
Also, my curiosity compels me to ask if you are the guy that used to make the psp option files for PES?

Back
Top Bottom