The TV Show Thread

I never really understood the hype around Cobra Kai. I watched few episodes and they were just... cheesy.

Recently there's been a bit of a desert when it comes to new TV series worth a watch.

Dopesick be only one that comes to mind. That was very good.

I never really understood the hype around Cobra Kai. I watched few episodes and they were just... cheesy.

Recently there's been a bit of a desert when it comes to new TV series worth a watch.

Dopesick be only one that comes to mind. That was very good.

Not new but if you're stuck for something Patriot on Amazon is well worth a watch. Two series (then cancelled - thanks Amazon!) A very funny black comedy drama and I really liked the way they told the story too as something would happen in an episode and then in the next episode you'd see how someone else who had been in that same scene happened to be there at that moment, telling a part of their story.

Some great written for the show songs in it too as the main protagonist is also a part time folk singer as well as a black ops CIA assassin and as he starts to mentally come undone he starts writing songs with lyrics about what he's been doing in his mission which is very funny. Some really great characters in the rest of the cast too.

Watched some golden age HBO I missed at the times in the last year and half something. Am in the mood to do a brief review for each show.

Entourage: the lighter one of the bunch. It's a comedy about a young, emergent actor in Hollywood, his a bit of a loser brother, his two best friends and his agent (his "entourage", indeed). Many called it the "Sex and the city" for males and (for the little SATC I watched lol) it's probably accurate enough. Some characters are truly hilarious and every episode is just 20-25 minutes iirc. There probably are better comedies around but it's still a nice, light one to unplug.

The Wire: the fame of this show should talk for itself. The story mainly follows a group of cops and a group of dealers in the war for drug in Baltimore. In every season the show deconstruct a piece of the "system" (may be police, media, justice, politics etc.) and the whole of it contributes to create a magnificent canvas that digs deep in the real life misery of that world. A true masterpiece.

Big Love: the unforgivable BIll Paxton (rip) in the secret life of a mormon man with three wives (of which just a single "public" one) and many children. All the show mainly articulates between their struggles to have their lifestyle recognized in public and the conflict with the rest of the (deranged) family. Nice to see, other than Bill, another Alienverse-familiar face (Harry Dean Stanton). I wouldn't put this show as high as others, but all in all it's still an entertaining watch.

OZ: talks about the life in the Oswald (OZ) penitentiary, investigating the human nature while narrating all the disadventures of both inmates and guardians. Plenty of great, unforgivable characters and storylines; unfortunately, the last season and half it's simply not on par with the rest and the ending doesn't do justice to what they builded before. Pity. It's one of the few occasions in which I think a reboot, or a sequel of some sort would be nice to have.

Deadwood: western drama based on the homonym, really existed town, it also features many historical characters as well (like Calamity Jane, "Wild" Bill Hickok and many others). Another great show with probably the best bad guy I've watched on the small screen since Tony Soprano (a truly great Ian McShane), but unfortunately they cancelled it quite early and abruptly; it only lasts 3 seasons, but they did an ending movie which is quite good. IT's more or less on a realistic vein so the pace of it all is a bit slower than one might expect from such a genre; I appreciated it, but somebody else might be put a bit off I guess.

Having closed the "golden age" topic, as of now I'm watching a more recent Succession, which is still HBO; a drama about a misanthropic, decrepit tycoon of media communications and his dysfunctional family. Two episodes at the end of the first season and to say I'm pretty hooked it's still not enough. I rarely saw a tv show which isn't about action with such a wonderful, compelling rhythm. Absolutely recommended.

Re watching Sopranos (again)
But for me this year Line of duty and Unforgotten have been the best shows so far ,really up there with the big ones (The Wire/Sopranos)
Would recommend True Detective (season 1+3) brilliant.
And Mindhunter
And 8 episodes in on season 5 of Gomorrah.

Looking fw to the mini series "The landscapers" seems very very weird and wonderful with the brilliant Olivia Coleman

Yes, I am one episode to the end of the firt season (the one where he scares the ginger kid with the hammer). I really love that kind of humour.
He's brilliant ,haven't seen season 1-2 in a long time ,waiting for season 3 to binge it all again.
So many weird character's.
Can't remember if the stand up with creepy Brian is in S1 or s2.
But you have something to look fw too:)
Screenshot_2021-12-18-22-37-10-383_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

He's brilliant ,haven't seen season 1-2 in a long time ,waiting for season 3 to binge it all again.
So many weird character's.
Can't remember if the stand up with creepy Brian is in S1 or s2.
But you have something to look fw too:)
View attachment 136528

They just had a go at his house. Quite disgusting. Even more disgusting is the wooman cooking for her neighbours in the same episode.

They just had a go at his house. Quite disgusting. Even more disgusting is the wooman cooking for her neighbours in the same episode.
Ha ha ha yes.
If you haven't seen it ,I'd recommend "Derek" (also Gervais) my favourite series by him.
And that guy playing Brian is there too ,even more creepy (Netflix)

The producers/screen writers for The Witcher should be locked up.
Two extremely boring seasons ,maybe 2-3 episodes good enough ,the rest is awful.
Guess sticking to the books aren't their thing

The producers/screen writers for The Witcher should be locked up.
Two extremely boring seasons ,maybe 2-3 episodes good enough ,the rest is awful.
Guess sticking to the books aren't their thing
I love it. Every bit of it.
The only thing that annoys me is that Gerard has no beard (coz he should be a bit more savage looking) and the fact that he has one sword, while in the game he had two.
I know - I read that he did have only one in the books, but fuck the books! :LOL:

I finally watched The Pacific.
Last time I gave up on episode 3 that reminded me my most hated war movie of all time - Pearl Harbour. Shitty love stories everywhere.
This time I watched till the end.
And while it did pick up later on - its nowhere near Band of Brothers.
They ruined it with boring, meaningless love stories. Also - in Band of Brothers they were all together. We could witness their bond and feel their losses.
Here we have couple of different stories that dont really mix well together.
Maybe 3 great episodes - rest was shite.
But I suppose it was worth it for 3 hours of good "war movie".

Witcher ,Geralt really good ,all the other stories ,elves/Magic chics feels like Emmerdale to me,lasted 6 episodes of season 2.
Know there's a prequel on its way too ,probably be Coronation street rip off:(
Only my take on it ,not pisding on yours

Last edited:
Just started the other day with Witcher, loved the 1st episode.

Never had any knowledge of games until I played Witch Hunt which is one of my fav games of all time. Cavill looked a good Geralt from the opening episode.

Also watched all the recent marvel mini series, really enjoyed them, been excellent.

See someone above mentioned Deadwood, classic, Sopranos just pipped it for me as it had longevity but Al Swearengen outdoes Tony Soprano for me, my fav ever TV character.

Good shouts on True Detective, liked the first 2, the 3rd was ok. Also Fargo, wow, another brilliant tv series.

FD

Anyone else into "Alone"? Currently watching the Danish version "Alene i wildmarken" with self translated sub titles, filmed in Norway with a bunch of Danes trying to survive :)

Anyone else into "Alone"? Currently watching the Danish version "Alene i wildmarken" with self translated sub titles, filmed in Norway with a bunch of Danes trying to survive :)
Since they're Danes it's probably a very short season isn't it?

I started to watch Alone a few years back ,and it's brilliant ,just wonder how long one could last?

Nice to see I'm not the only Alone fans! We've watched every one so far of the US/Canadian, plus S1 of Sweden and S1 of Denmark (currently watching S2 of Denmark).

Yeah, brilliant show. Love how mental struggle is often what breaks them, not physical survival.
There's a Swedish one filmed in Norway and the first and second seasons of the Danish one are also filmed in Norway (different location for the Danish one).

Since they're Danes it's probably a very short season isn't it?

I started to watch Alone a few years back ,and it's brilliant ,just wonder how long one could last?

LOL I can't spoil it, but I will say the Danes are the most depressive bunch I've seen on the show!

Regular Canadian/US one is currently filming in a new location! In case you want it to be a surprise:

From 3 months ago on Reddit :)

"Alone Season 9 is being filmed on Inuit land in Nunatsiavut, Labrador in eastern Canada in the Big River area near the community of Makkovik. There are tons of black bears in the area and even polar bear, even though they are mostly found along the outer coast and coastal islands. I do not know how far inland along the river the drop of locations are."

Last edited:
Something completely different and for those here with kids.

"Hilda", based on graphic novels is a real pearl next to all these Paw Patrols, mermaid crap and what else nowadays childrens shows have to offer.
It's about a little girl living with her mum in a house in the wilderness (moving to the city later on), where fantastic creatures like trolls, giants or elves are living next to them.
It's an adventure series that transports tolerance and friendship, but besides that it's really funny, weird, heartwarming and even for adults really nice to watch.

Slow Horses on A+ (Gary Oldman is insanely good)

Tokyo Vice HBO. amazing crime show set in Tokyo in the 90s.
True story as well.

Barry on HBO ,so weird and wonderful.
Don't miss it ,you'll thank me later.

"Severance" is pretty amazing. Too bad its not a limited series.
"From" looked like an another amazing vampire story but it just feels like "Lost" from what i heard whats that about.

Obi-Wan Kenobi isn't bad. Not really a spoiler but find it a bit odd that Anakin lives on a planet with flowing lava everywhere. One might think he wouldn't be the biggest fan of that environment.

Damn Patrice Oneal is something else.

"From". 3 episodes in. Very creepy, Stephen Kings smell to it. Me likey.
After "Midnight Mass" its a meh and something that will have 7747 seasons.
I would highly recommend that if you havent seen it, its a limited series on top and the directors are huge fans of SK.

would highly recommend that if you havent seen it, its a limited series on top and the directors are huge fans of SK
Did see it and did like it, but out of them three projects (same crowd I think did 3 mini series) - Haunting of a Hill House was by far the best. Other two were just ok for me.

Did see it and did like it, but out of them three projects (same crowd I think did 3 mini series) - Haunting of a Hill House was by far the best. Other two were just ok for me.

I cant deal with ghosts unfortunately, they are boring for me. :/
They made also a SK short novel into a movie, Gerald's Game is one of the best horror movie adaptations imo. Hard do beat Kubrick's Shining and Darabont's Mist but i dont think its a shame being a 3rd behind such directors.

And by the way...:JAY:

They made also a SK short novel into a movie, Gerald's Game is one of the best horror movie adaptations imo.
I wouldnt go that far. As much as "IT" can be a matter of taste (personally I think both new ones were great) - you cant really put Gerald's Game above Misery.
That one is an absolute classic and still holds. But Geralds Game was decent. To be honest - didnt even know it was based on SK novel.
Havent seen 2019 Doctor Sleep. That has fairly good reviews.
Also - cant believe how they butchered Dark Tower and The Stand. Last one was by far my favourite SK book and the series had no atmosphere whatsoever. Felt flat and soulless.

I wouldnt go that far. As much as "IT" can be a matter of taste (personally I think both new ones were great) - you cant really put Gerald's Game above Misery.
That one is an absolute classic and still holds. But Geralds Game was decent. To be honest - didnt even know it was based on SK novel.
Havent seen 2019 Doctor Sleep. That has fairly good reviews.
Also - cant believe how they butchered Dark Tower and The Stand. Last one was by far my favourite SK book and the series had no atmosphere whatsoever. Felt flat and soulless.
Forgot about Misery, true.
Doctor Sleep is pretty decent, got a lot of hate but i think it is well above any mainstream horror out there. And anything including Rebeca Ferguson is a hit. :LOVE: What i loved in it that the creatures acted more like i imagined the clown would act in the new IT movies but it was just a generic jumpscare monster, which is a shame because all the coming of age thing and the kids were amazing.

I did not even know there was new Stand series! Oh well. But to be fair i like the old made for TV movies too, kinda guilty pleasures. I even like Dreamcatcher.

What i hated in 'From' that besides 2-3 episodes the creatures arent even a threat, they arent even a topic, makes sense as the folks live with them since forever but still i thought there would be more to them. I loved the sheriff's acting and the crazy girl's, they are outstanding.

I have recently watched a movie with Bill Paxton that i have never seen and it is very SK esque...actually Lance Henriksen recommended it on twitter :LMAO:
It was very disturbing (not gore or anything) and confusing to me and...but i can see the end could be a hit or miss for someone. I liked it personally.

EDIT: shieeet, Doctor Sleep is also directed by Mike Flanagan like Gerald's Game, The Haunting of Hill House, Midnight Mass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom