Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

Yeah that's the real test. But see, I don't like the fact that Zampa went and basically said, Cavani and Kjaer will leave this summer while Javier stays.

Because Simon has never ASKED to leave or say he'd be unhappy to stay further, yet it's like Palermo who are sending him out preferring to get cash. I mean if club wants to sell you, you probably won't say no especially in this situation. If Zamparini treated him like Pastore saying he's going nowhere, I could see Simon saying ok, fine I stay no problem. But now situation is different...

p.s. I didn't know Bresciano left! Where to?

well zampa didn't really say "they will leave". he said "i'm afraid eventually they will both leave". wich is like saying "i don't think we will be able to hold them".
..but yes i agree with u, he shouldn't have mentioned kjaer too. cavani said he wants a new experience, while simon didn't. that was almost like saying "u can go if u want simon", and that's definitely not the message u wanna send to one of your best players, especially when rich clubs like man city, man utd (well, man utd isn't really a rich club, but they're still very powerful and much more prestigious than palermo), tottenham and worfsburg are knocking at the door. :))

but u know zampa afterall :P

as for bresciano, his contract expired and he didn't wanna renew. still no one offered him a contract though. i don't really mind. he's not being the player he used to be for the last 2 years now... he even lost his starter spot this season, so it's no big deal.

That Kjaer pass against Cameroon was fantastic.
Danmark missed him against Japan (but three great goals, thatHonda assist was class).

So Ben, seems your favorite English manager is going to be Liverpool's new manager. I'm very happy. Your opinion?

Lega Calcio has reduced non-eu signings from 2 to 1 per season!
Good start, but not enough, because european foreigners can be signed (so the EU is happy...). The perfect rule with be the 6+5...damn s**t, also an idiot like Blatter wants this rule, let's make it!

Good move by Kjear - Wolfsburg. Will be done this week for around £10m. I think its a good team to develop with. Do Wolfsburg and Palermo have a special relationship?

Good move by Kjear - Wolfsburg. Will be done this week for around £10m. I think its a good team to develop with. Do Wolfsburg and Palermo have a special relationship?
I don't agree. To me this will be a step back to his career. Wolfsburg IMO is not better than Palermo (who will play at least some games of EL), I believe he would develop more if he will stay another year in Serie A, instead of go to a Bundesliga medium level team. Maybe Tottenham would be better.

Also 10M is not enough in my opinion. Palermo should get more money for him.

10M? euros or pounds?... if it's euros we're talking about that's really low. i wouldn't even consider a 10M euros offer.... i'd rather hold him for 1 more year and see what happens in the next transfer window.

as for the team choice, i don't think that'd be a step forward nor backwards. wolfsburg and palermo are both midclass teams in very competitive leagues (although it must be said, to reach the midclass status in serie a, u need a much bigger effort than in bundi).
playing in italy gives u access to a better football-education system, especially if you're a young cb..... but playing in bundi gives u more visibility...... and wolfsburg can afford much higher wages than palermo.
in the end it all comes down to money. wolfsburg can double the wage kjaer gets here in palermo, so i can't blame him.
--------------------------------------------------------------
anyway i was just passing by to comment on serie a's last news....
milanista said:
Lega Calcio has reduced non-eu signings from 2 to 1 per season!
this is a disgraceful move. it's nothing but a demagogic move of a man (giancarlo abete, federcalcio president) who has absolutely no idea of what he's doing!

1 - first of, there's not an "italian players issue" to solve. about 70% of the players in serie a are italians. that's the highest percentage of domestic players in the top european leagues... there are more italians in serie a than germans in bundesliga or spanish in la liga, for fuck sakes! and our acadamies are packed with italian players already.... so what the fuck is this move about!?!? palermo's academy counts 35 players and just 4 of em are not italians.... 4 out of 35 for crying out loud!

2 - this is not gonna make our clubs "more italians". this is just gonna raise the number of naturalizations requests! all the non EU players will find an EU ancestor and get an italian passport (or another EU passport)..... for instance inter is the only non italian team in serie a....well i can tell u every inter foreign player could get an italian passport and become "italian"..... all of them, zanetti, burdisso, milito, samuel, all of em. so the only result of this dumb move is that we'll have dozens of non EU players converting themselves into italians or spanish or germans and getting an eu passport so they can get around this rule.

3 - this move will have a terrible impact on our market. as a result of this rule, the italian players' pricetag will raise and the "not eu players" pricetag will reach the sky! those of u guys who know about economics will understand what i'm talking about.
but then again u don't really need to be an expert in economics to get this, as it's pretty straight-forward. as soon as u limit the supply, the demand's value raises.
and that's gonna be a huge problem for our midclass clubs. it took a lot of time for italy to have a "healthy" players market. players pricetags are reasonable in italy today. u can buy (italian or foreigners) for a good price, improve them as players, give them visibility and then sell them for 2, 3, 4 times what u paid for them. that's what keeps many serie a midclass clubs in business. palermo, samp, udinese, catania, the majority of italian clubs built their franchises precisely thanks to this pennywise-smart management policy. never buy famous hyped players, look for unknown players with good potential and try to turn them into better players.
this is gonna change if this new rule will be approved. our market will change, and as a result of that, serie a will change. i can say that's gonna make serie a a weaker league, that's not gonna improve the quality of serie a football (at all), that's not gonna increase the number of italian players in serie a clubs (it's just gonna increase the number of FAKE italian players, namely foreigners with an italian passport).

the entire serie a establishment is against this rule. i really hope they'll do everything and i mean everything, to stop abete (i say let's skip the first 3 weeks of the season, let's refuse to play and mess up the entire serie a schedule and let's see how that idiot likes that!).

i have no time to read football newspapers theese days, but i truly hope the major italian sport newspapers are remarking theese points too. we need the whole country to back up serie a's presidents in their war against federcalcio's president abete. :RANT:
abhishek said:
So Ben, seems your favorite English manager is going to be Liverpool's new manager. I'm very happy. Your opinion?
good choice.... the very best available option imo. sure he's not really a "cool guy", and since coaching in england is mostly about "glamour" and "image", i can imagine a lot of liverpool fans will be disappointed by this appointment (not u of course, but afterall u know better than most fans ;)) )..... but the truth is hodgson is one of the very few english coaches (probably the only one) who really understands the game and knows what his job is really about. he's a very clever person, who has huge experience... he's one of the few english coaches who had the balls to move abroad and actually learn something about coaching. he already knows the league very well, so no adaptation needed, he knows the players and the other teams aswell.
i don't think he will turn liverpool's situation upside down and turn the reds into title contenders.... as there are other issues in liverpool, problems that have nothing to do with the coaching guidance.... and until those problems are addressed liverpool's situation will remain tricky.....
but u can be damn sure, hodgson is not gonna add more problems to the ones u already have..... and that's already a great step forward. :))

10M? euros or pounds?... if it's euros we're talking about that's really low. i wouldn't even consider a 10M euros offer.... i'd rather hold him for 1 more year and see what happens in the next transfer window.

as for the team choice, i don't think that'd be a step forward nor backwards. wolfsburg and palermo are both midclass teams in very competitive leagues (although it must be said, to reach the midclass status in serie a, u need a much bigger effort than in bundi).
playing in italy gives u access to a better football-education system, especially if you're a young cb..... but playing in bundi gives u more visibility...... and wolfsburg can afford much higher wages than palermo.
in the end it all comes down to money. wolfsburg can double the wage kjaer gets here in palermo, so i can't blame him.

I think you're underestimating Wolfsburg. They are a growing team, as are Palermo, but I think they will get CL football frequently and have the funds to grow. Anyway, its not official but sources are saying it will be done soon.

I also made a mistake guys, FIGC made the foreigner rule, Lega Calcio is totally against it.

Looks like Palermo and Fiorentina are soo mad with the new rule. Seems they had planned targets for a while now. Really dump choice. I just read that La Liga can get up to 3 and Ligue 1 up to 4 non EU players.

i can't stress enough how stupid this decision is, zeem. i'm really out of my mind. i wish i could get 5 minutes live on a national tv channel...... just give me 5 minutes.... not only i'd make people understand what a useless move is that.... i could easily turn the entire country against abete..... just 5 minutes, that's all i need to destroy abete's carreer and image. :RANT:
milanista said:
I think you're underestimating Wolfsburg
:SS really? i honestly don't think i am. i mean, i didn't say wolfsburg is a worse club than palermo (i actually rate a lot wolfsburg)... and i clearely said this is not a step backwards (as much as it's not a step forward).... it's just a move, a new experience (wich is usually nothing but a good thing).
this move has its pros and cons
pros:
- kjaer is gonna get much more money.
- although he's going from a midclass club to another midclass club, a midclass club in bundi has much more chances to get a champions league spot than a midclass italian club (palermo too could possibly aim for a champions league spot in bundesliga, while here in italy that's almost impossible as the competition is just too tough)

cons:
- he's not gonna improve as a cb as much as he could have done staying one more year in palermo.
- he's gonna move from here...
pa-mondello.jpg

..to here...
Wolfsburgskyline2.jpg

and finally. quality-wise, kjaer is top club material... and when i talk about top club, i don't mean palermo or wolfsburg.... i mean real top clubs. :))

Looks like Palermo and Fiorentina are soo mad with the new rule. Seems they had planned targets for a while now. Really dump choice. I just read that La Liga can get up to 3 and Ligue 1 up to 4 non EU players.

It really annoys me. It is limiting the competitive potential of our clubs in Europe too. With the 2 non-eu rule, Serie A was full of Italian players. Milan for example was buying Italians (Borriello, Antonini, Abate, etc..) and Europeans such as Flamini... so were Juve etc. I see this as a step backwards.

Our football will get worse if we keep moving this direction - stadium conditions are poor, the new match times seem to only favour Sky and our club priorities are too low (Europa League, Coppa Italia) because of a lack of funding.

But don't Udinese have the largest squad in the world? with most players out on loan? Their core starters are/were Italian, which I think is the main debate around Inter. Toto, Pepe, Floro Flores, D'agostino etc... although most are gone now.

But don't Udinese have the largest squad in the world? with most players out on loan? Their core starters are/were Italian, which I think is the main debate around Inter. Toto, Pepe, Floro Flores, D'agostino etc... although most are gone now.
But also Handanovic, Lukovic, Isla, Zapata, Asamoah, Inter and Sanchez (these are the other 7 from the ideal starting 11, removing the ones you said), plus the others on the bench, plus the players bought in South America or Africa (and loaned to Granada). Udinese is like Inter, they prefer to buy in South America and Africa instead of Italy (or even Europe) because of prices, this is the truth.

About Kjaer:

this move has its pros and cons
pros:
- kjaer is gonna get much more money.
- although he's going from a midclass club to another midclass club, a midclass club in bundi has much more chances to get a champions league spot than a midclass italian club (palermo too could possibly aim for a champions league spot in bundesliga, while here in italy that's almost impossible as the competition is just too tough)

The money thing is true, but I don't think the competition in Bundesliga is much weaker. I mean, what is Inter in Italy is Bayern in Germany, and then you also have lots of clubs (Bremen, Schalke, Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Hoffe, Hamburg, Stuttgart) that all played international in the last years, this year or will in the near future.

But you're absolutely right about the cities - I grew up 40 km from Wolfsburg and it's not really a spectacular city.

yeah, actually i didn't express myself correctly here. i didn't mean to say bundi is less competitive than serie a... to be honest i consider bundi the most exciting league in europe, speaking of competitiveness... but then again, this is precisely my point: let me explain....
in bundesliga u have 1 team which is by far stronger\richer\more powerful than the others (bayern)... that means that almost every season bayern is gonna get 1 of the champions league spots.

but then, behind bayern, there are a load of clubs which are pretty much on the same (very high) standard. that's what makes bundi such an exciting league... every season u have 7\8 clubs fighting for the remaining 2 champions league spots.... and they also change almost every year. this rotation is a great thing for the league and gives a chance to those midclass clubs to get such a huge spotlight as champions league.

in serie a instead we have 4 giants (inter, milan, roma and juve)... theese 4 giants usually get all the 4 available spots..... and even when u have one of those giants facing a terrible season (like it happened with juve this season), well u still have to compete with the likes of palermo, samp, genoa, napoli, udinese, fiorentina, lazio in order to make it to the only available champions league spot remaining.

so long story short, if u're a wolfsburg fan, u just have to worry about having a good season. if your team does better than its contenders (say, werder, schalke, dortmund, leverkusen, hamburg, stuttgart) then u'll definitely get your champions league spot.
if u're a palermo fan instead, having a great season and doing better than your contenders (napoli, samp, genoa, fiorentina, udinese, lazio) still isn't enough. u also have to hope one of those 4 giants (milan, inter, juve or roma) will have a terrible season.... otherwise, even if u manage to do better than your contenders, that still won't be enough to give u a place in champions league.

that was my point. so yes, "competitiveness" wasn't the right word to describe my point. in terms of competitiveness u just can't find anything better than bundesliga! :WORSHIP:

leo, yeah, udinese actually does have a lot of foreigners too.... but that's still doesn't matter... it's the global country situation what matters. as long as serie a has a huge majority of domestic players (and we already do), it doesn't matter if 1, 2 or 3 clubs have many foreigners (like inter or udinese). :))

ernestito, if during your sicily trip u happen to pass by palermo, let me know. it would be nice to have dinner or even just a glass of wine together :))

Last edited:

I agree with everyone else, the non-EU rule is awful, and is a knee-jerk reaction to Italy's poor showing in the World Cup.

What I think is also awful, is how can they implement a rule like this with no warning? What about teams that have already made plans? I would think they would at least need a year to implement the rule.

so long story short, if u're a wolfsburg fan, u just have to worry about having a good season. if your team does better than its contenders (say, werder, schalke, dortmund, leverkusen, hamburg, stuttgart) then u'll definitely get your champions league spot.
if u're a palermo fan instead, having a great season and doing better than your contenders (napoli, samp, genoa, fiorentina, udinese, lazio) still isn't enough. u also have to hope one of those 4 giants (milan, inter, juve or roma) will have a terrible season.... otherwise, even if u manage to do better than your contenders, that still won't be enough to give u a place in champions league.

Now I agree to 100% - and so it's probably not such a bad move by Kjaer. Teams are on a similar level, but now has a better chance to play Champions League.

About foreign players rules: This is always a difficult decision because it can also harm the performances of the clubs on international level. Well, 11 foreign players in the inter starting formations is really a bit much - but such hard rules can be like a boomerang.

ernestito, if during your sicily trip u happen to pass by palermo, let me know. it would be nice to have dinner or even just a glass of wine together :))

you can count on me, I definitely will be in Palermo for a few days. :) in fact, Palermo is the main reason why I will be there. you also have to tell me where the palermo store is. :D

Kjaer left Palermo for (only) 13M. Yesterday Palermo signed an unknown pole defender, Glik, member of Poland National Team. It seems Zamparini wants to rise another Kjaer.

A little disappointed with the Kjaer transfer but it's not bad either.

Wolfsburg is a growing club and Bundesliga will teach him and aid his development in certain other ways. I can see him spending a season there before Germany's giant, Bayern comes in and buys him.

If I were Zamparini though, I would've been as keen to keep Simon as I am with Javier. I'm not sure he tried 100% to say no and keep him.

I believe they could've sold him themselves to Bayern or another huge club end of next season and for close to $20M.

But anyway, what's done is done. I hope he does well there and I think he will.

Barzagli, Zaccardo and now Kjaer go from Palermo to Wolfsburg. Yes, maybe the two clubs do have a good relationship....

yeah, i'm disappointed aswell. 13 millions is already more than 3 times what we bought him for, so that's a 9 millions capital gain item in our balance sheet.... but still that's way too cheap for such a talented player.
i agree with u Sina, we should have waited one more season. not to raise his value, as his value is already way higher than 13 millions.... but because there were no other buyers in this window. no top clubs in europe need a starting cb apparently. but u just shouldn't put such a player on sale when there's ony one possible buyer, as that will obviously give u less leverage and effect the price tag.
i didn't expect such a mistake by zampa honestly.... he knows (or should know) better than this.
anyhow, my best wishes to simon. he's really a nice, down to earth guy and i truly hope he'll get the attention he deserves.
and congratz to wolfsburg for the great deal! very well played:))

@robbe: indeed that's not a bad move for simon (i never said it was) ;)

anyhow guys i'm very busy theese days, hence i can't catch up with the market moves.... but i just heard juve got motta aswell.
so that's how juve's defensive line will look like next season.
de ceglie---chiellini--bonucci---motta
now we're talking !!! that's what it means to have marotta in charge of the market:))

Last edited:

Yeah except Motta on right of course with de ceglie on left and Chiellini and Bonucci's places probably swapped as well. ;)

Either way, it looks like a nice, strong AND Italian backline and of course with Buffon behind them, it can be good!

I personally really rate Marco Motta anyway. For me he's one of the best Italy has if not the best.

Yeah except Motta on right of course with de ceglie on left and Chiellini and Bonucci's places probably swapped as well. ;)

actually i did put motta on the right and de ceglie on the left.... maybe lining up a goalkeeper would help.
de ceglie---chiellini--bonucci---motta
---------------------buffon

i guess u read it the other way around :P
and i completely agree on motta ;)

Back
Top Bottom