FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

The Sam Kerr point is nothing to do with FIFA, but okay; if you think it's "ridiculous" and "box-ticking" that someone who plays for Chelsea FC's women's team is celebrated by a mural on the home of Chelsea FC, whether she plays at that ground or another one, all I can say is I massively disagree.

You can promote your women's team to fans of your men's team (whose fans include women), and celebrate all your club's heroes on any grounds you own. There's not exactly as much real-estate at Kingsmeadow to put a celebratory mural on, is there.

Re: "why would we call including the MLS ticking a box" - well, precisely my point, it'd be stupid. But it's the same logic. "Putting the damn MLS in a football game... Just to please the Americans... Who even uses those teams anyway... Nobody supports them... It's just a box-ticking exercise..." Replace MLS/Americans with female equivalents. Bullshit either way.

It's fine to massively disagree, just don't call people trolls if they have a different (and perfectly reasonable) opinion to yours.

It's fine to massively disagree, just don't call people trolls if they have a different (and perfectly reasonable) opinion to yours.
But it is trolling. Because the key thing in all of this is, the problem is that it's a woman. He had no problem with any other league being included before today, but the women's league is somehow detrimental to gameplay - and you have a problem with a club hero being represented in a mural at the club's HQ, because she's a woman ("she doesn't play there" - she gets her wages from there, she represents that club, she has every right to be represented back by it).

All posts like yours do is draw others like moths to a flame, to shit on women's football for the most fantastical reasons. Such as "they'll make FIFA's gameplay worse". With absolutely zero thought or care for what their inclusion will mean to thousands of women and girls. They don't count because they're just a box. Not human beings. It's trolling. However you dress it up. And I've explained why in my previous reply to you, which you've ignored.

To link this back to the topic, one more time... None of this impacts FIFA's gameplay development. Trust me. So just carry on not using women's teams and it won't affect you.

If anyone else has anything negative to say about the inclusion of more women's leagues, keep it out of the thread because it will lead to the post being deleted and an instant ban. No further warnings. (EDIT: A post after this one has just been removed and the user banned.)

Last edited:
Somebody needs a history lesson.

Here in the UK, women’s football took over from men’s at the outbreak of the First World War. It became seriously popular - it was so popular that the Football Association worried about it taking over from the men’s game. Their response? They effectively banned women’s football from then until the 1970s.

So, no, they don’t play in front of 50,000 people every week YET, but the women’s game is owed a lot, by everybody in football, to help it get back to where it could have been if women hadn’t been pushed away from the game for so many years.

Unfortunately, misogyny is still a big issue and women's rights are not always respected. Someone on Twitter was saying that women shouldn't be near a football pitch - I lost my head with them. And then I was temporarily banned for voicing my opinion in a mature and respectful way. Elon is gonna Elon though.

It's disgusting really and has no place not just in the game, but in general. I'm sick and tired of far-right, brainwashed Trump/Tory idiots who don't even believe what they're saying half of the time, it's just something they've bought into because "the world is woke, man!".

Sorry for the off-topic rant but I do worry about the state of the world right now. I particularly dislike living in my own country at the moment. There's nothing "Great" about Britain.

Football games need variety so adding women teams is a really good mouv from EA.
But we 're looking for more realism for EAFC24 and i hope they scanned also men PL teams, french teams, Bundesliga teams and Seria teams.
Fingers crosses🤞

Whatever the intention behind the inclusion, I don’t see how the women’s leagues negatively impact the development of the game. Ironically, the animations playing with the women’s teams is better than the Space Jam experience of playing with the men’s teams. Same goes for many of the weaker leagues with lower stats. Unfortunately you can still throw a GK hat-trick in dribbling from your own goalmouth if you get tired of that passing bullshit 😂

Here’s the real controversy, FIFA 18 is the best all-round FIFA of the modern era 😬

To come back a bit IT. I remember that "feature" (sic) they announced months before the release.. the one in which teams would adapt to the score and the tactics of the human player.. can't remember the game they gave it.

Do you guys feel like it's something noticeable in game? I'm watching a youtuber's career and I always see the same prairies and spaces no matter the result or the situation, but I don't know if it's his sliders or something.

very dweeb takes here. EA have added the fictional team from Ted Lasso but it’s the addition women’s teams that took it too far.

Some people follow women’s football, the same way some people follow more obscure, non-core leagues. They want to use those players. If you don’t want to play with them, then don’t. To argue women’s football is detracting from the core gameplay is ridiculous because FIFA is layered with countless excess features that aren’t core to the gameplay or the football landscape. Just look at FUT.

The Title Update #9 will soon be available for the PC (EA app/Origin/Steam/Epic Games Store), PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One versions of FIFA 23.

General, Audio, and Visual

Made the following changes:

• Added the UEFA Women`s Champions League (UWCL) to the Kick Off and Tournaments.
  • Added the National Women`s Soccer League (NWSL) to Kick Off, Online Seasons and Friendlies, as well as Tournament.
  • Added four new Women`s clubs:
    • Real Madrid C.F., VFL Wolfsburg, Juventus, and Eintracht Frankfurt
  • Updated some kits, star heads, competition bios, tifos, credits, logos, armbands, badges, anthems, substitution boards, stadia, balls, ad boards, tattoos, facial accessories, trophies, and pitch flags.
  • Added ten new signature celebrations.
Gameplay

• Players with the Explosive AcceleRATE archetype now accelerate slightly faster during the early stages of a requested sprint.
  • When intercepting the ball while jockeying, the player is now better able to take control of the ball instead of it bouncing away from the player.
  • Increased accuracy of Driven Ground Passes made to teammates ahead of the ball carrier, in situations where the passer is under no pressure from defenders.
  • Improved contextual logic when determining if a Standing Tackle request should lead to a defending player performing a Standing Tackle or a Push/Pull.
    • This change will result in more Standing Tackles being performed than Pushes or Pulls, in some situations.
  • Slightly increased the likelihood of a knuckleball shot occurring when requesting a Power Shot.
  • Decreased the speed that the ball can travel at from a free kick taken with the outside of the foot.
  • Slightly decreased the range required for a defender to attempt a tackle without being requested to do so.
  • Increased consistency of flicking the ball if the ball was in the air.
Addressed the following issues:

• In some cases, a player could take longer than intended to start sprinting with the ball when a sprint was requested.
  • Goalkeepers could have sometimes anticipated shots too quickly.
    • This was most noticeable in 1 on 1 situations.
  • Improved referee logic when determining potential penalty kick fouls near the edge of the box.
  • In rare cases, the camera would not position itself as intended for penalty kicks.
  • When performing a tackle near the touchline, defenders could sometimes kick the ball out of play more often than intended.
FIFA Ultimate Team™

Addressed the following issue:

• A stability issue could occur in Co-Op Friendlies.
Thanks to those who’ve provided feedback. Throughout the course of the FIFA 23 season, we'll provide you with more information and updates if and when they become available. Be sure to follow EAFIFADIRECT on Twitter and the EASF Tracker for the latest updates.

• The EA SPORTS FIFA Team

• Players with the Explosive AcceleRATE archetype now accelerate slightly faster during the early stages of a requested sprint.
  • When intercepting the ball while jockeying, the player is now better able to take control of the ball instead of it bouncing away from the player.
  • Increased accuracy of Driven Ground Passes made to teammates ahead of the ball carrier, in situations where the passer is under no pressure from defenders.

Still waiting for the day when a patch doesn't (in some form) increase speed, pass accuracy and "stickiness" (i.e. make pass interceptions ignore physics, eliminating any hope of there ever being a loose ball in this game). Seems like it's every damn time.

How is this game not end-to-end enough already for some people? Jesus Christ. Give me one set of patch notes that say "ball trapping errors increased", EA, I beg you. Especially when the sliders are so weak now (possibly due to the "real match recordings" overriding things as @Anth James mentions in the PC thread).

I've a grievance I need to air. So I have tried the update, seems ok thus far. Played an NWSL game (which does look good btw). Lost 4-1, but it doesn't seem overpowered (my earlier complaint about sliders not working I think is just the low standard of women's GK reflected in the game tbh, with a team like Chelsea rarely missing the target, so half and half). My grievance is this. The UWCL (Women's Champions League for the laymen) was announced for the game around Oct 19, 2022 (I found an article from that date mentioning it) and thus the idea of having the 12 extra teams who aren't French or English (in the game already, basically) was an exciting one. Instead, we have ONLY the Semi's and the final that we can play, and 4 extra teams as mentioned above, one of which (Juve) went out in the group stage and another (Frankfurt) that wasn't even in the competition altogether. So if we look at the quarter finals, we have five of the teams there in the game (2 English, 2 French and Wolfsburg) & three that aren't in the game (Bayern, Barca and Roma). Surely Konami's licensing of Bayern and Barca doesn't affect the women's team as well? It's so frustrating, as I was expecting a Copa Libertadores style addition, but I guess I should've expected a company the size of EA to give us the bare minimum they could.

Apologies for the rant, but it's just so frustrating. I imagine this is how certain people feel with their gameplay grievances.

What tha hell is thad for a creepy women football gameplay from €A with last update. I was trying the new UWCL mode and I think my neighbours could heared this. Luckily not destroyed controller.

Opponent Ai runs and dribble from minimum the middle part of the pitch (where they tackle me with groundtackle (referee slider max out / no card or something/ yellow card for me trying a header in oponents box after my cornerkick for my attacker) and won the ball)

(ah, and had a goal for my team but referee whistles offside but had no replay to show me the offside.)

And in one match I had and errormessage that my xbox s x isn't anymore online. Yea ba! I was playing an offline tournament. Game was crashing to mainmenu from the console.

My players run away from the ball and button on xbox controller doesn't work anymore to tackle/intercept the oponent players.

Before I was trying the new mode I was wondering why €A add only a handfull women club teams to the game - now I know it the UWCL tournament starts on the quarterfinals and not in groupephase.

Hey yah eCashArts you can #%&$§ your self!

:R1

Tried update, played OK on professional for about 5 mins until Anthony from man utd bent his leg back on itself to perform some weird impossible pass, turned it off after that

Of course it does. A KONAMI partner club won't license its women team to EA, too. The only way to have these teams in the game would be via a league license.
It's confusing tbh, as the Copa Libertodores license gave Konami licensed teams into the game (unless Brazilian). I would have expected a UEFA Women's Champions League license would have a similar thing

Well, there's clearly an audience for the horrendous speed increase.

God I wish I could play 23 and have fun.

EDIT: Just saw this clip of Roblox football and genuinely, when you look at the momentum of the players and the way they can't instantly react to everything... No trolling - I think it looks better. What a sad place to be.

Last edited:

Well, there's clearly an audience for the horrendous speed increase.

God I wish I could play 23 and have fun.

EDIT: Just saw this clip of Roblox football and genuinely, when you look at the momentum of the players and the way they can't instantly react to everything... No trolling - I think it looks better. What a sad place to be.

When you see there’s a fucking meta for a football game… is this a Yu gi oh game?

The Title Update #10 will soon be available for the PC (EA app/Origin/Steam/Epic Games Store), PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One versions of FIFA 23.

FIFA Ultimate Team

• Placeholder text could have displayed for some FUT Moments requirements.
  • Placeholder visuals could have displayed during some Pack opening animations.
General, Audio, and Visual

• Updated some kits, badges, boots, UI elements, trophies, star heads, gloves, balls, VIP Areas, banners, tifos, stadium themes, celebrations stadia, and facial hair.

• Addressed instances of various stability issues.
  • Sometimes, the UI element for displaying points in King Of The Hill matches did not display correctly.
Thanks to those who’ve provided feedback. Throughout the course of the FIFA 23 season, we'll provide you with more information and updates if and when they become available. Be sure to follow EAFIFADIRECT on Twitter and the EASF Tracker for the latest updates.

• The EA SPORTS FIFA Team

Any opinions on the last patch?
I really enjoyed FIFA over the last few weeks (if not months) with the OS sliders. Reasonable scoresheets, a lot of variety in the gameplay. (Way too few fouls and almost no penalties as well, but it seems you can’t have anything…).
But after the last update it became an awful mess again. Laser passes, ping pong passes. Not the tiniest glimpse of midfield play, even more ridiculous animations than ever, defence absolutely useless again, pass pass goal, rinse and repeat.
I tried my career mode save, I tried kick off games in higher leagues and in lower leagues. Every game a goal fest again, minimum 6-7 goals. The last game I played last night was Genua vs Bari, score was 6:4 with xG of almost 7 goals for each team.
I can’t even imagine how this should be played with default sliders…

I really enjoyed FIFA over the last few weeks (if not months) with the OS sliders. Reasonable scoresheets, a lot of variety in the gameplay. (Way too few fouls and almost no penalties as well, but it seems you can’t have anything…).
But after the last update it became an awful mess again. Laser passes, ping pong passes. Not the tiniest glimpse of midfield play, even more ridiculous animations than ever, defence absolutely useless again, pass pass goal, rinse and repeat.
I tried my career mode save, I tried kick off games in higher leagues and in lower leagues. Every game a goal fest again, minimum 6-7 goals. The last game I played last night was Genua vs Bari, score was 6:4 with xG of almost 7 goals for each team.
As long as EA develops the game you shouldn’t be expecting anything better gameplay related. Of course, OS sliders can only fix a few things in the short term.

Some are arguing that it's placebo. Clearly you and I are playing a different game (possibly in a different universe). All I can say is, I'm seeing the exact same as you.

Pre-update I couldn't enjoy the game even with sliders. Now, the ball practically teleports from player to player in an instant. No time required to transition, no defence, just goalmouth to goalmouth.

I've put sprint/pass speed down to values of sub-10 and it's the only way to get any semblance of football, and of course it breaks a ton of things if you alter things to those extremes, so there's no point.

Truly the saddest time to be a football fan and a gamer. Unless you're a FUT/eSports player. Which accounts for most of their sales. So who cares, right.

At least modders on PC are showing what the engine is capable of (see the PC thread) if it wasn't constantly tuned and tweaked for the benefit of those who would secretly rather be playing Fortnite.

Some are arguing that it's placebo. Clearly you and I are playing a different game (possibly in a different universe). All I can say is, I'm seeing the exact same as you.

Pre-update I couldn't enjoy the game even with sliders. Now, the ball practically teleports from player to player in an instant. No time required to transition, no defence, just goalmouth to goalmouth.

I've put sprint/pass speed down to values of sub-10 and it's the only way to get any semblance of football, and of course it breaks a ton of things if you alter things to those extremes, so there's no point.

Truly the saddest time to be a football fan and a gamer. Unless you're a FUT/eSports player. Which accounts for most of their sales. So who cares, right.

At least modders on PC are showing what the engine is capable of (see the PC thread) if it wasn't constantly tuned and tweaked for the benefit of those who would secretly rather be playing Fortnite.
It works both ways unfortunately because I haven't had anything that resembles what you've mentioned, Chris. Not sure what is going on that the discrepancy seems to be so big.

I had worries too about the most recent update, and received plenty of messages about how it's broken, etc. However, when I loaded my games up, in multiple CMs, the gameplay was still excellent. A variety of passes, and build-ups, met with resistance in certain spots and I could identify what type of tactics I was up against, but as it's been with FIFA 23, there is no rigid approach this year. The CPU dribbles when they want and passes when they want, there's nothing like previous years of "dribble-dribble-pass". I'm still surprised when they choose to test from distance, and equally surprised when the defensive midfielders drop all the way into the box to clear out a cross.

I hate the fact that others are struggling so much with enjoying the game. I also know there are plenty that is indeed still enjoying it like crazy. It's just bizarre to me. In the OS thread, there's even talk about how the game changes when you put the power bar speed below 50...is that a placebo or not? I have no idea. I hope that even if it is a placebo that it allows someone to enjoy the game as a whole. There are just too many good things that many are missing out on, and I can't even say why it is because I'm not experiencing it. In a way, that's a shame because I still can't put the game down.

It works both ways unfortunately because I haven't had anything that resembles what you've mentioned, Chris. Not sure what is going on that the discrepancy seems to be so big.

I had worries too about the most recent update, and received plenty of messages about how it's broken, etc. However, when I loaded my games up, in multiple CMs, the gameplay was still excellent. A variety of passes, and build-ups, met with resistance in certain spots and I could identify what type of tactics I was up against, but as it's been with FIFA 23, there is no rigid approach this year. The CPU dribbles when they want and passes when they want, there's nothing like previous years of "dribble-dribble-pass". I'm still surprised when they choose to test from distance, and equally surprised when the defensive midfielders drop all the way into the box to clear out a cross.

I hate the fact that others are struggling so much with enjoying the game. I also know there are plenty that is indeed still enjoying it like crazy. It's just bizarre to me. In the OS thread, there's even talk about how the game changes when you put the power bar speed below 50...is that a placebo or not? I have no idea. I hope that even if it is a placebo that it allows someone to enjoy the game as a whole. There are just too many good things that many are missing out on, and I can't even say why it is because I'm not experiencing it. In a way, that's a shame because I still can't put the game down.
It is a shame Matt, cos nobody is saying there isn't good (even great) stuff in there. I just can't explain how (for example) your experience is so different to mine, with or without sliders - especially when (as @shumway said) scorelines are so wild, so it's not even just a "feel" thing or a "personal preference" thing. I'm just sad, more than anything.

I too had been using Matt's sliders, which had transformed the game until this latest update. I mean, still nothing like football, but it was the best it had been.

But after this update...

I have to agree with Chris. The response times of the AI have just rocketed (just like their passing).

I'm still using Matt's sliders and post-update this is even worse than it was before, and thats saying something.

FIFA 23 will go down in memory as one of the really bad ones, like FIFA 21.

It is a shame Matt, cos nobody is saying there isn't good (even great) stuff in there. I just can't explain how (for example) your experience is so different to mine, with or without sliders - especially when (as @shumway said) scorelines are so wild, so it's not even just a "feel" thing or a "personal preference" thing. I'm just sad, more than anything.
Yeah, from a troubleshooting perspective, it's just blind leading the blind. I can't really help anyone, just make suggestions, but I do feel guilty because it's playing so well for me, and multiple others - which is crazy. I know my standards haven't lowered, if anything I feel like I can expect more from FIFA 23 because it does so well at doing things on the field that I had no idea the CPU was capable of thinking in that way. Sure, it has its FIFA moments, but I definitely don't say it lightly when I say it's the most fun I've had in any FIFA.

I was curious as a lot of people are talking about how much this update has changed things. I can't really see it too much tbh. I played Genoa v Bari as here to see how it goes, fully manual as always & this was the result 1873071d31a61-screenshotUrl (1).jpg

Yeah, from a troubleshooting perspective, it's just blind leading the blind. I can't really help anyone, just make suggestions, but I do feel guilty because it's playing so well for me, and multiple others - which is crazy. I know my standards haven't lowered, if anything I feel like I can expect more from FIFA 23 because it does so well at doing things on the field that I had no idea the CPU was capable of thinking in that way. Sure, it has its FIFA moments, but I definitely don't say it lightly when I say it's the most fun I've had in any FIFA.
Hi Matt I hope you're fine.
Since the beginning of this FIFA 23, we saw two different expérience. The good one with nice gameplay for a FIFA with variations, crosses, good balle physics and the other, like Chris said : the bad one with a direct gameplay , no timeout, everything is badly scripted.

The fact is when i saw some gameplay videos and i played the game, it's really different. I don't know why, maybe there are more bugs on pc.

I have started a New career with Chelsea and i have so much fun. I have lost my third first matchs but with a realistic score like 1-0 or 2-1.
The last patch make my games even better because the CPU is more agressiv so more faults on the pitch.

I saw some really nice actions from CPU. FUMA is helping I think but I don't know why the gameplay is so bad for many people.

Last edited:
Hi Matti i hope you're fine.
Since the begenning of this FIFA 23, we saw two different expérience. The good one with nice gameplay for a FIFA with variations, crosses, good balle physics and the other, like Chris said : the bad one with a direct gameplay , no timeout, everything is badly scripted.

The fact is when i saw some gameplay videos and i played the game, it's really different. I don't know why, maybe there are more bugs on pc.

I have started a New career with Chelsea and i have so much fun. I have lost my third first matchs but with a realistic score like 1-0 or 2-1.
The last patch make my games even better because the CPU is more agressiv so more faults on the pitch.

I saw some really nice actions from CPU. FUMA is helping I think but I don't know why the gameplay is so bad for many people.
I think it comes down to what we value vs what annoys us most in the experience. I can see some things that 23 does that are really brilliant, but I can also see how there's some issues that would annoy people to the point of not even being able to get that far long to properly enjoy them.

I kind of just look at the game to see if it's going to have a solid enough base to work with regarding mods. 21 for example was so broken in my opinion that no amount of modding was going to fix it. I felt like this at the beginning of 23, but to it's credit (and the people who saw more) I feel it's come a decent way to the point where it has that solid base to work with.

I think it comes down to what we value vs what annoys us most in the experience. I can see some things that 23 does that are really brilliant, but I can also see how there's some issues that would annoy people to the point of not even being able to get that far long to properly enjoy them.

I kind of just look at the game to see if it's going to have a solid enough base to work with regarding mods. 21 for example was so broken in my opinion that no amount of modding was going to fix it. I felt like this at the beginning of 23, but to it's credit (and the people who saw more) I feel it's come a decent way to the point where it has that solid base to work with.
Yes i'm speaking about an overall experience. If the bad is too bad you can't play the game even if there are some good stuff.
I didn't force myself to make some games.

I really understand people who are hating this game when i saw there gameplays. FIFA 23 could be very very bad, with crazy UFO physics, epileptic gamespeed, stupid IA.

But I have the chance to play FUMA with my own sliders, adapted to my style and my definition of a footy game. Everything is not ok but in career mode with United or Marseille, i have some very nice moments. If the game looks shit, I couldn't play it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom