The TV Show Thread

I did not even know there was new Stand series
Its worth the watch nonetheless, coz it is, somewhat, following the book quite well. Some scenes were reminding me the book pages even tho I read it 20 years ago. But throughout the series I felt like it could not build up the atmosphere around it and felt rushed.
And for someone that havent read the book (the wife) - it was just confusing and not interesting.
I guess my expectations were just way too high looking at the cast and finally seeing new take on favourite book..

Need to watch 'Frailty'. I really like Henriksen.

Ps. Out of curiosity, random one - what did you think about "The Thing" prequel from 2011(?). I loved it. Thought it was made with a lot of love to the original.

Edit: im thinking now - if you dont like ghost stories - have you even tried Haunting of a Hill House? Coz if you havent - give it a go. It really isnt a typical ghost story and the acting is absolutely unbelievable.

As for 'From' - the thing I like about it (which also applies to Midnight Mass) is that creatures remind me a bit of '30 days of night'. That movie ruined horror movies for me. The way the creatures were portraited in it was something else. I havent seen anything like it since.
But both Midnight Mass and From creatures have something eerie and ancient about them, which I love to see.

Last edited:
Ps. Out of curiosity, random one - what did you think about "The Thing" prequel from 2011(?). I loved it. Thought it was made with a lot of love to the original.

I think it was great a horror, agree. I think people did not like it as its more or less the same movie...which i dont mind as the same thing happened on that station probably. My only minor issue is they removed a lot of props and replaced with cg :(

As for 'From' - the thing I like about it (which also applies to Midnight Mass) is that creatures remind me a bit of '30 days of night'. That movie ruined horror movies for me. The way the creatures were portraited in it was something else. I havent seen anything like it since.
But both Midnight Mass and From creatures have something eerie and ancient about them, which I love to see.

I love that movie. Was a breath of fresh air. I only saw it a bit later but was very refreshing seeing an actual vampire movie after the Twilight movies.
And the setting was very original.

Is it just me ...
joseph-quinn-as-eddie-munson-stranger-things-season-4-1653998656.jpg

but he looks like the love child of these two?
80b969d0255b87aa60e7d695b1806222.jpg

944a96756ad65a66c41f49099be7b8e2.jpg

Finally finished Stranger Things 4 last night. I was taken back a bit at the beginning by how they had ramped up the horror, it had felt to me that before it was more like a teenage level creepy show. It still has a TV-14 rating so I guess the kids are just used to a lot more messed up stuff these days.
I think this time, despite it being a lot more "epic" in scale, it has started treading on familiar ground a bit too heavily. the season is extremely competent but I did feel at around the middle part, that I could have written a couple of episodes myself that would have fit right in. It was just not that hard to guess what would happen next. There is a hilarious bit where the audience is shown something that is supposed to be a crazy reveal but 99.99% of people who have ever seen a TV show before will have figured it out.
The characters are absolutely carrying this (stranger) thing right now, and mostly the side characters as well. Maya Hawke will become a massive star or there is no justice in the world. Millie Bobby Brown is pretty much already there. Joe Keery might have a tougher time breaking out of the mold but he has his music too (let's be real, he will do fine). Honestly most of these kids will probably do very well after Stranger Things, which is thankfully ending with the next season because they can't really go on any further without dragging it out for too long. Also Noah Schnapp (Will Buyers) can finally get a decent haircut because that mop he has to wear is hideous :LMAO:

Killing Eve is the first series I have watched in a while where I had a tough time not going straight to the next episode. The last season is not out on Disney, and it does seem to have taken a bit of a dive in ratings so might just sit that one out. First three seasons are excellent though.

Last but certainly not least and actually probably the best: Andor. In the middle of Disney making about 12 redundant Star Wars things, this absolute gem just pops out. Cassian Andor from Rogue One is back in a prequel which is absurdly good. You can even have someone who gives no f*cks about Star Wars watch it and they would likely be into it. It might still take the first 3 episodes to get there but after that you will absolutely be wanting more.

Last edited:
Last but certainly not least and actually probably the best: Andor. In the middle of Disney making about 12 redundant Star Wars things, this absolute gem just pops out. Cassian Andor from Rogue One is back in a prequel which is absurdly good. You can even have someone who gives no f*cks about Star Wars watch it and they would likely be into it.
Ooh.. interesting..
You might count me in the no fucks given about SW universe, but I did enjoy few more grounded movies - Roque One included. Mandalorian wasnt too bad either, but at the end of the series I found myself wondering - what was the point of this series? It literally led to nowhere..
So yeah - might check this one out.

I started Peripheral - 3 episodes in and not sure yet what to think, but its not bad. Keeps me interested. Kinda like Westworld without too much of unnecessary complications just for the sake of it.
Speaking of Westworld - gave up after few episodes of new season. It has gone to shit.

From the recent ones I watched, worth recommending - "1883" is one of the best wild west series I watched, on pair with Deadwood.

Edit: 1883 not 1983.. apologies

Last edited:
Killing Eve is the first series I have watched in a while where I had a tough time not going straight to the next episode. The last season is not out on Disney, and it does seem to have taken a bit of a dive in ratings so might just sit that one out. First three seasons are excellent though.
brilliant series.
havent seem past the first three seasons since theres a millions other things needed to be done the past moths for me, might catch up on it again.

The Last Of Us tv series, ep 1. Meh.
And the 80’s music cancer got the Last Of Us too. Why? Because Stranger Things sold. Almost completely disregard the master piece Gustavo Santaolalla has created. Smart move..

Last edited:
And the 80’s music cancer got the Last Of Us too. Why? Because Stranger Things sold. Almost completely disregard the master piece Gustavo Santaolalla has created. Smart move..
Are you talking about the 80's music that plays for literally less than ten seconds of the show, leading into the end credits? How in God's name are you criticising less than ten seconds of a 1 hour 20 minute show (and something that forms a plot point)?

Gustavo Santaolalla's original soundtrack can be heard throughout the episode, in multiple scenes. My God man, eFootball has given you depression or something!

I thought it was fantastic. I'm amazed just how much of the game they've recreated word-for-word and beat-for-beat, even down to the game's camera angles on occasion (like in the car scenes).

If I had any criticism, it would be:

When the horrible scene from the game's introduction plays out and Joel's daughter is shot, I'm an emotional wreck every time when playing the game - but here I wasn't. I don't think they've quite made it as "real" as it feels in the game, it's not as close-and-personal and if I'm brutally honest I don't think it's as well-acted.

I'm not quite feeling Pedro Pascal yet - I'm not seeing Joel's character harden after what happens. He's less angry and bitter than the way he's acted in the game, but I'm sure I'll feel differently by the end of the series.

When the horrible scene from the game's introduction plays out and Joel's daughter is shot, I'm an emotional wreck every time when playing the game - but here I wasn't. I don't think they've quite made it as "real" as it feels in the game, it's not as close-and-personal and if I'm brutally honest I don't think it's as well-acted.

I'm not quite feeling Pedro Pascal yet - I'm not seeing Joel's character harden after what happens. He's less angry and bitter than the way he's acted in the game, but I'm sure I'll feel differently by the end of the series.

This is exactly how I felt about this as well.
The game got me when it happened but in the TV Show it didn't so much, but felt this was also down to her being pretty dumb in the TV show and going into next doors house and looking around, when the dog clearly gave her a big warning.

Overall it was a very solid episode and I enjoyed it as it recreates the game very well.
My only gripe at the moment is Ellie seems badly cast but my opinion on this will probably change once more episodes are aired.

Last edited:

This has to win comment of the year for me.
A 1h 20min show with 5 seconds of 80's music being played and a mention of Take on Me, so Ellie could break the code.

Also 80's music would be very heavy in Stranger Things, it is set in the 80's.

This has to win comment of the year for me.
A 1h 20min show with 5 seconds of 80's music being played and a mention of Take on Me, so Ellie could break the code.

Also 80's music would be very heavy in Stranger Things, it is set in the 80's.

Almost EVERY tv show has it because of trend, nothing else. Its so obvious. Stranger Things made sense, this doesnt really. Why have the 80's theme? Because Joel is old? Then every movie which set in current times and has a cast over 40 years should have 80's retro music. Its just so lame. We will see if it goes on for the rest of the show, if not i can let this one pass. Also would be a disgrace to waste the original score, since its so unique.

Are you talking about the 80's music that plays for literally less than ten seconds of the show, leading into the end credits? How in God's name are you criticising less than ten seconds of a 1 hour 20 minute show (and something that forms a plot point)?

Gustavo Santaolalla's original soundtrack can be heard throughout the episode, in multiple scenes. My God man, eFootball has given you depression or something!

Not really, its completely missing during "the Sarah scene" for example, taking all its edge away. And the end credits every show has a huge impact, thats the last bit you are left with and it goes on for minutes. Not sure if you seen Midnight Mass, that where i realized how much impact the credit music has...and funnily enough its never a music in that tv show, it was an epic choice the director made there but he went on a route where you are never pulled out of the experience with some goofy song, no relief, nothing, you are there with the characters.

And under the credits the same goes on as in the last few seconds of the last scene, just her crying in pain in agony while the credits are rolling. Brilliant.

Rest of the show was okay i guess in terms of setting (apart from some cheap sets here and there and VERY clean post apocalyptic survivors), storytelling, actors (Joel and Marlene might be the best...Marlene acts and sounds like the voice actress but they are different) but its very hard to top the source material as well so for me it wont be there as the original for sure. My heart breaks because lamer source material like Resident Evil if it would got the same treatement as this, those movies have been epic....or any other adaptations. So ironic the strongest source material gets the best treatement but obviously it cant live up to it. Would be the same case for Metal Gear Solid.

I just hope Neil Druckman will fix season two and with that TLOU2 story to fit better the original, only fear i have is he rather will double down and makes the story of TLOU1 fit TLOU2. :LMAO:Anyway some fixing is needed, im more curious about that how he will synch the two stories as they dont make sense together at the moment.

Last edited:
I also wasn't feeling it. Not keen on the Joel character and Ellie looks likes she's got tights on her head and the smallest mouth in the world.

Its fucking deadly.
There were games, over the years, when I thought "I wish they made it into series, exactly like this, so my wife could watch and enjoy the story".. and this is first one ever that gets so close to the game.

I thought it was fantastic. I'm amazed just how much of the game they've recreated word-for-word and beat-for-beat, even down to the game's camera angles on occasion (like in the car scenes).

If I had any criticism, it would be:

Also just about Joel this popped up in my feed. The other guys are alright tbh but Troy Baker stole the audition. Issue is Pedro Pascal feels like this other guys for now. But we will see.

Amazing 2nd episode from TLOU tv show. This is what im talking about, across the board everything was spot on.
It made look like the first episode belongs to a completely different attempt of adaptation.

And jesus christ the set design/cgi i dont even recognise where one ends and the other begins.

No it didnt.
It keept the same quality level as the first one.
Yes it did. :LOVE:It was tense, immersive, characters were not out of place, the world was spot on, it got heart, acting was equal to the game, even the music was right at the end!

also the death of Tess had more weight than Sarah’s which is pretty much not how it suppose to be :LMAO:

Yes it did. :LOVE:It was tense, immersive, characters were not out of place, the world was spot on, it got heart, acting was equal to the game, even the music was right at the end
I just hope they will keep this atmospheric, steady pace. This is the show where they should focus on the remains of the old world. Show as much as they can of this overgrown, sad remnants of the past.
It was executed perfectly here.
Ellie should be like she was in the games - innocent child that asks the simplest questions about the "old world" and gets excited by a poster on the wall.
I was a bit afraid they will start rushing things after the first episode, but they keep going strong.
Also - loved the Jakarta flashbacks.

I just hope they will keep this atmospheric, steady pace. This is the show where they should focus on the remains of the old world. Show as much as they can of this overgrown, sad remnants of the past.
It was executed perfectly here.
Ellie should be like she was in the games - innocent child that asks the simplest questions about the "old world" and gets excited by a poster on the wall.
I was a bit afraid they will start rushing things after the first episode, but they keep going strong.
Also - loved the Jakarta flashbacks.
The Jakarta scene makes the intro of ep1 pretty useless, they told us the same thing basically but here better.

Also lot of quality screen time required for Joel and Ellie to bond and to build up to THOSE emotional heights they share. Rewatched those cutscenes and the bar is pretty high for both.

I disagree the point about Jakarta making the first episode pointless.

I thought they really complimented each other the 1st episode was a professor talking about a virus caused by fungus in the 60's warning people if this happened then there would be no cure and absolutely no hope for humanity.
The 2nd episode flashback bought about how the virus started in flour supplies, and the origins of the virus - Although this raises questions for me as why would the flour supply in Jakarta infect the flour supplies round the world? Isn't flour sourced locally with very few of being imported worldwide?

IMO they complimented each other and were perfect starts to the episodes, I for one really hope that they continue the beforehand before every episode as they are really expanding the part which was missing from the game.

So far it seems like they aren't going to fuck it up, as the pacing is perfect.

The only downside of it so far is I never felt Sarah's death, it really hit me in the game but didn't hit me at all in the TV show.
Even my Mrs who never played the game didn't think that much of it and she cries over all sad things - Including little things like Mary being sucked off in Ghosts.

This was posted on IGN:-

Joel, Sarah, and Tommy managed to narrowly avoid eating products containing flour.
For example, Sarah doesn't make Joel pancakes for breakfast on his birthday, the characters refuse an offer for biscuits from the neighbors, Sarah doesn't eat the cookies she bakes at the neighbor's house, and Joel forgets to buy himself a birthday cake after a long day at work.

Also have read that the reason they chose flour and the factory in Jakarta, is that it has the largest flour factory in the world, so this is why they went with this idea rather than in the game - Makes a lot more scientific sense.
The game just makes a brief mention that the virus started in crop fields in South America.

So far it seems like they aren't going to fuck it up, as the pacing is perfect.
Yeah, I agree. Was a bit afraid before the show aired, first episode was great, but I was still a bit weary about second.
Wasnt sure if they will be able to pace it right.
I wanted to see as much of the world as possible, as overgown post apocalyptic cities look amazing and its one of the strongest points of the game.
But they did a savage job with second episode.
By far best game adaptation I have ever seen. Hope it will trigger trend of proper adaptations, which are close to the source.

Yeah, I agree. Was a bit afraid before the show aired, first episode was great, but I was still a bit weary about second.
Wasnt sure if they will be able to pace it right.
I wanted to see as much of the world as possible, as overgown post apocalyptic cities look amazing and its one of the strongest points of the game.
But they did a savage job with second episode.
By far best game adaptation I have ever seen. Hope it will trigger trend of proper adaptations, which are close to the source.

The only thing, I would of complained about is they could of dragged out the whole intro in 2003 a bit more.
Like if the pilot was an hour, they could of killed Sarah right at the very end and built her character up a bit more.

But everything about it at the moment is excellent.

Would really love them to show more of what happened in 2003, as with Covid Pandemic just gone they really can show how modern governments deal with a pandemic and it be pretty much a reality as some countries like New Zealand would be pretty much virus free, where as Europe and US would be screwed beyond belief.

But you are 100% right that there could be some really good video game adaptations as long as they follow the source material.
Although I don't know any games I played which have a story anywhere near as good as the Last of Us - Only original Mafia comes to my mind and would make an excellent mini series.

Although I don't know any games I played which have a story anywhere near as good as the Last of Us
Oh I have few in mind
- Mass Effect Trilogy
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Ghost of Tsushima

God of War is in the making, so fingers crossed this will also be close to the source, coz they already managed to destroy Assassins Creed and Uncharted.

As for Sarah - personally I never really cared for her in the game either. They both struck me about the same way -
not-really.. so im glad they didnt waste too much time building up her character.

Well this was blody boring to me, never cared about this side character Bill, nor that much about his backstory, especially not in 55 minutes.
And again commercial music instead of the OST…bad, bad TLOU show!

miss-hit-miss-so next week it must cone back stronger with a hit

On the other hand i have serious doubts that Bella Ramsey or Pedro Pascal have never watched any game footage to take inspirations. They are mimicking the og voice actors amazingly. Thankfully. That article or interview was a bs about this.

Last edited:
All I can say @gabe.paul.logan is that I logged on tonight pretty much expecting that review - having seen pretty much every entertainment outlet on my social media timelines today proclaiming it as the best single episode of a TV show that there's been for a long time. I'm sad you didn't enjoy it.

As soon as it became obvious that Bill was (not even going to say it in a spoiler tag just in-case I ruin it for someone but you know what I mean), I was instantly uncomfortable but NOT because of the story decision - but because I could just hear the enraged screams of WOKE ALERT, PUSHING AN AGENDA etc. popping up all over the internet. For that reason alone I wish they'd gone in a different direction, but they obviously value telling the story they want to tell more highly than preventing those predictably stupid "woke" headlines. All power to them for that.

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who couldn't feel something in that writing and the absolutely pitch-perfect acting, and instead wants to cry "woke", because they need guns and explosions, or are seriously offended that the show doesn't follow the game in this instance. I'm not saying you are, but if it's comic-book action and writing you're after, there's The Walking Dead. This is more. Which is pretty fucking astounding considering it's based on a videogame...

This interview about it is pretty great, too. https://gizmodo.com/last-of-us-3-explained-craig-mazin-neil-druckmann-hbo-1850026210

Last edited:
All I can say @gabe.paul.logan is that I logged on tonight pretty much expecting that review - having seen pretty much every entertainment outlet on my social media timelines today proclaiming it as the best single episode of a TV show that there's been for a long time. I'm sad you didn't enjoy it.

As soon as it became obvious that Bill was (not even going to say it in a spoiler tag just in-case I ruin it for someone but you know what I mean), I was instantly uncomfortable but NOT because of the story decision - but because I could just hear the enraged screams of WOKE ALERT, PUSHING AN AGENDA etc. popping up all over the internet. For that reason alone I wish they'd gone in a different direction, but they obviously value telling the story they want to tell more highly than preventing those predictably stupid "woke" headlines. All power to them for that.

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who couldn't feel something in that writing and the absolutely pitch-perfect acting, and instead wants to cry "woke", because they need guns and explosions, or are seriously offended that the show doesn't follow the game in this instance. I'm not saying you are, but if it's comic-book action and writing you're after, there's The Walking Dead. This is more. Which is pretty fucking astounding considering it's based on a videogame...

This interview about it is pretty great, too. https://gizmodo.com/last-of-us-3-explained-craig-mazin-neil-druckmann-hbo-1850026210
Bill’s backstory and romance with Frank was vague or not even that much in the game. Even the magazine Ellie founds has only men in it. So i dont get the surprise. Issue is almost the entire episode (entire backstory) can be removed and doesnt really effect the main story. Feels like a comfortable stretch in a 9 ep show and Bill wont be even around so i dont get the extra build up for him in the show then at least let him live, it was a wasted character now and wasted amazing acting for me. Also if its a 100ep show this would be considered as a padding and side story apart from the main one. And it is here as well feels that exactly.

Back
Top Bottom