PC Gaming

EA Play App really is a load of shite and good job I can still use Origin.

I found my issue with the App and it will only let me add certain games to my collection in order for me to download them.
Why only some and not others?? I don't know.

It seems most I add work, but F1 and Bf2042 I just can't download so guess I am only playing them until they retire Origin.

How to add game keys on EA App? The option seems to be completely missing. How will I buy and add games now?!

How do I redeem a game on EA app?
Once you've redeemed your code, your game will appear in your account.
Redeem your Product Code in your EA Account Settings

Go to myaccount.ea.com.
Click on the Redeem Product Code tab.
Type in your Product Code, then click Next.

Still undecided about the whole DDR5 or DDR4 thing but starting to put the builds together in Amazon:

DDR 4:

DDR4.jpg

DDR 5:

DDR5.jpg

Between the two options of Motherboard/RAM I'd probably go for the cheapest option just wanted to put both in there in advance of Black Friday to see if either changes significantly :)

Since you're buying a new system, I would personally get the DDR5 build.
The only reason, I didn't go DDR5 last year was due to the huge cost of the RAM, but DDR5 is very similar price to DDR4 now anyway.

I would also pay the extra 40E to get a Z690 or Z790 board over the B660 boards, as the performance is normally better with these boards.

Found something interesting online from Digital Foundry.

The power difference between a PS5 and a 4090GPU - I know one costs 4x the price, but you also get 4x the performance.
But also draws in the reality of just what kind of beast Nvidia produced.

3-A5261-C6-9165-43-F1-A0-B9-96-BA0-BC33-EFF.jpg

Found something interesting online from Digital Foundry.

The power difference between a PS5 and a 4090GPU - I know one costs 4x the price, but you also get 4x the performance.
But also draws in the reality of just what kind of beast Nvidia produced.

3-A5261-C6-9165-43-F1-A0-B9-96-BA0-BC33-EFF.jpg
Can't wait for the Xbox Series Z...

IMO, it would be a much fairer comparison if you added the prices of other parts such as CPU, M/B, SSD, RAM, Power Supply and etc... to the 4090 side, for without them a 4090 itself can't do anything, whereas PS5 can do, @bsmaff
It was more to show what an absolutely amazing bit of engineering the 4090 is rather than the price comparison.

IMO, it would be a much fairer comparison if you added the prices of other parts such as CPU, M/B, SSD, RAM, Power Supply and etc... to the 4090 side, for without them a 4090 itself can't do anything, whereas PS5 can do, @bsmaff

Where I live, it's still impossible to buy anything that has similar performance to Ps5 without spending 2-3x the price of the console unfortunately. At this point I'm thinking about just going for Ps5.

In fact, theoretically and reasonably speaking, there is no reason that the prices of the video gaming devices this high, there's no reason that the price of the electric goods made out of a piece of PCB board this high.
But in our life of reality, the industrialized scalpers who have huge amount of money used to cause the lack of the goods by sweeping and clearing almost of them as soon as they are released.
In the meantime, the manufacturers take advantage of this wrong situation. They now act like as if their products were masterpieces showing the stats of the sales and the scarcity at the moment.
For years have repeated and accumulated those irrationalities, and now we have a monstrous piece of PCB board costs you over $2500.

In fact, theoretically and reasonably speaking, there is no reason that the prices of the video gaming devices this high, there's no reason that the price of the electric goods made out of a piece of PCB board this high.
But in our life of reality, the industrialized scalpers who have huge amount of money used to cause the lack of the goods by sweeping and clearing almost of them as soon as they are released.
In the meantime, the manufacturers take advantage of this wrong situation. They now act like as if their products were masterpieces showing the stats of the sales and the scarcity at the moment.
For years have repeated and accumulated those irrationalities, and now we have a monstrous piece of PCB board costs you over $2500.
There is one reason why prices are this high and will most likely stay this high, people are willing to pay it.
Same with cars, why would you buy a Ferrari when a Hyundai i10 does exactly the same job.

Now that Nvidia know they can get away with charging £1700 for a GFX card they will continue to do so and people will continue to buy them if they offer the incredible jump in performance the 4000 series gives over the 3000 series.

There is obviously different cards for different budgets, like you can get a card with similar performance as a PS5 for £350.
Like wise if there was a £1000 PS5 which actually offered 60FPS in 4K instead of 30FPS without having to resort to dynamic resolution then I would buy it and I am sure millions more would too.

There is one reason why prices are this high and will most likely stay this high, people are willing to pay it.
Same with cars, why would you buy a Ferrari when a Hyundai i10 does exactly the same job.

Now that Nvidia know they can get away with charging £1700 for a GFX card they will continue to do so and people will continue to buy them if they offer the incredible jump in performance the 4000 series gives over the 3000 series.

There is obviously different cards for different budgets, like you can get a card with similar performance as a PS5 for £350.
Like wise if there was a £1000 PS5 which actually offered 60FPS in 4K instead of 30FPS without having to resort to dynamic resolution then I would buy it and I am sure millions more would too.

I'm not denying that Nvidia's are the best of the best of the best. Everyone knows that.
But you know GFX card isn't even an stand-alone goods but a component which can't work by itself.
As I said before, it's a PCB board lying under the huge coolers.
And it is nowhere near a masterpiece as it is produced massively by factory automation machines.
It won't take so long to make one like baking a bread.
Again I admit its performance is the best of the best of the best, but don't agree to the price considering its essense.

Also I'd like to make a point that I'm not againt you. Rich people like you can afford it and deserve it. That's great.
My opinion was more likely toward general people.

Im not sure about that. The 4090 sold not bad, but the 4080 is selling horrible. Even in America, the 4080 is selling very poorly.
The Card is so overpriced almost nobody is buying it.
Im glad i bought a used MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio 12GB last Month for 650€.

Im not sure about that. The 4090 sold not bad, but the 4080 is selling horrible. Even in America, the 4080 is selling very poorly.
The Card is so overpriced almost nobody is buying it.
Im glad i bought a used MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio 12GB last Month for 650€.

This is why people purchased the 4090.
The 4080 is such a terribly priced card it is ridiculous in the UK you can get a 4090 for only £150 more than the 4080 (Price of 3rd party cards).
So, the 4080 will never sell out, it sits in a very bad price gap - It needed to be a £900 max card.

TBH, the best card to buy at the moment IMO is the 3080 2nd hand, plenty now flooding the eBay market and they are cheap.
I was surprised when mine sold for only £540.

The 4080 is such a terribly priced card it is ridiculous in the UK you can get a 4090 for only £150 more than the 4080 (Price of 3rd party cards).
So, the 4080 will never sell out, it sits in a very bad price gap - It needed to be a £900 max card.
In Germany the price gap is a bit different. The cheapest 4090 costs about 2200€ and the cheapest 4080 costs about 1500€.
There is a price gap, but still nobody gets a 4080 😅

In Germany the price gap is a bit different. The cheapest 4090 costs about 2200€ and the cheapest 4080 costs about 1500€.
There is a price gap, but still nobody gets a 4080 😅
Ok, the 4080 prices in the UK have dropped by quite a few hundred since launch day.
Clearly profiteering for the retailers hasn't worked and they can't sell any.
4080's are £1300 in the UK.
4090's are £2000.

Amazing what difference a couple of weeks make - I actually got lucky by bagging one on launch day for MSRP (£1699) when my card is now selling for £1979 on all retailers.
Clearly demand for the cards is still high and retailers are cashing in.
But situation is not as bad as on the 3080 launch when MSI were actually scalping their own cards on their eBay shop.

Had to cancel the RAM and change it as I realised that in my haste to find the best price I'd ordered incompatible RAM (you'd have thought the AMD in the name of it was a big enough clue! ;) )

Ended up with this one, bit slower but was on quite the good sale:

ram.jpg

Oh, this is a nice little thread. I'll join in :)

So this year I switched from nvidia RTX2070 to amd RX 6750 XT (which are fairly similar in online reviews, the RX6750 slightly better). It was a fairly noticeable change as my 3 monitors are FreeSync Premium. I've owned nvidia graphics card for most of my PC gaming history (about 24 years) and in my opinion, they are going badly downhill and costing a flipping fortune whilst doing it.

On top of that, I own a PS5. I don't care what any Digital Foundry FPS counter says, you will ALWAYS get better (noticeable!) performance (<< performance, not quality) on a £400 PS5 compared to any £2000 graphics card you buy. The one thing a console (apart from the awful XBOX Series S I had) does better than any PC is scale your resolution/quality, never have micro stutters and never RAM or OS hiccups.

For me, when I look at purchases, I always look at bang for buck. Paying 2000 for a graphics card gets you barely any improvement, unless, you own all the other hardware to help it do its thing. So you'd end up paying another 2000 for other parts too. That's not worth it, in my eyes. (remembering I am a family man with a house and kids to pay for too :D )

Feel free to burn me! :)

Also my current specs (I run every game maxed out on 1440, if I can)
MB: X470 Gaming Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (run it at 3.8-4.0 Ghz)
RAM: 32Gb DDR 4 @3600
Graphics: RX 6750 XT
Monitors: 2x Gigabyte 1440p (i forget the real name of it) with FreeSync Premium, 1x old ASUS 1080p
HDD: I have 5 "disks" in total. 2 M.2. 1SSD, 1 HDD

On top of that, I own a PS5. I don't care what any Digital Foundry FPS counter says, you will ALWAYS get better (noticeable!) performance (<< performance, not quality) on a £400 PS5 compared to any £2000 graphics card you buy. The one thing a console (apart from the awful XBOX Series S I had) does better than any PC is scale your resolution/quality, never have micro stutters and never RAM or OS hiccups.

For me, when I look at purchases, I always look at bang for buck. Paying 2000 for a graphics card gets you barely any improvement, unless, you own all the other hardware to help it do its thing. So you'd end up paying another 2000 for other parts too. That's not worth it, in my eyes. (remembering I am a family man with a house and kids to pay for too :D )
I somewhat agree with you. Consoles for me are very nice plug and play without hassles. Take it from someone who's pretty happy with a series S on my 1080p TV. Sometimes the incremental cost of a powerful rig might not be worth it for some ppl.

But I dont really agree that it would run "worse" than on a console. Also moneywise an expensive computer will last longer down the road vs a console. You can get a nice rig now and prob just need to upgrade the video card down the road. When this generation of consoles came out they were already"outdated" spec wise (although I agree with you that optimization matter less; just look at the games the ps4 can run in the final years of its lifetime, they look great for a 2013 console. But it won't run better than even al older pc)

Both are great and i really prefer to game on ny series s than on my pc which still runs games great.

Also keep in mind when you get a pc you get a more versatile machine, not just a gaming platform.

Also keep in mind when you get a pc you get a more versatile machine, not just a gaming platform.
You are slightly missing my point. I am a software dev by day, gamer by night. So yes, my PC does lots more than be a gaming PC. The 32gb of RAM and hard drives are actually for my software dev more than gaming.

If you put the grand total of my PC together right now, its around 1k. My PS5 cost £450. Total to 1500 for argument sakes. Thats still less than 1 expensive graphics card without all the other parts.

Also moneywise an expensive computer will last longer down the road vs a console.
That's not entirely true for recent times. Consoles run for years, the PS4 lasted (and still going for some games) for 7/8 years. And my PS5 will run for another 5-7 years. So my grand total of £900 is easily going to last 14 years over needing to buy a new 1k to 2k graphics card seemingly ever 3-5 years. I think in that time I have replaced my graphics card 3, maybe 4 times. That just my graphics card! :D

I am by no way a console loving guy but you cannot suggest that consoles are more expensive than a PC, no matter how you spin it. It was on par back in the day (20 years ago) but these days. Consoles are almost always the best way to game, unless you are obsessed with modding like I am. I also prefer First Person Shooters and group games (Discord & Parsec ftw!) on PC, where as I prefer the console for story driven or family games.

Back
Top Bottom