FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I was curious as a lot of people are talking about how much this update has changed things. I can't really see it too much tbh. I played Genoa v Bari as here to see how it goes, fully manual as always & this was the result View attachment 209369

It's just so weird how the experiences differ.

But I play semi assisted, with full manual I probably would have an xG rating of 0.3 or something like that. :LOL:

This patch has fixed the gameplay again. Previous patch it was fast, pinpoint passing, end to end stuff. They’ve slowed it back down a bit now and the variety is back from the cpu.

they also fixed the passing. Chip/lob wasn’t working as intended and was more of a mid height affair, now the lobbed ball is back. Also the passes on manual are not as guided as they felt in the last patch.

This patch has fixed the gameplay again. Previous patch it was fast, pinpoint passing, end to end stuff. They’ve slowed it back down a bit now and the variety is back from the cpu.

they also fixed the passing. Chip/lob wasn’t working as intended and was more of a mid height affair, now the lobbed ball is back. Also the passes on manual are not as guided as they felt in the last patch.
Yes the gameplay is slower after the update and the Cpu made more crosses. More agressiv tackles too. The GK made more natural saves and less big mistakes.

I post only some nice examples, don't kick me Chris😅

Last edited:
Yes the gameplay is slower after the update and the Cpu made more crosses. More agressiv tackles too. The GK made more natural saves and less big mistakes.

I post only some nices examples, don't kick me Chris😅
Ah, Leicester City has no sponsor. I've never thought about different regions having different kits before. Is online trading classed as gambling in some regions?

I've been really enjoying this game online in seasons, I like playing the real world teams & it is a lot more fun playing against a human. I'm not that great at this game so scoring and even winning against another human player is a thrilling feeling that I just don't get from the unchallenging and packed like sardines defenders offline.

I play with 4 star teams max and the variety of oppenants is so much greater than the usual cheap selections of playing against France or PSG every damn match.

I've been really enjoying this game online in seasons, I like playing the real world teams & it is a lot more fun playing against a human. I'm not that great at this game so scoring and even winning against another human player is a thrilling feeling that I just don't get from the unchallenging and packed like sardines defenders offline.

I play with 4 star teams max and the variety of oppenants is so much greater than the usual cheap selections of playing against France or PSG every damn match.
Plus: you have the awesome commentary pack…! 😂🥳

I tried again the game on my PS5 and really, I don’t know how some people are able to find it enjoyable (happy for them). I think this is just a matter of expectations, so the least improvement make people say “oh yeah the gameplay feels different”. Not gonna lie, my expectations were very low and what I’m seeing is not improving my impressions for sure.

I tried again the game on my PS5 and really, I don’t know how some people are able to find it enjoyable (happy for them). I think this is just a matter of expectations, so the least improvement make people say “oh yeah the gameplay feels different”. Not gonna lie, my expectations were very low and what I’m seeing is not improving my impressions for sure.
Yeah, there seems to be more foul play by EA than there are fouls during a whole career mode season! 😉

My problem with FIFA 23 is it never feels like a game of football. You never feel there is a tactical battle throughout a match, it's more "can your pacey attacker score after the opposition defenders part like the red sea".

Matches don't feel "clever" if that makes sense. It looks the part but it just doesn't give much satisfaction to play.

Last edited:
I booted up FIFA this morning for the first time in about two months, just to play a few Premier League exhibition games. Not wanting to mess about with any sliders, I used the default set and played under fairly standard settings (6 minute halves, slow speed & world class difficulty). Here are the results of those games:

Man United 6-1 Everton (AI)
Southampton (AI) 5-7 Man City
Liverpool (AI) 6-4 Arsenal

I’d previously stopped playing FIFA 23 due to the overpowered attack/underpowered defence, though I’d still be able to keep clean sheets or concede few goals against the AI. Returning to it today, the issues appear exacerbated to the point where defending just feels broken. In no particular order, you have:

• Backlines which don’t defend as a unit
• CM’s failing to pick up opposition runs into the box
• Very high lines with no pressure applied by midfielders (allowing easy through balls)
• Zero tracking back from wide players/AM’s
• All AI controlled players on your team literally just standing around when defending, showing no alertness or intelligence whatsoever
•Loose defending when jockeying in and around the box, making it feel like I’m at the whims of the AI attackers

At this stage, I get the impression that the above are deliberate design choices from AI, in order to get end-to-end games with tonnes of goals. This doesn’t bode well for the future of the series, unless EA use the rebranding as an opportunity to implement a simulation mode, where AI defending is ‘switched on’ essentially.

I booted up FIFA this morning for the first time in about two months, just to play a few Premier League exhibition games. Not wanting to mess about with any sliders, I used the default set and played under fairly standard settings (6 minute halves, slow speed & world class difficulty). Here are the results of those games:

I’d previously stopped playing FIFA 23 due to the overpowered attack/underpowered defence, though I’d still be able to keep clean sheets or concede few goals against the AI. Returning to it today, the issues appear exacerbated to the point where defending just feels broken. In no particular order, you have:

• Very high lines with no pressure applied by midfielders (allowing easy through balls)
• All AI controlled players on your team literally just standing around when defending, showing no alertness or intelligence whatsoever
•Loose defending when jockeying in and around the box, making it feel like I’m at the whims of the AI attackers

At this stage, I get the impression that the above are deliberate design choices from AI, in order to get end-to-end games with tonnes of goals. This doesn’t bode well for the future of the series, unless EA use the rebranding as an opportunity to implement a simulation mode, where AI defending is ‘switched on’ essentially.
There will never be a simulation mode associated alongside EA sports I guess, since this game mechanics are intended to work this way and voluntary implemented by devs.

My son plays fifa from time to time he's 7 and loves it for this reason, hey dad just beat whoever 8 nil and mbappe scores 6 etc..I bought a steam deck for myself and play football life 1080 on big TV and never looked back

I can't deal with that hence why I'm still on pes 2021 with updated option file.

This game isn't designed to accomplish any of that when playing default sliders. You have to lower the line length significantly to start, then adjust the sprint/acc values to ensure players are a bit more lively.

This game isn't designed to accomplish any of that when playing default sliders. You have to lower the line length significantly to start, then adjust the sprint/acc values to ensure players are a bit more lively.
Unfortunately as its been patched more and more , this is progressive from one late patch in 22 where the managed to get it really good, the ball travelling through body parts is now.horrific and once you see it close up.in a replay goals mean nothing. Add to that the insane body moment to enable.a pass and the games beyond sliders

Since the beta, FIFA 23 is a fest goal footy game by default. It's a game for every kind of gamers who didn't want realism but only to score again, and again and again.

Only with sliders, you can forces some logical AI actions like crosses, made some tackles, etc... It should be by default but it isn't, and that the big problem of the game : the basics of football are not activated by defaut, you have to forces its.

But when it worked correctly, FIFA 23 is really a nice football game. But with the end of FIFA contract, the focus is on EAFC 24, and some very bad bugs are still in like bad contacts between players and ball, quick animations to change our foot for shooting, etc...

I hope you can find on the internet some sliders who will bring you a better overall experience.

I just played FIFA 23 unmodded and mother of god, the game is terrible. I can't believe this is the same game I am enjoying with gameplay mods. I feel very bad for console players that are stuck with this garbage default gameplay. Sliders only help to a certain extent.

100%.

The defects in the defensive side of the game are still fecking glaring. I have played around with sliders a bit to see if this can at least take the edge off it but it remains a really frustrating game to play so I can't be bothered (although I do keep testing after each patch like a Pavlov Dog...). Its just an absurd game, manufactured by a company that has zero motivation to correct its obvious problems.

The "challenge" of this game is to try and outscore the AI - I only really play Career Mode - and keep your cool when you cop goals due to braindead defending. It really doesn't matter that much how you set up, what tactics you deploy or what direction you give your players. It doesn't translate into anything that you see them do on the pitch. Just lines of players that the AI passes through to get from one side of the pitch to the other as quick as possible before dicking around with the ball glued to their feet around your penalty box before, usually, getting a shot off at goal.

The thing is, i do usually outscore the AI as, as long as you don't hammer the sprint trigger and keep possession, you can carve out 3-4 times more chances than the AI (although you really have to do this as, playing on Legendary, the AI only needs 5-6 shots to score 3+ goals). Every game feels like a repeat of the last. A totally soulless experience.

I'm pleased for anyone who can derive any pleasure from playing this game but, for me, it remains shit on a stick.

I just played FIFA 23 unmodded and mother of god, the game is terrible. I can't believe this is the same game I am enjoying with gameplay mods. I feel very bad for console players that are stuck with this garbage default gameplay. Sliders only help to a certain extent.
I agree than FIFA 23 by default is horrible, it's a fact. But I have both versions : PC and PS5/Xbox Series X and the console version no need mod to be playable but the right sliders can help a lot. I saw many gameplays of pc version modded of FIFA 23 and what I saw on the pitch is no very different than PS5/Xbox Series X version.

Maybe the stuff is sometimes better but AI reacted the same way than consoles version.
A lot of people used the same sliders from OS so with the big difference on accélération could be a major issue.

If you play on Legendary on pc you can slow down the efficience of the Cpu on goal with a mod, without major bugs but I didn't see many differences between the two versions.

When i read than the ball is sticking to our foot, on FUMA it's not the case, even on console.

For having the best conditions to play FIFA , you have to :

- Be a FUMA player (less script than FUTO and semi)
- normal speed, because slow speed has issues
- acceleration between 46 and 50 for cpu and you
-GK around 70
-halftime of 8 minutes or highter
- tactical defense ( more freedom but harder to master)
- no analogic acceleration enable (more bugs with it)

FIFA is like a chess game : a good placement of your team mates could have a huge impact on the CPU reactions.

I have made about 500 games on FIFA 23 on consoles on career mode.

I agree than FIFA 23 by default is horrible, it's a fact. But I have both versions : PC and PS5/Xbox Series X and the console version no need mod to be playable but the right sliders can help a lot. I saw many gameplays of pc version modded of FIFA 23 and what I saw on the pitch is no very different than PS5/Xbox Series X version.

Maybe the stuff is sometimes better but AI reacted the same way than consoles version.
A lot of people used the same sliders from OS so with the big difference on accélération could be a major issue.

If you play on Legendary on pc you can slow down the efficience of the Cpu on goal with a mod, without major bugs but I didn't see many differences between the two versions.

When i read than the ball is sticking to our foot, on FUMA it's not the case, even on console.

For having the best conditions to play FIFA , you have to :

- Be a FUMA player (less script than FUTO and semi)
- normal speed, because slow speed has issues
- acceleration between 46 and 50 for cpu and you
-GK around 70
-halftime of 8 minutes or highter
- tactical defense ( more freedom but harder to master)
- no analogic acceleration enable (more bugs with it)

FIFA is like a chess game : a good placement of your team mates could have a huge impact on the CPU reactions.

I have made about 500 games on FIFA 23 on consoles on career mode.
IMG_1461.gif

😉

Sorry but there’s only one way you are getting those scores and that’s on assisted or semi assisted settings. And before people wheel on me, if you play on anything other than manual every shot you have will be more or less on target hence higher scores. The ai tweaks to the settings you make.

The ai tweaks to the settings you make.
I have it on good authority that it doesn't (yet). Take that however you like and obviously you can disagree, but I wouldn't butt in if I hadn't heard it from the horse's mouth. I asked about this within the last six months because I'd always wondered.

As for manual v assisted, I always come back to the thought that PES5 didn't need fully manual controls to feature misplaced passes and off-target shots - but I accept it's a little bit like comparing apples with oranges. FIFA is the way it is, and if you can get it playing the way you want it to (using manual or otherwise) then that's a big win considering what it's like by default!

Last edited:
I have it on good authority that it doesn't (yet). Take that however you like and obviously you can disagree, but I wouldn't butt in if I hadn't heard it from the horse's mouth. I asked about this a little while ago, because I'd always wondered. But it may do in the future.
Hmm well I’ve been playing about with controller settings. I have everything manual except for through ball and crossing which are both on semi. With those both on the cpu on professional is a bit more direct and make less errors. When I’ve been turning them both to manual, and especially through ball the cpu is less direct and make more errors. It’s as if the game detects that you are no longer being ‘assisted’ and so the ai is changed as a result.

Im not saying you are wrong btw, that’s just been my impression.

I play 5 minute halves, exhibition games and in the 6 months have had it have never had high scoring games against professional difficulty. Cpu is leading 154 to 107 with the rest draws.

tbf I think FIFA on assisted or all semi settings is a waste of time and will just cause you as the player to get frustrated and bored.

my ten year old nephew can comfortably beat me when playing on assisted and myself on manual about 7-0.

Hmm well I’ve been playing about with controller settings. I have everything manual except for through ball and crossing which are both on semi. With those both on the cpu on professional is a bit more direct and make less errors. When I’ve been turning them both to manual, and especially through ball the cpu is less direct and make more errors. It’s as if the game detects that you are no longer being ‘assisted’ and so the ai is changed as a result.

Im not saying you are wrong btw, that’s just been my impression.

I ply 5 minute halves, exhibition games and in the 6 months have had it have never had high scoring games against professional difficulty. Coy is leading 154 to 107 with the rest draws.

tbf I think FIFA on assisted or all semi settings is a waste of time and will just cause you as the player to get frustrated and bored.

my ten year old nephew can comfortably beat me when playing on assisted and myself in manual about 7-0.
Yeah I know your posts from the last few years as we've agreed on quite a lot, and I totally trust your opinion, so I'm sure what you're describing is right - I'd imagine the change in play from the AI is based around your style of play being different with one setting versus another (i.e. if I play on manual I can't get it to the striker within 10 seconds, whereas I can on anything else, and therefore on manual you're giving the AI time to get back and possibly giving it more time on the ball yourself due to a more laid back, less frantic game in comparison).

So whether the AI is purposefully nerfing itself or not, I guess playing on manual is still making a difference - I just A) absolutely suck at it and B) think it takes away from being able to play slick, fast, accurate passing moves in situations where you would be able to in real-life.

The PC mods do miracles when it comes to pretty much everything - big shout out to those guys - and it proves just how much potential there is in the engine. I want to love it like you wouldn't believe... If only there was a "disable 1v1 focus and allow all AI players to track / mark / defend on their own" switch, I think it'd change everything. Until then, well, I'll keep crying / tagging EA in videos and hoping simulator fans will get a big leg-up one day soon.

Yeah I know your posts from the last few years as we've agreed on quite a lot, and I totally trust your opinion, so I'm sure what you're describing is right - I'd imagine the change in play from the AI is based around your style of play being different with one setting versus another (i.e. if I play on manual I can't get it to the striker within 10 seconds, whereas I can on anything else, and therefore on manual you're giving the AI time to get back and possibly giving it more time on the ball yourself due to a more laid back, less frantic game in comparison).

So whether the AI is purposefully nerfing itself or not, I guess playing on manual is still making a difference - I just A) absolutely suck at it and B) think it takes away from being able to play slick, fast, accurate passing moves in situations where you would be able to in real-life.

The PC mods do miracles when it comes to pretty much everything - big shout out to those guys - and it proves just how much potential there is in the engine. I want to love it like you wouldn't believe... If only there was a "disable 1v1 focus and allow all AI players to track / mark / defend on their own" switch, I think it'd change everything. Until then, well, I'll keep crying / tagging EA in videos and hoping simulator fans will get a big leg-up one day soon.
Not tried any pc mods yet, need to look into that especially for missing teams.

I’ve been livid at FIFA but really like 23. I bought it on sale on pc for modding and I got a cheap physical version for non patched if they ever leave us with a ruined update.

I really can’t see myself playing any other games next year. I hate the thought of online footy games it just promotes cheating and corner cutting play.

Back
Top Bottom