The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

@rockstrongo
Oh we certainly were and it was extremely sweet to get a last minute winner in time added on for Wycombe's time wasting! The place went mental haha

I'm starting to believe. I should know better by now though...

Nice win Matt.
yeah i know the feeling, once it starts to look good it always hits the fan one way or the other;)

Yeah about five years ago we were top at the end of the year and we looked at it and thought we only need about 10 more wins out of the last 20 or so games to get promoted. I think we won 5 or 6!

Yeah about five years ago we were top at the end of the year and we looked at it and thought we only need about 10 more wins out of the last 20 or so games to get promoted. I think we won 5 or 6!
The joy of supporting a team that never wins is fantastic.
Imagine being a Bayern Munchen fan, all of a sudden after 10 staright league titles you don win the 11th...
Bet they have a breakdown for sure

An update from the other side of the globe! :TU: Libertadores and Sudamericana finals are set!

Copa Libertadores Final - Boca Juniors (ARG) vs Fluminense (BRA), Estadio Maracaná, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! November 4

Copa Sudamericana Final - Fortaleza (BRA) vs LDU Quito (ECU), Estadio Domingo Burgueño, Montevideo, Uruguay! October 28

1696623405188.png

Last edited:
View attachment 239684

Source: link

What do you guys think of this?

I think Morocco-Portugal-Spain makes sense, but having the opening matches in Uruguay and Argentina is strange to say the least.. :THINK:

@The Moroccan

It's classic self-serving FIFA. Play to galleries to win votes and - as @shumway said - gift the 2034 tournament to Saudi Arabia to bow at their feet.

Every World Cup should be hosted in a well-connected country, one that is stable enough economically to sustain or build the required infrastructure. Co-hosting between neighbouring countries fine if the above applies to both.

I noticed the totally organically-worded charm offensive has already started on social media with the players that went to Saudi Arabia in the summer...

Ok, great goals, but goals that are so rare that youve only seen them once or twice.
We have all seen the bicycle kick (well Zlatans vs England the exception) or the 30 m banger, or the freekick (Carlos exception) from far out.
Which is your amazing and rare goal?
This is mine.
Grafite Wolfsburg
ps look at the humilation in the Bayerns back four after it went in, and bonus. Höness and Klinsmann on the bench

What a goal by Grafite bro!!!! :TU:
Won't spoil the actual play by narrating it, but it is definitely a wonderful score!

Here's one of my favorite goals, by none other than the magician himself, Dennis Bergkamp! One of the most beautiful plays I've ever seen! :RSCARF:

Thats also one of my favourite goals of all time, absolutely insane.
I tried to replicate it with my fw playing FIFA 19 player career, managed the dribble once then missed the goal:)
Great contribution Millos

This goal is often overlooked in my opinion:

Outrageous technique. It barely makes sense.

I'll have a million more. This is the second one that came to mind. The first was a volley some guy scored for Cardiff (I think) in the 60s (I think) that I can't trace.

Edit: found it. What a strike and the celebration makes it even better. Sheer joy and disbelief.

Last edited:

I'll have a million more. This is the second one that came to mind. The first was a volley some guy scored for Cardiff (I think) in the 60s (I think) that I can't trace.

Edit: found it. What a strike and the celebration makes it even better. Sheer joy and disbelief.

Jesus what a strike

The first one is a proper strike, but weve seen a few of those before and after imo, but that Cardiff goal is insane, the height the angle etc.
And with that old ball, probably heavy as hell

Last edited:
@rockstrongo I remember the first goal it was a top draw goal but the second one from the 70s (which I wasn’t alive then lol) is one of the best goals I’ve seen now so thanks for sharing it!

Yeah Cantona is a legend at OT. He gets voted as the favourite ever player all the time. It’s a shame Ten Hag has forever damaged the number 7 legacy at OT.

Best 7
Cantona 7
Beckham 7
Ronaldo 7
Mount!?!?!?

Surely not the most beautiful goal (tbh more a crappy one) but probably the most emotional goal for me.
My club Fortuna Düsseldorf played the 1st round of the german cup in the season 2009/10 against Hamburg, who back then stll were a big Bundesliga club with players like Ze Roberto, Jerome Boateng, Paolo Guerrero. We were just promoted to the 2nd Bundesliga after suffering years in the 3rd and even 4th league.

The stadium was sold out and there was a really special tension of excitement and “we're back” feelings. After 4 or 5 minutes HSV scored and I thought all will go it's normal way now. But after 15 minutes we were 2:1 up. The game ended 2:2 after 90 minutes. In the overtime HSV got a penalty to lead 3:2. In the very last moments of the game Andreas Lambertz, a Düsseldorf legend who played there since the youth teams and was the only player scoring goals in all 4 german top leagues for the same team, scored this one and the stadium literally exploded. My girlfriend (now wife) even covered her ears...
We lost in the penalties but that didn't really matter.

Last edited:
@rockstrongo I remember the first goal it was a top draw goal but the second one from the 70s (which I wasn’t alive then lol) is one of the best goals I’ve seen now so thanks for sharing it!

Yeah Cantona is a legend at OT. He gets voted as the favourite ever player all the time. It’s a shame Ten Hag has forever damaged the number 7 legacy at OT.

Best 7
Cantona 7
Beckham 7
Ronaldo 7
Mount!?!?!?
ha ha, yes Mount isnt EC/DB/CR7 exactly:)

Surely not the most beautiful goal (tbh more a crappy one) but probably the most emotional goal for me.
My club Fortuna Düsseldorf played the 1st round of the german cup in the season 2009/10 against Hamburg, who back then stll were a big Bundesliga club with players like Ze Roberto, Jerome Boateng, Paolo Guerrero. We were just promoted to the 2nd Bundesliga after suffering years in the 3rd and even 4th league.

The stadium was sold out and there was a really special tension of excitement and “we're back” feelings. After 4 or 5 minutes HSV scored and I thought all will go it's normal way now. But after 15 minutes we were 2:1 up. The game ended 2:2 after 90 minutes. In the overtime HSV got a penalty to lead 3:2. In the very last moments of the game Andreas Lambertz, a Düsseldorf legend who played there since the youth teams and was the only player scoring goals in all 4 german top leagues scored this one and the stadium literally exploded. My girlfriend (now wife) even overed her ears...
We lost in the penaltys but that didn't really matter.

Obviously goals like that are rare, since they are emotional as hell and has a meaning for sure
love the stadium as well

The first one is a proper strike, but weve seen a few of those before and after imo, but that Cardiff goal is insane, the height the angle etc.
And with that old ball, probably heavy as hell

That's the thing; I can't recall seeing any more strikes like Ramsey's. The way he cuts down on the ball just before the bounce, the body shape. Half volleys from that distance aren't uncommon, but I think that one is unusual.

The Peter King one is unbelievable. I assume the ball would be like hitting a brick. Brilliant that it was captured on camera too because back in 1970 only a select few goals would've been!

Another one that came to mind:

Will see plenty try this, but the speed of the ball and the trajectory - you'd do well to find another like it that goes in!

That's the thing; I can't recall seeing any more strikes like Ramsey's. The way he cuts down on the ball just before the bounce, the body shape. Half volleys from that distance aren't uncommon, but I think that one is unusual.

The Peter King one is unbelievable. I assume the ball would be like hitting a brick. Brilliant that it was captured on camera too because back in 1970 only a select few goals would've been!

Another one that came to mind:

Will see plenty try this, but the speed of the ball and the trajectory - you'd do well to find another like it that goes in!
Might have been a bit rough on the Ramsey goal, but it feels its been done before/after, maybe your right there flip.
Peter King is a masterpiece, hitting that from a ball coming down from 10-15 meters is insane.
That Colo Colo goal is a proper hit, jesus.

We often talk about Roberto Carlos, but rarely this goal for some reason.
1 the angle
2 going for it there?

Agreed. Not spoken about enough.

His Le Tournoi free kick is oversold, I think because of the optics of it. Brazil vs France, and Barthez sells it brilliantly. I mean it was magnificent but not particularly unique. That Tenerife goal is more spectacular in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom