Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

I hear you Ben. I agree with all that and being a Commerce graduate myself, that's what we study, bonds/loans, businesses, income/profit, etc.

When I said what I did, I didn't mean Serie A clubs aren't doing it right and others are. It's the other way around I suppose like you said. But my point remains, as a player, you don't care about none of that. All you know is like I said if you're Inler or Cassani, players HALF your ability are making 3 times as much money as you in let's say EPL! And that is wrong and would wanna make you move there. It's that simple. All that other stuff concerns the clubs, economy, stability, presidents, etc.

But as a player, you and I don't care about that too much. All I know is the pay-check I'm getting is far less than it could be.

So in comparison to let's say EPL, the mid-table clubs aren't paying as much. I don't care who's right or wrong... definitely the Italian way seems more stable and you're absolutely right. I REMEMBER the days of over-spending in Serie A. That's when it was also probably strongest league. Lazio alone had CRAZY spending and wages. And of course we know what happened after....

There was also Parma, Roma, etc. etc.

But my point remains, as a player, you don't care about none of that. All you know is like I said if you're Inler or Cassani, players HALF your ability are making 3 times as much money as you in let's say EPL! And that is wrong and would wanna make you move there. It's that simple. All that other stuff concerns the clubs, economy, stability, presidents, etc.

But as a player, you and I don't care about that too much. All I know is the pay-check I'm getting is far less than it could be.
oh that's for sure. that's why i told u i would move somewhere else too :P
italy is indeed a great place to live in.... but u have an entire lifetime to enjoy la dolce vita in italia (or everywhere u want).... once u retire from professional football :D
PLF said:
I REMEMBER the days of over-spending in Serie A. That's when it was also probably strongest league
well those days serie a was definitely the fanciest and most hyped league in europe.... but i don't know about "the strongest".... i mean from a financial point of view we might aswell say we were way weaker those days .... besides, although we had loads of overpaid big stars..... to be brutally honest the overall quality of the football played was nowhere near as entertaining as it is today.

Last edited:

Exactly! :PIRATE:

Plus I think as someone who's from there, you and Miccoli would maybe even sacrifice bigger pay-checks to stay where you are. Own country, language, culture, etc. I could understand that to some degree.

But for someone like Inler or Kjaer? I don't care how nice Sicily or Udine is, I'd get the fuck outta there on the first jet! :D

Exactly! :PIRATE:

Plus I think as someone who's from there, you and Miccoli would maybe even sacrifice bigger pay-checks to stay where you are. Own country, language, culture, etc. I could understand that to some degree.

But for someone like Inler or Kjaer? I don't care how nice Sicily or Udine is, I'd get the fuck outta there on the first jet! :D

yeah, but then again, there might be different reasons not to move.... i mean pastore chose palermo (and decided not to move this summer) because that was a good chance to get some starter playtime.... of course now pastore would be a starter straight away in pretty much every top club in europe...... but afterall, that was also because of the year he spent as a starter in palermo.

so i'd say.... very young players and italian players (especially if they have a family, kids and so on) might have a good reason not to move from here.
but sure, if i were an over 25 years old player (with no kids or family ties), i would be looking for higher paychecks somewhere else

WOOHOO!!! Nice win today. Palermo away is always a tough fixture. Eto'o was class, Milito was out of sorts, Samuel (aka WALLLEEEEE!!) was a beast, he gulped Henrandez down like a scooby snack :LOL: was such a joy to watch.

for instance inter loses about 100 millions euros per year... even with the huge incomes they have (tv-rights, sponsors, champions league related incomes).... even taking all that money into account, each and every summer moratti has refund the club with his own money... and we're talking about 100 millions! and those 100 millions don't even cover for new signings... he puts into the club those money just to cover current expenses (players wages and staff salaries)!!! :CONFUSE:
it because of cunts like Mancini, Rivas, Obihna and Suazo who refuse to fuck off because they're too busy living the good life, seated on the bench with their feet up. also we're renting out the san siro for 30 mil a season... such waste of money.

so all in all, talking about future trends, i'd say it's much more likely to see english, clubs, spanish clubs and inter paying their players a lot less in a few years, than seeing italian clubs paying their players more.
Reason why we didn't sign anyone this mercato. brought this up many posts back actually.

Albi, it's still just the 2nd week of the season, but i gotta say javier has been pretty awesome..... as usual, afterall.
Franco Causio was commentating brescia-palermo last week. during the match he said "i know some people are gonna think i'm crazy... hell i can't believe what i'm saying either.... but the resemblance between pastore's and zidane's way to move along the pitch and touch the ball is really unbelievable... it creeps me out!"

Don't really rate Pastore, personally. He's certainly talented but just raw. his passing for example is far too inconsistent. his movement is ok, decision making is often frustrating... he's still very young though so he has time on his side. Also Palermo is a good place for him to develop and and express his talents. I think there's a tendency to overrate serie a players because they're unknowns and everyone is trying to hype them up... players like Hamsik and Lavezzi, Menez, Motta, Candreva, Cavani and Giovinco... clearly they're a talented bunch but i think we should chill on the comparisons for a while longer until they perform more consistenly. Some may have just peaked early and headed for a downward spiral (as did Martins, Adriano, Drenthe, Babel, Baronio, Tavano...)

When I said what I did, I didn't mean Serie A clubs aren't doing it right and others are. It's the other way around I suppose like you said. But my point remains, as a player, you don't care about none of that. All you know is like I said if you're Inler or Cassani, players HALF your ability are making 3 times as much money as you in let's say EPL! And that is wrong and would wanna make you move there. It's that simple.

english weather is shit though mate :P who wants to play when its pissing down and wind is icy cold. plus the quality of life may be better than in england. then there's the constant media attention. And there's family, wife and kids might be settled and not want to move.

rfu said:
english weather is shit though mate who wants to play when its pissing down and wind is icy cold. plus the quality of life may be better than in england. then there's the constant media attention. And there's family, wife and kids might be settled and not want to move.
family, kids and media attention are definitely good points... but if u can make somewhere else twice the money u make in italy, trust me, wheather and quality of life will be the last of your concerns :P
rfu said:
it because of cunts like Mancini, Rivas, Obihna and Suazo who refuse to fuck off because they're too busy living the good life, seated on the bench with their feet up. also we're renting out the san siro for 30 mil a season... such waste of money.
yeah, stadia ownership is definitely the biggest financial issue in italian football today.
as for mancini, rivas and co...... honestly mate, can u blame them? they hit the jackpot! they get paid more than most professionals in the world for doing pretty much anything.... it's a dream come true! :P
rfu said:
I think there's a tendency to overrate serie a players because they're unknowns and everyone is trying to hype them up... players like Hamsik and Lavezzi, Menez, Motta, Candreva, Cavani and Giovinco... clearly they're a talented bunch but i think we should chill on the comparisons for a while longer until they perform more consistenly. Some may have just peaked early and headed for a downward spiral (as did Martins, Adriano, Drenthe, Babel, Baronio, Tavano...)
i sure agree about this silly tendency of comparing youngsters to great champions.... infact i would never compare pastore with a legend like zizou at this point of his career (like causio did).....
.... but i don't know about your other point (the tendency of overrating youngsters).... i mean, some of the players u mentioned (i mean hamsik, motta, candreva, giovinco).... if anything they're underrated.... (well except cavani probably).

i do agree there's a huge hype around pastore right now.... but then again, i got to admit, the things this kid can do with a ball... it's very impressive. sure he's still a little raw.... but when u think he's a 19 years old kid who just started his second season in serie a..... u would expect him too be much more raw than he actually is.

afterall it's always gonna be like this in this business.... muller has been outstanding ever since day one with bayern and no one was fussed about it.... then he gets a couple of good games in the world cup.... and all of a sudden he becomes a God!
and sticking with german players, how about ozil? he's been a very promising youngster for quite a while now.... but the average fan barely knew him before the world cup..... and now if anything he's even overhyped.
that's why i tend to stick to current skill, rather than venturing on judgement over the potential of a promising youngster.

btw rfu how was the match? u won't believe it but i couldn't watch it! :((
can't say i'm surprised by the result though.... after the europa league match we had just 1 day to rest...... damn europa league :RANT:

Last edited:

I've watched a few 'enganche' type players in Argentina try and live up to the mantle of the '10'.

And while it's far too early to compare Javier who's just turned 21 with a legend like Zizou he's the most promising I've seen for a long while.

As lo zio say's he can do things few others can with the ball. Infact Mourinho has long been on his trail and I would not be surprised to see him try for him though Javier says his ultimate destination of choice would be Barca, where Messi says much the same things as lo zio.

His decision making is above average as well just his positional sense tends to get ragged at times but has improved under Rossi.

Also his shooting consistency too.

I think he made the right choice going to Palermo for instance and rejecting Manchester United in getting first team football.

He's always been compared to Riquleme but he has more pace and also with Kaka but has more technique in my opinion.

Batista want's him in central midfield ASAP.

i sure agree about this silly tendency of comparing youngsters to great champions.... infact i would never compare pastore with a legend like zizou at this point of his career (like causio did).....
.... but i don't know about your other point (the tendency of overrating youngsters).... i mean, some of the players u mentioned (i mean hamsik, motta, candreva, giovinco).... if anything they're underrated.... (well except cavani probably).
i dunno, i just think they're overrated by the italian media and serie a followers... Sort of like how the english media overhypes the England NT during qualifiers and then before major tournaments... players like Quagriella, Marchetti, Gilardino and Montolivo... The Italian media makes it sound like the coach will have a selection headache ahead a major tournament only for no one to step up and perform when it counts. Just an opinion. Unless the quality is blatantly obvious i.e. Balotelli and Cassano, I would prefer to wait until a player actually performs. At this juncture, I wouldn't pay more than 15 million for Pastore. He remains an emerging talent at the moment, not much more than that.

afterall it's always gonna be like this in this business.... muller has been outstanding ever since day one with bayern and no one was fussed about it....
That's what i like about B-Liga. No one is talking or hyping up players like Kagawa, Sahin, Augusto, Kacar, Kross... they just let them play and perform. I'm still scratching my head over the Santon-Maldini comparison. The silliest one I heard was recently was some "expert" comparing Coutinho to Baggio and Zico and then adding that Coutinho has more quality:CONFUSE: I mean really, who needs that kind of attention. In any case Coutinho is a quality player, from the little we've seen so far, he's seemingly a better passer than Pastore and better with both feet. Also his 1st touch is just jaw dropping. And you know me, I don't rate anyone, so you know he's that good. He just needs some muscle and he's well on his way :))

btw rfu how was the match? u won't believe it but i couldn't watch it! :((
can't say i'm surprised by the result though.... :
I expected a us to win but I know you guys are tough as hell to beat at home so I wasn't sure what to think. We controlled the game for large spells... there were some nervy moments when your midfield run at our defence on the counter. In fact your sole goal came from a counter attack. There was a 1v1 later on but JC reacted well, pulling off a brilliant save. Eto'o was looking sprightly and his guile and speed was a handful for Cassani and Munoz. He scored two well taken goals. I think the win was deserved in the end. As for the penalty appeals, they were certainly clumsy challenges but not as bad Zamprini makes out. A tough game and a good win. Definitely the confidence boost we need especially considering our relatively difficult fixture list.

Ben my coverage is pretty good. It takes some extra pay for the sports channel, but it gets me a lot of football.. including serie A. I usually get at least one game for each time played ( I mean one game at 6 saturday and at 8.45pm saturday etc). Rarely a game simultaneously though, so I have to stream juve more regularly than pre-calciopoli :P...

Anyway a moment for Juve's performance yesterday. It's been a damn long time since i've seen us perform convincingly. Quagliarella bringing new fire upfront, Pepe balancing the team, Marchisio and Melo were very good. Krasic, transfer of the season? Most importantly the team clicked.

Prandelli said he will look into the Cesena forwards especially Giaccherini. I saw him against Milan and was very fast and ran rings around the defence and was very dangerous on the counter. I hope he tries him. Anyone seeing how Milan handle counter attacks? What a mess.

At this juncture, I wouldn't pay more than 15 million for Pastore. He remains an emerging talent at the moment, not much more than that.

When Pastore decides to leave this 40 mill City are talking about will come down but surely Palermo would be looking for at least 25 million for him and that seems reasonable. Chelsea offered 35 mill for Neymar, Barcelona bought Kierrison for 15, and Milan bought Pato for 20 mill and he is doing really great aside from injuries(I read he is the youngest player to reach 38 goals in Serie A just to brag :D). I hope he doesn't end in City though. David Silva is even not playing a lot. And I'm sure you wouldn't accept letting Coutinho go for 15 as an Inter fan.

btw, what's up with Milito blaming Benetiz for his goal drought? Come on.

Last edited:

Anyone know if the mooted Lazio takeover is going to happen? I know there were rumours of it about a week ago - last thursday over 2,800,000 shares were traded, which is pretty much a record in a day for the last 5 years. For comparison the average number of shares traded each day is less than 150,000.

I might be going to go see Inter v Juventus on October 3rd at the San Siro. My friend has a few tickets reserved for 3 or 4 of us to go to the curva on the third floor of the San Siro. Many pics to come if i go!

Something rather off-topic, but i guess it will interest the Italian guys in this thread.
I guess you still remember (former) referee Byron Moreno, he of the match against South Korea at the 2002 WC.
The guy just was arrested with 6 kilo's of heroïne at the New York aeroport...

Buffon made a funny comment about him though "I think Moreno already had the (heroin) in 2002, but not in his underwear, in his body"

:LOL:

I saw the game, yeah you know apparently that was actually the Benfica eagle Lazio borrowed.

It was a pretty good game, a shame Reja only made the big changes (e.g. Rocchi and Zarate on) after Lazio went 1-0 down. But it's such a change from last year when under Ballardini the team were shocking.

Reja left Zarate out for not footballing reasons. He has a thing with him and used him when he went down 1-0 and it worked.

What did you think of Hernanes? I have heard a lot of good things in the past years and he really is very talented. They way he uses both his feet very effectively is awesome.

For me, the attitude was right - No hanging of heads or finger pointing, the team just carried on.

I'll say it until i'm blue in the face, RB/LB positions need to be fixed, hopefully sooner rather than later. Balzaretti was class tonight - Someone remind me why we let him go . Oh yes, It was a Secco masterstroke.

Krasic was great, more from him - Gig got that starting line up all wrong - Del Piero/Quag = SS One should play with Amauri/VI.

Aquilani should have gotten a start today as well - Marchisio looked tired and off the pace. Felipe Melo was much improved - Quiet, did his job without any fuss.

Not too fussed by the result as 7 teams are on 5 points ahead of us and Chievo are second. Just need to consolidate and start grinding out the results, starting with Cagliari on Sunday.

Well done Palermo & Pastore, doing everything I always imagined he could.

Not too fussed by the result as 7 teams are on 5 points ahead of us and Chievo are second. Just need to consolidate and start grinding out the results, starting with Cagliari on Sunday.

Well done Palermo & Pastore, doing everything I always imagined he could.

classy as usual, Martin :))

yeah u shouldn't really worry about the result... we're still in september, and juventus is like a newborn right now... it's gonna take some time to have all theese new players gelling together and playing del neri's football. :))
just be patient bro. juventus isn't yet a scudetto contender.... but this might become a very, very good team. my only major concern is about the lack of a regista.... not that a team can't play without a regista.... but it's gonna be complicated to play del neri's football without a terrific passer at midfield.
as for your worries about the sidebacks, yeah, de ceglie certainly isn't balzaretti.... but trust me, motta is a much better player than he showed in theese few recent games.... and i'm confident as the season will unfold, marco will prove himself as one of the best signings of the season :))

very good result for palermo yesterday... i didn't watch the game against inter, but, considering the previous ones, it seems to me we're quickly getting our form back... the team is getting better and better and the new signings are really doing a great job (pinilla, munoz, and ilicic especially). if we keep going like this we should be in our best shape by late october, wich would be perfect...... but i can see us loosing many points throughout the seasons because of the damned europa league.
p.s. i'm really liking what i'm seeing from this munoz kid :))

does anybody know what palermo did with bertolo? did we loan him or sell him? he was doing very well for us, at the end of last season... i would be disappointed if we lost him for good.
LOL! indeed! not exactly an original idea from lazio :P

Dominic, thanks for the infos about serie a coverage in netherlands.... btw i should be in amsterdam in november.... i'm planning a bachelor party in amsterdam for a friend of mine and we should be there for 3 or 4 days.... if u live in amsterdam (do u?) it would be a nice chance to meet each others :))
Jumbo said:
Buffon made a funny comment about him though "I think Moreno already had the (heroin) in 2002, but not in his underwear, in his body"
yeah i heard that too :LOL:
i think moreno shouldn't have changed job.... being a corrupt referee is probably much safer than carrying drugs for a south-american cartel :P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom