PC Gaming

The ASUS primes are good motherboard.
Unfortunately, like everything motherboard prices have got silly.
Few years ago £250 would buy you a top end board, now £250 buys you a lower mid range board.

I am surprised by how expensive boards have got every year, especially when upgrading - My board was £330 for my Intel and ASUS want £400 for the Z790 equivalent.

I personally am still on DDR4, as DD5 prices last year were ridiculous.
So, it will be another couple of years or so before I upgrade to DDR5.

I personally am still on DDR4, as DD5 prices last year were ridiculous.
So, it will be another couple of years or so before I upgrade to DDR5.

I thought the price for the 32gb of DDR5 was decent but I might go with DDR4 if there's no Black Friday deals on a compatible motherboard. I'd prefer Asus Prime as it's what I have and it's what the wife got for her new build.

laptop.jpg

Wondering if I could get any feedback on the Ryzen 9 and 3050, particularly if this laptop will get really hot while playing.

This was on sale the other day for $1,199 and now isn't 😒, so I will wait for the next deal. I don't game outside of PES/FIFA/FM, and older versions mostly of those at that, so I don't need the latest and greatest in hardware. I'm not looking for a long battery life, either, as it will be plugged in most of the time. Just some casual gaming, productivity and video calls, and nothing heavy like a Legion.

Last edited:
View attachment 185583

Wondering if I could get any feedback on the Ryzen 9 and 3050, particularly if this laptop will get really hot while playing.

This was on sale the other day for $1,199 and now isn't 😒, so I will wait for the next deal. I don't game outside of PES/FIFA/FM, and older versions mostly of those at that, so I don't need the latest and greatest in hardware. I'm not looking for a long battery life, either, as it will be plugged in most of the time. Just some casual gaming, productivity and video calls, and nothing heavy like a Legion.

Kinda hard to say, especially in this forum to find someone who had experience with this specific computer. Usually in my experience those slim computers do tend to get a bit warm under stress. I think you would have better luck googling people who bought it (dont know if in this forum someone will give you proper impressions) or reviews / comments from the web. On another note, I did buy a Lenovo (although around 5-6 years ago) and the experience was pretty crappy quality wise. Could be this one fares batter if its a more premium product line, but it just left a bad impression on build quality. Again, check reviews, and if they are good and you get a deal, make sure you get a good return policy.

@bsmaff any thoughts on the new AMD Cards? 7900XT vs Nvidia (price to performance ratio... and size)

@bsmaff any thoughts on the new AMD Cards? 7900XT vs Nvidia (price to performance ratio... and size)

Hard to say at the moment.
AMD gave no information other than it will be 1.5x - 1.7x faster.
But absolutely no details were given in regard to settings or anything.

So will have to wait for reviews to become available in December, but Linus predicted they will only be about 10% slower than the 4090 at nearly half the cost.

Kinda hard to say, especially in this forum to find someone who had experience with this specific computer. Usually in my experience those slim computers do tend to get a bit warm under stress. I think you would have better luck googling people who bought it (dont know if in this forum someone will give you proper impressions) or reviews / comments from the web. On another note, I did buy a Lenovo (although around 5-6 years ago) and the experience was pretty crappy quality wise. Could be this one fares batter if its a more premium product line, but it just left a bad impression on build quality. Again, check reviews, and if they are good and you get a deal, make sure you get a good return policy.

Thanks. The reviews for the computer overall are really good, and it's not a gaming laptop, but it can game a bit. I like Lenovo's products but I definitely want to buy this one at Costco because it's cheaper, but also they have a great return policy. If you don't like it, you can bring it back within 90 days, whereas with Lenovo, you'll be lucky to reach customer service

Thanks. The reviews for the computer overall are really good, and it's not a gaming laptop, but it can game a bit. I like Lenovo's products but I definitely want to buy this one at Costco because it's cheaper, but also they have a great return policy. If you don't like it, you can bring it back within 90 days, whereas with Lenovo, you'll be lucky to reach customer service

If its Costco wait for Black Friday, try it and def try it out. It looks pretty good in the reviews so def keep an eye out and test drive it

I would never ever get a 4090(cannot afford it TBH) as long as Nvidia don't provide a fire extinguisher as a bundle.
You should put one aside your PC if you are using a 4090. It's not a joke.

I would never ever get a 4090(cannot afford it TBH) as long as Nvidia don't provide a fire extinguisher as a bundle.

The 4090 cables catching fire is another thing being blown out of proportion, as there is a couple of pictures online.
If catching fire was a thing there would be videos all over the net of them actually catching fire - Like the Dell laptops from 10 years ago.

Some of the 150W cables which were shipped with cards have issues depending on how they are soldered.
There are a very low number of cards which were shipped with the 150W cables, with most being shipped with 300W cables (like mine)

It has been covered widely by many Youtubers as it helps generate clicks and content.

Last edited:
Reactions: esk
Well, I'd never ever get one of those either (neve in my life I'll have that money to spend on a video card, honestly) but the cables/connectors cathing fire, well... I don't expect it being that common.
By the way I got a SATA connector catch fire and melt once myself but it's not like I ditched SATA disks altogether (or that particular brand/model or SATA disk, either).

It's also true that I'll never buy a Ducati Panigale V4 in my life, tho (but that's just because I'm poor, not because one of them catched fire once).

I don't want to discourage anyone buying a 4090. I don't even need to do that.
It would be not so much annoying or expensive to put a extinguisher near a 4090 just in case.
Safey first! That's what I tried to tell.
300W cable? I don't think it's enough for the safety.

Quick question, if you've bought a motherboard and RAM which shows as compatible with each other and you flashed to the latest BIOS is there any simple reason why it would keep booting into safe mode when you choose XMP for the RAM and it's showing the correct settings?

Quick question, if you've bought a motherboard and RAM which shows as compatible with each other and you flashed to the latest BIOS is there any simple reason why it would keep booting into safe mode when you choose XMP for the RAM and it's showing the correct settings?

Do you have a 13000 series CPU now?

I just hope RX 7xxx GPUs have similar ray tracing performance to 4xxx gpus. I will be specifically looking for nvidia's and amd's 500-600$ range gpus whenever they come next year. But honestly my finaly decision will depend on which gpu does ray tracing better since that's the only thing that makes current pc ports look noticeably better than console versions to me.

It's my wife's new PC:

Intel Core i9-11900K
ASUS Prime B560M-A
G.SKILL F4-3600C17D-32GTZKW 32 GB (16 GB x 2)
Ok, as when I upgraded my CPU on motherboard to the 13000 series.
My XMP profiles stopped working and until there is a new motherboard BIOS, I have to run my RAM at generic timings.

I would check for a BIOS update and see if there is anything there which could resolve the issue.

My XMP profiles stopped working and until there is a new motherboard BIOS, I have to run my RAM at generic timings.

I would check for a BIOS update and see if there is anything there which could resolve the issue.

Yeah I installed the latest BIOS when I built her PC last week, we have been using my dodgy old RAM for a little while as we waited for the replacement to arrive (side note, bought the RAM Feb 2021, Amazon are giving me a full refund for it, no questions asked, that's why I only buy from them!). I'll try reflashing the latest BIOS.

Right now if I set it in the BIOS to Auto rather than XMP and manually change just the RAM speed to the correct 3600Mhz it will boot fine (for now just using 1 of the 2 sticks) and she was playing for a few hours last night with no crashes.

Last edited:
Sounds like the exact same issue I have been having since upgrading.

I was just waiting for a new bios, and thought that would fix mine.

Do you set the voltage manually yourself or any of the other stuff or just like me purely the RAM speed and the rest on auto? Gonna try leaving memtest running before we attempt to put the second stick in.

Do you set the voltage manually yourself or any of the other stuff or just like me purely the RAM speed and the rest on auto? Gonna try leaving memtest running before we attempt to put the second stick in.

No just left it at Auto - The Ram is running slow at the moment but not really bothered as sure the next BIOS update should fix the issue.

20 cases out of over 100,000 sold.

It seems to be partner boards, which suggest to me that somewhere along these boards cheaper components are used.

RTX-4090-cable-brule.jpg

ASUS TUF - Which we know is the cheaper ASUS GPU - So cheaper components could of been used to keep costs down.
Gigabyte 4090 OC - Overclocked board
MSI - Couple of boards from them, but hardly a massive failure rate given the number of units sold.

I think this is completely making a mountain out of a mole hill - 20 cases out of over 100,000 sold.

I would also like to make a point - I absolutely love my 4090.
The power of the card is absolutely incredible.

4K Gaming is now 100FPS+ norm - And I am using settings in Red Dead 2 which brought my 3080 to its knees.

So weird update, we put one stick in last night, all on Auto just the speed correctly set to 3600, ran memtest last night, did the full 3 hours and passed. This morning went to put the second stick in, went into the Bios and instead of being Auto it had somehow set itself to XMP 1, read all the correct settings and was booting the PC just fine at 3600, which simply wouldn't happen before. Put the second stick of Ram in, booted at XMP 1 without issue, left it doing Memtest for nearly 5 hours. zero errors, so odd!

4K Gaming is now 100FPS+ norm - And I am using settings in Red Dead 2 which brought my 3080 to its knees.

Do you run it with Raytracing? Must look amazing, already the most beautiful game ever made IMO.

@bsmaff , yes over 100,000 sold, but most of them were bought by scalpers, which means most of them are not being used yet.
Now that olny one month since the release, already 20 cases confirmed. I believe there are more unreported cases all over the world as there also have been a couple of cases reported in my country. It's not a low rate IMO.

Do you run it with Raytracing? Must look amazing, already the most beautiful game ever made IMO.

I don't run it with Ray Tracing - didn't know Red Dead had Ray Tracing.
I run in everything Ultra.

My 3080 managed about 30 FPS when using these settings and sometimes dropped below 30.
Same settings my 4090 is getting 90, it is the biggest difference in any game I have played on.

@bsmaff , yes over 100,000 sold, but most of them were bought by scalpers, which means most of them are not being used yet.
Now that olny one month since the release, already 20 cases confirmed. I believe there are more unreported cases all over the world as there also have been a couple of cases reported in my country. It's not a low rate IMO.

Most of them bought by scalpers?
What evidence do you have to back this up? The cards on eBay are barely selling for more then what they are RRP.

Also the cases will be higher than the 20 cases reported, but no where near a level to state people need a fire extinguisher or suggest you wouldn't buy one because of this issue.
The issue has been looked into with most people not even being able to remotely recreate the issues people have been experiencing with many suggesting it is most likely installation issues - As how many people who like me don't touch their computer without using an anti static mat and anti static precautions.

I am not denying the issue exists but it is not a massive issue with the amount of cards being sold.

Back
Top Bottom