FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I played about 4 games of kick-off matches yesterday as I have the sliders in that perfect sweet spot for me it seems.

I think a big issue EA have is the Frostbite engine. I remember seeing that many of the people who've created it have left, making it difficult to work with the code. Not to mention, it was designed primarily for Battlefield I believe. I dont think when it was made that the intention was to ever introduce it to Fifa when it was made. A new engine may give the few here what they want, but I can't see it considering how much money they make every year from FUT. It's sad to see Konami struggle so much, as that was the only chance for a company to challenge EA. I don't have much hope for Goals or UFL tbh. TIF tried back in the day, got about 5 years out of it and some pretty fun games, then disappeared into the ether.

And what I mean by fundamentals is the way in which a player can zig-zag, float over the turf, bend legs in stupid ways, not lift their leg backwards before kicking the ball. If you can’t get the basic laws of physics right, what does anything else matter?
You're talking about animations. These are not related to the physics of the game. The game does get the basic laws of physics right.

You're talking about animations. These are not related to the physics of the game. The game does get the basic laws of physics right.
Have you honestly not seen - cos I've seen this in pretty much every match I've ever played - soft chips with zero momentum put on a defender's head who then miraculously bullet-headers it the length of his own half, which is physically impossible? Like in this example from an older release (watch the header away):

PlainAstonishingDouglasfirbarkbeetle-max-14mb.gif

Have you not seen - again, I've seen this in every match I've played - the highest-velocity passes that don't even need to be controlled by the recipient before they're moving away with the ball (totally ignoring momentum physics and also removing a whole aspect of football from the gameplay, ball control)?

Have you not seen the patch notes (sorry, Pitch Notes) where they freely admit to forcing tackles to keep possession more often, ignoring the physics of a situation (e.g. creating a loose ball) in order to "reward the player" and keep them from getting frustrated?

What about the shots that alternate between "faster than a bullet" and "plastic bag floating in the wind" far beyond the realms of possibility using an actual football?

All of these are "basic physics" and I would argue they are most definitely and demonstrably "wrong" - entirely on purpose.

There are some incredible moments, and the variety is fantastic, but the game actively CHOOSES to ignore the constraints of physics now, in a way it never has before next-gen consoles arrived - which, if anything, should have heralded more complete, complex physics.

Sure, on some occasions they can be, but on MANY occasions they have gone back several console generations in how basic physics are for the sake of limiting player frustration (e.g. headers magically powering up and heading directly to the recipient's boot/chest like a pin to magnet - without even hitting the ground first). We are all forcibly treated like children, rather than this just being an option for children in an options menu... and given how valuable that market is (and how low-value gamers like us are), I don't see things changing.

(Apologies in advance for a negative post, but there is a sort-of new point in this one!) Was inspired to play a couple of games after watching Union Berlin v Schalke.

First ten minutes of each game felt fairly lovely (I find it tends to when you're on the ball). Then, in both games (shortly into the first half), the AI had a man sent off for an absolutely flying leg-breaking tackle from behind for no conceivable reason (with my player in his own half, FFS).

What I found most interesting was that - and I ask you to try this yourselves - the AI having ten men made absolutely zero difference to the game. None whatsoever. To the gameplay, or to the match stats.

This is because of the gameplay balance - you don't need 10 outfield players to maneuver your way to goal when the opposition AI is entirely defensively disengaged because of the God-damn 1v1 defending shit, and you can just pass directly from CB to CM then ST and shoot. Even with the most aggressive sliders (set the AI pass error to 100 if you like, it'll still happen).

This just absolutely doubles-down on every feeling I have about how simple (and a huge step backwards) this game is. I'm constantly questioning myself because it can look (and feel) good in short bursts, especially the training elements in Career Mode where the AI isn't a huge part of a lot of the drills. But... Honestly, the future scares me. Especially if this game is held aloft as a step forward.

To give credit where credit's due, I really enjoyed seeing this goal as it's not something I've ever seen the likes of in FIFA 23 before. It just doesn't happen in my games.

...enjoyed it, that is, except for the final pass before the goal - where the ball is sucked to the floor, glued to it like a bowling ball and zooms like a bullet. I just can't not see this stuff, where ball physics are suddenly manipulated for gameplay's sake (and, IMO, makes the gameplay worse). It sticks out like a sore thumb. This just doesn't happen in the last-gen games.

Same with the crazy speed boosts non-human-controlled players sometimes have in transition (where their legs move at twice the normal rate, like cartoon characters) and as soon as they get to their required position (or you take control of them), they're back to normal.

Please, EA, I beg you - I'll do anything - just give us a "fun physics" switch that lets us disable this stuff. Cos everything else here looks really good.

To give credit where credit's due, I really enjoyed seeing this goal as it's not something I've ever seen the likes of in FIFA 23 before. It just doesn't happen in my games.

...enjoyed it, that is, except for the final pass before the goal - where the ball is sucked to the floor, glued to it like a bowling ball and zooms like a bullet. I just can't not see this stuff, where ball physics are suddenly manipulated for gameplay's sake (and, IMO, makes the gameplay worse). It sticks out like a sore thumb. This just doesn't happen in the last-gen games.

Same with the crazy speed boosts non-human-controlled players sometimes have in transition (where their legs move at twice the normal rate, like cartoon characters) and as soon as they get to their required position (or you take control of them), they're back to normal.

Please, EA, I beg you - I'll do anything - just give us a "fun physics" switch that lets us disable this stuff. Cos everything else here looks really good.

It looks good until you watch the defending side AI. Statues. Utter rubbish.

It looks good until you watch the defending side AI. Statues. Utter rubbish.
Yeah, goes without saying. There's no "fixing" the 1v1 gameplay, you can't turn it off. But in this instance I don't think it looks too horrendous. Some teams would be set up to cover the width of the pitch and stand off like that - just not every single team, which is the killer.

After watching Matt's lovely clips above, and reading a few tweets from people saying the latest update gives the best gameplay since release (though they're largely online players), I had another game of my Tranmere career tonight.

I would have enjoyed the game if not for another AI player getting sent off in the first half (third or fourth game in a row this has happened to me) - see the scoreboard below - and then the AI going on to win (second time in a row) because it made absolutely no difference. Which should ring alarm bells about the gameplay balance, if having fewer players doesn't hamper you in any way.

There was this really organic-feeling cross, header and save, which I really loved:

(Ignore the crosser wearing the ball like a novelty football slipper, obviously!)

But then, there was this header...

This just didn't happen until the next-gen games. The laws of physics COMPLETELY ignored in order for the PERFECT headed pass to occur. It's so... childish, IMO. For the game to bend over backwards to make sure my input, no matter how impossible to pull off, is pulled off.

Question - is there any way to fix the subs boards being broken and saying "leaguelogo" across them, on console? My Career Mode game in League Two has broken score updates (where a blank scoreboard appears at the top-left of the screen) and checkerboard template subs boards like this:

KvIJQsw.jpg

Guys, now in February.... is it finally possible to see agressive AI during the single player matches? More fouls? Or is it still the same non-realistic sh*t with no reason to buy it? Fouls are extremely important for me. Thank you.

Guys, now in February.... is it finally possible to see agressive AI during the single player matches? More fouls? Or is it still the same non-realistic sh*t with no reason to buy it? Fouls are extremely important for me. Thank you.
Computer says “no”.

Were you not seeing fouls before? It's so varied this year. Some matches there's 6 or 7, some there's 1. It just depends on the team you're playing against and the match scenario. You can also change referee strictness from default to whatever you choose.

I personally play on default strictness. I like the variety, and it's nice to see not every hard challenge is a yellow or red. Again, depends on the team of course.

Were you not seeing fouls before? It's so varied this year. Some matches there's 6 or 7, some there's 1. It just depends on the team you're playing against and the match scenario. You can also change referee strictness from default to whatever you choose.

I personally play on default strictness. I like the variety, and it's nice to see not every hard challenge is a yellow or red. Again, depends on the team of course.
Matt, credit to you man. I bailed on 23 not long after release, couldn't stand it. I actually quite enjoyed 22 NG too..... Anyway after playing some 22 today, I thought I'd give 23 a bit more of a go. Fired up your latest set and it's come a hell of a long way. 1v1 less noticeable now (as I found it to be in 22 NG for the most part). Very much enjoying my time with the game tonight. Great work :APPLAUD:

NWSL clubs are joining Fifa. Always good to have more women's teams, even if it's still kinda broken with the sliders

Ah yes, more women's teams. Forget career mode and hundreds of other things which haven't been fixed or looked at for years. Just throw a few women's teams in for good PR and job done.

They don't care about women's football. The proof is in the pudding. Women should be questioning EA and why they think shoving Sam Kerr on the front cover counts as caring when you could only play friendlies with them for 10+ years.

Either way, I'm sure the 0.2% of players who use the women's teams will be delighted.

Whys is it always good to have more women's teams when the core is rubbish. If everyone was honest they'd take zero women's team and 50% less men's.teams as substitute for great gameplay .
Luckily the number of women's teams has zero impact on gameplay development. This is a ridiculous statement and only serves to galvanise bigots. You don't have to care about women's football to be glad it's in the game for those who do care about it. Someone shouting "get rid of the MLS, I don't like it therefore it's shit" would be just as relevant.

Luckily the number of women's teams has zero impact on gameplay development. This is a ridiculous statement and only serves to galvanise bigots. You don't have to care about women's football to be glad it's in the game for those who do care about it. Someone shouting "get rid of the Turkish league, I don't like it so it's shit" would be just as wrong.
Nothing ridiculous about it I'm stating facts,the women's game on fifa is poorly implemented , stats are meaningless which shows ea themselves are doing it just to tick a box. Probaby why you cant do men v girls as the scorelines wouldnt change against any other mode. I'd be quite happy for anyone to play with what ever team they chose but I'd rather EA get the fundamentals right first.

I don't think I've ever played a single whole game with women teams, however they certainly aren't the reason the game is in the state it is. It's surely not like it's a choice between women's league or a good game of football lol.

I mean you could do this argument for everything barely external to the field. Why even having Premier League or any other big license of any kind if the game is bad at core? Wouldn't those big money being better spent on the gameplay? If that was the argument, for sure.. but we all know they never lacked the resources to make a better one. The game as it is is exactly as they want it.

Nothing ridiculous about it I'm stating facts,the women's game on fifa is poorly implemented
Is the MLS well implemented? Is the Swedish league well implemented? Is League Two well implemented? They're all fairly different and yet you don't have an opinion on that. But you have an opinion on how well women's leagues are implemented? Weird, that.

You weren't complaining that adding the MLS was "ticking a box" to appease Americans, 3D-building all those new stadiums and doing all the player scans. All this announcement is, is exactly that - adding a new league, and for the first time it's a problem to some people. For one reason. Because it's a women's league.

The women's leagues have nothing to do with the gameplay development work. It's just an excuse to sneer over something like a troll.

Is the MLS well implemented? Is the Swedish league well implemented? Is League Two well implemented? They're all fairly different and yet you don't have an opinion on that. But you have an opinion on how well women's leagues are implemented? Weird, that.

You weren't complaining that adding the MLS was "ticking a box", 3D-building all those new stadiums and player scans. All they've done is add a new league, and for the first time it's a problem to some people. For one reason. Because it's a women's league.

The women's leagues have nothing to do with the gameplay development work. It's just an excuse to sneer over something like a troll.

But this is the thing, it IS ticking a box. You can't just call the people who see through it, trolls. Chelsea paint a massive mural of Sam Kerr on Stamford Bridge. You might say it's inclusive and great, I call it ridiculous and ask how many times Sam Kerr played at Stamford Bridge? I personally think it's important to call out when things are done for a PR win. I have no issues with women's football and I'm all for it. Sam Kerr should be questioning things like that herself and asking why there's a mural of her on the wall when she isn't even allowed to play there more than 2/3 times a year.

As for MLS and other men's leagues, why would any of us ever call that ticking a box?

But this is the thing, it IS ticking a box. You can't just call the people who see through it, trolls. Chelsea paint a massive mural of Sam Kerr on Stamford Bridge. You might say it's inclusive and great, I call it ridiculous and ask how many times Sam Kerr played at Stamford Bridge? I personally think it's important to call out when things are done for a PR win. I have no issues with women's football and I'm all for it. Sam Kerr should be questioning things like that herself and asking why there's a mural of her on the wall when she isn't even allowed to play there more than 2/3 times a year.

As for MLS and other men's leagues, why would any of us ever call that ticking a box?
The Sam Kerr point is nothing to do with FIFA, but okay; if you think it's "ridiculous" and "box-ticking" that someone who plays for Chelsea FC's women's team is celebrated by a mural on the home of Chelsea FC, the club she plays for, wherever her team happens to play their home games, all I can say is I massively disagree.

Stamford Bridge is Chelsea HQ. You can promote your women's team to fans of your men's team (whose fans include women), and celebrate all your club's heroes to all your fans, wherever your club is represented (i.e. Chelsea, not gender-specific). There's not exactly as much real-estate at Kingsmeadow to put a celebratory mural on.

Re: "why would we call including the MLS ticking a box" - well, precisely my point, it'd be stupid. But it's the same logic. "Putting the damn MLS in a football game... Just to please the Americans... Who even uses those teams anyway... Nobody supports them... It's just a box-ticking exercise..." Replace MLS/Americans with female equivalents. Bullshit either way.

Back
Top Bottom