[General Discussion] What have you been playing this week?

I got Marvel's Midnight Suns on sale and I'm really impressed. First of all, I'm not a fan of Marvel, I don't even know the heroes tbh, I don't have a clue who is who and their stories except maybe Spiderman. 😀
Thing is I'm a huge turn-based combat fan. I've played almost every turn-based game that exists over 3 decades. My favourite is still Silent Storm.
The game is an exceptional breed of turn-based combat, cards, deck building, upgrading and social interactions (like Persona 5 a bit). I have a bad feeling it won't sell well but it's totally worth it so far. It's really sad most of the new generation gamers don't like turn-based games and they just want mindless action.

I got Marvel's Midnight Suns on sale and I'm really impressed. First of all, I'm not a fan of Marvel, I don't even know the heroes tbh, I don't have a clue who is who and their stories except maybe Spiderman. 😀
Thing is I'm a huge turn-based combat fan. I've played almost every turn-based game that exists over 3 decades. My favourite is still Silent Storm.
The game is an exceptional breed of turn-based combat, cards, deck building, upgrading and social interactions (like Persona 5 a bit). I have a bad feeling it won't sell well but it's totally worth it so far. It's really sad most of the new generation gamers don't like turn-based games and they just want mindless action.
Good to know its been on my radar for. a while and just waiting for it to go down a but in price. Are you finding it hard?

Good to know its been on my radar for. a while and just waiting for it to go down a but in price. Are you finding it hard?
So far it's well balanced as I'm still locked at normal difficulty. Other difficulties become available as you progress and this is a huge, long game with over 70h of campaign. As I said I'm a veteran of turn-based games so I don't know if others less experienced with this kind of games will find it too complex. Because there are cards involved you need to plan ahead and think of the possible outcomes of at least 3 turns including enemies movements. It's like chess. There also environmental attacks you can do.
Do you like chess, cards? If the answer is yes I'd say buy it now at £33. It might drop down to around £20 in a few months because they'll start releasing DLC so they will try to lure more people getting the base game.

So far it's well balanced as I'm still locked at normal difficulty. Other difficulties become available as you progress and this is a huge, long game with over 70h of campaign. As I said I'm a veteran of turn-based games so I don't know if others less experienced with this kind of games will find it too complex. Because there are cards involved you need to plan ahead and think of the possible outcomes of at least 3 turns including enemies movements. It's like chess. There also environmental attacks you can do.
Do you like chess, cards? If the answer is yes I'd say buy it now at £33. It might drop down to around £20 in a few months because they'll start releasing DLC so they will try to lure more people getting the base game.

I do like card games if you mean things like Slay the Spire, Neoverse and Tainted Grail. I do like turn based RPGs as well, loved XCOM and Gears Tactics but couldnt finish XCOM 2. Even though I like them I am not too good at them so I also need something a bit easier.
At the moment Im not dying to play t and can hold off a few months while price drops but its def my next go to game to get. Gameplay videos look like something up my alley

Got Fallout 76 cos it was free and I've played it non stop since Saturday.

Love Fallout and this is decent as it allows me and my lad to play together.

Some throwback week for me.
Pes 17. NBA 2K17.
GTA San Andreas (original) and my very first go at Far Cry 3, brilliant game, those who hail as the best in the series arent wrong

Aside from all my PES stories, I've been playing Oriental Empires. :) Love this kind of strategy game, set in Ancient China. One thing I love about this one is that it is completely set in the era, so the technology stays up to before the Medieval Age. :)

Diablo 2 Resurrected. Bought it when it came out, had some warm feelings of nostalgia, played a few hours and forgot it. But two weeks ago I went back to it and played it massively. Now I'm in Act V and will kick Baal's ass soon.

Besides that some FIFA 23 and NHL 23.

Iv been playing some great psychological horror games of late, been playing visage, soma, tormented souls, but that visage tho most intense game iv ever played.

Last edited:
This is not so much of a what have you been playing, but more of a WSIB.
Lately I have been trying out hack and slash games.

What Im looking for is more hack and slash games with good combat. Something like Elden Ring combat. I really liked Sekiro but that sh*t is too hard. Same with Nioh 2, but again those games are a bit frustrating for me.

I love the combat in those games (and nioh 2 with the loot aspect), but at the same time for me I'm not in the mood for "it took me 483 tries and 234 hours to kill a boss, but in the end, it was so satisfying."
I need a "chill" normal difficulty hack n slash game preferably 3rd person. I bought DMC5 and its enjoyable, so something like that.

Ghost of Tsushima is something that seems exactly what I'm looking for, something that makes me feel like a badass just slicing and dicing, but I dont have a PS and waiting for damn Sony to release on PC.....

I really want to get into Nioh but dont want to put the hours and the stress to get good at it

Ghost of Tsushima is something that seems exactly what I'm looking for, something that makes me feel like a badass just slicing and dicing, but I dont have a PS and waiting for damn Sony to release on PC...
I was going to say Tsushima before I even got to that point.
Combat in it was amazing. Its quite complex as well. Different stances and moves when you unlock them are making it into a lovely death dance.

Its hard to find a good hack&slash with a decent story. Im currently hammering Witcher and getting proper into it. Maybe new update of Witcher?
I know some people were giving out about a combat there, but I have no idea what their issue is with it.

Apart from Tsushima and Witcher only "new" Assassins Creeds come to mind(?)

Also - keep an eye on Crimson Desert.
It should be out this year.
This is one Im waiting for!

Combat in it was amazing. Its quite complex as well. Different stances and moves when you unlock them are making it into a lovely death dance.

Its hard to find a good hack&slash with a decent story. Im currently hammering Witcher and getting proper into it. Maybe new update of Witcher?
I know some people were giving out about a combat there, but I have no idea what their issue is with it.

Witcher 3 combat is great especially if you compare it to Witcher 2 which was a roll simulation.
New AC games combat doesn't feel tight and it's not heavy enough for me. I haven't tried Valhalla though.
Got Lost Judgement a couple of days ago and the combat is good and quite complex with stances.

Thanks Ill check Crimson desert out. Ive tried a couple of times to get into the witcher, I might give it another go with the next gen update, the combat was alright when I tried it, I know a big part of the witcher 3 appeal is the story but im ashamed to share that I almost never know what the hell is going on games as I just skip cutscenes. I might end up in the final boss not knowing why I have to kill him....
I also am planning on going back to AC Origins, I need to finish it, really like it , and combat is nice to sneak behind and deathblow them.

Witcher 3 combat is great especially if you compare it to Witcher 2 which was a roll simulation.
New AC games combat doesn't feel tight and it's not heavy enough for me. I haven't tried Valhalla though.
Got Lost Judgement a couple of days ago and the combat is good and quite complex with stances.

Lost Judgement and Judgement are something Im going to look into as well. Seems they have good reviews.

I know a big part of the witcher 3 appeal is the story but im ashamed to share that I almost never know what the hell is going on games as I just skip cutscenes. I might end up in the final boss not knowing why I have to kill him....
:LOL: Fair enough!
One of the strongest points of this game are dialogs and story. If you are only interested in combat - you were right to leave it alone. The whole experience is carried by its characters and its a huge game. You would just get lost and frustrated if you cant immerse yourself in it.

Finally got GTA 4 working on PC, played it on both 360 and Xb1 before, but graphics were shite.
to me this is the best GTA by a mile, yeah SA is great but this is the best to me.
love it.
and Far Cry 3

I have just started the chapter 5 of rdr2.

I have also installed and started elden ring. Quite disappointed that the game doesn't support more than 60fps. Graphics are not as beautiful as I expected. I guess rdr2 has set the bar really high.

I've been playing through Axiom Verge 2 this week as it's the latest free game on PS+.

Haven't played the first game though I heard it had was a huge success, grew a large cult following and most impressively was created by one man; Coding, art assists and music!

AV2 is pretty good so far, not usually fond of Metroidvanias unless they're well paced and have simple mechanics (Iconoclausts was also famously a one man project, is also a masterpiece but can get a bit convoluted gameplay wise) but this game is just that, simple, intuitive and somewhat addictive.

What I love most about this is that it's old school exploration and learning at it's finest. The game doesn't tell you much of anything and you learn what certain things in the enviroment do or what certain enemies strenghts and weaknesses are through good old fashioned curiosity, trial and error. When you actually progress into a new area, unlock a new power up or beat a boss, the game makes you feel so damn smart because you did it alone, no hints or popups giving away the secret before you get the chance to solve it yourself.

The music is badass too.

Still banging GTA IV now modded and i luv it.
thinking about maybe getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly, anyone with experience with that?

There was a discussion few weeks ago in some other topic about red dead 2 and shows similar/close to it. Few guys suggested a Netflix show called 1886 or whatever its called an gave it a bash. Forced myself to watch few episodes until i had to scrap it. Irked that someone here could suggest such a bum show that i wasted my time on, expected better from my fellow pes lovers.

Unless someone is a huge fan of old pc game Oregon trail, anyone suggesting 1886 over Godless is taking the piss, especially if you finished playing RDR 2, each to their own I guess. If HBOs Last of us is based on the original game then Godless is closet to red dead redemption. (No spoilers dont worry guys).

I wont waste my time on explaining why 1886 is weak compared to Godless but ill tell you in brief why you wont regret your time spent watching Godless.
Brilliant cinematography, every shot is a picturesque art, amazing soundtrack, gripping story (worked all night writing a paper and decided to watch it now im am awake binge watching because the story so far just sucks you in), amazing acting, great details and production value, from interiors to building an entire Western town, they nailed it on point. It has its general wokeness like every other netflix show but it is eased into us with carefully crafted character/place backstories that sell itself very well, even the jokes are matured and relatable, very reminiscent of the last iteration of Red dead.

Sorry for going off topic and i just cant help bashing 1886 because it is at most, a very average series compare to Godless, coming from a Red dead fan.

Last edited:
Think you mean 1883, which a lot of others really liked... Are you sure you watched the right thing? 1899 is a weird sci-fi thing that was really aggressively marketed to me on every social media network and as a result, I hate it (without ever having seen it)...
1883 is the one yup, i didnt hate it per say, but i had to drag myself through few episodes thinking it'd pick up, which it didnt. Godless however just drew me in. Proper flow that is constantly engaging. I am a Western aficionado and Godless compared to 1883 is an absolute gem. I went in blind thinking it be another one of those modern take on Western but it took me by surprise, kept reminding me of rdr 2 constanlty. If people jumped to play rdr 2 after watching 1883 then i dunno what Godless would do to them.

It's bizarre how the Tango devs and Bethesda released probably the best game of the year without any marketing. They just went on and released out of nowhere a potential GOTY 2023. I'm talking about Hi FI Rush. Well done Tango. There's still hope in videogaming.

It's bizarre how the Tango devs and Bethesda released probably the best game of the year without any marketing. They just went on and released out of nowhere a potential GOTY 2023. I'm talking about Hi FI Rush. Well done Tango. There's still hope in videogaming.
I tried it on gamepass and I just can't hit the rhythm right. There might just be to much delay on the TV, I'm not much of a rhythm games player. But really nice looking game.

I love the combat in those games (and nioh 2 with the loot aspect), but at the same time for me I'm not in the mood for "it took me 483 tries and 234 hours to kill a boss, but in the end, it was so satisfying."

I take it back, I stuck with Nioh 2 for a while and was able to advance the first boss (and second and third and so on....) after dying a few (More than a few) times... Its always, "ok I can beat him". Its weird bc I am not good at these games and would usually rather play Story mode difficulty, but this one has kinda clicked.

Really enjoying the game and crossing fingers I dont hit a wall at some point. Now I'm really looking forward to WuLong next month from the same devs. And please Sony announce GoT for the PC soon...

I just bought this on steam and can't wait to try it!! :BSCARF: :BSCARF:

Ill give this a try, seems the controller inputs are really optimized. I enjoyed AoE4 on the PC but nothing like the comfort of couch and controller so hopefully they implement good controls for this and the eventual release on the xbox

Back
Top Bottom