Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

Seriously Inter got away with it last night. Napoli were fighting to the last minute and were in much better shape physically and mentally. They missed a lot though. Mazzari just hit back at Leonardo for saying Inter deserved to go through. :LOL:

I think it will be quite a while before the semi finals are played. Their schedule is messed a little. Last year when it was a two legged game, the away game would be played 40 days after the home one. It was Inter Roma I think.

On the Criscito thing, he is the main target but it is getting complicated. So it is reported Milan will get Marchetti by giving Cagliari the other half of Astori and loan him to Genoa. Add to that Genoa will get 10 mill and the other half of Paloschi. I don't think he is worth it.

Last edited:

I hope we won't get Marchetti, he's terrible.
He reminds me of Taibi, enough said.

About Criscito and Paloschi, the first could be a more than decent sub, the latter doesn't impress me much but it would be a pity to let him slip away so easily.
I could understand not giving space to Astori (he's good, but not Ac Milan good) but Paloschi deserves a chance.

No love for Merkel in this forum? The guy is quality and is only 18 years old, a lot of stamina and good technical skills, and I'm not talking on how the guy reads the game, he looks like a veteran.

Some big transfers/rumors today:

Pazzini headed to Inter for 12m + Biabiany.
Rosina to Cesena (Cesena's signings have been pretty solid!)
Ruiz to Napoli for 6m + Datolo
Criscito to Milan - I think the Paloschi deal has something to do with this
Barzagli to Juve (seems done)

I feel that Pazzini will be wasted at Inter. They have Diegol, Eto'o and Pandev.... I wonder if Pazzo will get space to play. I really hope he stays at Samp, because he has potential to be a goal machine (he already is) that will score 20 a season.

Well Pandev has been nothing short of awful this year, so he's headed straight to the bench. Milito has been injured almost all year and even when healthy has not been in good form. Eto'o has really been Inter's only decent striker all season long, so they definitely needed another. I imagine Inter will go back to 2 strikers as opposed to the 4-2-3-1 they've played the majority of the last season and a half, in which case there's room for Eto'o and one of Milito/Pazzini, and with Milito's problems and the sheer number of matches Inter have to play I think there's room for everyone. I am also curious to see how Biabiany does at Samp. He was very disappointing at Inter, despite showing some signs of promise at Parma.

As far as Rosina goes, he's one of those players I've always really liked and never quite understood why he never made it with a big Italian side. If Cesena are signing him, I can't imagine he's costing them that much.

There is a rumour in several Belgian papers that Fiorentina have an option to buy Jelle Vossen from Racing Genk.
This would happen next summer and is related to what will happen with Gilardino.
If Gilardino leaves Fiorentina, then Vossen will play for them. If Gilardino stays then he will be loaned to Genoa...

I see lamrming parallels with Vanden Borre.
Vossen has potential and scored loads of goals, but i think this move comes too soon. On the top of that i have a feeling that he will never be as prolific as in the first months of this season...So the move could be seen as cashing in: both player and Racing Genk think that they will never gain more money than now.
I hope i'm wrong because Vossel has a very good mentality and is a striker that works for the team. He has less pure talent than Vanden Borre, but has a much better mentality.

tha pazzini deal is a huge move by inter. afterall milito isn't getting any younger and, although i still consider him a world class striker (afterall it was only one season ago that he was regarded by everyone as world class), i gotta say, based on this season form, pazzini would be a starter straight away. an eto'o pazzini partnership, with maicon providing support from the right side and snejder coming from behind....... that's quite a frightening offensive setup.

i feel sad about samp though. i mean, samp is a midclass club, and just like any other midclass club, its economy is based on the capital gains they make out of their best players departures..... but this is way too many departures in 1 season alone. first they had to deal with the departures of such a high profile coach as del neri (with all do respect, di carlo doesn't belong to the same level of del neri) and of one of the very best general managers in serie a (marotta). then cassano leaves... and now pazzini and ziegler?!?! this really doesn't sound good for samp! i'm glad for pazzo btw. he's definitely top club material.

u guys remember that conversation we had some months ago about di natale and miccoli? i wrote that di natale is definitely much more complete and versatile than miccoli, but that "overall" they were pretty much on the same level......
now i gotta say i wasn't really sure about that even when i was writing it. i mean technique-wise they're pretty close, as both can do whatever they want with a ball.... but i felt i didn't really believe in what i wrote when i said they're pretty much on the same level. over the last few months i've been thinking about that and last week i eventually made up my mind. and then, with a terrific timing, Sina brought that topic back (in a pm) and provided me a metaphore wich perfectly reflects my (changed) opinion on the subject.
PLF said:
p.s. You asked me awhile back but I forgot to reply what I meant by 'class' the other day when comparing Di Natale and saying overall he's in a higher class than Miccoli. What I meant wasn't that he's more versatile but that overall, he's in an 'above' category. Same way that Palermo is a great club for example but Fiorentina is in a higher 'category'. Or how Palombo is great for example but De Rossi is an even one higher class above/better than him.

You may not agree of course but I do think if Miccoli is a 8/10 player, Toto is 9/10. That's what I meant that overall he's above him by one 'class' or category or 'degree'.
i stand corrected bro :))

on a different topic, does any of u guys know who is cesena's general manager? i mean, nagatomo, giaccherini, appiah, jimenez.... and now rosina!? they putting together quite a team!

Was wondering the same thing earlier today. Whoever that guy is I like him! :D Although it's still a little too early....

As for Samp, yah I'm sorry for them but I have a feeling... they had this coming to them.

And I'm happy for Pazzini too. He's just at the right age and quality now to try a truly big club and hopefully make the impact we know he is capable of. I hope he hits the ground running fast and doesn't lose confidence becuase he's one of those confidence players in a way.... when his form is good, he feels on top of the world... but go a few matches without scoring... and it can be tough.

I'm confident and optimistic though. I think he will help Inter and Inter will help him become a household name and true International superstar because to this day... there are people outside Italy who don't know him too well.

Finally about Criscito, surely if Milan gets him, he'll be 1st choice left-back and not a sub. I think he's much better than Antonini and Zambrotta is getting old though in my eyes he's a legend and one of the best footballers Italy produced over last decade. But Domenico is pretty good and can get better too...

Poor old Ben. Twas a stunning comeback by Inter though, Pazzini fitted in seamlessly. I'd seen comparisons with Gilardino and how he didn't quite show his true potential at the highest level but Pazzini could be something different if his debut was anything to go by.

Yep him and Gila are quite similar in many ways. Added bonus is that Pazzini is more 'confident' and has better mentality and self-belief than Gila so yes you're right, there's more chance of him making a big mark at the highest level in the biggest clubs than Gila.

HAving said that, many players are more self-confident than Gilardino. :P And Pazzini is no Zlatan either.... he doubts himself at times too but luckily not as much as the very talented Alberto Gilardino!

Poor old Ben. Twas a stunning comeback by Inter though, Pazzini fitted in seamlessly. I'd seen comparisons with Gilardino and how he didn't quite show his true potential at the highest level but Pazzini could be something different if his debut was anything to go by.
actually i had such a great time yesterday, even inter's comeback didn't manage to ruin my day. very "unpalermo-ish" game yesterday. we're not used to sit back and counter attack... we're use to dictate the theme of the game, to possess the ball much longer then the opponent (whereas yesterday inter had a little more possession than us)..... but then again, i can't blame the coach for this tactical choice.... i mean, we were playing against inter, in san siro and we were 2 goals ahead after only 10 minutes. the huge early lead gave us the chance to just sit back and let inter do the hard job (dictating the game), waiting for them to make a mistake and hit them on the counter.
i'm not gonna say we were bad... infact our counters were pretty good..... but u could see yesterday, this is just not our game... we weren't confortable at all.
a draw would have been more fair imo, and obviously if inter would have waited a little bit longer to sign pazzini, now we would be talking about a completely different result, but hey that's football.

as for pazzini, what he did yesterday is just what he has been doing ever since he left fiorentina..... but obviously, now that he'll be doing the same things with inter, he will get a lot more recognition and praise (due to inter's visibility).
as for the comparison with gila, i actually consider them 2 very different kind of forwards. infact the only thing they do have in common to me, is that both don't have a very strong, tall "prima-punta-like" build (a la drogba or a la amauri)... but then again, even in the way they address this issue they are 2 very different players. for gilardino infact having a pretty small build is an advantage, while pazzini just doesn't care and acts on the pitch as if he were as tall as drogba...... and the most impressive thing is that he doesn't just try to play drogba's game.... he really has the "presence" of a drogba in the box.... plus an awesome positioning, plus a great mobility (he's faster and much more physical then gila) and has an even better heading than gila (and gila already is very good at that).

gilardino belongs to a very special category of forwards.... and funnily all theese type of forwards are italian.... paolo rossi, totò schillaci, marco di vaio. when u try to describe their game u' can't very well single out a specific department where they stand out... they're not particularly fast, or agile, don't have a huge presence in the box and their technical skills aren't exactly top notch....... they just score...... always.
and when they (or their teams) happen to go through a bad patch and they stop scoring every single week, then people tend to change their mind very easily about them (precisely because there isn't a specific feature in their game)... they forget em, begin to underrate em.... it's always like that... and it's what people are doing with gilardino right now.

pazzini is a more modern kind of player (wich doesn't necessarily mean "better" anyway). he has more weapons in his arsenal. he's faster than gila. he has that very quick reaction time and responsiveness that "small CF" usually have. he also has a very, very good touch and technique for a cf (and that's also due to his relatively small build)...... but still he has the balance and the ability to use his body that big tall cf usually have..... then he has an extraordinary timing and a very gilardino-esque (hence world class) positioning. he can score with both feet and he's a great header.
he's the kind of player that, even when he doesn't score for a long span, people still appreciate him for what he does for the team (wich is something that doesn't happen with gila).
but that's just an assumption of mine, as, ever since he left firenze, he's never played more than 2 consecutive games without scoring at least once).
he migh or might not become a world class forward....... but sure as hell, he already is a fantastic player.

great deal by inter. just think of that: man city bought dzeko for 32 millions euros. pazzini costed 12 (+ biabany). that's proof that u don't need big money to build a great squad. dzeko's value was hugely inflated by the hype and by the fact that half europe was following him.... i actually find it amazing that juve spent so much effort and time trying to snatch dzeko, when pazzini was available for half the price!!!!
i like dzeko very much. he's a great forward and, like pazzo, he will most likely become a world class striker....... but to be honest, given the chance to choose between pazzini and dzeko at the same price, i would have no hesitation picking giampaolo over edin. absolutely no hesitations at all. and that if they costed the same money... at half the price of dzeko, pazzini becomes an amazing deal.
PLF said:
And Pazzini is no Zlatan either.... he doubts himself at times too but luckily not as much as the very talented Alberto Gilardino
actually pazzo, despite what many people (me included) used to believe, has a very strong personality and is nowhere as "moody" as gila.
prandelli said something very interesting about pazzini a few months ago. a journalist asked him "what went wrong with pazzini in firenze? i mean this kid was unbelievably good when he made his debut in atalanta. then he moved in fiorentina and never really fullfilled his potential. then, as soon as he moves to samp, he suddenly turns into the most prolific italian cf (and one of the most prolific cfs in europe aswell). why it didn't work in firenze?"
prandelli explained that giampaolo had a very hard time in firenze. he is a huge fiorentina fan (i didn't even know that) so he felt huge pressure. prandelli told that whenever fiorentina lost, he felt responsible.... even when he wasn't even playing!!!
prandelli realised the kid just couldn't deliver for his childhood team and so he suggested him to move to another club. he told him "you're gonna become one of the best forwards in the world giampaolo.... just not in firenze, so, for your own good, stay as far as possible from a fiorentina shirt".

so it wasn't lack of confidence the reason why he didn't deliver in firenze.... it was the effect that playing in firenze had on him.... and infact, as soon as he left firenze (it's been 2 years now) he didn't stop scoring.

Last edited:

:LOL: Zamparini accused Delio Rossi of being 'Zemanian' - amazing attacking but poor defending.
i really wish zamparini could restrain himself and shut is fu**ing mouth... especially on mondays..... and especially after palermo's lost matches.
sooner or later, rossi is going to have enough of zamparini's shit and he'll resign (just like sabatini did).
and that would be an enourmous tragedy for palermo... i can't even think of that.
PLF said:
Finally about Criscito, surely if Milan gets him, he'll be 1st choice left-back and not a sub. I think he's much better than Antonini and Zambrotta is getting old though in my eyes he's a legend and one of the best footballers Italy produced over last decade. But Domenico is pretty good and can get better too...
completely agree on that. antonini is a good player and still has improvement margin, but domenico is on a different level. infact i consider criscito the second best italian leftback, just behind balzaretti (and there's absolutely no shame in being second to balzaretti). moreover, criscito is still only 24.
criscito would be a starter straight away.

Last edited:

lo zio, do you have a blog related to football? it'd be great pleasure to track it.

Hey lo zio, what were your impressions on Santon and Ranocchia yesterday? I missed the first goal but understand Santon got his positioning all wrong, as he did with the 2nd goal and the time when Pastore hit the post. I wonder whether we should consider a cricisto/santon straight swap. Afterall, what's a world class team like inter doing without a naturally left footed side back???

ciao ragazzi, haven't been posting for a long time here (dont know why honestly). quick question: what are the odds that I get 2 tickets for Roma-Napoli on saturday next week? I'll be in Rome from friday 11th-14th.

I will arrive on Friday so the first thing to do will be to get tickets at listicket. Passport ID is not a problem, thats a usual process in Italy anyway.

That point you bring up about Pazzini apparently being a huge Fiorentina fan is a great one Ben and one that none of us knew about either so thanks for sharing that piece of news! Very interesting! I think it was Gerd if I'm not mistaken who recently made a very good point about players often not playing their best football when they play for the clubs they support (or was it you actually? Cuz I seem to remember you made a very good point of that regarding Quagliarella and Napoli) and it's a very true but often overlooked fact.

In regards to you picking Pazzini over Dzeko, I have to disagree. I wouldn't. Not to mention Dzeko is a couple years younger as well so it's understandable that he's more expensive. Of course I think Giampaolo IS a FANTASTIC deal by Inter and considering how cheap he went, it makes it even better. So I get that part of your statement and agree in regards to the price.

As for your pm, I'll get back to that later been really busy but I think you know what you gotta do anyway and you're gonna do it very soon in Venice. I'm excited! :D

Hey lo zio, what were your impressions on Santon and Ranocchia yesterday? I missed the first goal but understand Santon got his positioning all wrong, as he did with the 2nd goal and the time when Pastore hit the post. I wonder whether we should consider a cricisto/santon straight swap. Afterall, what's a world class team like inter doing without a naturally left footed side back???
yeah, santon didn't have his best game sunday..... but then again, it's extremely easy to get caught off position against palermo, as palermo players tend to hold the ball for 2, 3 touches tops.
i don't think u should go for criscito... and i also don't think u should have gone for nagatomo..... not that i don't like him. infact i've been quite impressed by nagatomo so far.... but he's not a world class player, and i think u should only replace a player like santon with an already made world class player.
santon is a very promising youngster. he's done some great things and some quite poor performances over the last 2 seasons.... but afterall, such inconsistancy is absolutely normal for a young player like him.
the point is, santon will most likely turn out to be a very, very good sideback.... he's free (as he comes from your youth team, and he's an homegrown (wich is a huge plus). so the only player i would swap him for is a true world class sideback.... certainly not another pretty impressive youngster like nagatomo.....
as for ranocchia, u got yourselves one hell of a cb mate :))
PLF said:
In regards to you picking Pazzini over Dzeko, I have to disagree. I wouldn't. Not to mention Dzeko is a couple years younger as well so it's understandable that he's more expensive. Of course I think Giampaolo IS a FANTASTIC deal by Inter and considering how cheap he went, it makes it even better. So I get that part of your statement and agree in regards to the price.
well i'd pick pazzini probably coz i know him much better than dzeko. dzeko gives me pretty much the same feeling i had with amauri... he has absolutely everything to become a monster (and already is extremely good)... but u never know.
of course the same could be said about pazzo, but having watched pazzo pretty much on a constant basis over the years, i just can't see how he could not make it to the top.
but then again this is just a feeling. the only thing we know for sure is that both are absolutely fantastic forwards.
as for the age\price factor.... i don't know. pazzo is just 2 years older than dzeko, wich is not enough to justify such a huge pricetag difference.
but then again, even getting dzeko at 32 millions becomes an amazing bargain when u think that someone would be so stupid to pay 41 millions for a 22 years old guy with just about half a season of experience in a top league.
Das ist das! said:
lo zio, do you have a blog related to football? it'd be great pleasure to track it.
thanks for the compliment mate, but no, i don't have any blogs at all. this is the only forum\blog\site not work related i do visit infact.

palermo-juve tonite. i have a very bad feeling about this one. juventus simply must win this. after their recent poor results there's huge pressure on the coach and the players, and they'll come in palermo to play the game of their life i'm afraid.
speaking of juve, has anyone watched marchisio's goal sunday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnhsmVqeo-U
sweet! :))

I don't know how Juve snatched Matri. I always thought he'll end up with Milan in the summer. Galliani tried but Cellino didn't even give then Marotta gets him on loan. Impressive.

What's up with reports that Delio Rossi is ready to leave Palermo? Seriously, what ever happened to talking to your coach in private? Zamparini is really gonna mess this one. In other news, Raoila is the agent of Kasami and thinks he is gonna be the best. We'll have some business soon. :D

not to shabby! :APPLAUD:
to be fair a draw would have been the most appropriate result. juve weren't really nice to watch, but they had their chances (pretty good debut for matri btw)... plus there was a clear penalty (bovo's handball) the ref didn't see.... but hey, i'll gladly take those 3 points, thanks :P

we weren't exactly pretty aswell (at least compared to our standard performance.... compared to almost every other european team's usual performance, we were stunning :COOL: ), but still we were much better than i expected, as midweek games (it doesn't matter if it's europa league or serie a) usually have a killer impact on our legs.
infact miccoli was simply exhausted at the end of the game... just look at the huge miss at 2:33 of the video... nice long pass by pastore, awesome hook 'n dribble by miccoli, quick one-two with kasami... and then... LOL! that was pretty much a penalty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJlotD5ErkU&hd=1

as for kasami, zeem, i got to admit, he's been playing very, very well, recently, and i also heard a lot of "experts" saying great things about him...... who knows, maybe i was wrong and he actually is someone to look at... i guess we'll see.

i noticed something weird yesterday. juve has 4 former palermo players: grosso, barzagli, rinaudo and toni (amauri has been loaned to parma)..... and palermo has exactly 4 former juve players aswell (cassani, balzaretti, nocerino and miccoli)..... LOL!!

zeem, concerning rossi, it's not like "he's ready to leave"... but the situation is certainly becoming worriyng, as u can certainly realise from delio's interviews he's getting tired to hear zamparini's moronic comments every time we don't win.

Last edited:

I thought Pastore was quite poor against Inter, and was being lazy when the team needed to stick together towards the end.

I have a bad feeling that Rossi will step down because of Zamparini's comments one day. This would be a shame, as I think Palermo's goalie up until the midfield, is stronger than Napoli's. With Rossi and some key signings, Palermo can become a 'Fiorentina level' team, if you know what I mean (when the Viola were just behind Milan and Inter).

I'm also getting tired of Juve's management blaming calciopoli for their state of form. I think it's the wrong choice of signings, and that they're increasingly looking like Milan from last year. I think Matri is very overrated and isn't in the same level as Del Piero, Iaquinta, Amauri, Pepe etc.

About Inter - I'm not convinced by Leo. He has charisma and energy, but his tactics don't seem to be working well, especially for a side that has so much experience and tactically strong players.

And now, Milan. Poor performance imo. Pato needs to wake up - he's been disappointing in all our big games. Zlatan, on the other hand, was great! He actually has his confidence back and was creating lots of chances. He gets annoyed when teammates mess up. I thought Thiago Silva, again, was immense, but Emanuelson needs clarification on his role. He seems lost in the middle, but clearly has good ability.

Did anyone notice how everytime Flamini plays, we create much more chances?

I feel for Pato with Zlatan. All the Milan players look at Zlatan as the main focal point and pass to him at every chance, even Pato passes to Zlatan instead of dribbling or shooting and if he does that and misses he gets yelled at. Then there is reports that they clashed and are not sharing eye contact. Pato should just do his thing and man up a bit. Looks at Robinho, he misses and misses and gets yelled at and doesn't care. It is really a hard situation for Pato.

Flamini is mad, he joins the attack a lot and is very dynamic. I'd like to see how we handle his contract. It expires next season and his wages will be a problem.

And I am not understanding this Juve management. They say they can't afford Pazzini then go spend 18 mill on Matri and label him as the saviour that is going to ignite the team. Even letting go of Trezeguet because of his wages seems stupid now. At least he was proven with the team and exactly what the management was looking for this market.

Last edited:

I thought Pastore was quite poor against Inter, and was being lazy when the team needed to stick together towards the end.

I have a bad feeling that Rossi will step down because of Zamparini's comments one day. This would be a shame, as I think Palermo's goalie up until the midfield, is stronger than Napoli's. With Rossi and some key signings, Palermo can become a 'Fiorentina level' team, if you know what I mean (when the Viola were just behind Milan and Inter).
unfortunately i have the same feeling. as for the napoli comparison, i think we're pretty much on the same level. if u pick the players 1 by 1, yes, we have better players in pretty much every position..... but obviously a team isn't just a sum of individuals..... and that's where napoli catches up with palermo. they form a very good team. and although they're certainly not as entertaining as we are, they are much tougher than us (for instance, napoli would have never wasted a 2 goals lead, like we did against inter). they're more of an "english style" kinda team to me.... yes the quality is there, but the physical aspect is much more of a factor in their game than the passing.

as for pastore, yeah, he's not been in a great form in the last month.... but then again, that's pastore....even when he isn't playing at his best, he will still blow your mind with some crazy dribblings or passes (or with an assist, like yesterday).
milanista said:
I'm also getting tired of Juve's management blaming calciopoli for their state of form. I think it's the wrong choice of signings.
yeah, hearing them talking about calciopoli can become a bit annoying for a neutral fan.... but let's be honest, if palermo or milan would have gone through what juventus did, we would be doing the same.
as for the signings, yeah (huge) mistakes were made in the last few years, but this is a good team. it's not a top class team (yet), but obviously u can't build a top class team in 1 year... let's not forget juve started over from scratch this summer. this year they layed the foundations.... from next year on they will be able to get to next level. if u have to rebuild a team, u can't splash dozens of millions on world class players for each role. rebuilding a top team is a long process, and this should be considered as the first year in this new juventus project.
milan could go for ibra this season..... but that's because they already had some sort of a spine.... u already had thiago silva, abate, pato and flamini.... juventus aren't at that point yet. it's gonna take time... and patience.
but this bad form period doesn't mean that everything they've done this summer was wrong imo.
let's also remind juve is having some serious injury issues.... i mean they had to sign toni ffs! and as soon as they signed even toni got injured.
we've all been very comprehensive with inter earlier this season, precisely because they had lots of injured players.... juventus situation is even worse than inter, injuries-wise, so...

as for yesterday's game, to be honest, they have every right to complain. it was a blatant handball from bovo and the ref should have given them a penalty.

Last edited:

Juventus played decently yesterday, let's give caesar what belongs to caesar.
Still, this juve team can't really impress me. I've watched several times Juventus' games, and they lost all the ones I watched (except the Milan one)and they really lack a spine and a core organization. They don't even have good teamwork and once teams understood how to stop Krasic he kinda disappeared (I mostly think it's due to the general bad shape moment).

Talking about the team, it has some players I can't really like, including Iaquinta, Motta (worst side back in Serie A, imho), the last Sissoko (he used to be a fury, did the injuries really cut his growth this much?)and, and here I expect somebody to scold me (if somebody even cares to answer this seemingly unnecessary and probably vapid post) Bonucci. I can't really like the guy, every time I see him I see how he could be a pretty good defensive midfielder instead of a central back. He just doesn't cut it and Chiellini has to clean his mistakes (and the side backs ones) all the time, resulting in mistakes by Chiellini himself.
Aquilani, after a very good start, basically stopped playing and now is a bench warmer (for reasons that are beyond me, honestly).
tl;dr
Juventus isn't a good team yet and with this spine it won't be for a long time. Their politic of "young and italian players" won't pay off unless they start signing the actually good young italian players instead of other teams leftovers, and that will be hard as Juventus lost most of the prestige it had, resulting in Di Natale and Borriello refusing to move in Torino.

Zio has any other clue about that mess? I'd relly like to read his impression about Juventus players.

Back
Top Bottom