FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

100% the core of the game is flawed. The sliders are not even a bandaid this year. They are simply a way to distract what could be really bad - which is the default gameplay. The concept we've used is to take what 21 has given us and what we've known since FIFA 20. Basically creating a man-marking trigger to mimic an eventual zonal look.

For all the bad though, FIFA still produces the random brilliance in variety for me - and that doesn't happen without sliders. Here's one of the most rewarding goals I've ever scored.

Matt, are you saying this is more flawed than fifa 20, even with the sliders? Are you able to get in any way close to even fifa 20 level of game structure, with at least some midfield and some resistance?
I'm thinking of pre ordering tonight...

I think you and I were one of the few who still enjoyed fifa 20 with your sliders.
I did get a bit tired of it, especially after playing fifa 16 again-it really highlighted how spongy the short passes felt on fifa 20. Does 21 still have that spongy, bobbly feel? In videos, the passing seems crisper with more 'ping' when you actually kick the ball? Is that the case?

Cheers

Matt, are you saying this is more flawed than fifa 20, even with the sliders? Are you able to get in any way close to even fifa 20 level of game structure, with at least some midfield and some resistance?
I'm thinking of pre ordering tonight...

I think you and I were one of the few who still enjoyed fifa 20 with your sliders.
I did get a bit tired of it, especially after playing fifa 16 again-it really highlighted how spongy the short passes felt on fifa 20. Does 21 still have that spongy, bobbly feel? In videos, the passing seems crisper with more 'ping' when you actually kick the ball? Is that the case?

Cheers

The central midfield defending is a lot more absent minded than they were in 20 unfortunately. Where last year the issue was the defenders not being engaged, this year it's the central midfielders and wingers. The central defenders react very nicely actually, and it's been a joy to see the different win the ball animations that are produced.

There is some midfield resistance, even on WC, it's not as consistent as it should be - but there are things that have surprised me in the way we have things set up with the sliders. I the CPU is aggressive in their tackling, and put up good resistance. The issue for both User/CPU is that the defensive positioning is reliant on the opponent's behavior, in this case runners off the ball. That is something that we haven't had to deal with before. In year's past we always end up wanting less runs to prevent the midfielders from being forced out of position. This year, we want them to react to ANYTHING. It's bizarre.

In the end, I think what we've been able to accomplish in a short amount of time is a good base as any. The combination of the Sprint/Acceleration is such an incredible "feel" to the game, especially in the later parts when fatigue is felt like that goal I posted.

The passing is more solid. The bobbly feel goes up when you raise error and/or use driven passes in some instances (like switching the field). I would say it's more how FIFA 17 felt, but without the small ball look to it.

The central midfield defending is a lot more absent minded than they were in 20 unfortunately. Where last year the issue was the defenders not being engaged, this year it's the central midfielders and wingers. The central defenders react very nicely actually, and it's been a joy to see the different win the ball animations that are produced.

There is some midfield resistance, even on WC, it's not as consistent as it should be - but there are things that have surprised me in the way we have things set up with the sliders. I the CPU is aggressive in their tackling, and put up good resistance. The issue for both User/CPU is that the defensive positioning is reliant on the opponent's behavior, in this case runners off the ball. That is something that we haven't had to deal with before. In year's past we always end up wanting less runs to prevent the midfielders from being forced out of position. This year, we want them to react to ANYTHING. It's bizarre.

In the end, I think what we've been able to accomplish in a short amount of time is a good base as any. The combination of the Sprint/Acceleration is such an incredible "feel" to the game, especially in the later parts when fatigue is felt like that goal I posted.

The passing is more solid. The bobbly feel goes up when you raise error and/or use driven passes in some instances (like switching the field). I would say it's more how FIFA 17 felt, but without the small ball look to it.

Thanks Matt. This is interesting. I'm genuinely tempted...its the freedom and ability to play on the edge football, rather than the staid, constrained football of pes, that keeps me interested in fifa at the moment, despite all its obvious flaws.

Can I ask-have you noticed more variety in teammate attacking AI, so that you can create more interesting and intricate moves in the final third? This was something EA spoke about a lot, I wondered if they'd actually managed to achieve anything in that regard? (I mean without triggering runs yourself using the new system-im hoping the increased variety in teammate runs is just baked in already...)

Had a good laugh. Looks straight out of Warcraft or something..
EjuP7g_WAAANBPM

Just to quote the hardcore FIFA fanbase
Képkivágás.JPG

Thanks Matt. This is interesting. I'm genuinely tempted...its the freedom and ability to play on the edge football, rather than the staid, constrained football of pes, that keeps me interested in fifa at the moment, despite all its obvious flaws.

Can I ask-have you noticed more variety in teammate attacking AI, so that you can create more interesting and intricate moves in the final third? This was something EA spoke about a lot, I wondered if they'd actually managed to achieve anything in that regard? (I mean without triggering runs yourself using the new system-im hoping the increased variety in teammate runs is just baked in already...)

I think the run frequency at default of 50 has been something we didn't expect to have to use, but as I've grown to be forced in using it - it's not been a bad experience. Last year the runs off the ball would start immediately after a player touched the ball. This year, there's a bit more showing too, some more cutting inside. That goal I posted was from my CM for example. I still think runs could be a lot better, such as wingers switching sides dynamically, but the runs off the ball are a lot better than last year where a lot of it was fairly static or streaking - not much else after that. I do think the team tactics and instructions work for the attacking, but not so much defensively - typical FIFA 21.

I think the run frequency at default of 50 has been something we didn't expect to have to use, but as I've grown to be forced in using it - it's not been a bad experience. Last year the runs off the ball would start immediately after a player touched the ball. This year, there's a bit more showing too, some more cutting inside. That goal I posted was from my CM for example. I still think runs could be a lot better, such as wingers switching sides dynamically, but the runs off the ball are a lot better than last year where a lot of it was fairly static or streaking - not much else after that. I do think the team tactics and instructions work for the attacking, but not so much defensively - typical FIFA 21.

Thats good to hear. It was only after spending a few days with fifa 16 that I realised how static fifa 20 was. Although...I did notice that playing with possession as the strategy, just waiting a few moments longer led to a greater variety of runs.

It's such a shame that EA wont prioritise defence. I always had this dream of next gen ie ps3/xbox 360 involving genuinely organic cat and mouse games against the AI. That turned out well...

The frustrating thing is that EA dont even seem to be aiming for this anymore. They seem to want the fewest complications around the pitch. So much of it, apparent through your work on sliders, is to do with how the players interact with each other. I remember your marking slider increase on fifa 20 meant players go tight, which meant you could create intricate movements between the opposition midfield and defence as you turned opposition players and took them out of them game. Unfortunately, EA seems to be pushing each XI further away from each other, reducing the level of intensity, so FUT people can have clear runs on goal. So instead of two teams genuinely playing in amongst each other, it's more like ps4 pes, where two sets of players play in front of each other.

Its unbelievable that each time we see something stupid in one game, the next year, it appears in the other...

Ok. Has anyone here seen the film Idiocracy? It's a satirical film about how extremely dumb & generally easily amused and ignorant the world becomes in the future. For those who have seen it, This clip from FIFA is basically the "Ow my balls" scene from the film.

If I was to lampoon a sexed up version of football and parody how far removed from the subject matter a supposed slot machine football game would be, I'd intentionally make it look like this.

But this is actually alarming how accepted this wacky franchise has become. It's literally marketed at the lowest common denominator, A young hyperbolic audience indoctrinated to think this is awesome. What makes this clip all the more hilarious is that stupid dive celebrations. It's just sums up the obnoxious "dude bro." culture that was around 15 years ago and has re-emerged in a different form in recent years with that braggadocios attitude that comes with emotes and antagonising. Holy hell.

Between this clip and catching up with the thread, It's gave me a good chuckle. The "Okay Mr realistic" tweet kind of perfectly encapsulates that toxic community, It's a losing battle. These are basically the video game equivalent of Trump supporters. They are brain broken and you cannot reinvent the colour of the sky.

I'm a bit out of the FIFA loop the last few years but I'm kind a clued in on the direction it's taken, The way you guys are condemning the goal fests and the ninja dribbling is exactly how I felt about PES 2019, And I argued with people who tried to convince me it was a more realistic sim than PES 5 until i pissed my pants in fatigue. These people just won't accept that these aren't football games anymore and that their just digital battlefields where the guns are replaced by footballs and that's it really.

All jokes aside this is the worst football game I've ever played and the defensive tracking issue is not the biggest issue. I got the trial for 4quid and played 3 hrs

The animations are shocking in a lot of instances - this kills and fantastic randomness because random is good if it's actually life like

The player movement is bad

The ball control is unrealistic

The random leg the AI sticks out to try and tackle you looks daft - I managed to dribble box to box with van dijk on world class before he was eventually dispossesed

It's just all round terrible

Fifa 20 plays much better imo

In terms of solutions, when (if) we can get access to the frosty gameplay files, I think increasing the AI awareness and tracking will be possible. To what level remains to be seen though.

Also, unless there's access to some new files in there I'm not confident we could eliminate 1v1 unfortunately, but I think we will be able to reduce it's impact a little more. My main focus when we can access the files will be to try and level up the defensive side of the game vs the attacking and this can be done in various ways. This won't be a solution to all, but it might improve things a little further assuming EA don't step in and help us out...

Last edited:
Just had a go with the sliders posted on the previous page.

Normal speed. (I say that because one of the defenders INEXPLICABLY just turns away at one point, which you might think is a "slow speed" bug - but it's not. It might be because my team started the Career Mode season with +6 attribute boosts, because Career Mode has the same insane morale stat boosts as last year. Turns out they lied about fixing that.)

There were many awful things before this point (ping-pong passing from the AI, a headed pass that travelled from forehead to foot in half a second as if it were an ACTUAL BULLET, etc.)...

...but when it's all that AND that easy to bypass pretty much an entire team? That's the final straw.

It's even the exact same goal I scored in the live stream several times. So I can't even take solace in shot variety.

Sorry, but there's just no saving this game* - and that's nobody's fault but EA's.

*Particularly if you play with EPL teams - even if you use two of the worst EPL teams.

It is categorically, undoubtably, the worst football game I've played in years. I honestly can't think of a PES or a FIFA I'd put lower. From the very beginning. And I'm really struggling to accept that this is where we are in 2020, at what should be the current gen's strongest period.

Just had a go with the sliders posted on the previous page.

Normal speed. (I say that because one of the defenders INEXPLICABLY just turns away at one point, which you might think is a "slow speed" bug - but it's not. It might be because my team started the Career Mode season with +6 attribute boosts, because Career Mode has the same insane morale stat boosts as last year. Turns out they lied about fixing that.)

There were many awful things before this point (ping-pong passing from the AI, a headed pass that travelled from forehead to foot in half a second as if it were an ACTUAL BULLET, etc.)...

...but when it's all that AND that easy to bypass pretty much an entire team? That's the final straw.

It's even the exact same goal I scored in the live stream several times. So I can't even take solace in shot variety.

Sorry, but there's just no saving this game* - and that's nobody's fault but EA's.

*Particularly if you play with EPL teams - even if you use two of the worst EPL teams.

It is categorically, undoubtably, the worst football game I've played in years. I honestly can't think of a PES or a FIFA I'd put lower. From the very beginning. And I'm really struggling to accept that this is where we are in 2020, at what should be the current gen's strongest period.
It's a joke. I can't believe this is where we're at in 2020. I'd expect a higher level of programming from a Sega Master System game.

Does anybody know if you can change pitch colour and type of pitch in career mode? I know you can before a exhibition match but I don't think you can in career? Or have i missed it?

And therein is the priority of modern day football gaming...............

I went to turn off competitive mode and it seemed that it only becomes available to turn off when the difficulty is set to legendary. I usually play on professional. Is this to do with it being the 10 hour trial? I played a CM game with it on legendary as I wanted to see the game with that competitive arcade crap turned off - beat Sheff Utd 2-1 as Spurs :-) was a pretty good game in the end.

Although I played a lot of Fifa 20, I've been playing PES 2020/21 more recently. I want to like Fifa more as overall its a better package, what I'm struggling with more than anything is (after coming in to this from playing PES) are the arcadey, skating animations. At times it really kills the immersion for me more than anything else

All progress you make or content you acquire within FIFA 21 Ultimate Team (including players, items, coins, FIFA Points, match record, and leaderboard placement), as well as all progression in Volta Football will transfer from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5 and back, or Xbox One to Xbox Series X and back. Progress within all other modes including Online Seasons, Co-Op Seasons, Career Mode, Pro Clubs, etc. will be specific to the console you are playing on and won't transfer between consoles.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news...ransfer-progress-save-games-free-copy-2248698

I went to turn off competitive mode and it seemed that it only becomes available to turn off when the difficulty is set to legendary. I usually play on professional. Is this to do with it being the 10 hour trial? I played a CM game with it on legendary as I wanted to see the game with that competitive arcade crap turned off - beat Sheff Utd 2-1 as Spurs :-) was a pretty good game in the end.

Although I played a lot of Fifa 20, I've been playing PES 2020/21 more recently. I want to like Fifa more as overall its a better package, what I'm struggling with more than anything is (after coming in to this from playing PES) are the arcadey, skating animations. At times it really kills the immersion for me more than anything else
It's the other way round, you can only turn it on when playing on Legendary or Ultimate. Competitive mode doesn't exist at all in lower difficulties.

Back
Top Bottom